The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

+41
Samo
Brendan
westisbest
Heaf
BamBam
Old Man
RiscaGame
formerly known as Sam
Jimmy Moz
king_carlos
chris_501
funnyExiledScot
Luckless Pedestrian
CaptainHaddock
sensisball
George Carlin
doctor_grey
Hazel Sapling
Noble-Surfer
No9
R!skysports
Highland Shaun
Cyril
flyhalffactory
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
BigGee
EST
Oakdene
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mikey_dragon
RDW
Anglobraveheart
whatahitson
Collapse2005
TightHEAD
majesticimperialman
tigertattie
bsando
45 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 7 Empty France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

Post by bsando Sun 21 Mar 2021, 5:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

France vs Scotland

Stade de France
Friday 26th of March 2021
KO: 20:00
Referee: Wayne "Barnesy" Barnes (England)
TV Coverage: Live on BBC

Teams

France
15-Brice Dulin, 14-Damian Penaud, 13-Virimi Vakatawa, 12-Arthur Vincent, 11-Gael Fickou, 10-Romain Ntamack, 9-Antoine Dupont; 1-Cyril Baille, 2- Julien Marchand, 3-Mohamed Haouas, 4- Bernard Le Roux, 5-Swan Rebbadj, 6-Anthony Jelonch, Charles Ollivon (capt), 8-Gregory Alldritt.

Replacements: 16-Camille Chat, 17-Jean-Baptiste Gros, 18-Uini Atonio, 19-Romain Taofifenua, 20-Dylan Cretin, 21-Baptiste Serin, 22-Anthony Bouthier, 23-Teddy Thomas.

Scotland
15-Stuart Hogg (capt), 14-Darcy Graham, 13-Chris Harris, 12-Sam Johnson, 11-Duhan van der Merwe, 10-Finn Russell, 9-Ali Price; 1-Rory Sutherland, 2-George Turner, 3-Zander Fagerson, 4-Sam Skinner, 5-Grant Gilchrist, 6-Jamie Ritchie, 7-Hamish Watson, 8-Matt Fagerson

Replacements: 16-Dave Cherry, 17-Oli Kebble, 18-Simon Berghan, 19-Alex Craig, 20-Nick Haining, 21-Scott Steele, 22-Adam Hastings, 23-Huw Jones

The fate of Welsh rugby being in Scottish hands is the big talking point after a dramatic and gut wrenching end to Wales Grand Slam hopes. You can read about all the possible title winning scenarios by following this link >>> https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2021/03/21/scenarios-how-the-guinness-six-nations-title-will-be-decided-by-france-v-scotland/

Scotland

It's a tournament that started so promisingly. A chance of winning a 6N title, ultimately coming down to a tap tackle on DVDM against Wales. Had Scotland won that match and gained 5 points with a BP last gasp score, Scots fans could have been tuning in to watch their team fight it out with France for the title themselves this weekend, even after losing to Ireland at home.

For Scottish fans it is still a crucial match for the following reasons...

The opportunity for Scotland to finish 2nd for the first time in Six Nations history (Our best result being 3rd in 2001, 2006, 2013 and 2018)

The possibility of a first away win to France since 1999

Scottish Lions selection

And on a secondary note, a good win could put Hogg in contention for Player of the Championship for a third time (equalling Brian O'Driscoll's record).

Stats from the 2021 Six Nations

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/overview/?FixGuid=20FS4243#overview

France and Scotland have very similar statistics after four matches played. Both teams have scored 15 tries a piece, both have made a similar amount of line breaks and scrums and turnovers won. France have a slightly higher return rate per visit to the opposition 22 than Scotland do and nine more dominant tackles. Scotland have a better defensive record with less tackles missed.

Last edited by bsando on Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 7 Empty Re: France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

Post by Guest Fri 26 Mar 2021, 10:52 pm

Samo wrote:If Wales missed their only conversion against Scotland, Scotland would have won the entire tournament.

Wales BP win would become a 2 BP loss, dropping them from 20 to 17 points.  Scotlands BP loss would become a non BP win, which would have pushed them to 18 points.

