The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread

+52
HongKongCherry
Hammersmith harrier
doctor_grey
Ozzy3213
stub
wrfc1980
george doors
Duty281
VinceWLB
Liam
Nachos Jones
bedfordwelsh
JDizzle
Sgt_Pooly
mystiroakey
Heaf
LeinsterFan4life
TightHEAD
Rory_Gallagher
IanBru
Hood83
The Saint
FecklessRogue
Steve_rugby
Breadvan
malky1963
Notch
nathan
sirtidychris
WELL-PAST-IT
robbo277
gregortree
Cowshot
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Scottrf
Rugby Fan
lostinwales
BamBam
LondonTiger
majesticimperialman
Pot Hale
MichaelT
quinsforever
englandglory4ever
Chjw131
SecretFly
bluestonevedder
dummy_half
nobbled
HammerofThunor
yappysnap
56 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread - Page 4 Empty England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread

Post by yappysnap Wed 11 Feb 2015, 10:45 am

First topic message reminder :

England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread - Page 4 Englan11   England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread - Page 4 Italy_11
ENGLAND v ITALY
14 February 2015
KO: 14:30
Twickenham Stadium

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU)
AR1: Pascal Gauzere (FFR)
AR2: Mike Fraser (NZR)
TMO: George Ayoub (ARU)

So England have confirmed an unchanged squad after Parling is still ruled out injured.

ENGLAND's 23

Starting XV: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby). George Ford (Bath Rugby), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), George Kruis (Saracens), James Haskell (Wasps), Chris Robshaw (captain, Harlequins), Billy Vunipola (Saracens).

Replacements: Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons), Nick Easter (Harlequins), Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby).

ITALY
Luke McLean; Leonardo Sarto, Luca Morisi, Andrea Masi, Giovanbattista Venditti; Kelly Haimona, Edoardo Gori; Alberto DeMarchi, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Martin Castrogiovanni; George Biagi, Marco Bortolami; Francesco Minto, Mauro Bergamasco, Sergio Parisse.
Replacements: Andrea Manici, Matias Aguero, Dario Chistolini, Joshua Furno, Samuela Vunisa, Guglielmo Palazzani, Tommaso Allan, Giulio Bisegni

Last edited by yappysnap on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 10:12 pm; edited 4 times in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

When will the pundits learn, we're never as good as you lot so and never as bad as you lot say

nathan

Back to top Go down

England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England v Italy - Squads and Match Thread

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

You must give full credit to Italy they have not just come to make up the numbers.

Very good try from Parrise n the first half. England are having to fight for every thing.

Looking forward to the second half.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

When we had no creativity in the team there was a place for the raw talents of May, now we have JJ, Watson we don't need May in the team. Butchering a 3 on 2 in the 22 at this level is truly shocking.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

Heaf wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:He lost possession when it touched the ground..
nah. was pretty clear on the replay. lucky thing was that the tmo had such a great angle. usually you cant see the ball there so assume it wasnt grounded. he clearly never lost control of it.

looked fine to me - clear shot of the ball touching the ground and his arm was still around it

I think it was fine also, but in real time it didn't look like it. Replay showed the ball on the ground and the reverse angle showed he was controlling it

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:26 pm

Johnny May has zero brain, botched 3 in 1, useless!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:26 pm

suspect when england empty the bench at 50-60mins the scoreline will widen.

ok first half from england, poor tactics trying to spread it too much too early imo. gain set-piece dominance, punch holes around the ruck to commit defenders, then the space will open up around the rest of the pitch

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:27 pm

May is fine. He's done plenty of good things. The 3 on 2 wasnt definite and there is a good chance all a pass would have done was mean that someone else would be blamed

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:28 pm

lostinwales wrote:May is fine. He's done plenty of good things. The 3 on 2 wasnt definite and there is a good chance all a pass would have done was mean that someone else would be blamed

Pull the other one, even Glaws fans can't defended Mays performance.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:28 pm

I think SL is going to go nuts . Because that was way to scrapy.

But what I like about this england these days is that we score tries.. And we can against anyone.. Hopefully we can do exactly what we did last week and pick up the intensity 10 fold second half.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:29 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
quinsforever wrote:joseph. 2 matches. 2 tries. move over guscott and greenwood, the future has arrived.

He is an incredible player, but I can see him being shifted to the wing or something to bring Tuilagi back in at 13.

I think it would be a terrible mistake. He is a far far better player than Tuilagi. If there was a way to turn Tuilagi into a functioning 12, I'd do it, but I don;t think he has the brains. I'd keep him as a great impact player, personally.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:29 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
lostinwales wrote:May is fine. He's done plenty of good things. The 3 on 2 wasnt definite and there is a good chance all a pass would have done was mean that someone else would be blamed

All players make mistakes, so long as they learn from

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:31 pm

I really like Del Fava as a pundit. Adds a lot to the BBC team.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:31 pm

All he does is crab and run into traffic, I'd much prefer Wade to be given a shot. May is utterly brainless

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:31 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
quinsforever wrote:joseph. 2 matches. 2 tries. move over guscott and greenwood, the future has arrived.

