The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

+27
Diggers
GPB
sirbenson
puligny
wiretapper
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
NedB-H
JAS
robopz
I'm never wrong
super_realist
beninho
SmithersJones
Be_the_ball
pedro
Nay
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
EmmDee57
Humpyd
Jermaine2015
sportform
Shotrock
Faldono1fan
31 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

OK, We haven't done this for a couple of years, going through the field of 94 golfers in completely arbitrary and biased fashion until we find a winner we can be happy with. Inspired by Andy North.

No consideration is being made for the conditions which may be influenced by the weather forecast. Storms on Monday closed the course, should be pleasant today, but more storms expected Wednesday. Perhaps the SubAir will presumably cope unless it blows a gasket through overuse, but it sounds as if fairways will still be soft. Then cool and quite windy for Rounds 1 and 2, fine and calmer for the weekend, greens drying out and running at 20 on the Stimpmeter.

1).No amateur has won The Masters and that won't change this week. Five golfers eliminated.

2).And Augusta first-timers haven't won since Fuzzy almost 40 years ago. That gets rid of 14 more, but this is an impressive crop of debutants including Fleetwood, Hadwin, Noren, Pieters & Rahm. Sorry guys, maybe next year.

3).Old Masters and Past Masters: This year in particular, the over-forties crowd who have flourished in the past, have been put into their place by the Young Guns. No-one over 40 has won the Green Jacket since Fatty O'Meara in 1998 and I don't see that trend changing, although Mickelson would undoubtedly bet against that trend. Green Zimmer frames for Phil, Lee, Henrik and 20 others, including 38-y-o Trevor Immelman who won't be in contention. Will he?

For those scoring at home, that's 42 down, 52 to go.

4).We haven't seen an Asian-born Major winner and who's to say Matsuyama won't be the first? Just not this week, Hideki, and you can commiserate with Ben An, James Hahn, Ikeda, Kevin Na (got to get rid of him somehow) and Tanihara. That's another six deported, 46 to go.

5).Continental Europe hasn't produced a winner since Jose Maria 18 years ago and that won't change this year, much as I think Rafa will have a good week. That's five more gone, plus I'll throw in Shane Lowry if my back can take it. 40 remain.

6).Lightning won't strike twice, willett? Very thin ice here as I really like Justin Rose to have a fine week. Good form all year and this may be his focus, much as Rio was last year. But the rest of the British contingent (including Rory) will drown their sorrows with the Patrons, and that's another 9 down the drain. 31 still playing.

7).I like winners and recent winners even more. That sees the field narrow considerably if I eliminate all those who haven't won this year or last - 11 more leave the premises, and then there were 20 (hate to see Kisner go).

8).Some high-flyers from last year have been under the radar this. Augusta National is no place to rediscover your game so adios to Jason Day, Spieth (but he'll surely be around the lead, won't he?), Scott, Reed, Bubba, 3 x Saffers, Walker, Koepka, Berger, Moore. That's a dozen to the exit, and an elite eight remain.

9).Most Masters winners are terrific putters, and Justin Thomas (48th in putting), Brendan Steele (102nd) and Johnny Vegas (164th) won't get it done.

10).Which leaves DJ, Fowler, Henley, Leishman and Sneds.
Sneds ticks most of the boxes, not least being someone who embraces the "Augusta" thing. Not in top form though.
Fowler still has that double-bogey in his DNA.
So this leaves us with a top 3 of Russell Henley, Marc Leishman and Dustin Johnson. All recent winners of course, but nothing wrong with a hot golfer. I can't see past DJ; he may be unsettled by the wind early in the tournament but soft fairways won't hurt him at all.  
Best of the rest: Berger, Oosthuizen, Rose, Spieth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 12 Apr 2017, 9:03 am

Not Fried Chicken? Possibly paella?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Apr 2017, 10:20 am

Paddy still not loving Sergio.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2017/0411/867038-harrington-on-garcia/
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:07 am

puligny wrote:Very true Super, but the qualifier in itself becomes a big thing. Regrettably I've seen a few, mostly pros, have a mare and then rip the cards up etc. We've always ended with a play off, and couple of years ago sent someone off to try and find pro who had doubled last hole, but hadn't realised that still got him into playoff. He was parked up in lay-by couple of miles away in tears - came back and won play off. Nice to know it does mean something to them!
Had play off 7 for 2 spots, and 7 for 6 spots! Amazing difference in dynamic between the players!