Incredibly fine margins.  

True. But if Wales had just picked and drove for 15 more seconds without a player going off his feet we would have won the grand slam outright! Fine margins, true!

Back to top Go down

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 7 Empty Re: France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

Post by TJ Fri 26 Mar 2021, 10:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
TJ wrote:Finns red?  Unfortunate but these days a red all the way.

These days maybe. But in my humble opinion that shouldn't even be foul play. The French player should tackle properly and go low.

I'm remain unconvinced that sending players off almost every game is making anything safer at all.

Players will have to learn to play differently

Its only a few years ago these boards were full of complaints about Ben teo ( I think it was) forearm smashing everyone in sight

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:09 pm

Well done Scotland epic win fully deserved.

6N needs a fully fighting and competitive Scotland, I grew up thinking that Scotland were one of the best. It's a shame where you have gone since 2000.

I hope you go from strength to strength. OK

LordDowlais

bsando and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:28 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Samo wrote:If Wales missed their only conversion against Scotland, Scotland would have won the entire tournament.

Wales BP win would become a 2 BP loss, dropping them from 20 to 17 points.  Scotlands BP loss would become a non BP win, which would have pushed them to 18 points.

Incredibly fine margins.  

True.  But if Wales had just picked and drove for 15 more seconds without a player going off his feet we would have won the grand slam outright!  Fine margins, true!

Didn't Sheedy miss something like 6 very kickable points against Scotland when he came on which is why Scotland were still in the game at the last play?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56230706

This was a topsy-turvy tournament all told, but I think the 'ifs' and 'buts' just sum up how close this was, how beatable each team is, and how the lack of crowds makes a huge difference in removing home advantage, rather than Scotland (or any other team) nearly dominating the tournament.

For what it's worth, the technical side of sport (football included) has probably improved since the pandemic. The intensity in rugby hasn't suffered (yet) in the same way that it has in football (Liverpool etc) but if it went on indefinitely eventually it probably would.

As a 'spectacle' the rugby has been brilliant this year even if the atmosphere is evidently a huge loss.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:59 pm

Agreed on Sam Johnson. He carries like Scott Gibbs but at half the weight!! I don't think we've ever had a better group to choose from at 12.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 Mar 2021, 12:17 am

Wow, I turned my phone off as I left work at 20.00 and just watched the most incredible game of rugby.

All in all its been a decent 6N for us, we are getting really close now.

Going to bed feeling very good about Scottish rugby tonight.

Well done Wales on the championship as well, worthy winners and glad we could give you a hand in the end!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Mar 2021, 12:37 am

My player ratings from this bonkers game

Sutherland - 6
Scrum improved after the first one but quiet around the pitch. Has had a quiet tournament compared to last 6N.

Turner - 7.5
I think lineout was flawless when he was on and he played like a man intent on making up for his last performance.

Fagerson - 7.5
Huge shift from the man, negated the French scrum and all action around the park.

Gilchrist - 7
Much maligned but it's to both of Skinner and Gilchrist's credit that we didn't notice Gray and Cummings' absence. Lineout faltered in the last 20 minutes unfortunately.

Skinner - 7
See above

Ritchie - 9

Collosal performance - he'll be a broken man after that shift. A complete menace and a key turnover to his name.

Watson - 9
Outrageous stats again - 17 carries for 38m, 3 tackles broken, 13 tackles made. I know there's a lot of competition but if he's not in the Lions it'll be a travesty.

Haining - 6
Part of a decent pack performance but didn't make much of an impression.

Price - 3
I've tried to avoid puting the boot in too much this tournament but he was awful.  So slow at rucks, fannied about at the scrum which led to France's period of pressure in the first half, passes to no-one....not a good tournament.

Russell - 4
He didn't do a massive amount throughout the game then got sent off. I can't help but think our style of play really doesn't suit him anymore - still work to do from Toonie in this front.

VDM - 6.5
Well marshalled by France and caught out for their try, but a great finish to win the game gives him plenty credit. As soon as he caught the ball you just knew he'd score. A really strong tournament from the big man.

