The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

+38
Tramptastic
RDW
BigGee
tigertattie
George Carlin
TheMildlyFranticLlama
jimbopip
Eejit
EWT Spoons
Hazel Sapling
21st Century Schizoid Man
Cambo
EST
des
TJ
VinceWLB
Welly
NeilyBroon
Majestic83
munkian
MacKnocked-on
Geordie
demosthenes
Scottrf
furra_linee
LordDowlais
RuggerRadge2611
A Simply Mesmeric Try
BamBam
highland_scot
IanBru
reallybored
nickj
lostinwales
tatterd
LondonTiger
R!skysports
42 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. Empty The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by R!skysports Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 am

Bicker away......

A nice video to start with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9dwHAfy_M

Glasgow Warriors are one of the two professional rugby union sides from Scotland. The team plays in the Pro14 league and in the European Professional Club Rugby tournaments. In the 2014-15 season they won the Pro12 title and became the first Scottish team to win a major trophy in rugby union's professional era. #theyrock

Edinburgh Rugby (formerly Edinburgh Reivers, Edinburgh Gunners and a real rugby team) is one of the two professional rugby teams from Scotland, although hard to determine if they play rugby. The club competes dances in the Pro14, along with Glasgow Warriors, its oldest rival. Since January 2017, Edinburgh plays most of its home games at Myreside Stadium with selected matches at BT Murrayfield.

kiss

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. Davefr10

Last edited by R!skysports on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. Empty Re: The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by LondonTiger Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 am

Barsteward

Complete and utter barsteward.

Paul Hardcastle will be in my head all day now.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. Empty Re: The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by RDW Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:10 pm

These threads have gone down hill drastically from the glory days of GC's efforts...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:These threads have gone down hill drastically from the glory days of GC's efforts...

I would take offence, if I did not agree

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Personally I always liked Bru's efforts on this - that is when he put his finely tuned Shocked legal mind to such things.

Anyway Risky, off to Parma tomorrow to cheer on our boys Yahoo

Last edited by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 pm

As I was writing an essay for the SH options going into the 6 nations in the international thread it got me thinking about London Irish SQ'd players.

I believe J Williams is SQ'd (the IC). He got rave reviews when he started out but has been ignored after his 15 minutes. He may be worth a shout if LI are down.

As for Tonks, I hope he can get a contract elsewhere. Edinburgh messed him about once and Glasgow have Jackson and Thompson to back up Hogg (as well as L Jones, Seymour and Mata who can cover 15). Bristol, Sale or Newcastle should be interested even if just to push the present incumbents.

Reid would be competing for the 3rd spot with Allan at Glasgow and Edinburgh have Sutherland/Dell/Marfo already. He is another one who could interest the same sort of clubs.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 pm

J Williams was hot property a few years ago but hasn't really kicked on. Cowan's Scotland days are numbered and I can't see us needing Tonks unless we get a lot of injuries. We've mentioned Steel a few times on here but I don't see him as being better than any of Edinburgh's 9s, and when he's played against us over the last few seasons he hasn't been overly special.

Reid on the other hand is someone that stands a chance of going to the next World Cup so probably needs to find himself another club if he can.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:56 pm

In other news, Mark Bennett looks set to make his Edinburgh debut against the Kings this weekend and Hardie has returned to training with Edinburgh, albeit his ban runs for another couple of weeks yet.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:J Williams was hot property a few years ago but hasn't really kicked on. Cowan's Scotland days are numbered and I can't see us needing Tonks unless we get a lot of injuries. We've mentioned Steel a few times on here but I don't see him as being better than any of Edinburgh's 9s, and when he's played against us over the last few seasons he hasn't been overly special.

Reid on the other hand is someone that stands a chance of going to the next World Cup so probably needs to find himself another club if he can.

Hard to say how good any of those players are whilst playing in a LI shirt this year. It is very hard to look good in a bad team. Maitland looked rubbish and disinterested when he was there, but a move to Sarries soon had him firing on all cylinders again.

