The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

+52
funnyExiledScot
Galted
Exiledinborders
Mr Bounce
Northgrill
LeinsterFan4life
miltonkeynesengland
formerly known as Sam
alfie
Pot Hale
profitius
CaptainHaddock
BigTrevsbigmac
Tramptastic
TightHEAD
Old Man
TheMildlyFranticLlama
MichaelT
Heaf
Oakdene
protea438
flyhalffactory
BigGee
alive555
Duty281
RiscaGame
LordDowlais
Sgt_Pooly
chris_501
123456789.
Pete330v2
bsando
EST
The Oracle
cb
mikey_dragon
BamBam
Soul Requiem
lostinwales
eirebilly
Collapse2005
jimbopip
TJ
George Carlin
sensisball
R!skysports
No 7&1/2
Rugby Fan
king_carlos
doctor_grey
aucklandlaurie
RDW
56 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by RDW Sun 01 Aug 2021, 11:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 A_10                  South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Lions_10                
SOUTH AFRICA BRITISH & IRISH LIONS
Saturday 7th August
KO: 18:00 SAST / 17:00 UK / 02:00 Australia  Crying or Very sad
Cape Town Stadium
Sky Sports Main Event

TEAMS:

SOUTH AFRICA
A very large bunch of blokes.

WAZZER'S WIZARDS

15. Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) #833
14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby, Wales) #836
13. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824
12. Bundee Aki (Connacht Rugby, Ireland) #837
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841
10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821
09. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843

01. Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842
02. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829
03. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818
04. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825
05. Alun Wyn Jones – captain (Ospreys, Wales) #761
06. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826
07. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853
08. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839

16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787
18. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814
19. Adam Beard (Ospreys, Wales) #852
20. Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, England) #849
21. Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790
22. Finn Russell (Racing 92, Scotland) #835
23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822


RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 31097
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down


South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 Aug 2021, 7:49 pm

chris_501 wrote:

I've always said that the loss in the WC final to SA has spooked Eddie Jones into believing that physical dominance is the only way, I get the feeling the same is happening to Gats.

I think you can create a team to outplay SA...but this is almost impossible with a scratch side like the Lions. You just can't create the combinations in a month.

Sgt_Pooly
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 34926
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by LordDowlais Mon 02 Aug 2021, 8:05 pm

There is two possibly three players that need changing, and that is the back 3. All this nonsense about them not being given a chance is just that, nonsense.

Hogg was very erratic under the high ball, and he was creamed for SA's first try. VDM just doesn't do enough, sorry, but he is not good enough. He needs to start looking for work, and he needs to learn how to catch a high ball, Watson was poor, but at least he was coming inside looking for the ball, and he was making some hard yards.

But Hogg and VDM deffo need to be dropped, VDM should be dropped for that trip alone, we need to bring in Adams and Williams, I would stick with Watson, but I would not be upset to see LRZ start.

AWJ is the captain, so people clamouring fir him to be dropped need to open their eyes, he really did lead by example, he was tackling everything, and he was smashing every ruck, at one point he was just covered in his own blood. Itoje is one of our best players, he needs to start as well.

As for the rest, you could make a good argument for all the positions, but none of them really did anything wrong, perhaps Vunipola as he struggled, and Murray as he his a little bit too slow at the base of the rucks, but for me, the biggest calls that need to be made, is to drop Hogg and VDM.

LordDowlais

Posts : 15057
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 02 Aug 2021, 8:13 pm

LordDowlais wrote:There is two possibly three players that need changing, and that is the back 3. All this nonsense about them not being given a chance is just that, nonsense.

Hogg was very erratic under the high ball, and he was creamed for SA's first try. VDM just doesn't do enough, sorry, but he is not good enough. He needs to start looking for work, and he needs to learn how to catch a high ball, Watson was poor, but at least he was coming inside looking for the ball, and he was making some hard yards.

But Hogg and VDM deffo need to be dropped, VDM should be dropped for that trip alone, we need to bring in Adams and Williams, I would stick with Watson, but I would not be upset to see LRZ start.

AWJ is the captain, so people clamouring fir him to be dropped need to open their eyes, he really did lead by example, he was tackling everything, and he was smashing every ruck, at one point he was just covered in his own blood. Itoje is one of our best players, he needs to start as well.

