The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+7
SimonofSurrey
jimbohammers
kingdaveeagle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 25 Jun 2015, 3:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD HAS BEEN NAMED FOR THE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST GLOUCESTERSHIRE AT THE KIA OVAL STARTING ON SATURDAY 27TH JUNE.
Rory Burns is named in the squad having recovered from his collision with Moises Henriques a fortnight ago. Jason Roy king returns again  Wink  to the squad having helped England beat New Zealand in the recent One Day International and T20 Series.
The Surrey squad to play Gloucestershire in the LV=County Championship at the Kia Oval on Saturday 27th June, Sunday 28th June, Monday 29th June and Tuesday 30th June :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
James Burke
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Matthew Dunn
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Tim Linley
Jason Roy
Dominic Sibley
Gary Wilson
Luke Fletcher has gone back to notts Sad and Aneesh Kapil misses out from the squad named against derbyshire
There is also a return to the squad for Matthew Dunn Smile
yet again Stuart meaker and Vikram solanki miss out
for me younger curran,foakes and sibley to miss out
over to you guys  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

Excellent batting display by Surrey - a commanding position. Let's hope we can pickup 3/4 wickets this evening
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 4:30 pm

TC!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 4:56 pm

Olly wrote:TC!

TOMMY C!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 5:04 pm

Olly wrote:

TOMMY C!!

TOMMY FRICKIN CURRAN!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 5:12 pm

Olly wrote:
Olly wrote:

TOMMY C!!

TOMMY FRICKIN CURRAN!!!

BOW AT HIS FEET PEOPLE WHAT A SPELL TOMMY C!!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 5:20 pm

Olly - well did you make that wager yesterday? Some think Sam's going to be even better! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 5:25 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - well did you make that wager yesterday? Some think Sam's going to be even better! Very Happy

I can't find odds anywhere Sad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 5:28 pm

The Devon destroyer in on the act now!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:00 pm

need a couple more before close Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:06 pm

Great work by Curran and Burke. Why though has Burke only bowled 3 overs? We currently have Dunn and Ansari bowling - the two who haven't taken any wickets!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:20 pm

Just come back in.  Wow! Surrey clap clap  Cracking bowling by Curran and Burke.  And Norah earlier gave the Surrey innings a bit of much needed impetus.  Never doubted the Surrey tactics Very Happy   Or at least not much.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:27 pm

Applying the usual minimum requirement of having taken at least 10 wickets, Burke (he's now got 12) must be around the top of the national averages. clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm

Maybe Burke will turn out to be better than Syd Barnes Wink  (No pressure Very Happy )

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:48 pm

And a fifth wicket for Curran, who has currently taken 5 - 17.  Yahoo Yahoo

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:53 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:And a fifth wicket for Curran, who has currently taken 5 - 17.  Yahoo Yahoo
notworthy notworthy notworthy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:54 pm

no letting the tail wagg please surrey warning

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 28 Jun 2015, 6:59 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:all out 448
last 3 wkts 5 runs raspberry

Cheer up grumpy old jimbobgooner: looked at another way, our last 4 wickets - ie Foakes plus the tail - added 129. That was the difference between  a reasonable middling first innings score and a commanding total to put Glos under immediate pressure to have to bat well to head off the follow on. So far, the subsequent 34 overs have shown what that kind of pressure can do. I agree that our ability to finish off their first innings reasonably quickly tomorrow, ideally well before lunch (...or not Whistle ), could be crucial.

Looking forward to coming up to HQ tomorrow for Day 3 - guildford, drop me a line here if you make it there too during the day.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 7:05 pm

An exceptional days work for the Surrey players today. Adding well over 150 runs for the final five wickets in the morning, and then to take 7 (!) wickets in the final session is great stuff.

Tom Curran gets better and better each week! The ball to dismiss Klinger is verging on abuse it's that good
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 8:04 pm

Olly wrote:An exceptional days work for the Surrey players today. Adding well over 150 runs for the final five wickets in the morning, and then to take 7 (!) wickets in the final session is great stuff.

Tom Curran gets better and better each week! The ball to dismiss Klinger is verging on abuse it's that good

Olly - it took me 3 viewings to figure out how that ball hit Klinger's stump. If not by his bat, he seemed to have the wicket completely covered by his pads! Shocked Well done to Churchy for putting it up so soon - he irritates me on occasion by being too gentle in his interviews but he sure does work hard and put in the hours.

Curran deserves all the praise you've given him - fantastic performance. Meanwhile, That's All (gonna plug that one Wink ) more than fully justified his selection.

