The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+20
Plunky
JDizzle
BlueCoverman
Davie
superflyweight
LadyPutt
McLaren
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirbenson
robopz
kouchi
incontinentia
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
beninho
Shotrock
GPB
24 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 8 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Mon 03 Aug 2020, 1:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

PGATour Running Commentary- Aug 2020

1. Last week:  Justin Thomas overcame a 4 shot deficit to win the WGC-FEDEX St Jude by three shots over a four players of Tom Lewis, Daniel Berger, Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka   Richie Werenski won the Barracuda event, by one point over Troy Merritt.

2. After he won the Memorial, Jon Rahm took the #1 OWGR ranking from Rory, and now after winning the FEDEX, Justin Thomas took the #1 spot.  

3. This week is the PGA Championship, with most of the OWGR Top 100 players in the field.  The tournament venue is at Harding Park, which has hosted two WGC tournaments in the last 20 years.  Here are some finishes by players in this years field:  Woods (1), Garcia (3), Stenson (3), GMac (6), Furyk (15)Poulter (18), Mickelson (29), Scott (29), ZJohnson (43),  The Match play was played at Harding Park in 2015, won by Rory, beating Woodland in finals.  Players advancing to the Round of 16, include Willett, Furyk, Casey, Oosty, Fleetwood, Fowler, Hideki, and Leishman.

4. Only two more tournaments to qualify for the FEDEX playoffs, some notable players that are currently inside the Top 125, but probably have not clinched a spot in the Northern Trust (Tom Lewis (#117), Russell Knox (#120,  Paul Casey (#121), Charl Schwartzel (#123).  Some players just barely outside the Top 125 include Nick Watney, Zach Johnson, Matt Wallace, Shane Lowry, RCB, Sergio, and Justin Rose. Some players that need a big week to get inside the Top 125 include Willett, Dufner, Power, Walker, Stenson

GPB

pedro and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 8 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by Shotrock Thu 03 Sep 2020, 5:29 pm

The latest injustice (perhaps to be rectified) is that hot hand of Daniel Berger and not being invited to play in the Augusta Invitational. I'd keep him out because of his silly name alone.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 8 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Thu 03 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm

Don't forget that Viktor Hovland is being left out of the Masters.  Mostly because of the ridiculous spelling of his first name.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 03 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm

GPB wrote:Don't forget that Viktor Hovland is being left out of the Masters.  
No he's not. Nor is Daniel Berger. They're going to play in the one they qualified for, next year. You're the one for people sticking to the rules. The Masters made their decision and (so far) they are sticking to it.*

* But it wouldn't surprise me if they did invite one or two others.....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 03 Sep 2020, 7:51 pm

super_realist wrote:
Poppy is better than calling yourself Walmart or whatever Yanks call their kids.
Uphill battle defending that name super...
But I guess “Caroline” was out of the question.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 03 Sep 2020, 8:02 pm

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Poppy is better than calling yourself Walmart or whatever Yanks call their kids.
Uphill battle defending that name super...
But I guess “Caroline” was out of the question.

Morphine or Opium would be awesome nicknames for her.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 03 Sep 2020, 8:16 pm

OK I'll bite. Poppy Kennedy is a stupid name. Who's with me? :-P

Davie

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 03 Sep 2020, 8:29 pm

The parents must have been popp(y)ing...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 03 Sep 2020, 8:33 pm

Probably pronounce the middle name "Ken NADY" too Rolling Eyes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 03 Sep 2020, 10:28 pm

Shotrock wrote:The latest injustice (perhaps to be rectified) is that hot hand of Daniel Berger and not being invited to play in the Augusta Invitational. I'd keep him out because of his silly name alone.

Berger is too busy playing banjo in Deliverance to play in The Masters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 03 Sep 2020, 10:29 pm

GPB wrote:Whew.  That was close

Praise Jesus!!!

Poppy Kennedy is not a name of derision from alleged adults!

Jesus is a stupid name though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 03 Sep 2020, 11:05 pm

super_realist wrote:Jesus is a stupid name though.
Tell it to his dad.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 03 Sep 2020, 11:59 pm

Davie wrote:OK I'll bite. Poppy Kennedy is a stupid name. Who's with me? :-P

Who is Poppy Kennedy?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 04 Sep 2020, 3:37 am

McLaren wrote:Who is Poppy Kennedy?