As for the rest, you could make a good argument for all the positions, but none of them really did anything wrong, perhaps Vunipola as he struggled, and Murray as he his a little bit too slow at the base of the rucks, but for me, the biggest calls that need to be made, is to drop Hogg and VDM.

Always been the problem that he's picked his captain and then needs to play him.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by RiscaGame Mon 02 Aug 2021, 8:35 pm

The Oracle wrote:Gatland is also one to give players another chance to redeem themselves. His theory being (I think) that those players who lost or put in a sub-par performance will be busting a gut to prove the critics wrong and will put in a 110% performance. So we might see few changes.

This has been my nagging thought.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4671
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 Aug 2021, 9:05 pm

LordDowlais wrote:There is two possibly three players that need changing, and that is the back 3. All this nonsense about them not being given a chance is just that, nonsense.

Hogg was very erratic under the high ball, and he was creamed for SA's first try. VDM just doesn't do enough, sorry, but he is not good enough. He needs to start looking for work, and he needs to learn how to catch a high ball, Watson was poor, but at least he was coming inside looking for the ball, and he was making some hard yards.

But Hogg and VDM deffo need to be dropped, VDM should be dropped for that trip alone, we need to bring in Adams and Williams, I would stick with Watson, but I would not be upset to see LRZ start.

AWJ is the captain, so people clamouring fir him to be dropped need to open their eyes, he really did lead by example, he was tackling everything, and he was smashing every ruck, at one point he was just covered in his own blood. Itoje is one of our best players, he needs to start as well.

As for the rest, you could make a good argument for all the positions, but none of them really did anything wrong, perhaps Vunipola as he struggled, and Murray as he his a little bit too slow at the base of the rucks, but for me, the biggest calls that need to be made, is to drop Hogg and VDM.

Agree with the back 3 thoughts LD, Watson may survive but he wasn't great.

AWJ will not be dropped, he was great in the 1st half, he'll improve in the 3rd test.

Sgt_Pooly
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 34926
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by RiscaGame Mon 02 Aug 2021, 9:48 pm

Think this is a pretty interesting thread on Twitter. It’s about 18 tweets worth, but I found it worth the read.

https://twitter.com/samlstandsup/status/1422242167632896000?s=21

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4671
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 02 Aug 2021, 9:54 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Think this is a pretty interesting thread on Twitter. It’s about 18 tweets worth, but I found it worth the read.

https://twitter.com/samlstandsup/status/1422242167632896000?s=21

Thanks, not surprised at all on the kick stats. Murray box kicks were on point all day on Saturday yet the kick chase was quite poor for the most part. Think Liam Williams might have made a difference.

"The second half collapse happened once the Lions lost their scum and lineout platform."

Also agree on this, the replacement front row were quite disappointing. Lineout also could have been a bit better.

Collapse2005

Posts : 5506
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Duty281 Mon 02 Aug 2021, 10:42 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58064491

Erasmus facing a misconduct hearing. Good. Throw the book at him. Then retrieve the book and throw it at him again.

Duty281

Posts : 25915
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 26
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by R!skysports Tue 03 Aug 2021, 7:10 am

I think we are getting into the dangerous area of players are getting better and better by not playing

When Williams came on during the first test, he also missed catches.

The Murray kicks may have been in the right area, but they were so slow that the defence could flood the area.

Unless we change to point of attack at some point, it does not matter who you have on, it is an impossible job

Either we try and mix it up and actually use the strong runners (as well as tactical kicking), or we lose - simple

I would put Williams in instead of VDM and change Murray for Price. Keep Bigger, but allow him to play

(and have either Russel or Smith as a replacement on the bench)


R!skysports

Posts : 3634
Join date : 2011-03-17

sensisball and lostinwales like this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 8:26 am

Duty281 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58064491

Erasmus facing a misconduct hearing. Good. Throw the book at him. Then retrieve the book and throw it at him again.

They've warned Gatland as well but left it at that following his comments on the appointment of Jonker.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by alive555 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 8:49 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58064491

Erasmus facing a misconduct hearing. Good. Throw the book at him. Then retrieve the book and throw it at him again.

They've warned Gatland as well but left it at that following his comments on the appointment of Jonker.