As some here know, I always like to look out for the support acts and credit them as well. In that regard, Batty's half-century shouldn't be overlooked. Not only valuable runs but also useful impetus towards the end of our innings (as the Corporal mentioned earlier). Another couple of wickets as well for Burkey - he's doing his utmost to cement his team place.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 29 Jun 2015, 9:31 am

Well well well, that's one in the eye to us grumpy old pessimists!
Norah again chipped in with useful runs after That's all(nice one mrs bat!) answered his critics!
Absolutely brilliant spell by young Curran, ably supported by Burkey.
Obviously need to finish the job yet, but it couldn't have gone better after lunch (despite the weather!)

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

TOM CURRAN IS GOOD AT CRICKET
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 29 Jun 2015, 11:47 am

Ruthless display this morning. Tight skilful bowling to which the Glos tailenders had no answer. But Marshall looked like he could bat till Judgement Day. So, having enforced the follow-on, we'll need all our bowlers to come to the party second time around to wrap this up: it could yet be a 500+ pitch if top order batsmen dig in.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 29 Jun 2015, 11:54 am

Superb bowling figures for Curran: 15 overs 7 maidens 7 wickets for 20 runs. clap clap clap

It's worth emphasising again the degree of application showed by Surrey batsmen in reaching nearly 450 - also that Gloucs did drop a number of catches in the Surrey innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Jun 2015, 12:58 pm

Dunn and Zaf pickup two wickets before luncheon.

Another excellent session for Surrey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:07 pm

Come on Surrey bottle it like always!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:37 pm

Well done to Tom Curran. Needs a haircut though

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:39 pm

Air of controversy to the Klinger dismissal: ball flew very fast to BF @ short leg. Bowler's end ump gave it, fielders in no doubt, decision confirmed once umps had compared notes. The reluctantly departing batsman stayed long enough to exchange views with fielders &, so it looked, at least one of the two umps as well. Be interesting to see if there are any disciplinary 'afters'.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:47 pm

Vicious lifter from Tom C does for Marshall

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 29 Jun 2015, 2:04 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Air of controversy to the Klinger dismissal: ball flew very fast to BF @ short leg. Bowler's end ump gave it, fielders in no doubt, decision confirmed once umps had compared notes.  The reluctantly departing batsman stayed long enough to exchange views with fielders &, so it looked, at least one of the two umps as well. Be interesting to see if there are any disciplinary 'afters'.

I know the day's of 'walking' are long gone, but if the ump actually gives you out, you've surely got to just take it on the chin and respect their decision, no matter how wrong and angry you might feel it is. All sounds a bit unsavoury, but adds to the day's 'entertainment' eh Simon?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 29 Jun 2015, 2:37 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Come on Surrey bottle it like always!
hello is this chris from stroud Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 29 Jun 2015, 2:54 pm

Absolutely right, tg7. It was an oddly testy moment in an otherwise gentle day's play. I don't know if the fielders had been chirruping or what but Happy Bunny he most certainly was not.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:00 pm

Tell him to sling his hook Simon

Zaf gets Cockbain
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:16 pm

110-4 now - seems the spinners are settling in for a long spell, especially my personal fav GB who is so far proving a better batsman than bowler in this match. Sorry, but I used to hate it at school and club level when the captain bowled himself all day!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm

#ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland#ansariforengland #ansariforengland ##ansariforengland #ansariforengland#ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland##ansariforengland #ansariforengland#ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland##ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:35 pm

120-6 as Zaf gets Howell lbw. ZA has bowled very nicely and deserves his wickets. GB has huffed and puffed tidily but bowled rather fewer grenades than his demeanour and frequent anguished cries suggest. Surrey smelling blood (and another day off on the sunshine) as Burke replaces the captain.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:36 pm

Wow!!  #ansariforengland takes his fourth. Yahoo Yahoo Handy figures of twelve overs four wickets for nineteen.   Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:38 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:Come on Surrey bottle it like always!
hello is this chris from stroud Laugh

Laugh Laugh  Sadly, Gloucs no longer have the option of relying on a grinding, strokeless innings from Jon Batty - someone else will need to fill that role. Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Jun 2015, 4:47 pm

CORPORAL START THE BAR guinness RedWine Ale
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 29 Jun 2015, 5:04 pm

5 wkts for ansari clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 29 Jun 2015, 5:09 pm

yessssssssssssssssssssssss Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 29 Jun 2015, 5:12 pm

Olly wrote:CORPORAL START THE BAR guinness RedWine Ale
Whisky cider Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 29 Jun 2015, 5:14 pm

....and Zafer picks up a Michelle courtesy of a smart catch close to the bat by 3rd Degree. Big LBW shout off TC turned down, followed by an air shot outside off stump them a thump down the ground for four then Norwell is yorked but the ball misses leg stp. (Who would have thought such a non-contest could be so entertaining!) Hang on - Fuller falls over attempting to sweep a straight one and the crumpled heap is given out LBW. Surrey win by an innings and 180 Zafer finishes up with 6-30