Cowan and Tonks international days are behind them now I would say but Williams is still young and looked a very good player a few years ago when he was only 19. Surely he will be worth a chance somewhere else and Edinburgh do seem to need a 12. Might be one to consider if he fancies pursuing his Scottish roots (I believe he is qualified for England, Scotland and Wales).

When I have seem them play, I would say that Scott Steele looks like one of their better players as well. He has fought of the challenge from the higher rated imports that have been brought in at SH and still seems to be their first choice. He probably deserves the chance to play in a better team as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 am

Surely Nel has an impact on the age of 19 claim?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 am

tigertattie wrote:Surely Nel has an impact on the age of 19 claim?

Injured and not played for a while.....

And lets not get too many facts in the way of a title Erm

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Not sure the ship has sailed on Tonks. Maitland has been a bit injury prone in recent times and Hogg has had his niggles. Tonks did well against Aus and could tour in the summer (as much as I want to see Kinghorn given a chance).

J Williams would fill a need at Edinburgh. Steele should be able to find a contract somewhere (no space for him in the 2 pro sides). Good candidate for Worcester if SRU do buy them.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:11 am

Is this really an ongoing banter thread if topic heading doesn't contain the words "ongoing" or "Banter"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

Sorry if I've missed this elsewhere, but any news on the kind of team Glasgow are sending out to Zebre? Is it full strength? Thinking of including the weegies in my accumulator! Thanks in advance!

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:56 am

tigertattie wrote:Is this really an ongoing banter thread if topic heading doesn't contain the words "ongoing" or "Banter"

It does, it really done

(now)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:57 am

R!skysports wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Is this really an ongoing banter thread if topic heading doesn't contain the words "ongoing" or "Banter"

It does, it really done

(now)

laughing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:J Williams was hot property a few years ago but hasn't really kicked on. Cowan's Scotland days are numbered and I can't see us needing Tonks unless we get a lot of injuries. We've mentioned Steel a few times on here but I don't see him as being better than any of Edinburgh's 9s, and when he's played against us over the last few seasons he hasn't been overly special.

Hard to say how good any of those players are whilst playing in a LI shirt this year. It is very hard to look good in a bad team. Maitland looked rubbish and disinterested when he was there, but a move to Sarries soon had him firing on all cylinders again.

Cowan and Tonks international days are behind them now I would say but Williams is still young and looked a very good player a few years ago when he was only 19. Surely he will be worth a chance somewhere else and Edinburgh do seem to need a 12. Might be one to consider if he fancies pursuing his Scottish roots (I believe he is qualified for England, Scotland and Wales).

When I have seem them play, I would say that Scott Steele looks like one of their better players as well. He has fought of the challenge from the higher rated imports that have been brought in at SH and still seems to be their first choice. He probably deserves the chance to play in a better team as well.

I saw Williams at U20 level (funnily enough vs Scotland). He was/is a very physical presence and was as good as any player on the day. Probably easier to do so at U20 level and tougher when playing with the grown ups.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 pm

2 bonus point wins this weekend with no major injuries noted so far. Bennett and Ashe both got back into things as well which is a good sign for Scotland.

Hopefully Leinster and Connacht prevail to bolster Edinburgh and Glasgow's respectively. Edinburgh are unlucky to be in the wrong group.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:07 pm

We could use the Westies fronting up a bit here.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 am

R!skysports wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:These threads have gone down hill drastically from the glory days of GC's efforts...

I would take offence, if I did not agree
Yahoo
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am

So it has been a good weekend of results for Edinburgh, with us now only 3 points behind Ulster and automatic qualification for the Champions Cup. Edinburgh certainly have a tricky run in to the season but looking at Ulster's theirs has its challenges as well. We play them away from home during the 6N, but I suspect their reserve squad is better than ours.

We're probably likely to finish 4th leaving us in a playoff, likely against the Blues or Connacht. If we manage to get a home fixture I fancy our chances, but away from home we won't be favourites.