Rory and Erica's daughter, who was born earlier this week

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 04 Sep 2020, 10:58 am

Is Rory a JFK fan?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 04 Sep 2020, 11:05 am

McLaren wrote:Is Rory a JFK fan?

Probably a family name Mac or maybe a fan of Neighbours Dr Karl Kennedy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 04 Sep 2020, 2:57 pm

At the risk of juvenile derision from posters here, surnames are commonly used as Middle Names here in the USA. Many times it is a surname from maternal ancestors.

My own middle name is my mother's maiden name. My mother had two sisters and no brothers so there was no traditional way to pass down the family name.

"Webb" Simpson is the object of puerile mocking from some people on this board. If you don't know, Webb Simpson's full given name is James Frederick Webb Simpson. In his wiki profile, his mother is listed as Debbie Webb Simpson so my guess is that "Webb" is his mother's maiden name.

Rory's wife is from the Northeast, and there are a lot of people of Irish Ancestry in the Northeast. There is a good chance that Erica's mother or one of her grandmothers maiden name is "Kennedy."

There are probably thousands and thousands people named James Simpson in the USA. Probably not too many Webb Simpsons. I don't blame him for going by Webb.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 04 Sep 2020, 3:07 pm

GPB wrote:At the risk of juvenile derision from posters here, surnames are commonly used as Middle Names here in the USA.  Many times it is a surname from maternal ancestors.

My own middle name is my mother's maiden name.  My mother had two sisters and no brothers so there was no traditional way to pass down the family name.

"Webb" Simpson is the object of puerile mocking from some people on this board.  If you don't know, Webb Simpson's full given name is James Frederick Webb Simpson.  In his wiki profile, his mother is listed as Debbie Webb Simpson so my guess is that "Webb" is his mother's maiden name.

Rory's wife is from the Northeast, and there are a lot of people of Irish Ancestry in the Northeast.  There is a good chance that Erica's mother or one of her grandmothers maiden name is "Kennedy."

There are probably thousands and thousands people named James Simpson in the USA.  Probably not too many Webb Simpsons.  I don't blame him for going by Webb.

That doesn't explain why people use them for their first names. If it's your middle name, why use it as your forename?

Who cares if there's thousands of James Simpson's? Is he so insecure that he feels the need to identify himself more easily? Not like anyone is going to confuse him with James Simpson the plumber.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 04 Sep 2020, 3:16 pm

My sisters name is Luci Amber. We have always called her Amber. Not seen anything wrong with it. My wife have aunts in similar situation.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 04 Sep 2020, 3:32 pm

beninho wrote:My sisters name is Luci Amber. We have always called her Amber. Not seen anything wrong with it. My wife have aunts in similar situation.

Amber is an actual forename though, calling yourself by a surname is barmy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 04 Sep 2020, 4:46 pm

GPB wrote:Whew.  That was close

Praise Jesus!!!

Poppy Kennedy is not a name of derision from alleged adults!
Whoops....!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 04 Sep 2020, 4:52 pm

Some years ago the fishmongers in our local town was owned by a chap called Douglas Balls. Quite what he was thinking when he named his daughter Ophelia remains a mystery!

BlueCoverman

Davie, LadyPutt, pedro and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 04 Sep 2020, 9:07 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:At the risk of juvenile derision from posters here, surnames are commonly used as Middle Names here in the USA.  Many times it is a surname from maternal ancestors.

My own middle name is my mother's maiden name.  My mother had two sisters and no brothers so there was no traditional way to pass down the family name.

"Webb" Simpson is the object of puerile mocking from some people on this board.  If you don't know, Webb Simpson's full given name is James Frederick Webb Simpson.  In his wiki profile, his mother is listed as Debbie Webb Simpson so my guess is that "Webb" is his mother's maiden name.

Rory's wife is from the Northeast, and there are a lot of people of Irish Ancestry in the Northeast.  There is a good chance that Erica's mother or one of her grandmothers maiden name is "Kennedy."

There are probably thousands and thousands people named James Simpson in the USA.  Probably not too many Webb Simpsons.  I don't blame him for going by Webb.

That doesn't explain why people use them for their first names. If it's your middle name, why use it as your forename?

Who cares if there's thousands of James Simpson's? Is he so insecure that he feels the need to identify himself more easily? Not like anyone is going to confuse him with James Simpson the plumber.

