The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

+37
doctornickolas
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
Blueschief
LordDowlais
TBJ9625
munkian
Don Blues
Stone Motif
PhilBB
Fanster
Chunky Norwich
PenfroPete
Welshmushroom
dragon4life
tatterd
XR
Jhamer25
formerly known as Sam
Welly
RDW
Notch
VinceWLB
Comfort
SecretFly
George Carlin
Liam
wayne
Luckless Pedestrian
glamorganalun
Steffan
rumpelstiltskindoh
ScarletSpiderman
LondonTiger
The Saint
Hound of Harrow
wales606
41 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 7 Empty Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by wales606 Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Prop
Gethin Jenkins, Taufa'ao Filise, Craig Mitchell, Sam Hobbs, Scott Andrews, Thomas Davies, Dillon Lewis

Hooker
Matthew Rees, Kristian Dacey, Rhys Williams, Ethan Lewis

2nd Row
Jarrad Hoeata, James Down, Lou Reed, Chris Dicomidis, Miles Normandale

Flanker
Sam Warburton, Josh Turnbull, Macauley Cook, Ellis Jenkins, Josh Navidi, Jevon Groves, Ben Roach

Eight
Manoa Vosawai

Scrum half
Tavis Knoyle, Lloyd Williams, Lewis Jones, Tomos Williams

Fly half
Rhys Patchell, Gareth Anscombe, Gareth Davies, Jarrod Evans, Will Thomas

Centre
Cory Allen, Gavin Evans, Richard Smith, Tom Pascoe, Adam Thomas, Garyn Smith, Ray Lee-Lo

Wing
Alex Cuthbert, Harry Davies, Owen Jenkins, Chris Knight, Tom Williams, Tom James

Full back
Blaine Scully, Dan Fish, Geraint Walsh, Aled Summerhill

Last edited by wales606 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 7 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Steffan Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:42 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:Meanwhile at Sardis today; Ponty 40-10 Cardiff.
Surprised this game kicked off while the Greens (Go Greens!) were playing at Dave Parade.
I was there. Superb performance by Jarrod Evans. Ponty's offloading is awesome and you can see why we are top of the league. Bring on the Keys in the cup next weekend

OLE

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/amateur-rugby/pontypridd-40-v-10-cardiff-8982980

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 7 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:53 am

I was a bit surprised by the crowd figure for the Ponty v Cardiff game. It's probably pretty good for a semi pro game, but I thought that game would sell around 4000 tickets minimum.

Also, amateur rugby is the section they have it under? Semi-pro is a bit more accurate surely?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:55 am

vomit That Ponty kit too

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:29 pm

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Meanwhile at Sardis today; Ponty 40-10 Cardiff.
Surprised this game kicked off while the Greens (Go Greens!) were playing at Dave Parade.
I was there. Superb performance by Jarrod Evans. Ponty's offloading is awesome and you can see why we are top of the league. Bring on the Keys in the cup next weekend

OLE

Yes I can.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I was a bit surprised by the crowd figure for the Ponty v Cardiff game. It's probably pretty good for a semi pro game, but I thought that game would sell around 4000 tickets minimum.

Also, amateur rugby is the section they have it under? Semi-pro is a bit more accurate surely?

Good spot. Not sure what section would be the most accurate actually. Steff's happy though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:43 pm

Risca Rev wrote:vomit That Ponty kit too

Got blue in it if i'm not mistaken. With black shorts too! What's going on Steff?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:11 am

Blues have supposedly signed Cam Dolan. Watched his highlight reel, quite similar to Ardron only taller by about 2 inches. Played for the saints, but I don't think his kind of style would suite their gameplan. Should suite the pro12 far more. Can see him being converted to Lock though, looking at his frame and height (6 foot 6)

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:26 am

LordDowlais wrote:Blues have supposedly signed Cam Dolan. Watched his highlight reel, quite similar to Ardron only taller by about 2 inches. Played for the saints, but I don't think his kind of style would suite their gameplan. Should suite the pro12 far more. Can see him being converted to Lock though, looking at his frame and height (6 foot 6)