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Jun 2015, 5:34 pm

Olly wrote:#ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland#ansariforengland #ansariforengland ##ansariforengland #ansariforengland#ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland##ansariforengland #ansariforengland#ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland##ansariforengland #ansariforengland #ansariforengland

Cannot wait to see Zaf 34* off 172 balls at tea in the first test in the UAE against Pakistan this winter Cool
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 29 Jun 2015, 6:39 pm

I was very impressed today by the unexaggerated natural looking empathy among the Surrey team today. There's a long, long way to go but this young squad has possible echoes of our great team of 15 years ago: Ally Brown -> Jason Roy; Third Degree the modest but effective accumulator a la Ian Ward; Matt Dunn maybe, in time, the new Martin Bicknell and - long shot but you never know - the Currans to develop into our Mk II Hollioakes? While this side has no Alec Stewart or Graham Thorpe, it has in Ansari the kind of batting front line spinner our great sides always lacked and another genuine all rounder prospect in Burke. Happy days (may be) here again soon?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Jun 2015, 6:56 pm

Only regret not seeing it and catching up with Simon. Gloucs were 7 down when I finished in town and I figured (rightly) the match wasn't going to last long enough for me to get to the last rites!

Crushing performance brilliantly executed. More than one headline act and several fine performances from members of the supporting cast. Credit also on the team selection which surprised most of us but worked incredibly well. clap clap clap

Corporal - I don't know what you're serving but make mine a double! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 29 Jun 2015, 7:08 pm

Magnificent effort by a largely young and inexperienced team. Obviously Tom and Zaf take the headlines, but it was also fantastic batting display, underpinned by what appears to be 'a plan' as hinted at by the corporal. And as captain, Norah must take credit for this, as he must have a good chunk of input to instigate this (while whiners like me were moaning about batting bonus points!). So congrats to all, we win as a team, and lose as a team! Come on the 'rey!!!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Jun 2015, 7:21 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:I was very impressed today by the unexaggerated natural looking empathy among the Surrey team today. There's a long, long way to go but this young squad has possible echoes of our great team of 15 years ago: Ally Brown -> Jason Roy; Third Degree the modest but effective accumulator a la Ian Ward; Matt Dunn maybe, in time, the new Martin Bicknell and - long shot but you never know - the Currans to develop into our Mk II Hollioakes? While this side has no Alec Stewart or Graham Thorpe, it has in Ansari the kind of batting front line spinner our great sides always lacked and another genuine all rounder prospect in Burke. Happy days (may be) here again soon?  

I like that post a lot, Simon.

Possibly though Alex Tudor rather than Martin Bicknell when seeking a past echo for Matt Dunn. Dunn has the pace of Tudor which can at times be devastatingly effective. However, I'm not sure Dunn will go on to have the reliability and consistency of Bicknell. Happy if I am proved wrong here - I do value our current speedster.

One other aspect. A considerable part of our success 15 years ago was attributable to the strength of the reserves we could bring in, particularly when regulars were on England duty, and some of the performances they produced. Unsung heroes like Jason Ratcliffe, Nadeem Shahid and Darren Bicknell. The likes of Arun Harinath, Ben Foakes and Dom Sibley will be hoping that Surrey's history records them as more than decent reserves but you may consider that sort of analogy also applies currently.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 29 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm

It's also worth noting that Curran and Ansari, who starred here, were the two players rested for the T20 played in Cardiff the evening before the start of this match. Obviously we can't know what would have happened if they had played in that match, but the selectors are entitled to feel a bit smug!

Cracking performance by the team.  Hope you've been helping yourselves from the bar!

guinness guinness cider cider Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Whisky Whisky RedWine

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:41 pm

Cracking performance!.tactics and team selection spot on! Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 30 Jun 2015, 8:29 am

Morning all.

Due to work commitments I've been unable to follow the recent games more than checking scorecards, reading BBC reports and checking in on the view of the board so don't have much to add.

On the broader note I'd like to mimic the thoughts of most about selection. Many on the boards, myself certainly included, are very quick to criticise and never forgot poor selections. On that note I'd like to praise a good one.

When I saw Burke as a 3rd seamer with Dunn/Curran as inexperienced spear heads I definitely raised an eyebrow. Similarly I had doubts over Norah and That's All (great work by Mrs Bat there!). However all 5 worked from efficiently to outstandingly in contributing to a brilliant win.

A firm second in the table just 6 points behind Lancs, who have a game in hand, and 33 points ahead of Glamorgan, who have 2 games in hand. As Olly said after the win at Derbyshire I'd take points on the board at this stage.

On the point of this team developing and moving forward. It has a long way to go no doubt but winning in trying circumstances is the sign of a good team and one with character. Missing many players for various reasons over the last couple of weeks and with a captain under pressure for his place this side has produced two excellent wins. clap

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next