The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+15
Davie
Shotrock
incontinentia
JuliusHMarx
westisbest
super_realist
superflyweight
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
JAS
dynamark
pedro
Soul Requiem
beninho
McLaren
19 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Navy

And what super has also missed is that the statues and TV shows are not really the main focus of the protests. They are easy news bites to bring up but the meat of the protesters argument is about equality for black people.

I also don't think super is correct that just because you support BLM you don't also worry about atrocities committed in other spheres of life. It is just that currently the focus is on racism towards black people.

As much as he hates America, Super would really fit into their libertarian ways.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am

Taking the knee does not in any way mean you support Black Lives Matter ( the group)

Supporting BLM (the group) doesn't make you a Marxist, but it does mean you're supporting a Marxist group, however most people won't have even bothered to read their website to see what policies they'd like enacted.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by superflyweight Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:29 am

Pal Joey wrote:It must have leapt up at an interesting Engel to nip the gonads.

Lovely pun.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 am

So BLM is definitively a Marxist Group how?
Is it because they are challenging established norms?
Is it because their leadership have Marxist views?
Is it because they are agitating for a revolution?
It it because right wing thinkers don't like them, don't agree with them and calling them Marxist is an easy label?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:07 am

They want to abolish capitalism and the Co founder describes herself as a Marxist.

Even if you could argue it isn't Marxist, it's certainly a mad organisation and it's understandable why Labour and the BBC have distanced their support.

BLM UK claims climate change is racist, wants to abolish prisons, wants to defund police, claims Mirza's appointment is racist, condemns suffragettes, describes charities as colonial powers.
Not an organisation anyone would really want to be seen to support.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:17 am

Depends if someone is stupid enough to not separate the views of some people, and the views of others. Just because you believe BLM and follow it due to seeing issues with race, doesn't mean its wrong.

Everyone who kneels in line with BLM doesnt believe in the same thing as sone who do.

Its, not realky hard to understand.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:00 pm

What I don't understand is how much of the so called "cancel culture" is a twitter phenomenon and how much of it is actually real? As far as I know there are not hoards of people calling for the sacking of a colleague every time an inappropriate phrase is used in the workplace. What we do see is people arguing in twitter bubbles about the purity of famous tweeters.

Thankful I think we are still in a time where you cannot extrapolate what happens on twitter as a fair representation of reality. The man on the street is very unlikely to succumb to a twitter mob.

Although public figures have of course fallen foul of twitter PR messes. The kernel of real impact of cancel culture at the moment seems limited to public figures getting themselves involved in contentious issues. I am not sure I can be bothered to worry about whether JK Rowling can't control herself enough to stay out something as fiery as the trans debate and just say aviod the unnecessary risk.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:24 pm

What we have with super dog bothered, is a perfect example of mass hysteria, caused in general by the media or social media.

A small group of people, say something, probably extreme or unlikely to happen. Jk rowling and trans

This, gets reported and twisted to whoever it is being reported to. Or a small amount of people argue against the views expressed - trans rights groups

A bigger group then get annoyed, and put the blame on a group of people - such as the left. Others.

The whole thing is just mass hysteria and twisting things, which are generally very minor. Realist loves that schiz.

Similar with the guy who talked about not having land of hope and glory at the proms. Minor thing, becomes an outrage for people who think its a personal affront, even thougj its not really going to happen.

Similar to SR and the BLM issues.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Hysteria is probably the best way to describe twitter. Sad the Super has been taken in by it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:33 pm

The wretched, woeful Clive Tyldsely has been sacked. About 20 years too late but better late than never.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:01 pm

super_realist wrote:The wretched, woeful Clive Tyldsely has been sacked. About 20 years too late but better late than never.

Super realises he has been conned by twitter spats so responds with another of his random hating a public figure post.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 pm

super_realist wrote:The wretched, woeful Clive Tyldsely has been sacked. About 20 years too late but better late than never.

Who do you prefer?

