The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+7
SimonofSurrey
jimbohammers
kingdaveeagle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 25 Jun 2015, 3:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD HAS BEEN NAMED FOR THE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST GLOUCESTERSHIRE AT THE KIA OVAL STARTING ON SATURDAY 27TH JUNE.
Rory Burns is named in the squad having recovered from his collision with Moises Henriques a fortnight ago. Jason Roy king returns again  Wink  to the squad having helped England beat New Zealand in the recent One Day International and T20 Series.
The Surrey squad to play Gloucestershire in the LV=County Championship at the Kia Oval on Saturday 27th June, Sunday 28th June, Monday 29th June and Tuesday 30th June :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
James Burke
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Matthew Dunn
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Tim Linley
Jason Roy
Dominic Sibley
Gary Wilson
Luke Fletcher has gone back to notts Sad and Aneesh Kapil misses out from the squad named against derbyshire
There is also a return to the squad for Matthew Dunn Smile
yet again Stuart meaker and Vikram solanki miss out
for me younger curran,foakes and sibley to miss out
over to you guys  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm

Need another 73 off 26 overs to get a 3rd batting point (should get that!), or 123 for 4 (possible if Roy gets going) or 173 for the full 5 (unlikely me thinks).

Jimbobgooner - you posted that just as I was typing this!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs GLOUCESTERSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:11 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:25 overs to get 172 Rolling Eyes

Yeah, just noticed that. Thought you and King Dave would be happy! Very Happy

From here, we'll do well to get 350 and 4 batting points in 110 overs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:12 pm

roy king gone Cry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:25 overs to get 172 Rolling Eyes

Yeah, just noticed that. Thought you and King Dave would be happy! Very Happy

From here, we'll do well to get 350 and 4 batting points in 110 overs.
no chance now Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:30 pm

Going to get extra overs today - ie more than the minimum requirement of 96. Very unusual that. Partly due to Fuller hurting a hand before lunch and (I think) being off ever since. Off spinner Taylor has done a sterling job getting through 27 overs and taking 2/65.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:30 pm

Le Roi king out for 14. Sad  Currently 241 - 5.  We've struggled to get going most of the day.  Could yet get a respectable score - but at the moment there's some risk of our innings fizzling out for less than 300.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:41 pm

Corporal - yeah. Also, we don't know whether to stick or bust now. Need to push on for bonus points but don't want to lose wickets in the last 20 odd minutes of the day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:42 pm

foakes proving me wrong at the moment Sorry
2nd batting point got clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:59 pm

50 for foakes clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 27 Jun 2015, 7:03 pm

279 for 5 at stumps Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 27 Jun 2015, 7:05 pm

A good first day for us, I'd say we have the slight advantage as things stand. The wicket of Roy has just given Gloucs a sniff of bowling us out for 300-320 (below par). Good innings from Elgar, Ansari and Foakes.

Hopefully push onto between 350-400 tomorrow, which would give us the commanding position in the game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 27 Jun 2015, 7:11 pm

Olly wrote:A good first day for us, I'd say we have the slight advantage as things stand. The wicket of Roy has just given Gloucs a sniff of bowling us out for 300-320 (below par). Good innings from Elgar, Ansari and Foakes.

Hopefully push onto between 350-400 tomorrow, which would give us the commanding position in the game
now where did i leave my watch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat 27 Jun 2015, 7:24 pm

Olly wrote:A good first day for us, I'd say we have the slight advantage as things stand. The wicket of Roy has just given Gloucs a sniff of bowling us out for 300-320 (below par). Good innings from Elgar, Ansari and Foakes.

That means we'll probably lose our last 5 wickets for 3 runs in the morning!!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Jun 2015, 7:36 pm

I tend to agree with Olly that we have a sight advantage - almost 280 runs on the board and 5 wickets still in hand. However, still feel disappointed we aren't in a more commanding position after winning the toss in good batting conditions and Gloucs going a bowler down.

Don't think Gloucs or Glamorgan will be too upset tonight ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 27 Jun 2015, 8:18 pm

Agree that the last partnership of 45* at just over four an over has probably given us a very slight edge. Foakes, whose place must have been in jeopardy, has responded well to the opportunity.

In the interview on the Surrey website Elgar says that it is not really a stroke making wicket.  He also came up with this comment: "the young guys have really put their hands up and definitely taken their game plan by the horns." Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Jun 2015, 8:56 pm

Corporal - in the same interview, Churchy and Elgar mention we're looking to bat once suggesting we're seeking an innings win. Somewhat hopeful from here I feel.

Agree with you about Foakes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 27 Jun 2015, 9:15 pm

Interesting comment from Elgar, that along with the team selection certainly gives off the impression that this pitch is going to break up and be good for the spinners and indifferent for the seamers.

Seems like we've won a good toss for once!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Jun 2015, 9:20 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
... Off spinner Taylor has done a sterling job getting through 27 overs and taking 2/65.

Corporal (in particular) - nothing to do with the current game but Taylor's efforts pale into insignificance compared to a story Jack Bannister, the old Warks medium pacer, told on the radio this week. Thought you would like it and maybe others too.

Warks were playing at Kent in a 3 day CC game (as they were then) and were a bowler down from injury as soon as the hosts went out to bat. Bannister bowled the second over of the innings and continued to do so throughout the morning and afternoon. In those days, a new ball became available after 75 overs. Anyway, Bannister had bowled 37 overs on the reel when his captain Mike (MJK) Smith came over and said, ''Do you want the new ball now or do you want another over to loosen up?''. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 27 Jun 2015, 10:26 pm

Might be able to come on Monday but can anyone tell me what adult day admission prices are for CC2 games at the Oval? Have searched extensively online and got absolutely nowhere. Kia Oval website particularly useless and out of date.

