The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+29
I'm never wrong
Plunky
barragan
skiddy
gaelgowfer
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
kwinigolfer
super_realist
McLaren
incontinentia
1GrumpyGolfer
golfermartin
JAS
lorus59
Nay
SmithersJones
westisbest
GunsGerms
pedro
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Mad for Chelsea
ralphjohn69
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
beninho
Roller_Coaster
Shotrock
33 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sr,
1).Correct. Wonderful is right. Though in the American order of things behind the NFL, College Football, High School Football, NBA, College B'ball.
2).Not much of a market: 21,000 per home game.
3).But no other nations pay their players a fraction of this sort of bounty. He'll probably end up using PED's, just like his predecessor as highest paid.
Ridiculous money!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:18 pm

Foie gras gets extra bad press, probably because it's a posh eat. If people knew how poultry (no, not the pink panted version) and a lot of other meats were produced, they'd be vegetarians in a split second.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:30 pm

As I understand it, ducks (or geese) reared to produce foie gras have a fairly happy life compared to many animals reared for eating: allowed to roam fairly freely for most of their life, for instance. Also worth mentioning that no part of the duck is wasted: its legs (and "manchons" or wings) are turned into delicious confit, its breasts used for magret, and here they also eat the heart and gizzards (which I'll eat, but not go out of my way to do so, don't find them anything special).

I think pedro touches upon one of the reasons, though foie gras isn't a particularly posh eat in France (certainly not in the South West). Then again, it gets little bad press here either, so pedro's probably right. People are also guilty of anthropomorphising the animals IMO: you will often see the "how would you like a tube shoved down your throat?" argument, which is nonsense, since ducks don't have a gag reflex, so not really comparable. Similarly duck livers are naturally able to fatten, a process in fact used by ducks (and geese, and other migratory birds) when they migrate for the winter, to store food (in fact it was the discovery of this which led to the creation of foie gras).

Tend to agree with Smithers rather than sr on the deliciousness of it. I struggle to name a very favourite food, but if you ask me for my favourite meal, foie gras would almost certainly feature in there somewhere... Smithers: my family history quickly becomes complicated, but here goes: Mum English, Dad Australian; met in Pari, and stayed there. Two brothers and I born and brought up there, I moved down to Bordeaux to study for my PhD, and have now married a Chinese girl. Brothers currently in Toulouse and Warwick.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm

. . . . and he posts on the cricket board, not the French Cricket board either!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:03 pm

nowt wrong with a spot of cricket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n7Hx4flYes

(I'm the bearded bloke keeping wicket in the first innings)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:27 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Navy

"Mac. Maybe, but you haven't done the neurological experiments to prove that one way or the other and nor has anyone else as far as I'm aware. "

I agree, but knowing if the human brain can still function sufficiently to perform informed consent while under the influence of alcohol is an important question?
Yeah, I'd say so, potentially.

Davie wrote:Friday night devil's advocate....

I wonder how many people would have been "nous sommes Charlie" if they'd been peddling holocaust denial cartoons instead.

#JustSayin
Interesting point Davie. Not sure. Then again, I'm not sure any Jewish Parisiennes would be machine gunning the rest of the population in response though.

No they'd leave that to MOSSAD or the Simon Weisenthal organization

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 11 Jan 2015, 8:50 am

Don't be silly Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 11 Jan 2015, 10:47 pm

Self Assessment question... hope someone can help!

I bought a laptop (apx. £1k) and a couple of software packages (apx. £1.2k) for my work - assume I can claim these as expenses / capital expenditure including VAT paid? Also - can I include cost for additional warranty cover for the laptop?

Cheers.
B

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 12 Jan 2015, 7:51 am

If they are necessary for your work and are used for work only, I guess you can claim it. Try to google it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 12 Jan 2015, 8:53 am

Davie wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Davie wrote:Friday night devil's advocate....

I wonder how many people would have been "nous sommes Charlie" if they'd been peddling holocaust denial cartoons instead.

#JustSayin
Interesting point Davie. Not sure. Then again, I'm not sure any Jewish Parisiennes would be machine gunning the rest of the population in response though.

No they'd leave that to MOSSAD or the Simon Weisenthal organization
picard MOSSAD may well undertake the odd state-sponsored assassination but they don't fire assault weapons indiscriminately at innocent members of the public. I've never once heard of the Weisenthal organisation doing anything of the sort - don't be daft.

Re. fois gras - not thanks. Not because of methods - just don't like it very much. I'll happily drink some Sauternes while everyone else is eating the fois gras though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:47 pm

I love foie gras when it's in a pate or terrine, not too keen on eating it on its own. Love a bit of veal as well. It's all just so tasty.

All these animal cruelty protesters, if they came round for dinner at my house and had some parfait de foie gras on brioche toast for starter, followed by veal in a creamy calvados sauce, washed down with a nice glass of sancerre or pouilly-fume, they would soon change their tune.

I'm hungry now (where's the drool emoticon?)