Remember Mark Dodson got a 70,000 pound fine for suggesting a world cup game should be forfeited if it wasnt played.

alive555

Posts : 1208
Join date : 2011-10-01
Location : Bangkok

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by George Carlin Tue 03 Aug 2021, 11:04 am

R!skysports wrote:I think we are getting into the dangerous area of players are getting better and better by not playing

When Williams came on during the first test, he also missed catches.

The Murray kicks may have been in the right area, but they were so slow that the defence could flood the area.

Unless we change to point of attack at some point, it does not matter who you have on, it is an impossible job

Either we try and mix it up and actually use the strong runners (as well as tactical kicking), or we lose - simple

I would put Williams in instead of VDM and change Murray for Price. Keep Bigger, but allow him to play

(and have either Russel or Smith as a replacement on the bench)

I agree - according to some people here, having Liam Williams and Josh Adams would have comfortably won us the second test despite the fact that our main problems seems to have been a lack of possession and control. I'm afraid that's not true. I would lose VdM for Williams but I don't believe any of the back 3 options can offer what Hogg can. Anthony Watson was also surprisingly shaky despite himself playing a number of times at full back.

Unless we can vary our attack, we are sunk and that's the truth of it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15103
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 03 Aug 2021, 11:12 am

There's a big difference between coming on during the second half when the team has lost control and starting, would the Lions have won if Adams and Williams were in the back three? Probably not but I cannot see either of them performing as badly under the high ball as the starters did.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by jimbopip Tue 03 Aug 2021, 11:34 am

Sometimes i wonder if we, that is the posters on here, are as intelligent a collective as we like to think we are. picard

Dan Biggar is not a bad 10. there are aspects of the way he conducts himself on a rugby field which make me feel like I have put my genitals into a cheese grater...but he is NOT a bad fly half. However, last Saturday he ran the ball twice for a combined gain of 0 yards. Yes, 0 yards. None. Not one yard. He also made three passes all game. Obviously, in the grand Germanic tradition, he was only following orders. In fact if it had been NoArms starting I am sure the figures would have been almost identical. I think any criticism of numbers 11-15 has to be framed by the knowledge that they were being asked to play without the ball.

Also, catching the ball is often not as simple as ....well, catching a ball. Shocked If you know that the opposition 9&10 are going to put everything up in the air you flood the area they will kick to. This means lots of blockers slowing down the chasers and/or surrounding your receiver and making it as awkward as possible for the attacker to get to the ball. Similarly, a good attacking kick is as much about getting lots of people into the area where the ball is landing in order to hamper the receiver as much as possible. Not necessarily by jumping and competing for the ball: just standing between him and where the ball will land is often good enough. So, oftentimes the difference between your back three having a great game in terms of the aerial contest and having a shocker is what the rest of your team do.

I have said earlier that there needs to be a different plan of attack this week. If we change everything behind 10 and keep the same tactics we will lose. We will be beaten like a dozen eggs on Shrove Tuesday.

Somewhere in Gats' mind is the awful realisation that losing the series is not the worst thing that can happen. Graham Henry described the second Test as "a hard watch". If Saturday is another "hard watch" and we win Gats won't care. If it's another "hard watch" and we lose then it's a double loss for the Waikato Wonder. A series defeat and a coach who did nothing/learned nothing after the first two matches. Maybe that will spur him on to make the brave choices.




jimbopip

Posts : 6044
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

flyhalffactory and George Carlin like this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:03 pm

15. Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) #833

14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby, Wales) #836

13. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824

12. Bundee Aki (Connacht Rugby, Ireland) #837

11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841

10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821

9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843

1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842

2. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818

4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825

5. Alun Wyn Jones – captain (Ospreys, Wales) #761

6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826

7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853

8. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839

Replacements:

16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851

17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787

18. *Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814 – subject to outcome of disciplinary hearing.

19. Adam Beard (Ospreys, Wales) #852

20. Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, England) #849

21. Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790

22. Finn Russell (Racing 92, Scotland) #835

23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822

Collapse2005

Posts : 5506
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:07 pm

Pretty harsh on Beirne and Watson but good team anyway. Kyle Sinkler stunk when he came on last Saturday hoping for better from him.

Good to see Williams, Adams and Aki in the mix.


Collapse2005

Posts : 5506
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Duty281 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:07 pm

Some bold changes there. Agree with a few, disagree with others. Won't amount to much if the Lions remain as one-dimensional as they were on Saturday.