Thanks, all, in advance.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Jun 2015, 10:33 pm

Hi Simon - I'm pretty sure it's 12 quid.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 27 Jun 2015, 10:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
... Off spinner Taylor has done a sterling job getting through 27 overs and taking 2/65.

Corporal (in particular) - nothing to do with the current game but Taylor's efforts pale into insignificance compared to a story Jack Bannister, the old Warks medium pacer, told on the radio this week. Thought you would like it and maybe others too.

Warks were playing at Kent in a 3 day CC game (as they were then) and were a bowler down from injury as soon as the hosts went out to bat. Bannister bowled the second over of the innings and continued to do so throughout the morning and afternoon. In those days, a new ball became available after 75 overs. Anyway, Bannister had bowled 37 overs on the reel when his captain Mike (MJK) Smith came over and said, ''Do you want the new ball now or do you want another over to loosen up?''. Very Happy
  Laugh Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 27 Jun 2015, 11:06 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Might be able to come on Monday but can anyone tell me what adult day admission prices are for CC2 games at the Oval? Have searched extensively online and got absolutely nowhere. Kia Oval website particularly useless and out of date.

Thanks, all,  in advance.

I'm sure prices will be put on website by the end of the season to which they apply.  Erm

I have just tweeted Surrey to point out the difficulty (impossibility?) of getting that info from their website.  If I get any sort of response I will post it here.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 28 Jun 2015, 1:16 am

Cheers, Corp.

Pending any word from HQ, anyone else happen to know how much I'd be charged for coming for the day on Monday? Maybe one of the players who's come here to see what we're saying about you all?... thumbsup

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 1:27 am

SimonofSurrey wrote:Cheers, Corp.

Pending any word from HQ, anyone else happen to know how much I'd be charged for coming for the day on Monday? Maybe one of the players who's come here to see what we're saying about you all?... thumbsup

Just in case ...

Zaf you're my hero heart heart heart heart #ansariforengland
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:45 am

Simon - I doubt the price has gone up since my post yesterday. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 28 Jun 2015, 11:40 am

Simon - my recollection was c £12 as well....

Certainly digging in again this morning (and settling for three batting points only - assuming we can score two runs in three overs).  I recall that Yorks have followed this policy with some success on occasion - really grind out a large first innings total in the hope of only having to bat once.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 11:44 am

3 batting points it is then

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 28 Jun 2015, 11:57 am

Morning all!
We almost seemed more intent on stopping Gloucs from getting their 2 nd bowling point this morning! As I type, the 6th wicket falls, not sure what the tactic will be from here, more grinding I reckon

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 28 Jun 2015, 11:58 am

guildfordbat wrote:Simon - I doubt the price has gone up since my post yesterday. Wink

guildford, Sorry I missed your helpful reply. Many thanks.

Anyone else free and planning to go tomorrow (assuming we don't complete Churchy's / Sir Edward's innings victory masterplan today   Laugh  )

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

Foakes 5 runs in the first hour

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 12:03 pm

Just back - what's been going on? Not too much, I guess ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 12:03 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Foakes 5 runs in the first hour

Even zaf would be proud of that eh jimbo Wink

Good start this morning, hopefully get to over 400
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 12:12 pm

I'd also suggest that no batsman being able to "get away" and score quickly further backs up the point Elgar made that the pitch is hard to score on.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 12:32 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Simon - my recollection was c £12 as well....

Certainly digging in again this morning (and settling for three batting points only - assuming we can score two runs in three overs).  I recall that Yorks have followed this policy with some success on occasion - really grind out a large first innings total in the hope of only having to bat once.

Corporal - this was the policy we adopted on the first day and into the second at Guildford when it badly backfired (as, incidentally, I warned it might while a certain teenage poster counted our chicks before they had hatched! Wink ).

More seriously, I appreciate the benefits this approach can bring but we need to be wary of missing out on batting bonus points and then our tail totally collapsing. We also need to ensure we have enough time to take 20 wickets; for all his many faults, Adams was always conscious of this.

PS Simon - no problem. thumbsup Am in London tomorrow for a meeting - may be able to get along to the Oval mid / late afternoon. Won't know until the time but will confirm on here then.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 1:08 pm

Olly wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Foakes 5 runs in the first hour

Even zaf would be proud of that eh jimbo Wink
Laugh  Laugh  Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 28 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

Another attritional session....  anyone going tomorrow need an alarm call for when they need to leave the Oval?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 2:03 pm

Restart at 2:25.
12 overs lost.
Glamorgan laughing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 2:50 pm

like the weather turgid

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:15 pm

norah making batting look easy Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:19 pm

100 for foakes Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:22 pm

i never doubted him Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:24 pm

Well eyebrows were raised as to his inclusion in the side, but Ben Foakes has answered his critics with a good hundred #batted
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm

Well done to Foakes. I like Mrs Bat's suggested nickname for him - That's All!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:28 pm

Olly wrote:Well eyebrows were raised as to his inclusion in the side, but Ben Foakes has answered his critics with a good hundred
#batted
who olly Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:32 pm

loved the way foakes placed the ball over first slip to get to 100 Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:36 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:norah making batting look easy Shocked

Darren Gough obviously wanted him in the ashes side opening Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:47 pm

50 for norah 41 balls notworthy notworthy notworthy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:51 pm

and departs Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 3:57 pm

9 down Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 28 Jun 2015, 4:03 pm

all out 448
last 3 wkts 5 runs raspberry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next