Plenty to play for in the run in!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:35 am

Cockers seems to be doing well would you mind if we take him back.................... Whistle Wink

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Edinburgh have loads to play for in the run in, they really are in with a shout of qualifying and should be setting that as their goal.

Ulster have been woefully inconsistent and clearly have deeply ingrained problems of their own. Edinburgh despite their improvements are still not going to lose to many players to Scotland and should still get a decent side out. The group may well come down to the home and away fixtures against Ulster.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:33 am

Welly wrote: Cockers seems to be doing well would you mind if we take him back.................... Whistle Wink
Friend of mine met him last week and sadly he is loving the city of Edinburgh, Welly.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 am

George Carlin wrote:
Welly wrote: Cockers seems to be doing well would you mind if we take him back.................... Whistle Wink
Friend of mine met him last week and sadly he is loving the city of Edinburgh, Welly.

Of course he is GC. Edinburgh is consistently voted as one of the best places in the UK to live Hug
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:55 am

Coickers seems to have actually installed some heart and guts into Edinburgh - evidence the first 1872 cup match :-) I doubt he has the skills to take them to the very top - but he certainly seems to be able to make them contenders rather than also rans. I mean more than halfway thru the season and we still have a decent chance of qualifying for Europe in the main event Shocked

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:59 am

We've already gained more league wins (2 more in fact) than last season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 am

tigertattie wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Of course he is GC. Edinburgh is consistently voted as one of the most effeminate places in the UK to live Hug
Well, you've got to be proud of something, I guess.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Edinburgh game is switch to Murrayfield again for the SF game this Friday. The pitch at Myreside was starting to cut up really badly last week and clearly has not recovered.

If Edinburgh are going to stay playing there, then surely a 4G pitch is going to be the answer for them as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 pm

That's certainly no surprise - the pitch was in a right state and the weather this week would leave little chance to improve. It is a shame as to build momentum and try to turn fans around to the idea of playing there they really needed a good run of games at Myreside. Unfortunately there's only 4 games left this season, and the next game is at home to Leinster on 8th Feb (ages away) so can't imagine there will be many travelling supporters to boost the crowd.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Don't we need to play our Euro games at Murrayfield anyway due to min seating requirements or is that for the big cup only?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:27 pm

That is only for finals I think - there's no minimum requirement for group games

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Edinburgh going for it against Stade. Kevin Bryce makes a return!

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. DTQf4BeX4AAqN1i

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:50 pm

BT don't seem to be showing the game. Any idea if its on the telly box at all?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Strong team, not sure about the bench. Good to see Bryce back, as you say

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Hardly any Challenge Cup games are on TV, and if Sky or BT aren't showing it no other broadcaster is allowed to. Edinburgh can't even do Facebook live or equivalent to live stream the game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Bugger. BT should offer a red button stream at very least

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 pm

nickj wrote:Strong team, not sure about the bench. Good to see Bryce back, as you say

I think it is long overdue that we find out if he has what it takes at tighthead or not! He's hardly played there since moving 2 seasons ago. The odd game he has played hasn't been overly inspiring.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Bradbury to start and Ritchie on the bench, what does that say about what Cockers thinks about CDP? Does Toonie share those thoughts?

I am assuming he is fit of course, always smoke and mirrors from Edinburgh on that department these days.

Good to see Chris Dean get a run out at 12 as well. If he is to nail down a starting position in this Edinburgh team going forward it is likely to have to be at 12 and not 13.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 pm

CDP has played in the last 4 games, so is likely being rested as per the SRU player management stuff, which I think restricts it to 5 games in a row, ensuring he can play next week in France.

Can't say I'm glad to see K.Bryce on the bench, nothing against him, he's just not made the move to TH particularly well (not his fault), we will be significantly weaker in the scrum if he comes on.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by des Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:12 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
nickj wrote:Strong team, not sure about the bench. Good to see Bryce back, as you say

I think it is long overdue that we find out if he has what it takes at tighthead or not! He's hardly played there since moving 2 seasons ago. The odd game he has played hasn't been overly inspiring.