Johnson - 7
Carries like he has a disregard for his welfare and part of a huge defensive shift. Out a marker down to Redpath that he won't give up the shirt without a fight.

Harris - 9
A defensive masterclass and outrageous amount of work. As a former 13 who had terrible defensive positioning I can appreciate someone who is great at it. Completely justified his selection over Jones. A good dilemma for us to have at 13!

Graham - 6
A quiet game and still looks shirt of confidence and form. Maitland would have been playing if not for the limit on PRL players. His spot is definitely up for grabs

Hogg - 7
The yellow card could have happened to anyone by that stage. Had a very assured game and showed great leadership and control. A dark horse for Lions captain..? He's one of the few names likely nailed on for a test spot (Williams on the wing) and has done a great job as Captain for Scotland. A timely world class player.

Bench - shout out for Dave cherry for another try, and Kebble made good impact in the end. Hastings pass at the end justifying his selection!

RDW
Founder
Founder

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 Mar 2021, 12:46 am

Maybe a touch harsh on a few there

We did win!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 27 Mar 2021, 1:09 am

Harsh on Haining and Russell in particular. Russell's kicking was pretty decent, and he kept the French defense honest. I also think his red card was a joke.

Agreed on Price though. 3 is perhaps harsh, but it's a point worth making. We sorely need Dobie, Horne, Steele, Shiel or someone else to step up. Price is slow when he needs to be fast, and fast when he needs to be slow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Mar 2021, 1:49 am

Ok Haining gets a 6.5, Price a 4 and Russell a 6.5 (he did get sent off!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 27 Mar 2021, 2:19 am

Morning chentlemenn.
Just watched the game.WOW .
Grant Gilchrist was immense in the lineout.
Turner's darts were excellent.
I believe VDM has now passed O'Driscoll's rec6of 29 defenders beaten in a tournament.
I think Hamish may have set a new record for consecutive tackles without missing one.
I believe Batman gave away ZERO penalties when he came on.
Bed time...to dream of Paris
As Helen Of Troy once said.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Mar 2021, 3:35 am

Is Jimbo praising Gilchrist not one of the harbingers of the apocalypse?? Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat 27 Mar 2021, 6:22 am

Just a great win, so proud of the lads. We really, really needed that win and they stood up and were counted. Hamish Watson, what a colossus - man of the tournament for me, If he doesn’t tour with the Lions it will confirm every bad thought I’ve ever had about Gatland and his selection policy. Usually I try and see the Lions selections dispassionately, but it will be a travesty if he isn’t selected.

I have to say, I’m slightly disheartened by some of the comments on Russell, his tactical and place kicking last night was really good! Well placed high bombs, good kicking to the corner, nice chips behind keeping the French turning, kicked all his goals! We ask him to be more pragmatic, and in the lashing rain he was. I appreciate he was red carded, but It was instinctive rather than deliberate and Dullins tackle technique was awful - more of an unlucky rugby incident.

EST

NeilyBroon and CaptainHaddock like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 27 Mar 2021, 7:46 am

So this is how it feels when your team win in Paris and you neck half a bottle of riesling
Harris and Gilchrist immense. Id take Harris as a Lion. Price nearly stuffed it up.

Incredible!!

Mcsweens

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 Mar 2021, 7:52 am

I'd agree about Russell, I thought he played well also, the sort of tactical kicking game that we think he can't do and he put in a great shift in defence to.

The sending off was pretty harsh as well imo!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 27 Mar 2021, 7:58 am

Fickou was a beast all night - Dupont v quiet!

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 27 Mar 2021, 7:59 am

Can't believe it's 22 years. Remember that game so clearly. Makes me quite emotional tbh

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 Mar 2021, 8:03 am

Ritchie got MoM and well deserved but Watson, Gilchrist, Skinner and Haining certainly put in a shift in the pack. Amazing that we did not really miss JG and SC at all, who would have thought. Craig, Cherry and Keeble put in a shift off the bench as well.

I hope no-one questions Harris right to be in the team any more as well. He was an absolute rock, as he has been all tournament. Could be be a Lions bolter?