What possible difference does it make if James Frederick wants to be called Webb instead of Jimmy, Jamie, Jim or James. I can't imagine being so uptight that this is bothersome.

there has never been cases of mistaken identity. Never.

My surname is an alternate (and rare) spelling of a somewhat common surname. (akin Smythe instead of Smith). And my first name is one of the most common names in USA and I think the UK. I am glad my last name has a unique spelling because on occasion, I have got mail and phone calls meant for a guy with the more common spelling. Chances are pretty good that other people with the spelling of my last name are (very) distant relatives.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 04 Sep 2020, 10:27 pm

I know of a guy whose first name is Eldrick. Since it’s so stupid he now goes by the name of an animal.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 04 Sep 2020, 10:32 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Some years ago the fishmongers in our local town was owned by a chap called Douglas Balls. Quite what he was thinking when he named his daughter Ophelia remains a mystery!
That story is a bit fishy.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 04 Sep 2020, 10:36 pm

Nice leaderboard shaping up at East Lake. Hopefully Poppys pops can keep focused.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 04 Sep 2020, 10:39 pm

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

What possible difference does it make if James Frederick wants to be called Webb instead of Jimmy, Jamie, Jim or James.  I can't imagine being so uptight that this is bothersome.

there has never been cases of mistaken identity.  Never.

My surname is an alternate (and rare) spelling of a somewhat common surname.  (akin Smythe instead of Smith).  And my first name is one of the most common names in USA and I think the UK.  I am glad my last name has a unique spelling because on occasion, I have got mail and phone calls meant for a guy with the more common spelling.  Chances are pretty good that other people with the spelling of my last name are (very) distant relatives.
GPB, don’t tell me your real name is John Holmez..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 04 Sep 2020, 10:41 pm

McLaren wrote:Is Rory a JFK fan?
Think he prefers Newark.

Ok I’ll get my coat now.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 05 Sep 2020, 5:29 am

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

What possible difference does it make if James Frederick wants to be called Webb instead of Jimmy, Jamie, Jim or James.  I can't imagine being so uptight that this is bothersome.

My surname is an alternate (and rare) spelling of a somewhat common surname.  (akin Smythe instead of Smith).  And my first name is one of the most common names in USA and I think the UK.  I am glad my last name has a unique spelling because on occasion, I have got mail and phone calls meant for a guy with the more common spelling.  Chances are pretty good that other people with the spelling of my last name are (very) distant relatives.

It makes a difference because if you use your mother's surname as your forename then presumably if you have siblings ( and as a fundie bible basher he probably has a "quiver full") so all your siblings are then also called Webb Simpson. Didn't think about that did you? That's why using your mother's surname as your forename is idiotic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 05 Sep 2020, 5:31 am

pedro wrote:I know of a guy whose first name is Eldrick. Since it’s so stupid he now goes by the name of an animal.

That is a truly crap name.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 05 Sep 2020, 8:56 am

Generally, anyone who has an issue with someone's name is basically a bit strange.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 05 Sep 2020, 11:44 am

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

It makes a difference because if you use your mother's surname as your forename then presumably if you have siblings ( and as a fundie bible basher he probably has a "quiver full") so all your siblings are then also called Webb Simpson. Didn't think about that did you? That's why using your mother's surname as your forename is idiotic.
Oh, for Heaven's sake. Why assume any siblings would do the same?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 05 Sep 2020, 11:48 am

On names, we all find some names odd, but who really cares?

The only 'issue' I might have w/ a name is (sadly) an American trait of naming sons, grandsons etc after some sort of 'dynasty' founder i.e. Davis Love III. No offence to those bearing such names, but how sad is it that in the modern era, the founder of the line feels some sort of vicarious need to live on through his offspring?

GPB - feel free to correct me on the above if there's something like the mother's maiden name thing (which I think is a nice touch) that I've missed.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 05 Sep 2020, 1:16 pm

Lee Westwoods daughter is called Poppy.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 05 Sep 2020, 3:16 pm

I’d rather be the first of myself than the third of someone else. I’d also want that for my children.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 05 Sep 2020, 3:49 pm

pedro wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:Some years ago the fishmongers in our local town was owned by a chap called Douglas Balls. Quite what he was thinking when he named his daughter Ophelia remains a mystery!
That story is a bit fishy.