Cardiff blues should get one of these.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:45 am

The Billy Millard effect continues.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:35 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:27 pm

George Carlin wrote:Your finest banter required and appreciated:
https://www.606v2.com/t58493-glasgow-warriors-v-cardiff-blues-10-april
OK

I've already contributed. That's it from me. Probably.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 pm

bluesfamily = dysfunctional.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Peter Thomas on Jamie Roberts;

"Cardiff Blues chairman Peter Thomas says he’s “very optimistic” of bringing Wales and Lions star Jamie Roberts back to the Arms Park on a four-year deal.

"We feel that his home is back here. He is a Cardiff boy and his heart and soul is in this club."

“I know he would like to captain Cardiff Blues one day."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/we-very-optimistic-jamie-roberts-9021778

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Roberts is working out how he can avoid playing for the Cardiff as he will be the only one tackling. I suspect none of the other Welsh teams want a part time centre which will pose a problem he will end up in the Aviva.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:33 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Roberts is working out how he can avoid playing for the Cardiff as he will be the only one tackling. I suspect none of the other Welsh teams want a part time centre which will pose a problem he will end up in the Aviva.

Most likely. Surely the Dragons wouldn't say no though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:53 am

The Dragons don't need him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:13 am

Not even if we have four other absentees in the centre? Him and Morgan would be an ace partnership. You'd be deluded to think otherwise.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:46 am

I think what LP was saying that the money we would have to use on Roberts would be better spent somewhere else eg 10 or LH prop as centre is not top priority in positions we need imo

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:19 am

dragon4life wrote:I think what LP was saying that the money we would have to use on Roberts would be better spent somewhere else eg 10 or LH prop as centre is not top priority in positions we need imo

You'd have to be psychic to have dissected that sort of information just from that post. Roberts would be on a DC so would not be that expensive I guess. We need strengthening in those areas I agree, but I wouldn't say no to Roberts.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:24 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Roberts is working out how he can avoid playing for the Cardiff as he will be the only one tackling. I suspect none of the other Welsh teams want a part time centre which will pose a problem he will end up in the Aviva.

Well he wants to play top flight Rugby, namely European cup, the Blues are nowhere near that standard yet, it would be a step backwards for Roberts to join the Blues, but they seriously need a player like him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:49 pm

IronMike wrote:

Well he wants to play top flight Rugby, namely European cup, the Blues are nowhere near that standard yet, it would be a step backwards for Roberts to join the Blues, but they seriously need a player like him.

To show they mean business more than anything. Will help attract a top coach I suppose. Saying that; Pieman, his mates and all their tennis partners.....meh.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Cardiff Dave, what's your view on Mr Pies? Good for the Blues? A necessary evil? Or a problem?

Or is it a can of worms better left unopened with you???!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Griff wrote:Cardiff Dave, what's your view on Mr Pies? Good for the Blues? A necessary evil? Or a problem?

Needs to hand over the reins imho. For all the good he's done with his cash, he's also annoyed the fan base big time over many years and the CCS shambles will never go away. Even now he's banging on about who he wants to sign. I want the rugby bloke in charge saying that and not him.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:Cardiff Dave, what's your view on Mr Pies? Good for the Blues? A necessary evil? Or a problem?

Needs to hand over the reins imho. For all the good he's done with his cash, he's also annoyed the fan base big time over many years and the CCS shambles will never go away. Even now he's banging on about who he wants to sign. I want the rugby bloke in charge saying that and not him.