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 12 Jan 2015, 1:35 pm

Can't abide cruelty to animals. Saw a documentary on Sea World and their treatment of the Orca whales recently. Very sad stuff.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

There are certainly some animals I'd be happy to see wiped off the earth.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 12 Jan 2015, 6:52 pm

super_realist wrote:There are certainly some animals I'd be happy to see wiped off the earth.

John Terry?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 12 Jan 2015, 7:29 pm

incontinentia wrote:Can't abide cruelty to animals. Saw a documentary on Sea World and their treatment of the Orca whales recently. Very sad stuff.

Did you free your willie then?

PS. I agree that animals that size don't belong in a swimming pool.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Jan 2015, 7:03 am

raycastleunited wrote:
super_realist wrote:There are certainly some animals I'd be happy to see wiped off the earth.

John Terry?

Urban seagulls would be my choice. Although I wouldn't shed a tear if a number of footballers were to get hit by a bus.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 13 Jan 2015, 8:19 am

super_realist wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

John Terry?

Urban seagulls would be my choice. Although I wouldn't shed a tear if a number of footballers were to get hit by a bus.

Simon Mignolet was nearly run over by a bus, it went through his legs though.

Haiiii thank youw...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 13 Jan 2015, 8:41 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:
super_realist wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

John Terry?

Simon Mignolet was nearly run over by a bus, it went through his legs though.

Haiiii thank youw...
Laugh I'll fetch your coat...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 13 Jan 2015, 8:55 am

This week's edition of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo will show a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad holding a "Je suis Charlie" sign.

Big respect to those guys for not backing down clap clap clap
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 13 Jan 2015, 10:20 am

Be interesting to see which UK publications and media outlets reproduce it....only the Guardian, apparently, is proposing to do so. Pretty poor from other outlets.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Jan 2015, 10:23 am

Why doesn't EVERY one just print it. They can't kill everyone. Might take a sicky if I worked in Paris tomorrow though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Jan 2015, 10:27 am

Spoiler:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 13 Jan 2015, 10:41 am

Je suis McLaren
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 13 Jan 2015, 11:08 am

incontinentia wrote:Je suis McLaren

I've heard of self-deprecating humour, but don't be too hard on yourself inco.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

Still prefer Je Suis Ahmed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:15 pm

Did it get a mention in America Kwini, or were they too busy reporting on the latest round of the Alabama Tractor Pulling competition?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

Kwini

How long do we have until the US sends over its armed forces to free Europe from the Islamic caliphate we currently live in?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:23 pm

McLaren wrote:Kwini

How long do we have until the US sends over its armed forces to free Europe from the Islamic caliphate we currently live in?

See that idiot American who said no non Muslims were allowed in Birmingham?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:34 pm

super_realist wrote:

See that idiot American who said no non Muslims were allowed in Birmingham?

Trouble is there are lots of Americans will have taken in his original statement but not his retraction and still believe it to be the truth!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:40 pm

Thinking America is pretty shocked by the carnage and realization that it could very easily happen here; especially with the moronic gun laws.
The right-of-centre wackos having a field day making derogatory slurs on the French, even worse than they normally do.

You all saw the stupidity of the interview with the CNBC guy in Ireland before Christmas - even more ignorant and worse when it comes to FOX.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:50 pm

Indeed super, that was the target of my mockery.   (And you can lump Nige in with that as well http://video.foxnews.com/v/3985683598001/nigel-farage-says-europe-has-suffered-from-moral-cowardice/?#sp=show-clips what a plonker)

Kwini

I would hope America is currently more worried about its racist militarized police force than a once in a generation freak attack in another continent.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm

Although I have had the misfortune to drive through certain parts of Birmingham, and I wish I hadn't been allowed to. What a dump.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Jan 2015, 3:20 pm

Lived in Birmingham for two years and loved it; very underestimated city, lots going on and very central for everything from beautiful countryside to underrated racecourses!

Mac,
"racist militarized police force"?
Two things:
~There is a jurisdiction that lies between the police and the courts, and that is the grand jury & prosecutor. I think you should review that dynamic and judge for yourself which is the chicken and which is the egg. You might be surprised.

~If you think Charlie Hebdo is a "once in a lifetime attack" you're extraordinarily naive, or suffering amnesia. Or, most likely, both.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 13 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

super_realist wrote:Although I have had the misfortune to drive through certain parts of Birmingham, and I wish I hadn't been allowed to. What a dump.

Great city Birmingham OK

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm

Kwini

I have no doubt that I don't understand all elements of the US legal system but the failures in instances like Ferguson were clear for all to see. You certainly have a far greater chance of becoming a victim of the US legal system than becoming a victim of terrorism. You are probably more likely to die through posting on a golf forum than being involved in an act of terrorism.

I didn't say once in a lifetime, I said generation. But in fairness I meant decade.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Jan 2015, 5:46 pm

Mac,
Don't want to quibble, but the Ferguson atrocity was put to the Grand Jury system and the GJ and Prosecutor determined that, in their view at least, the killing was justified - same in New York. Abhor the reaction of the NYPD to Mayor DiBlasio. Wan&ers.

