The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+29
I'm never wrong
Plunky
barragan
skiddy
gaelgowfer
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
kwinigolfer
super_realist
McLaren
incontinentia
1GrumpyGolfer
golfermartin
JAS
lorus59
Nay
SmithersJones
westisbest
GunsGerms
pedro
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Mad for Chelsea
ralphjohn69
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
beninho
Roller_Coaster
Shotrock
33 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sr,
1).Correct. Wonderful is right. Though in the American order of things behind the NFL, College Football, High School Football, NBA, College B'ball.
2).Not much of a market: 21,000 per home game.
3).But no other nations pay their players a fraction of this sort of bounty. He'll probably end up using PED's, just like his predecessor as highest paid.
Ridiculous money!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Feb 2015, 12:45 pm

To believe that nonsense in 2015 is hysterically laughable, to expect to be respected for it, is even worse.
Murray is an imbecile on that particular matter, by definition.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon 16 Feb 2015, 2:53 pm

Maybe he would rather be an imbecile by definition then a bigot?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Feb 2015, 3:05 pm

beninho wrote:Maybe he would rather be an imbecile by definition then a bigot?

No, it makes much more sense to be intolerant of people with ridiculous, laughable and indefensible beliefs once they are expressed, otherwise you get the issues with people thinking their beliefs ought to be immune from criticism . Murray can believe whatever he wants, once their in the public realm however, they're open to the ridicule they deserve.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 16 Feb 2015, 3:10 pm

Ok. Point made, again. Can we stop bringing religion into topic!!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Feb 2015, 3:15 pm

Yeah, although, it was in the news, and this is the Anything Goes thread.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 16 Feb 2015, 4:22 pm

McLaren wrote:FFS, please tell me you aren't one of those its only a theory people?

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzsuCFUQ68

Although I think you get it and were just being awkward.  If so, it is an interesting 3 minutes anyhow.

"Hello kettle, You're black" said the Pot

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 16 Feb 2015, 5:09 pm

McIlroy should have taken PED's and lied about it for 10 years, it would have been far cheaper than messing with Horizon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/31495246
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 17 Feb 2015, 8:15 am

McLaren wrote:McIlroy should have taken PED's and lied about it for 10 years, it would have been far cheaper than messing with Horizon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/31495246

Why? was everybody else on tour taking them? On that subject do you think there are any similarities in terms of background, qualifications(lack of) and behaviour between Armstrong's doctor and Tigers "doctor".
Furthermore do you think it's coincidence that he has bulked up and as he approaches his 40's is becoming increasingly injury prone? Just saying!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 17 Feb 2015, 10:33 am

I'm quite sure a vast amount of tour players were on PED's in the 00's.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:03 am

Jas

It was a joke about the fact Lance will cough up less money for his PED escapades than McIlroy will for trying to flee Horizon. PED's cheaper than suing your management company.

On Tiger,

I would not be surprised if we found out Tiger had taken PED's that he thought were legal.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 17 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm

McLaren wrote:...It was a joke about the fact Lance will cough up less money for his PED escapades than McIlroy will for trying to flee Horizon.  PED's cheaper than suing your management company...
Except it isn't cheaper is it? That $10m is just a single hit to Armstrong. Loss of earnings now and in the future, multiple law suits etc etc. $10m is just a small part and nowhere near enough for that piece of work.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 17 Feb 2015, 6:02 pm

FFS, you are correct. It was a Poopie joke.  I apologize.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 17 Feb 2015, 7:27 pm

McLaren wrote:FFS, you are correct. It was a Poopie joke.  I apologize.
No problem. All part of the service! kiss
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Feb 2015, 9:59 am

This is old news but I have just discovered that trump plans to turn the 9th at Turnberry into a par 3. And turn the lighthouse into a half way house.

What happened to not messing with the place?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Feb 2015, 10:02 am

Have you never changed your mind Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 18 Feb 2015, 10:16 am

McLaren wrote:This is old news but I have just discovered that trump plans to turn the 9th at Turnberry into a par 3.  And turn the lighthouse into a half way house.

What happened to not messing with the place?