Indeed I agree that it is. Rather surprisingly though it is true!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 05 Sep 2020, 5:12 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:On names, we all find some names odd, but who really cares?

Exactly, it seems some a trivial and frivolous thing to criticize

navyblueshorts wrote:The only 'issue' I might have w/ a name is (sadly) an American trait of naming sons, grandsons etc after some sort of 'dynasty' founder i.e. Davis Love III. No offence to those bearing such names, but how sad is it that in the modern era, the founder of the line feels some sort of vicarious need to live on through his offspring?

GPB - feel free to correct me on the above if there's something like the mother's maiden name thing (which I think is a nice touch) that I've missed.

I don't know other than some sort family thing. Despite being the 4th son, my father is Henry George _____ Jr. Why my grandparents waited until the 4th son to give the name Henry George is a mystery. Tracing my family tree, there are many many Henry Georges or George Henrys. Fortunately that tradition stopped in my generation and if there are any distant cousins with those names, I don't know them. And yes, my fathers ancestors originally came from England (before the Revolutionary War) and fought on Kings side.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 06 Sep 2020, 2:14 pm

As far as naming conventions in different parts of the world: vive la difference.

I'm one of 5 and my parents literally went down the alphabet!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 07 Sep 2020, 2:17 am

Wow. Some round by DJ. Epic fail if he loses this tournament, but I'll take any and all bets against someone else.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 07 Sep 2020, 6:36 am

Shotrock wrote:As far as naming conventions in different parts of the world: vive la difference.

I'm one of 5 and my parents literally went down the alphabet!

You and your sidings are named A,B, C, D and E?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 07 Sep 2020, 10:09 am

Unless someone from the top 4-5 goes out and shoots a low round of the week I don't think DJ will lose this. He has matured quite a bit lately.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 07 Sep 2020, 2:27 pm

I suppose I should have been clearer. Each of our first names begins with the letter A,B,C,D,E depending upon birth order.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 07 Sep 2020, 2:28 pm

Super

Are you happy with the name your parents gave you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 07 Sep 2020, 2:32 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Are you happy with the name your parents gave you?

Happy enough. Its a non Christian, conventional forename, not something like Picabo, Banjo, Diesel, Harvest or whatever madness is popular in America.
I like the Norwegian idea when you are not permitted to call your children ludicrous names.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Sep 2020, 11:20 pm

Dustin Johnson won the Tour Championship and the FedEx Cup. $15m bonus isn’t too shabby is it? 23 wins on the PGA tour now. Surely more majors must be on the horizon?

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 07 Sep 2020, 11:28 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Dustin Johnson won the Tour Championship and the FedEx Cup. $15m bonus isn’t too shabby is it? 23 wins on the PGA tour now. Surely more majors must be on the horizon?
Dustin didn’t win the TC, Xander did. So this won’t count as a PGAT win for Dustin. He did win the FedEx Cup though.
But agree about the majors.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 08 Sep 2020, 1:21 am

Splendid end of season for DJ. Who's number one these days? Put a towel (IMO, of course) over DJ, Rory, Rahm and JT. Shame the only major not to be played this year is the Open Championship. Looking forward to Winged Foot (played it many years ago).

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 08 Sep 2020, 2:24 am

super_realist wrote:
I like the Norwegian idea when you are not permitted to call your children ludicrous names.

Well, 80 yrs ago, they were in bed with the N@zis.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 08 Sep 2020, 2:26 am

pedro wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Dustin Johnson won the Tour Championship and the FedEx Cup. $15m bonus isn’t too shabby is it? 23 wins on the PGA tour now. Surely more majors must be on the horizon?
Dustin didn’t win the TC, Xander did. So this won’t count as a PGAT win for Dustin. He did win the FedEx Cup though.

Pedro, You better check again.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 Sep 2020, 6:19 am

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Well, 80 yrs ago, they were in bed with the N@zis.

What the hell are you on about? Norway stood strongly against the Nazi's. The Norwegian resistance was one of  the fiercest in WW2 and fought hard whilst America sat on its fat arse like in WW1 pretending there wasn't a war on.
I had a Norwegian sea plane squadron operating out of my village during the war, how would they do that if they colluded with the Nazi's? .

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 08 Sep 2020, 8:37 am

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:

Pedro, You better check again.
What did I miss? Does the FEC count as a PGAT win?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next