And: Not sure the statistical facts bear out your comments of "legal system" vs "terrorism", certainly not over the past 15 years.

But I take your point.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm

Kwini

If you are a black male in the US do you really think terrorism is a bigger threat than your own legal system?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm

Yes!

The much bigger threat to most minorities in the US is the endemic, institutional racism that ensures inferior quality of education, third world health care, discrimination in the workplace and discrimination against voting rights.

Or, to put it more succinctly, Republican policy, especially in the South and South West.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

We agree then. I didn't say the US legal system was the biggest danger you faced, just that you were more likely to be harmed by it than terrorism. But yes the stuff you list or lack of providing it will harm you more.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm

My answer then was YES!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm

If you are a black male in the US do you really think terrorism is a bigger threat than your own legal system?

Surely that depends on whether you are law abiding, black or white?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 13 Jan 2015, 10:03 pm

I wonder how many people are actually killed by US police each year? My guess would be hundreds.

We have heard a few cases about white police officers killing blacks, but I guess there's all sorts of combinations, including black officers killing whites.

From the videos and accounts I've seen and heard of recent high profile shootings (including the kid on the playground) it seems to me that most of these killings are 'justifiable' - especially in a society where everybody owns a gun.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 13 Jan 2015, 10:35 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

John Terry?
JT comes across as quite likeable here though....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d89pC6flVGU

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 14 Jan 2015, 9:20 am

pedro wrote:

JT comes across as quite likeable here though....

On the assumption that SR is now going to hunt you down and utilise his semi (automatic weapon) on you, I must show support for your freedom of speech.

Je suis Pedro

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:23 am

Cheers R_C.

Oxford University Press banning the use of words like pig, pork and bacon in their publications... steam
And no, it's not a joke....
Je ne suis pas Oxford University Press!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:27 am

That can't be true can it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:39 am

If they cannot use those words, how will they be able to describe the Police?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:43 am

Unfortunately it looks like it's not a joke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2908910/Oxford-University-Press-bans-sausages-pigs-children-s-books-avoid-offending-Jews-Muslims.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/authors-of-school-books-advised-not-to-write-about-pork-9976620.html

The articles don't quite agree on what's in the guidelines or not, or indeed if they're only guidelines, or actual prohibitions. The mail suggests that "Among the things prohibited in the text that was commissioned by OUP was the following: Pigs plus sausages, or anything else which could be perceived as pork." The independant says that "Suggested guidelines for authors published by Oxford University Press (OUP) include not portraying the consumption of pork or bacon", though it's not clear whether "portraying" here means pictures, or mention of someone snacking on sausages or bacon... If the independant is correct, than Winnie-the-Pooh is OK for instance. Since I haven't found a direct quote anywhere (I didn't look particularly hard...), I can't actually tell which is correct.

Either way though, this is pure, utter, nonsense, and has in fact already been denounced as such by Jews and Muslims aside. This is beyond PC-gone-mad, into sheer and utter stupidity!! Worry that people might be offended by mention of pork? I mean, for crying out loud, why not ban all mention of animal products being consumed? Vegetarians find that distasteful I'm sure. People second-guessing what ridiculous things others might take offence too ("Happy Holidays!") is just as stupid as people taking offence for ridiculous things...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:50 am

The daily mail love being sensationalist with a headline, and twisting the words to how they want to portray them. Though why you would put a ban on pork products is beyond me, but why you would write about pork products in a childrens book is beyond me aswell.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

What about babe? That was a pretty good kids story.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Unfortunately it looks like it's not a joke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2908910/Oxford-University-Press-bans-sausages-pigs-children-s-books-avoid-offending-Jews-Muslims.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/authors-of-school-books-advised-not-to-write-about-pork-9976620.html

The articles don't quite agree on what's in the guidelines or not, or indeed if they're only guidelines, or actual prohibitions. The mail suggests that "Among the things prohibited in the text that was commissioned by OUP was the following: Pigs plus sausages, or anything else which could be perceived as pork." The independant says that "Suggested guidelines for authors published by Oxford University Press (OUP) include not portraying the consumption of pork or bacon", though it's not clear whether "portraying" here means pictures, or mention of someone snacking on sausages or bacon... If the independant is correct, than Winnie-the-Pooh is OK for instance. Since I haven't found a direct quote anywhere (I didn't look particularly hard...), I can't actually tell which is correct.

Either way though, this is pure, utter, nonsense, and has in fact already been denounced as such by Jews and Muslims aside. This is beyond PC-gone-mad, into sheer and utter stupidity!! Worry that people might be offended by mention of pork? I mean, for crying out loud, why not ban all mention of animal products being consumed? Vegetarians find that distasteful I'm sure. People second-guessing what ridiculous things others might take offence too ("Happy Holidays!") is just as stupid as people taking offence for ridiculous things...

Easier to just ban on people claiming to be offended. There we go. Job done.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next