Yes, I can see the problems this can cause. I've always been undecided on the old 'sugar daddy' argument: great that they can inject some extra cash above and beyond what the club can produce and perhpas above what some competitors (clubs) can do themselves. But on the flip side they perhaps have have too much power, too much influence, and if they walk away that could be the club/region down the pan. One way to look at it is that Pies controls 1/4 of pro rugby in Wales. Yikes! But then he's put a shed load of cash in, so why shouldn't he call some shots. Tough one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes, I can see the problems this can cause. I've always been undecided on the old 'sugar daddy' argument: great that they can inject some extra cash above and beyond what the club can produce and perhpas above what some competitors (clubs) can do themselves. But on the flip side they perhaps have have too much power, too much influence, and if they walk away that could be the club/region down the pan. One way to look at it is that Pies controls 1/4 of pro rugby in Wales. Yikes! But then he's put a shed load of cash in, so why shouldn't he call some shots. Tough one.

Up to the board I spose and to put it another way; a famous capital city club in an ideal city centre location should be doing a lot better than it is at present. It's all there on a plate yet he employs amateur coaches in Ponty and Pop.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:21 am

Whilst I was enjoying my Sunday afternoon aperitifs in the club yesterday whilst watching the Dragons game, I got talking to a very good friend of Peter Thomas, he told me that he has spoken to Peter and he has said that Jamie Roberts WILL be playing at Blues next season, apparently Jamie has been offered a DC and he has accepted it, I think Peter is going to buy him out of the last year of his contract with Racing Metro, and then he will be on DC at Cardiff Blues, so make of this what you will, I then checked on line this morning and I found this:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/we-very-optimistic-jamie-roberts-9021778

So make up your own minds people, I think Peter Thomas is deluded if he thinks Jamie is going to be playing at Blues next season, but if he does go, it will not be for rugby reasons, the team is a joke at the minute, if he does go there it will be to go home and that is it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:30 am

Has Thomas got money to burn?! Buying Roberts out of a years contract will probably cost around €500,000. That's a huge amount for a player the Blues will only part own and will only play a limited number of games (even less in a World Cup year?).

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:34 am

Griff wrote:Has Thomas got money to burn?! Buying Roberts out of a years contract will probably cost around €500,000. That's a huge amount for a player the Blues will only part own and will only play a limited number of games (even less in a World Cup year?).

Apparently, he will not be on a DC straight away, he will be on a hefty Blues contract for the first year, then after that he will get a DC. So I do not think he would miss much games at first. Also, I have been speaking to a lot of peopl about these DC, and the amount of games they can play might not be as little as some people are thinking.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:23 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Got blue in it if i'm not mistaken. With black shorts too! What's going on Steff?
Thankfully we were playing in the more aesthetically pleasing white kit on Saturday when we beat Cross Keys to get to yet another cup final at the Millennium Stadium

Also well done to Cardiff rugby club on actually putting an acceptable number of bar staff on this time to accommodate for all us Ponty ruffians wanting to drink lots of beer and act like the lowlives that we are Very Happy

OLE

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Thankfully we were playing in the more aesthetically pleasing white kit on Saturday when we beat Cross Keys to get to yet another cup final at the Millennium Stadium

Also well done to Cardiff rugby club on actually putting an acceptable number of bar staff on this time to accommodate for all us Ponty ruffians wanting to drink lots of beer and act like the lowlives that we are Very Happy

OLE

Good to hear Steff. Hope you laid back country folk behaved yewer selves.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Griff wrote:Has Thomas got money to burn?! Buying Roberts out of a years contract will probably cost around €500,000. That's a huge amount for a player the Blues will only part own and will only play a limited number of games (even less in a World Cup year?).

Yes.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:32 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Whilst I was enjoying my Sunday afternoon aperitifs in the club yesterday whilst watching the Dragons game, I got talking to a very good friend of Peter Thomas, he told me that he has spoken to Peter and he has said that Jamie Roberts WILL be playing at Blues next season, apparently Jamie has been offered a DC and he has accepted it, I think Peter is going to buy him out of the last year of his contract with Racing Metro, and then he will be on DC at Cardiff Blues, so make of this what you will, I then checked on line this morning and I found this:-

So make up your own minds people, I think Peter Thomas is deluded if he thinks Jamie is going to be playing at Blues next season, but if he does go, it will not be for rugby reasons, the team is a joke at the minute, if he does go there it will be to go home and that is it.