Don't know the course well enough to know if changing the 9th will be an improvement or not. I do recall that Trump said he'd run all his plans relating to the course by the R&A so it will be interesting to see if he does that and what happens if they say no.

I quite like the idea of a half way house though as long as your re-entry into the playing order is well managed.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:15 pm

Chelsea fans giving the English a good name abroad. Bunch of morons.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm

Almost as bad as preston fans claiming wayne rooney dived.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:21 pm

WUMming again Mac? Of course he dived - he's pretty much admitted it himself

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:23 pm

Davie, I think you need to read other peoples posts through a different prism. Is it more likely that was a joke or do you really think I Would waste my time being adamant on a golf board that rooney didn't dive?

Still, I don't think he dived. boxing
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:41 pm

If it was a joke it was a poor one. I regretted replying almost immediately (as I will probably regret replying again) - not interested in playing your games

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:54 pm

Footballers dive, its just become part of the game. It has been part of the game for decades. Though more prevalent in other countries initially. Players do whatever they can to win. Their is a lot in football that I do not like, and the constant diving is one. Football really si not as fun as it used to be, though it may be better..

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Feb 2015, 1:02 pm

Who doesn't dive? Within minutes of a match starting I have identified the more uncoordinated defenders who will be easy pickings for penalties at some point in the game. You just know some players will provide that challenge that is too easy work in a dive.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Feb 2015, 1:35 pm

I'm no United or Rooney fan but that clearly was not a dive
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm

McLaren wrote:Almost as bad as preston fans claiming wayne rooney dived.
Which he definitely did. Don't be ridiculous.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:12 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I'm no United or Rooney fan but that clearly was not a dive
Umm, beg to differ:

Spoiler:
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:15 pm

No one disputes that the keeper didn't touch him. Those defending him (including Woy) say he was taking evasive action rather than cheating.

The way I saw it - and the pictures above seem to bear this out - is that he only went down AFTER he passed the keeper. He wasn't trying to avoid contact by diving OVER him .. it was after the challenge

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:18 pm

Can anyone recommend any good documentaries or magazine type websites with documentaries?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

What subjects?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:24 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

FFS whats with all the sense of humor bypasses at the moment. Do you read everything literally on internet forums? No wonder you get worked up so often. It was just a bit of light sarcasm.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:30 pm

Taken from the Turnberry website:

On its stony ridge on the edge of the sea, the 9th hole is Turnberry's trademark. The landmark lighthouse casts shadows over the 13th century ruins of Bruce's Castle, the reputed birthplace of Scotland's hero king Robert the Bruce, and the narrow path to the tee and the drive across the corner of the bay fills players with trepidation.

Whilst it is possible the 9th might receive some work, I would say it is unlikely to be hugely changed given it is described as "Turnberry's trademark" in the literature in place which must have been reviewed by the Trump team (Trumpets?) by now. We'll see when they come out with the programme of works.

Personal opinion, I don't think the place needs much doing to it. The only rota course I have played and it was utterly stunning throughout.

Oh, and Rooney dived.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:31 pm

super_realist wrote:What subjects?

Anything really but I love vice.com's section on people living in isolation or Werner Herzogs documentary on the people of the Taiga in Siberia. Peering into places that I am never likely to visit etc.

Vice also do a good one on truck stop strippers too where two well off girls from New York swap their bohemian Manhatten lifestyle for a couple of weeks working in a road side strip joint in the South.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:32 pm

Davie wrote:No one disputes that the keeper didn't touch him. Those defending him (including Woy) say he was taking evasive action rather than cheating.