Others who did their Lions credentials no harm would be:

Fagerson
Ritchie
Watson
VDM
Sutherland

Hogg is obviously nailed on (is anyone talking about him as captain, he has done well for Scotland this year in that role) and Russell still well in the mix

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Mar 2021, 8:14 am

Mcsweens wrote:Fickou was a beast all night - Dupont v quiet!

I would have had him as MOM myself. Most dangerous player on the park

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 27 Mar 2021, 8:18 am

I would like to say that was the best game i have ever seen Scotland play yesterday, well deserved win. Before the game started i thought France would score 4 tries in the first half. How wrong i was.

It has been one of the best 6ns i can remember every game has been right up there with top performance, with the exemption perhaps of England playing sonme of the worst rugby for a long time.

Again well payed Scotland.

majesticimperialman

alive555, jimbopip and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 27 Mar 2021, 8:25 am

No, I was wrong about Harris. He was superb last night, and the right selection against France in those conditions.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sat 27 Mar 2021, 8:33 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:No, I was wrong about Harris. He was superb last night, and the right selection against France in those conditions.

agreed. I was totaly wrong about him. hes just got better and better. Lions bolter?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 27 Mar 2021, 8:38 am

Scotland's mental strength to keep in the fight was fabulous to see. France's decision to hardly ever contest the lineout certainly helped our cause. On the other hand the French looked out of sorts for large parts of the game in terms of trying to apply an pattern of play. That was partly down to our great kick chase game but i think they started hunting for their 4 tries far too early, running from their own 22 early on, in the pouring rain against an organized defense. Then after a sustained period under the cosh they had good field position to kick from penalties to the corner and test us with their driving maul. Instead they took 3 points, allowing us to stay ahead on the score board. Their thinking seemed, dare i say it, (hopefully it wont be classed as a hate crime by the SG) very French!

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 27 Mar 2021, 9:01 am

Harris
Far be it for me to be an "I told you so"
But
I told you so France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 7 1f600
I thought he was MOTM

But seriously what an all round performance by the boys 1-23
Brilliant stuff
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 27 Mar 2021, 9:09 am

RDW wrote:My player ratings from this bonkers game

Sutherland - 6
Scrum improved after the first one but quiet around the pitch. Has had a quiet tournament compared to last 6N.

Turner - 7.5
I think lineout was flawless when he was on and he played like a man intent on making up for his last performance.

Fagerson - 7.5
Huge shift from the man, negated the French scrum and all action around the park.

Gilchrist - 7
Much maligned but it's to both of Skinner and Gilchrist's credit that we didn't notice Gray and Cummings' absence. Lineout faltered in the last 20 minutes unfortunately.

Skinner - 7
See above

Ritchie - 9

Collosal performance - he'll be a broken man after that shift. A complete menace and a key turnover to his name.

Watson - 9
Outrageous stats again - 17 carries for 38m, 3 tackles broken, 13 tackles made. I know there's a lot of competition but if he's not in the Lions it'll be a travesty.

Haining - 6
Part of a decent pack performance but didn't make much of an impression.

Price - 3
I've tried to avoid puting the boot in too much this tournament but he was awful.  So slow at rucks, fannied about at the scrum which led to France's period of pressure in the first half, passes to no-one....not a good tournament.

Russell - 4
He didn't do a massive amount throughout the game then got sent off. I can't help but think our style of play really doesn't suit him anymore - still work to do from Toonie in this front.

VDM - 6.5
Well marshalled by France and caught out for their try, but a great finish to win the game gives him plenty credit. As soon as he caught the ball you just knew he'd score. A really strong tournament from the big man.

Johnson - 7
Carries like he has a disregard for his welfare and part of a huge defensive shift. Out a marker down to Redpath that he won't give up the shirt without a fight.

Harris - 9
A defensive masterclass and outrageous amount of work. As a former 13 who had terrible defensive positioning I can appreciate someone who is great at it. Completely justified his selection over Jones. A good dilemma for us to have at 13!