Maybe it's an ego thing. I dunno.
Anyway, hope the new head coach bloke they're looking for, prefers a Jamie Roberts at 12 rather than a Matt Giteau type.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes.

Then I would suggest to him that he buys two €250k players instead and wait to get Roberts for free at the end of next season. Much better use of funds.

I should be running a pie company... Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes.

Then I would suggest to him that he buys two €250k players instead and wait to get Roberts for free at the end of next season. Much better use of funds.

It will not cost anything like that to buy Roberts out of his contract. RM92 don't want to be paying his salary next year when he will spend more of the time at the WC.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes.

I'd suggest something different.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes.

Here's your chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes.

Here's your chance.

Said it before. He should go imo.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes.

Here's your chance.

Soz, thought you meant you had a better suggestion about what to spend the Roberts money on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:43 pm

I saw somewhere on the Welsh richest list back in 2011 that Peter Thomas was worth a reported 225 million.  Is that right?

I think the number one priority is to get a coach but I don't really know if Hammett leaving was down to family reasons, player revolt or a lack of support from the board.  The problem is given the track record of coaches coming in and out, who can they attract to bring in, given that coach has got to be thinking about the potential of being out of a job again after a season has passed.  Don't imagine candidates will come knocking for this.  I agree with you as well Dave as I don't think the recruitment being run by what looks like the Owner is the way to go.  Can't see any head coach being happy with not bringing in his own staff or players.  I'm assuming that any coach coming in cant bring in backroom staff as I thought I heard Peter mentioned the current incumbents are safe in their posts.

And that will lead to bigger problems.  Without a top quality coach signing they will struggle to bring in calibre players and I have to agree with Jiffy that the current squad overall simply isn't up to pro rugby.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yes.

Here's your chance.

Soz, thought you meant you had a better suggestion about what to spend the Roberts money on.

I see. I tend to agree with your suggestion btw.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:I saw somewhere on the Welsh richest list back in 2011 that Peter Thomas was worth a reported 225 million.  Is that right?

I think the number one priority is to get a coach but I don't really know if Hammett leaving was down to family reasons, player revolt or a lack of support from the board.  The problem is given the track record of coaches coming in and out, who can they attract to bring in, given that coach has got to be thinking about the potential of being out of a job again after a season has passed.  Don't imagine candidates will come knocking for this.  I agree with you as well Dave as I don't think the recruitment being run by what looks like the Owner is the way to go.  Can't see any head coach being happy with not bringing in his own staff or players.  I'm assuming that any coach coming in cant bring in backroom staff as I thought I heard Peter mentioned the current incumbents are safe in their posts.

And that will lead to bigger problems.  Without a top quality coach signing they will struggle to bring in calibre players and I have to agree with Jiffy that the current squad overall simply isn't up to pro rugby.

Steady on and i'm not Brian Clough.
You're quite correct though. There's a lot not right at Thomas Towers. All inside out and back to front if you ask me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:18 am

I have good news for all Blues fans. Come this time next season the Blues will have a home Pro12 semi-final lined up, and will be in the Challenge Cup semi-finals too.

Rumour has it the one and only Sean Holley is headed your way.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:29 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Well, in fairness, he couldn't make things worse.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:07 am

prepare for death by a thousand stats

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:11 am

GavinDragon wrote:prepare for death by a thousand stats

Blues players could probably use a few stats. Like missed tackles,...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:25 am

wales606 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Well, in fairness, he couldn't make things worse.

It would be very interesting to see what he would do there, he always has the answers when he is on Scrum V.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 am

he strikes me as someone who doesnt really have the respect of top players

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 am

GavinDragon wrote:he strikes me as someone who doesnt really have the respect of top players

I agree, but if he has the Chief as his right hand man, that could be a good partnership.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 am

MFL

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:05 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I have good news for all Blues fans.  Come this time next season the Blues will have a home Pro12 semi-final lined up, and will be in the Challenge Cup semi-finals too.

Tell me you're kidding.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next