The way I saw it - and the pictures above seem to bear this out - is that he only went down AFTER he passed the keeper.  He wasn't trying to avoid contact by diving OVER him .. it was after the challenge
This cheating is a disease in the game and I don't know why they even bother asking ex-pros, managers etc their opinion - they're biased beyond belief and/or they did it themselves not so long ago or sanction it in their coaching/managerial roles.
If you're a sportsman like Rooney, at the top of the game, you don't get there with balance inherently that cr@p. He hurdled the keeper fine and then simply decided to "go down"; if contact, genuine contact, had been made, he simply wouldn't fall like that. It's pathetic and sickening. How does someone like that actually look at themselves afterward? If it'd been a Cup Final (or similar) and that had been the deciding event, how do you look on your winners' medal with any pride?
Get video replays involved with retrospective punishment. Trouble is, the suits at the top of the game (FIFA; the definition of a joke) don't give a 4X.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:36 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

FFS whats with all the sense of humor bypasses at the moment.  Do you read everything literally on internet forums?  No wonder you get worked up so often.  It was just a bit of light sarcasm.
Laugh Mac, sarcasm doesn't work on a text-based internet forum. Certainly not the way you attempt to do it i.e. w/o any clues for the reader. You want me/us to assume all that you write is bollox? Sorry, it is bollox ( Cool; see what I did there?). What I meant is, do you want everyone to assume you're not serious with everything you write?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:44 pm

Navy

You are one of the more intelligent posters (at least that it is what you tell us) so I assume you can discriminate between sarcasm and a serious post.

Given all you know about me it would be safe to assume I don't actually think accusations of diving are more serious than racial abuse.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

You are one of the more intelligent posters (at least that it is what you tell us) so I assume you can discriminate between sarcasm and a serious post.

Given all you know about me it would be safe to assume I don't actually think accusations of diving are more serious than racial abuse.
surely that should read 'only' posters. Spent a year away and nothings changed... Any new members or just the same half dozen keyboard warriors yapping about the same old, same old?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:13 pm

monty

Not sure how many new posters we have. The odd new face pops up now and again. Thankfully we have some great posters among the few who do post on here so it is worth visiting the site often.

I would also prefer if you referred to me as a social justice warrior and not a keyboard warrior. Although I use a keyboard to type my messages I feel they warrant more credit than the mere medium through which they are communicated. The likes of Davie are forever thankful for the enlightenment I provide and I would hate see their confidence knocked by such a dismissive tone.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

Well it seems to be the same heroic few keeping these boards alive. Oh for the return of Maverick with his tales of derring-do about his incredible but ultimately mythical daughter.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:44 pm

Unfortunately it's golf. Quite a lot of same old same old to type dribble about.

Good stuff does appear (Kwin's notes remain a well crafted highlight, not to belittle other contrtibutions) and there are indeed some good posters and posts, just not as many as perhaps there could be. I don't peruse other golf forums, is there much out and about that we miss out on or ignore while we wind each other up about the minutae of existance?

Oh, apparently some of us also occasionally go and play the game too.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Feb 2015, 4:07 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:I'm no United or Rooney fan but that clearly was not a dive
Umm, beg to differ:

Those pictures prove the keeper didn't touch him, not that it wasn't the correct decision to give a penalty. Yes Rooney 'dived' over the challenge, but did he 'dive' as in cheat? Not a chance. Taking evasive action is exactly what he was doing. I don't really see how that can be questioned to be honest.

Did the goalkeeper get the ball? No. Had Rooney not jumped out the way would he have been tripped? Yes. Is there an obligation to leave your leg there to be snapped for it to be any more or less of a foul? No of course not.

Ergo, how did he cheat? and how is that not a penalty?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Feb 2015, 4:37 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

Don't be daft. I've never said anything of the sort but don't let the facts get in the way of a post. What are my qualifications? Any ideas?
The point is, one can't often tell if you're being sarcastic or not. It's not clear from what you write or the way you write it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

McLaren wrote:monty

Not sure how many new posters we have.  The odd new face pops up now and again.  Thankfully we have some great posters among the few who do post on here so it is worth visiting the site often.

I would also prefer if you referred to me as a social justice warrior and not a keyboard warrior.  Although I use a keyboard to type my messages I feel they warrant more credit than the mere medium through which they are communicated.  The likes of Davie are forever thankful for the enlightenment I provide and I would hate see their confidence knocked by such a dismissive tone.
Now, that's more like it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Feb 2015, 4:43 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Umm, beg to differ:

Those pictures prove the keeper didn't touch him, not that it wasn't the correct decision to give a penalty. Yes Rooney 'dived' over the challenge, but did he 'dive' as in cheat? Not a chance. Taking evasive action is exactly what he was doing. I don't really see how that can be questioned to be honest.