Graham - 6
A quiet game and still looks shirt of confidence and form. Maitland would have been playing if not for the limit on PRL players. His spot is definitely up for grabs

Hogg - 7
The yellow card could have happened to anyone by that stage. Had a very assured game and showed great leadership and control. A dark horse for Lions captain..? He's one of the few names likely nailed on for a test spot (Williams on the wing) and has done a great job as Captain for Scotland. A timely world class player.

Bench - shout out for Dave cherry for another try, and Kebble made good impact in the end. Hastings pass at the end justifying his selection!

Nice One

Frightening to think we arguably had
3rd choice hooker
4th & 5th choice locks
2nd choice 8
2nd choice IC
A 1st choice 9 who could soon be a 3rd choice
Starting last night
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Sat 27 Mar 2021, 9:15 am

On reflection that was one crazy game of rugby between one team trying to win and the other team trying to win by 22 points.

For the last half hour, France became visibly disheartened and what could have been extra motivation - a first six nations tournament in a decade - became a weakness as it dawned on them the tournament was gone. In typical French fashion, they forgot all about winning the game and that allowed Scotland back in. Crazy finish, it had shades of the 2015 game against England but in a different way.

France lost the championship either side of half time. The lineout steal 5m out (Gilchrist?) was a huge intervention just after Hogg had been carded. The France blew a clear overlap on the right wing while Hogg was still off the field. That was a minimum of 5 points, potentially 14 points, that France failed to take. That would have given them roughly a 15 point lead with 30 minutes to go and it becomes a very different emotional/mental game where Scotland need to chase it. As it was, every stoppage for the last half hour seemed to take something away from the French who are still some distance from being a top team that can put in a performance for 80 minutes.

Unfortunately, I thought Barnes had a poor game as referee, second worst of the tournament in fact. Particularly first half. A few strange calls including a try that looked like blatant double movement but also persistently opaque refereeing of the breakdown that seemed to come down harshly on the French and I think it disrupted their game. The decisions seemed to even up a little more after the break, athough I thought Ritchie was very fortunate to win a penalty for binding on to Dulin's body rather than the ball, and Russell looked like a clear yellow card with the arm landing across the chest but you can see why it was given as a red with the angles provided.

Nice for Scotland to get the win. An odd game in an odd tournament.

I also think Scotland lose nothing with Hastings over Russell. He had 3 involvements, two steps and one pass, and he executed them well to set up the winning try.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Mar 2021, 9:41 am

Hastings also did his classic - "get the ball, have no idea what to do with it, run upright into traffic and get turned over" I do not see an international player there. I would rather have Meatball

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:19 am

TJ wrote:Hastings also did his classic - "get the ball, have no idea what to do with it, run upright into traffic and get turned over"  I do not see an international player there.  I would rather have Meatball
Didn't he also try that chip over the defence in the last 5 minutes which was caught by a French defender? Just as Scotland was moving the ball pretty well and lost possession?

You are calling Russell 'Meatball'? Based on what I have seen on the pitch, he is a bit of a nut case.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:20 am

Meatball is Duncan Weir

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:47 am

Hastings was just trying stuff, as Finn does. High risk and all that. His try scoring pass was excellent.
I think Russell hasn't been at his best throughout the tournament, but the big thing for me is the way that the team/squad have really pulled together to make the team a whole lot stronger than the constituent parts.
We have played like a team of individual talents before, but for the most part of this 6N we have been a team. Just great to see.
Our defence has been excellent, and last night (3rd French try excepted) our defence in the red zone has been light years ahead of where we were. I suspect Steve Tandy has a lot to be given credit for.
Similarly in attack, we have scored from pick and goes, which we would never have done previously in a month of Sundays.
Much as Harris has been great, I would like to see a Redpath/Jones centre pairing. And we desperately need George Horne back, it's great news that he is having his first game back this weekend for Glasgow.
I thought Wayne Barnes had a terrible game. Do many poor decisions, which started at scrum time when the French loosehead was visibly boring in on Zander.
The first VDM try was quite clearly a double movement, and there were a few obviously forward passes and a knock in in the French passage of play towards the end of the first half.
Price should have been given 10 mins for the tackle of the try scorer (when he wasn't in possession of the ball) BUT, I felt no sympathy for France there with their pathetic football-like gesturing to the referee.
As for Finn's sending off, I am pee'd off with the ball carrier being penalised for protecting himself (Like jumping for the ball and a 'tackler' running into your boot/knee/elbow - the 'tackler needs to back off, if he cannot challenge in the air for the ball imo) - the French tackler was effectively making an upright challenge to Finn, and again imo, if his body position is like that, then it's his own fault if he gets an elbow in the chops.
It's a load of ballcocks that Finn hot a red for that. If the tackler had been tackling lower, instead of a potential body check,then he wouldn't get hit in the face or neck.
I think that the best solution is to just make tackles to be below the rib cage only. Reduces risk and removes doubt.
I thought Barnes was poor, and he is normally one of the better refs.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:54 am