I think the Cheetahs game showed exactly what he's capable of.  Namely, giving away 2 penalties on the trot and being subbed off for the person he was brought on for. I didn't even know you were allowed to do that, unless there was an injury.

He's a complete waste of space and I wonder if there's some sort of HR requirement which needs to be fulfilled due to him being asked to change position.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:CDP has played in the last 4 games, so is likely being rested as per the SRU player management stuff, which I think restricts it to 5 games in a row, ensuring he can play next week in France.

I would have thought he would have picked his strongest available team for this game, if they win, then they can afford to rest a few next weekend, when the result will be academic and SF won't give a cr*p anyway.

He does not seem to have applied the same logic to Toolis and GG who seem to start every game now.

I think there is a bit of flexibility with the Scotland resting players protocol in any case. It would be madness to compromise their chances of qualification because of it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:CDP has played in the last 4 games, so is likely being rested as per the SRU player management stuff, which I think restricts it to 5 games in a row, ensuring he can play next week in France.

I would have thought he would have picked his strongest available team for this game, if they win, then they can afford to rest a few next weekend, when the result will be academic and SF won't give a cr*p anyway.

He does not seem to have applied the same logic to Toolis and GG who seem to start every game now.

I think there is a bit of flexibility with the Scotland resting players protocol in any case. It would be madness to compromise their chances of qualification because of it!

Gilco has played in 3 of the last 5 so still has a couple of games left. This would be Toolis’ 5th game in a row, so I guess he could be likely to miss next week, which is possibly another reason why CDP was rested this game, so he’s back next week when Toolis is out.

You might be right with regards to the flexibility, but I assume there has to be a very good reason to go against the 5 game rule, as it’s not like coaches are not aware of the fixture list early doors, and should (aside from massive injuries) be able to plan their squad rotation throughout the season.

This is all speculation, but given CDP has started most weeks throughout the season (when available) I don’t think Cockers has any issue with him, or anything can really be written into him missing this game.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Fingers crossed CDP has been dropped, would much prefer to see Mata, Bradbury, Ritchie & Crosbie at 6/8.

Relief to see Sutherland back, could he start against Wales?

Excited to see this back-line in action, really like the Dean/Bennett combo.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I tend to agree with reallybored about CDP. He has been better this year but he is just not the same player since his injury, he just does not have the same explosiveness about his carrying and is nothing like as mobile.

That is a shame because from his early performances in an Edinburgh shirt, he looked as if he could have been a standout international.

He is still a decent player, but has a lot to prove at international level and in a more free flowing Edinburgh team these days.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Not reading anything into CDP being dropped. He has played a fair few games this season and may be needed by Scotland next month. Last break before then. It may balance the back row better. Mata was originally at 6 last season when he played with Bradbury I thought? Be interesting to see how they mesh. When Ritchie comes on, the back row will look more traditional.

Kinghorn is covering 10 by the looks of it and Dean gets a chance to put down a marker for the 12 jersey. Pretty happy to see that.

Surprised that McCallum already has so many games under his belt. Thought he had maybe 15-20 not 30+. Sutherland and McCallum have these 2 games to get their spots in the Scotland 23.

What is happening with Carmichael? He played well last year and went off to Super Rugby. Does Cockers not like him as a 2nd row or is it purely down to good form of the guys in front?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Carmichael is still a bit of a beanpole and in the odd game he's played lately he's come into the back row. Cockers knows his starting combo and has generally gone for McKenzie on the bench - perhaps as he's club captain.

With at least one of the starting locks involved with Scotland in sure he'll get his chance over the next few months - he's a great athlete. We've hardly seen anything of CHH this season so would be nice to see him get a run out too. If both toolis and Gilchrist are rested for Scotland both of them should be in the squad for Edinburgh during the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm

What is very pleasing about that Edinburgh backline is the oldest player is SHC at 24! In fact that forwards aren't exactly seasoned warriors either.

If Cockerill can work his magic and keep that group of players together hopefully the future is bright for Edinburgh Fingers Crossed

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:02 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next