I dont think Sam Matterface is any better.

Seems hard to have such a strong opinion.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Can't stand Tyldesley. He's the worst commentator still active on TV since Archie McPherson died/retired. So the answer to your question would be anyone.

Tyldesley can't watch any game without referencing England.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:12 pm

McLaren wrote:

Super realises he has been conned by twitter spats so responds with another of his random hating a public figure post.

Hardly Mac, we can talk about cancel culture if you like. Were the programmes cancelled by networks and needless apologies from those who made them just a twitter spat?
Thank goodness we have people like Idris Elba saying that such childish censorship is stupid.

Tyldesley isn't black though, so unfortunately for you it means you don't really have any criticism for me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:15 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:

Hardly Mac, we can talk about cancel culture if you like. Were the programmes cancelled by networks and needless apologies from those who made them just a twitter spat?
Thank goodness we have people like Idris Elba saying that such childish censorship is stupid.

Tyldesley isn't black though, so unfortunately for you it means you don't really have any criticism for me.

If criticism is being welcomed, I'd say that you came across like an offended Victorian lady in the choice of words that you used to criticise Tyldesley.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:15 pm

super_realist wrote:Can't stand Tyldesley. He's the worst commentator still active on TV since Archie McPherson died/retired. So the answer to your question would be anyone.

Tyldesley can't watch any game without referencing England.

aren't most of his games fir itv England games?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:17 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:

What cancelled programmes are you upset over?

Little Britain, hardly see you as a fan, and i think both Walliams and Lucas have said its not lasted well.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:26 pm

I'm not upset about them being cancelled. Just don't think they should be.
I don't think Walliams is at all funny, but I dont think he should be guilted into removing his TV programme regardless of how unfunny it was.
Fawlty Towers was being very deliberate in how it represented its characters, and still the BBC and others ran frightened before reinstating it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:45 pm

So, you agree with Idris, that shows should not be censores to show how bad they were, and that shows, that sone deem racist were on tv? I honestly didn't think that was your reasoning. Very moral, for soneone who isnt a fan of BLM.

But, this goes back to sonething we discussed the other day, its a business, and the bbc or netflix or britbox, took a business decision.

But, i think you or anyone can pick up the dvd if they so desired, so, again, its all just a massive fuss twisted into hysteria, and again, sonething you seem to have been sucked into.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm

What I mean is that it isn't for some woke broadcaster to decide what we can or cannot watch, but for individuals.

It's not a "business decision" it's about the fear of being labelled racist because of the cancel culture brigade. That group only believe in free speech if it meets their criteria.

Who the hell uses Dvds now?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:09 pm

I still have the series 24 on DVD. Watched some of TUF season 15 on DVD, only the other day.

Still have a load of DVD’s. Watch them very occasionally. Good to still have.

I’d say there are people that still watch DVD’s, not many many but some.

Who knows?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Its not for the broadcaster to decide what they broadcast? That makes no sense at all.

Individuals can watch what they want,  thats still the case. In fact, you can watch little Britain on amazon prime if you want. See, its a business decision.

You have a real thing about the cancel culture brigade, I fear you think its something a lot more than it actually is.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Super

What moral principle do you think is being eroded by broadcasters no longer broadcasting slightly crappy comedy shows?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:49 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

What moral principle do you think is being eroded by broadcasters no longer broadcasting slightly crappy comedy shows?

Deciding what is considered acceptable or offensive on other people's behalf.

You wouldn't understand because you've spent the entire time you've been on here being exactly the same sort of person.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:50 pm

beninho wrote:Its not for the broadcaster to decide what they broadcast? That makes no sense at all.

Individuals can watch what they want,  thats still the case.  In fact, you can watch little Britain on amazon prime if you want. See, its a business decision.

You have a real thing about the cancel culture brigade, I fear you think its something a lot more than it actually is.

Being sacked for liking a tweet is just nothing then?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:56 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Its not for the broadcaster to decide what they broadcast? That makes no sense at all.