Reminds me of when my old club used to host qualifying. Short par 3 10th was used for the play off - only 128 yards - sudden death keep playing it again and again until the you've whittled down the players to the number of spots available. This is a hole where I used to be very comfortable firing in a wedge and making par 90% of the time, but amazing to see pro's missing the green when the pressure was on in a play off.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:08 am

Be_the_ball wrote:The absolute last place on earth I thought Sergio could win was around Augusta, its not supposed to suit his game at all. He plays a fade...
What is it about a fade being bad at ANGC?? It seems to be recent 'accepted wisdom', but I don't see many of the past winners having a problem with that shot shape.

Be_the_ball wrote:They are talking about moving the tee back on 13, so there will be no more high fades over the trees, it will have to be played as it was designed with a draw. Going into that green with a low iron was a bit of a mockery.
Tend to agree with this as long as the green is still potentially reachable in two shots for more or less all the field, as long as they've hit a good drive.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Sounds like Sergio is taking a month off before reappearing at The Players.

Wish Sergio's win, and the success of Rafa and promise of Jon Rahm, could inspire another tournament in Espana - seems such a shame we have to wait until October for the next action in Spain.

Absolutely. We've gone from too many tournaments in Spain to not enough!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:20 am

McLaren wrote:Paddy still not loving Sergio.

Like Garcia cares one iota. Harrington is just weird and some of his quotes in that article read as pretty sour. Can you dig up any more anti-Garcia stuff to keep yourself happy now he's won the Masters or is that it for now?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

I'm never wrong wrote:Not Fried Chicken? Possibly paella?

That's got to be one of the most cringeworthy articles I've ever read. It starts off by describing Augusta as an inland links (wtf?) and then it goes downhill from there. Some terrible quotes as well.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 12 Apr 2017, 12:31 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Like Garcia cares one iota. Harrington is just weird and some of his quotes in that article read as pretty sour. Can you dig up any more anti-Garcia stuff to keep yourself happy now he's won the Masters or is that it for now?
If it's any consolation to Sergio, I think Paddy has fewer fans on this board than Sergio. Take out our Irish posters and I think the number is zero..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 12 Apr 2017, 12:38 pm

That PGATour article had some wonderful factual inaccuracy too:
He made two bogeys, two birdies and an eagle on the final nine holes of regulation.
If that was the case he shot 68 and won without the need for a playoff. I would hazard a guess that they included his birdie in the playoff as one he made on the back nine.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Apr 2017, 12:41 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Utter choke.   I am surely allowed to use the choke label this time?
Laugh How do you like the taste of that humble pie Mac?

If we are going to get smart arsed I would point out that regardless of what happened afterwords he still choked the first attempt at winning.

To be honest I don't really understand where you're coming from on this Mac.

When Garcia bogeyed 10 and 11, I thought it was a little wobble: they are very difficult holes and it is rare for anyone to get through 18 holes at Augusta without a bogey. The key was how he responded. After his drive on 13 into the trees, I thought here comes the choke, but the way he bounced back showed true champion's resilience and skill. As for the putt on the 72nd hole, Garcia set it off at a good pace on the line he intended. It wasn't a nervy prod just a mis-read.