He is an incredible player, but I can see him being shifted to the wing or something to bring Tuilagi back in at 13.

I think it would be a terrible mistake. He is a far far better player than Tuilagi. If there was a way to turn Tuilagi into a functioning 12, I'd do it, but I don;t think he has the brains. I'd keep him as a great impact player, personally.

I don't think he's better than Manu, I think there different types of players that could be used in different games.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:32 pm

TightHEAD wrote:

OK the 3 on 1 was poor but hes been fine otherwise

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:32 pm

With the main match of the weekend on tomorrow Whistle I am obviously watching from a neutral POV so a few things from me.

Marler has impressed me hugely and changed by opinion of him, bit disappointed in Billy V though. With Morgan injured I really thought he would have grabbed this chance better.

Haskell again looking good, May, what an utter blunder but Joseph is class. Funny to think he might not have been picked if others hadn't been injured.

Fully expect England to kick on from here now even if it should be 8-5 not 15- 5 Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:33 pm

Joseph is a more rounded player than Manu without question. Tuilagi's physicality is something special though.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:33 pm

JDizzle wrote:I really like Del Fava as a pundit. Adds a lot to the BBC team.

Me too, a great addition.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:34 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:With the main match of the weekend on tomorrow Whistle I am obviously watching from a neutral POV so a few things from me.

Marler has impressed me hugely and changed by opinion of him, bit disappointed in Billy V though.  With Morgan injured I really thought he would have grabbed this chance better.

Haskell again looking good, May, what an utter blunder but Joseph is class.  Funny to think he might not have been picked if others hadn't been injured.

Fully expect England to kick on from here now even if it should be 8-5 not 15- 5 Wink

JJ Has been picked before but he didn't really show his form that he has now.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:34 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Even compare how well he scored his try compared to how May butchered the 3 on 1. He saw that Sarto was in 2 minds and exploited it, had Sarto moved in for the tackle that pass would have went. Very clever player, keeps the head up and is able to make those split second decisions that separate the good players from the great. So far I am very impressed with him.

Also, JJ looks like a much scarier player to play against than Tuilagi. Much harder to mark than a big bruising runner.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:36 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I would hold off calling Joseph "incredible" until we've seen a few more games from him.

I would seriously hope he isn't just shuffled over when Manu comes back. Manu has to prove his form for Tigers first.

No player should be automatic.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:36 pm

nathan wrote:
Hood83 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I don't think he's better than Manu, I think there different types of players that could be used in different games.

Yeah i can accept that. I can't make my mind up. Sometimes I feel like Tuilagi against the Saffas for example is a good idea. But given Joseph stood up so well against the Welsh backs, I feel like Joseph is the best bet in most scenarios. I think the main challenge will be when he's up against exceptional defenders like De Villiers or Conrad Smith.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:37 pm

Someone had a word with billy, seems to be up for carrying a bit more this half

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm

The thing with Manu as with Roberts is you know what you're going to get and can deal with that threat much easier.  Players like Jospeh and hopefully Williams for us tomorrow is the unknown.

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm

Well done George ford
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

And billy
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

May!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm

Youngs dithering as usual

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:39 pm

Should be yellow
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:39 pm

great work ford

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:40 pm

Hood83 wrote:Youngs dithering as usual

How is he meant to get the ball out when there's an Italian with his hands on it?

Last edited by nathan on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:40 pm

Attwood is making the shirt his own
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:41 pm

England should run away with this now.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Attwood is making the shirt his own

Is SL the type of coach to stick with these guys now or will the likes of Lawes, Launchbury and Manu walk straight back in?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

Yeah Attwood is doing a lot of really good stuff in the tight.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:England should run away with this now.

No surprise if they do really, Italy always make it difficult for 50 odd minutes then sides in general pull away.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:43 pm

is it just me or is youngs poor today?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:44 pm

All the Bath boys are doing great
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

quinsforever wrote:is it just me or is youngs poor today?

I suspect hood with agree lol

Not his best game, but the Italians are making a mess of the breakdowns.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

Ford and JJ have added the intelligence and spark that the England team has been missing for so long. They're a scary team now. Capable of Grand Slam for sure. Bringing back Tuilagi and Farrell would be step backwards.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

That' was weak
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve_rugby Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

Well played Italy, but stupid of Ford kicking the ball away.

Steve_rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

Italy playing some really good attacking rugby atm, but England's defence has left a lot to be desired

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

Atwoods fault on that one

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

England need to pull their socks up here. Italy are threating, and England are missing too many tackles.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

nice try.

ref does need to start pinging the italian slowing down and not rolling away now. its starting to be a bit too obvious for me.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

Both sides look very scrappy today...down to individuals making the most of poor defences.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

England have been useless. But well done Italy. Please can we just have two decent performances in a row?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:47 pm

Prop and 2nd row vs a speedster Only one winner
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:47 pm

Dads army on, will he be able to keep up with the Italians?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next