Did the goalkeeper get the ball? No. Had Rooney not jumped out the way would he have been tripped? Yes. Is there an obligation to leave your leg there to be snapped for it to be any more or less of a foul? No of course not.

Ergo, how did he cheat? and how is that not a penalty?
Sorry. He cheated. He didn't have to go over. No way, no how. Ergo, he's a cheat. The evasive action is to jump over the leg, which Rooney did, but he had no need, whatsoever, to fall over like a sack of spuds.
I'm sorry, but it is not up to players to "make up a Referee's mind". That's spurious cheat-talk. By all means complain if a Ref doesn't give something but you don't take, or try to take, the Laws into your own hands.
Great game, sadly too often ruined by some (many?) of the players and coaches involved.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Feb 2015, 5:27 pm

So it's only a foul if he absolutely had to go over. If a guy catches you a bit but you could stay up you are obliged to? So he essentially had to leave his leg there to be snapped for the tackle to qualify as a foul? I'm sorry Navy, thats nonsense

I suspect we will not come to an agreement on this one!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 18 Feb 2015, 8:26 pm

I've never yet seen a fair decision made where there was no contact.

Sure - give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he is diving/cheating and getting a booking. Personally I'd have given him a yellow for diving - but I can see the doubt in that. But there was no contact, and IMO no intent - so no penalty.

By your definition, what about ... "well I thought he was going to swing a punch at me so I took evasive action just in case and fell over" ... should that be a penalty too?

and where does this talk of getting legs snapped come from? The keeper's challenge was in no way a leg breaker - of we've all seen legs broken in fairly innocuous challenges - but to talk about getting legs broken in this example is just leading to way to making football totally non-contact. Tragic accidents occur and maybe Shrek COULD have come out with a broken leg - but it would hardly have been premeditated

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 18 Feb 2015, 8:55 pm

Dive yes.
Penalty yes.
If the keeper lunges in like that he has to take the ball.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 18 Feb 2015, 8:58 pm

Show me the law that says a tackler has to take the ball or it's a foul.

That is just as ridiculous as saying "he got the ball" when someone goes through two footed and gets the ball but leaves someone with a broken leg.

A challenge can be harmless without getting the ball just as one can be reckless when he does get the ball

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Feb 2015, 9:07 pm

Davie wrote:By your definition, what about ... "well I thought he was going to swing a punch at me so I took evasive action just in case and fell over" ... should that be a penalty too?

Err if the guy swung a punch then obviously a penalty yes. If you get out the way does that make it less of a penalty? Err no. Haven't you just disproved your own point??

No the tackle may not have actually snapped his leg but that's not the point is it.  The point is you are allowed to move out of the way of something that appears dangerous, without making the action itself more or less serious.

Would the keeper have tripped Rooney had Rooney not avoided it? Quite clearly he would. That would have been a penalty, no debate. Why does the fact that he did manage to avoid getting clattered change that?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 18 Feb 2015, 9:30 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Err if the guy swung a punch then obviously a penalty yes. If you get out the way does that make it less of a penalty? Err no. Haven't you just disproved your own point??
I think what Davie means is that the one player thought another player was going to punch him, without him actually raising a hand. A bit extreme example but I get his point.

What would be your view if a player was running down the wing. Opposition player comes in with a sliding tackle - lets make it easier - studs up - but totally mis times it and the first player has raced past the other player by yards before the second player gets to where the first one was. Foul? I don't think so.
Same argument here. #stayonyourfeet

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Feb 2015, 9:38 pm

It's nothing like the same argument?!
The goalkeeper would have tripped Rooney. Is anyone doubting that?! If so then wow.

Rooney hadn't gone miles past him and then fell. He was going to fall either way. Whether that be because the keeper tripped him or because he lifted his legs to avoid it, he was going over.

The punch example is a bad one because this wasn't a situation where he went over expecting something that never came. It came.

A better question would be if a guy throws a punch is it not a penalty if I get out the way? Answers?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next