If anything, did Rose choke? I don't think so, but he missed makeable putts on 11, 12, 13, 17 and 18. They weren't gimme's but he missed the chance to seal the deal.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 12 Apr 2017, 12:45 pm

Had the opportunity to watch recording of Sky Sunday coverage, having watched live on BBC. Commentator of the tournament award goes to Paul Azinger. Perceptive, great analysis - at times might have been inside the players heads. One example - hole 7, Sergio in left trees, as Rickie had been, but further back with no option of high shot, or making the green. Azinger called right hand bunker straight away, while Padraig and Murray struggled to work it out. No shame in struggling on a shot like that, but Azinger throughout was different class. Very impressive.
JAS - 13 must have been huge for Sergio, particularly with Justin missing, and 15 was incredible, but I also fancy getting away with just a bogey on 10, when he could have been deep in the bush, with a penalty drop and still no shot was as important. Hey ho, just count 'em up at the end!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Apr 2017, 12:49 pm

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

If it's any consolation to Sergio, I think Paddy has fewer fans on this board than Sergio. Take out our Irish posters and I think the number is zero..

Haha. Nothing wrong with backing your countrymen but at times the Harrington comments from some of the Irish posters feel a bit obsessive. I imagine a trip to benson's house is like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iFrVmCZzWM

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 12 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

I don't know why Azinger doesn't get a gig on NBC or CBS, with Gary Koch easily among the very the best US commentator with foot soldiers Kostis & Maltbie. Maybe he just doesn't want it, perhaps content to do US Open for Fox and freelance.
'Course, I don't know why he didn't get a repeat go at US RC Captain either.

Commentary teams at a disadvantage during The Masters as the Hooties don't permit on-course commentary. Berks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed 12 Apr 2017, 1:26 pm

I can't fault Azinger's knowledge and the during the studio sections before the full commentary starts he is excellent but during the actual commentary I think he often sounds like he is straining to do a particularly spikey jobby which I find off-putting.

Agree re Gary Koch, brilliant commentator.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 12 Apr 2017, 2:44 pm

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Don't know about that pedro, Harrington is pretty popular in America.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Apr 2017, 2:57 pm

Paddy Harrington has a few oddities about his demeanour and what he says but overall seems likable, and is probably just a massive golf geek.

His slow pace of play was sometimes hard to watch when he got a lot of time on coverage but he certainly doesn't have the string of offences that Pea brain does,
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:09 pm

Here we go again ...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:29 pm

Bringing up "stuff" from decade-long glory days makes one wonder Harrington's motivation. Sounds like sour grapes to me, but I didn't hear the context.
Gratuitous divisiveness doesn't much help any RC Cap'n aspirations either.
Regardless, he's done what he wanted, taken some US headlines away from Sergio. And, yes, B_t_b's right, Harrington IS popular here, so he knows he'll be quoted.

PS: Davie's spot on.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:34 pm

kwini

Didn't realise that you weren't much of a Harrington fan?

I am a little curious about what Harrington was referring to when he said that Sergio was a bad loser? Is he implying that Sergio has said to Paddy or to others that Harrington was not worthy of his wins?

It is also a little doubtful that Sergio actually had periods where he didn't practice, as Paddy claims in that interview. No pro is good enough to compete without at least some practice, so maybe Sergio didn't do full day sessions like VJ or Tiger but he must have done something.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:56 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Haha. Nothing wrong with backing your countrymen but at times the Harrington comments from some of the Irish posters feel a bit obsessive. I imagine a trip to benson's house is like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iFrVmCZzWM

You are the one who is continually obsessed with bringing me into every conversation regarding Harrington and you absolutely have no idea who I am and the only time you engage with me is to insult me, so if it makes you feel better to belittle someone on a forum, feel free. It's funny as I haven't even taken part in a debate regarding Harrington here in a while but hey you've your own agenda.

Last edited by sirbenson on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:05 pm

Mac,
I like Harrington a lot, and enjoy following him - very popular at Hartford where I go every year, and he's great with the fans there.