TJ wrote:Meatball is Duncan Weir
Thank. I didn't get that before. I really do think Russell is a bit of a nut case though.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:58 am

The French will be kicking Penaud for getting the ball down. Would have been more useful to get the 7 and play 13 men for a bit. The perverse nature of some laws.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:08 am

Sorry.
I also forgot to add that whilst we are improving in many areas, we need to stop the recurring stupid penalties. We have made it really difficult for ourselves because of this. I'm not blaming Barnes for it, we need to sort our discipline out, with the performance in the Calcutta Cup game as the benchmark for penalty control.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:13 am

Anglobraveheart wrote:Sorry.
I also forgot to add that whilst we are improving in many areas, we need to stop the recurring stupid penalties. We have made it really difficult for ourselves because of this. I'm not blaming Barnes for it, we need to sort our discipline out, with the performance in the Calcutta Cup game as the benchmark for penalty control.

and to a greater extent, during the second half of this game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:19 am

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/scotland-player-ratings-vs-france-2021-six-nations/

I would say these rating a bit more accurate than yours Founder!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:49 am

BigGee wrote:
Anglobraveheart wrote:Sorry.

and to a greater extent, during the second half of this game!
Correct Big Gee. Our close out in the second half and unwillingness to concede was reminiscent of France v Wales, and also of the Welsh commitment throughout their other games to be resilient, composed and find ways to win.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:59 am

TJ wrote:Hastings also did his classic - "get the ball, have no idea what to do with it, run upright into traffic and get turned over"  I do not see an international player there.  I would rather have Meatball

Finn Russell was sent off. Second card of the tournament for foul play.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 27 Mar 2021, 12:22 pm

Firstly the best thing to take from that game was that we were under the cosh but we managed to get the win. Usually we just don’t manage.

This being said that wasn’t our best performance by a long shot. We’re relying on Watson and Ritchie to dig us out of holes too often. Harris stepped up in defence also but we still have players and moments that will cost us in other games.

I’ve been saying we’re lacking in ball carriers to give us go forward ball but last night just confirmed to me that the source of our lack of go forward is Ali Price. I lost count of the times a forward would start running forward to carry then would have to stop to wait for price to pass the ball. I’ve been getting stick for giving price too much stick so I’ll try to reduce the number of times I say how woeful a player he is.

The other aspect of our game we need to sort out to ever have dreams of winning the title is our discipline. Gilchrist was very good last night but his decision to lay an arm over the ball for no reason while he was laying on the ground 5m from the line in the first half was just brainless. I think that was his only one but there’s too many in the team that seem to just Chuck themselves into situations out of desperation. The annoying this is that in open play we’re really really good at soaking up pressure but someone does something brainless in the middle of the park (like not get the ball away from the base of the scrum) and then the resulting penalty puts us 10m from our own line and that’s when the desperation kicks in. It’s like we’re afraid we’ll not be able to score in return if we concede points.

Fix the 9 and fix the penalty count and we’ll be in a far better place.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Sat 27 Mar 2021, 10:20 pm

Ok I watched the game back as much of the first half was disrupted for me.