Individuals can watch what they want,  thats still the case.  In fact, you can watch little Britain on amazon prime if you want. See, its a business decision.

This seems to be your hobby horse, cone on then show me the details, its not sonething I know of.

Can't find anything on google when searching sacked for liking jk rowling tweet.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sacked+for+liking+jk+rowling+tweet&prmd=niv&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKxa_tqM3qAhWyQkEAHVQqAlkQ_AUIFSgA&biw=412&bih=650&dpr=2.63#ip=1

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:05 pm

https://www.worldnewj.com/best-selling-childrens-author-sacked-after-posting-hashtag-i-stand-with-jk-rowling-on-twitter/?amp

Finally found it. This has riled you up.

Chris Snowdon, managing director of Working Partners, stated: ‘Erin Hunter is not a single person but a diverse team of creatives and writers.

‘We recently became aware that Gillian Philip had associated the Erin Hunter pen-name with her personal views on Twitter, thus associating them with the whole collective.

‘In light of this situation, the decision was taken to no longer work with Gillian Philip.

‘The decision taken was not in direct response to the nature of Gillian’s personally expressed views.’

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:09 pm

But I see you are on the same side of the fence as Toby Young, so that must make you happy.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Is anyone else looking at the Wigan Athletic FC situation with a bit of hope for the players/staff/supporters? Sent into administration allegedly because someone wants them to do down because of a big bet*, they're now doing everything on the field to stay up. 8-0 winners today. Just got to do 1 point better than Charlton and equal Hull in their last two matches.

*read on the BBC that this might not be true, as the location of the losing bet doesn't stand up.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:35 pm

Interesting programme on bbc2 about Murdoch.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi gents.I can sympathise with Sr on dogs my mum was attacked by a group of dogs near her mums house back in the 70s very nasty and I have been bitten several times at work.
Very good point by ben about how things escalate in the media.Take this week with masks BBC have twisted it all ways no mask,some masks ,compulsory,voluntary, medical advise ,freedom anything to give a story legs.,Interested to see Blackburn being open about their issues with covid and what they have done in contrast to Leicester putting their hands in their pockets and blaming someone else without stating where the problem areas were.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:10 pm

beninho wrote:Interesting programme on bbc2 about Murdoch.

Yep watched that last night. certainly would have been an eye opener for those naive enough to believe that media barons don't have much power or don't influence politics. Even I never realised quite how far up Murdochs arse Blair was. In retrospect it is obvious.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:15 pm

super_realist wrote:What I mean is that it isn't for some woke broadcaster to decide what we can or cannot watch, but for individuals.

It's not a "business decision" it's about the fear of being labelled racist because of the cancel culture brigade. That group only believe in free speech if it meets their criteria.

Who the hell uses Dvds now?

Yup...I'm just waiting for Alf Garnet to come back, then we'll know the cancel culture has been defeated :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:34 pm

The Murdoch thing was ok but I wanted it to go further back into his rise to the top. I wanted to know how he got to be in a position to have such a strong influence during the Thatcher and then Blair times. It just sort of said he didn't get all his fathers estate, except one paper, and managed to get them all back over time. It feels like the how in that story would have been important.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Lockdown started on the 16th March, who knew?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 pm

beninho wrote:Lockdown started on the 16th March, who knew?
Its flown by
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

This seems to be your hobby horse, cone on then show me the details, its not sonething I know of.

Can't find anything on google when searching sacked for liking jk rowling tweet.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sacked+for+liking+jk+rowling+tweet&prmd=niv&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKxa_tqM3qAhWyQkEAHVQqAlkQ_AUIFSgA&biw=412&bih=650&dpr=2.63#ip=1

Or what about no platforming or ridiculous "safe spaces" because sensitive students are too wet to hear things they might not like?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:43 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Or what about no platforming or ridiculous "safe spaces" because sensitive students are too wet to hear things they might not like?