But this reeks of bringing up stuff that's kinda been in the public domain since Carnoustie and Oakland Hills - in both cases one can imagine anyone would have been a lousy loser.

Think it's all a bit unnecessary, no better and no worse than Faldo's RC exhumations of last year.

I think it's great when commentators tell stories about their pro experiences during a broadcast - tho' Faldo & Miller are both terrible at that unless it's Seve or Jack, respectively, they're talking about. But no need to dredge up grievances and gripes from the distant past. Surely? Doesn't reflect well on anyone. In this case, least of all Padraig.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:09 pm

Mac, that article is essentially a collection of quotes, some from 10 years ago and some more recent. If you watched the coverage on Sky it would have been fairly obvious that Harrington quite readily acknowledged that they don't get on, but he was also the first one to congratulate him on his win.
 ** HOLD THE FRONT PAGE, BREAKING NEWS ** professional sportsmen, rivals and sometimes team mates don't always get on with each other. IT'S A SCOOP!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:12 pm

Not sure what Paddy has reason the have sour grapes about Kwini? He has his 3 majors in the bag and has won that particular duel with Sergio.
Anyway clearly a mutual dislike, nothing wrong with that. I've always liked Paddy (though he is clearly "quirky") and always thought Garcia too often acted like a sulky teenager. The spitting in the cup thing sealed it for me.
That said I don't begrudge Sergio his moment in the sun, but he's still a long way down the list of golfers I'd like to see win again.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:14 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
super_realist wrote:I'm talking about his empty headed interviews and how he comes across. Makes Ronnie O Sullivan's recent one word answers look enlightening. Stull not as bad as a Steven Gerrard interview though.

I suppose you consider ronnie O'Sullivan boring too?

Have you not seen his recent interviews Ray? He's taken to one word answers because he doesn't want to get fined for speaking his mind.

Still more interesting than Johnson though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:18 pm

Didn't it all start with Padraig querying something in a round with Jose Maria. Apparently offered some rules advice, and was told he would be asked when his advice was required!
Have to say, it's no surprise elite sports people don't get on! If anything I'm surprised there aren't more clashes.
Oh and, we're lucky to have both of them whether they get on or not!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:24 pm

I think Garcia basically called Padraig lucky and so on. They traded insult after insult, is it any coincidence the two people he doesn't get on with have beaten him on the most important stages ie Tiger and Padraig.

That being said I think Sergio has learned how to cope with defeat better lately and is mentally much stronger now hence why I think he finally got over the line

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:33 pm

sirbenson wrote:
You are the one who is continually obsessed with bringing me into every conversation regarding Harrington and you absolutely have no idea who I am and the only time you engage with me is to insult me, so if it makes you feel better to belittle someone on a forum, feel free. It's funny as I haven't even taken part in a debate regarding Harrington here in a while but hey you've your own agenda.

I think you're confusing me with someone else.

The Alan Partridge clip is from a comedy show, it's meant to be amusing, I was making a joke. If I have offended you then I apologise Hug

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:50 pm

You people like Koch? He always sounds like he is squeezing a turd through a hemorrhoid when a ball is about to roll off a false edge of a green.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Apr 2017, 5:14 pm

be the ball

The quotes are from this week. He was interviewed on 2FM’s Game On. Which I think is an RTE radio show.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Apr 2017, 5:55 pm

"He twas a bad loser so he was, yer man there,  to be sure. Now where's me lucky charms?" Leprechaun

Penguin Padraig probably just doesn't like Garcia has regulation eye width.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Apr 2017, 6:50 pm

Just read the article, can't really see what the big deal is. Sure it's not ideal for Ryder Cup aspirations, but if every European has to be nice to each because of a bi-annual event then it's a bit sad. Paddy's playing career is I think on the downturn, now is exactly the time to be honest and say what you think. I don't obviously know Garcia, but Harrington paints a picture that reflects how I would imagine him to be as a person, or rather may have have been in the past. Seems he has matured a fair bit which is good.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 12 Apr 2017, 6:57 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Think it's all a bit unnecessary, no better and no worse than Faldo's RC exhumations of last year.