Barnes had an absolute stinker. France can feel massively aggrieved. I thought he was harsh but some of the calls are just... Erm

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:13 pm

whatahitson wrote:

What does Dancer have to do with a discussion about Haircut and Meatball?

do you even watch Scottish rugby?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:14 pm

whatahitson wrote:Ok I watched the game back as much of the first half was disrupted for me.

Barnes had an absolute stinker. France can feel massively aggrieved. I thought he was harsh but some of the calls are just... Erm

Will that be because you don't understand the rules? Barnes was great as ever. Best ref around by a long long way.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:34 pm

He’s just trying to stir TJ. Best ignored.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:51 pm

tigertattie wrote:He’s just trying to stir TJ. Best ignored.

Oh I know
do you think he knows who Dancer, Haircut and Meatball are?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 27 Mar 2021, 11:59 pm

TJ wrote:

Oh I know
do you think he knows who Dancer, haircut and Meatball are?

Unlikely. Not many people do. Only those subjected to the ramblings of Jimbo to be fair.

Dancer can be worked out due to his dancing, but many others are near impossible.

At least when I named Ritchie “Mbawsa” others could at least have a crack at working it out. But some of the ones jimbo has come up with are just, well, Jimboish.

The good ship Grimpleton.........
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sun 28 Mar 2021, 12:35 am

You guys will have to teach me about the nicknames giveb to our players by Jimbo lol because I get confused.

If he didn't tell the other poster who "Meatball" was I probably would have asked myself.

I'm sure I will get used to it though Tigertattie Smile.

Got to say, I'm really liking the forum, and posters :-D, you guys seem to like my two 6N threads which is pleasing, I wasn't sure how my report card one would have gone down. I actually got the idea from a very good YouTube star, Rugby Analyst (well worth a watch).

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Sun 28 Mar 2021, 8:08 am

TJ wrote:
whatahitson wrote:

What does Dancer have to do with a discussion about Haircut and Meatball?

do you even watch Scottish rugby?

Your comment was directly after mine. I assumed you were referring to my praise of Hastings. Duncan Weir was mentioned after that. Go back and check, you'll see.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Sun 28 Mar 2021, 8:09 am

Nonsense. A series of bizarre calls at the breakdown and then a try that clearly wasn't a clear try (!) all went to Scotland in the first half. For what it's worth I thought Barnes was poor in the Wales v Ireland game as well. He's too quick on the whistle.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Sun 28 Mar 2021, 8:10 am

TJ wrote:
whatahitson wrote:Ok I watched the game back as much of the first half was disrupted for me.

Will that be because you don't understand the rules?  Barnes was great as ever.  Best ref around by a long long way.

No. The fact that's your only conclusion for a different opinion says it all though.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Sun 28 Mar 2021, 8:18 am

https://www.ruck.co.uk/france-fans-rage-at-wayne-barnes-after-scotland-defeat/

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 28 Mar 2021, 9:59 am

tigertattie wrote:
TJ wrote:

Oh I know
do you think he knows who Dancer, haircut and Meatball are?

Unlikely. Not many people do. Only those subjected to the ramblings of Jimbo to be fair. When i first saw this I was slightly cross, then i saw it was my darling tigertattie! Highland, you must realise that the moribund Luvvie and I are like an old married couple (or possibly the Stadler and Waldorf of the Scottish posters) in that we take a perverse pleasure in insulting one and other.

Dancer can be worked out due to his dancing, but many others are near impossible.

At least when I named Ritchie “Mbawsa” Early onset forgetfulness, my plagiaristic brother...I'm fairly sure it was me!!! others could at least have a crack at working it out.A crack, a feccin crack at working out a joke which was elderly in 1974 when I first heard it. Mind, you dwell in the city whose only contribution to comedy was Bill Barclay. But some of the ones jimbo has come up with are just, well, Jimboish. In the sense that you have to actually think for more than a nanosecond???

The good ship Grimpleton.........
What the feccin feccity fecc is a Grimpleton? We don't need the BMA doing an in depth survey into the effects of concussion on former front row players, they just have to read your ramblings. By the way did you remember to put the clocks forward last night? I didn't.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next