Speaking of speaking out and people hearing things they might not like...Just out of interest where do we stand on Ricky Gervais' speech at the Golden Globes a few months back? :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:47 am

I really enjoyed that. Not usually a fan of Gervais, but he's been growing on me the last few years as a person rather than his over-rated comedy stuff. His anti celebrity/hypocrisy stance is good to hear from such a famous person.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 am

JAS wrote:Speaking of speaking out and people hearing things they might not like...Just out of interest where do we stand on Ricky Gervais' speech at the Golden Globes a few months back? :-p
It was brilliant
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:22 pm

super_realist wrote:I really enjoyed that. Not usually a fan of Gervais, but he's been growing on me the last few years as a person rather than his over-rated comedy stuff. His anti celebrity/hypocrisy stance is good to hear from such a famous person.

Aye, me too, could never really get into the Office, obviously funny in places but generally overrated. I ended up watching Afterlife after it being mentioned at the GG. To make a funny and watchable sitcom from such a dire gloomy subject is quite a feat. I think he squeezed every last ounce of humour out of it.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:51 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:I really enjoyed that. Not usually a fan of Gervais, but he's been growing on me the last few years as a person rather than his over-rated comedy stuff. His anti celebrity/hypocrisy stance is good to hear from such a famous person.

Aye, me too, could never really get into the Office, obviously funny in places but generally overrated. I ended up watching Afterlife after it being mentioned at the GG. To make a funny and watchable sitcom from such a dire gloomy subject is quite a feat. I think he squeezed every last ounce of humour out of it.
I'm a fan of Gervais but hated afterlife. He's good at comedy but very poor at the emotional stuff imo.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Can’t stand Gervais. Worst comedy act I’ve ever seen.
The wife’s a big fan, so went with her.

What he says is true. He doesn’t hold back, which can be a good thing.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:39 pm

The Office is one of the funniest shows ever. Still watch the repeats and it akways still makes me laugh. Similar with the Inbetweeners, peep show and flight of tbe conchords which I saw again on tv last night.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Pal Joey wrote:It must have leapt up at an interesting Engel to nip the gonads.
Laugh Laugh Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:26 pm

beninho wrote:How do you differentiate who think BLM and who are involved in the BLM group?  Taking a knee doesn't mean you are a Marxist it does mean you support BLM.  
What a chuffing God-awful phrase that is. OK in the U.S.A., perhaps. The UK? It's "I knelt" or "I'm kneeling in support of...". Etc. Here endeth the lesson...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:28 pm

superflyweight wrote:
super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:

If criticism is being welcomed, I'd say that you came across like an offended Victorian lady in the choice of words that you used to criticise Tyldesley.  
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:30 am

For anyone who thinks masks/face coverings don't make a difference to the spread of a respiratory disease:

https://apple.news/AwB2K8x3FR8C2ju6W0fEISg
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Can't wait to hear what Super has got to say about the big lad playing cricket for the West Indies in the Test Match against England today! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:58 am

navyblueshorts wrote:For anyone who thinks masks/face coverings don't make a difference to the spread of a respiratory disease:

https://apple.news/AwB2K8x3FR8C2ju6W0fEISg

There's always two sides to this. Apparently not a single country has lowered its R value by introducing compulsory masks in shops and public indoor places.

I'm not necessarily on either side, but question the wisdom of bringing in masks when the virus is at its lowest point since lockdown.
If it was so important why did every part of the UK delay their introduction for so long and then announce they had to be worn but give them 1-2 weeks before it was implementedbas law?

In my opinion it seems to cause people to think they are better protected and I see a lot of people are less stringent in regards to distancing in shops etc. I've already had people reach over me and brush past me in shops when they wouldn't have done this without a mask.

Last edited by super_realist on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:58 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Can't wait to hear what Super has got to say about the big lad playing cricket for the West Indies in the Test Match against England today! Laugh

It's only cricket, not a proper athletic sport, more of a pastime.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next