I think it's great when commentators tell stories about their pro experiences during a broadcast - tho' Faldo & Miller are both terrible at that unless it's Seve or Jack, respectively, they're talking about. But no need to dredge up grievances and gripes from the distant past. Surely? Doesn't reflect well on anyone. In this case, least of all Padraig.

I totally agree Kwini in the context of an ongoing RC, team mates and Captains shouldn't be criticising each other in public. It was kind of a running joke during the Sky coverage and got a bit tiresome at times ...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 12 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

I don't know exactly which part of Ireland Padraigh comes from, but I'm sure there is a village somewhere in the area that is missing an idiot. And don't give me the old "he's a qualified accountant" BS - I know a few accountants who couldn't tie their own shoe laces

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:57 am

Davie wrote:I don't know exactly which part of Ireland Padraigh comes from, but I'm sure there is a village somewhere in the area that is missing an idiot. And don't give me the old "he's a qualified accountant" BS - I know a few accountants who couldn't tie their own shoe laces

It's tax deductible if you get someone else to do it for you.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Apr 2017, 10:58 am

Diggers wrote: if every European has to be nice to each because of a bi-annual event then it's a bit sad.

On a related note I think a lot of the friction between me and other posters on here comes from my criticism of some of the European RC "heros".  My time here would be a lot easier if I were a Lee or Sergio fan.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:37 am

Perhaps you could open a new door on your posting experience, Mac, by talking about what you like rather than just what you feel contempt for.
Though perhaps it's too short a list? Let's try this in alphabetical order: Tiger. Woods.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:46 am

kwini

Not sure about that Kwini, as I said it seems to be criticism that is specifically about Euro RC players that has brought about my unpopularity. I certainly feel our relationship on here soured when I started to post negatively about Euro RC players or the competition itself.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:49 am

No it's not just your criticism of Euro RC players. It's everything else too

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 13 Apr 2017, 12:03 pm

Davie wrote:I don't know exactly which part of Ireland Padraigh comes from, but I'm sure there is a village somewhere in the area that is missing an idiot. And don't give me the old "he's a qualified accountant" BS - I know a few accountants who couldn't tie their own shoe laces

He's not a qualified accountant. He studied accounting at uni but didn't go on to train and qualify as an accountant. Who can blame him.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Apr 2017, 1:29 pm

Mac,
As I said, what do you actually like? Seems you've even been doubting your love of Doak and Woods recently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Apr 2017, 2:16 pm

I can't really follow Woods if he won't play. As for players I currently like watching here are a few; Rory, Rose, Pieters, pissypants, DJ, Leishman, Beef, Rahm, Casey, Na.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Apr 2017, 2:18 pm

There, that wasn't so hard, was it?
And good that you like Na; think his fan club membership has just reached one.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 13 Apr 2017, 5:33 pm

Na Laugh Laugh Laugh wum

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:18 pm

McLaren wrote:
Diggers wrote: if every European has to be nice to each because of a bi-annual event then it's a bit sad.

On a related note I think a lot of the friction between me and other posters on here comes from my criticism of some of the European RC "heros".  My time here would be a lot easier if I were a Lee or Sergio fan.

I think the derision you get Mac is for thinking you know everything there is to know about what makes a good golf course and your dubious assertion that you are the barometer of all that is moral.

I don't think anyone minds you liking 9C, you're a proven glory hunter in other sporting aspects, so that wasn't surprising.

I think a lot of the time being a hypocrite doesn't really help you very much.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:28 pm

McLaren wrote:I can't really follow Woods if he won't play.  As for players I currently like watching here are a few; Rory, Rose, Pieters, pissypants, DJ, Leishman, Beef, Rahm, Casey, Na.
What about Adam 'Slowhand' Scott???

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10