Duty281

Posts : 25915
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 26
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by lostinwales Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm

Mish fans are going to lose it. (Faletau fans too)

To be honest I am surprised that Simmonds made it, as he's not actually any bigger than Watson and is therefore liable to suffer the same problems Watson did. Still Simmonds can play across the back row.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 11348
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:11 pm

Watson has been really unlucky, one of the best players on tour. Beirne likewise.

Collapse2005

Posts : 5506
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by RiscaGame Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm

Initial thoughts are, I consider Owens lucky to not be replaced by George and am a little surprised he is starting.

I had a feeling that Aki would start. I am not surprised Adams and Williams are in, it was just a question of which two of the back three missed out.

Keeping everything crossed this week, that Wyn Jones is able to play.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4671
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by sensisball Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:15 pm

Aki and Henshaw makes sense although tough on Harris. DVDM a bit lucky to be retained.
Hopefully when Finn comes on he can bring the big winger into the game a bit more than we saw last week.
Wyn Jones better be fully fit, don't fancy Mako on the field for for than 25 minutes or so.
Will Simmonds have the platform to highlight his dynamic  game when he comes on?


Last edited by sensisball on Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensisball

Posts : 677
Join date : 2011-02-17
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:16 pm

Its a better looking team for me, with something on the bench to make a real impact this time.

Good to see a proper second row sub this time, it is a lot to ask any second row to go 80 mins three times in three weeks.

We have some real pace to come on with Simmonds and a real playmaker with Russell.

This is more like the team I would have liked to be playing from the first test, I just hope it is not to late.

If we can stay in the game, then maybe we have a chance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11976
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:17 pm

I was speaking to a couple of my SA managers in the office in 2019 after the WC victory, they said they targeted the breakdown because they create 9-10% of tries from it. Looking at our potential Lions (I said it before the Lions squad was selected to get on the plane and I haven't deviated because we are still in the same position) we needed to win the breakdown (turnovers, rucks and especially the mauls) and the aerial, before we can create a platform for the backs.

We did ok in the 1st 40 mins but we weren't that brilliant as some seem to allude to. Reference the forwards we had a 100% tackle efficiency which was pleasing but its not going to win you the game, unfortunately Gats went with a defensive and offensive lock unit instead of right/left and whilst it was no surprise AWJ completed (the defensive) 15 tackles to Itojes 5, what was worrying he carried 8 times to Itojes 4 and made 7 metres to Itojes 2, Itoje was there to be dominant on the front foot, to compete at the breakdown and win the aerial battle.
So......insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
I'd doubt very much if Gats will change the engine room or BR or even bring in Hamish, whilst SA will probably strengthen their pack at least
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Posts : 3297
Join date : 2011-02-11

flyhalffactory and mikey_dragon like this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:18 pm

Has Sinklair been cleared to play yet?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11976
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:18 pm

I thought the 3rd test was going to be picked at 2pm
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Posts : 3297
Join date : 2011-02-11

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by The Oracle Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:20 pm

BigGee wrote:Has Sinklair been cleared to play yet?

Not yet, still waiting to here the outcome of Syncleur’s hearing.
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 3824
Join date : 2018-01-16

Rugby Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:24 pm

Love the Sheriff but seriously George is not even on the bench
The two best jackalling BRFs and the best in the 6Ns Beirne and Watson, the best BRF over the ball Beirne not even in the 23, we lost 8 TOs and won 2

OK. Poor selection but lets get behind them
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Posts : 3297
Join date : 2011-02-11

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by R!skysports Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:29 pm

Seems a little like panic to me.

Not sure what our plan is.

The pack is mostly the same and was comprehensively out played and out muscled last week.

Players not played together

DVM still in *unless they plan to use him

Watson not on the bench?

really has been a poor tour for us so far

Lets hope we can play and win

R!skysports

Posts : 3634
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:35 pm

Bit of a disappointing team that. Not sure sticking with Lawes and Jones is going to suddenly change the impact at the breakdown. At least we've got a lock on the bench to come on and the hope of Russell. By then it may just have got to the stage of throw the ball and hope.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by lostinwales Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:39 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:I was speaking to a couple of my SA managers in the office in 2019 after the WC victory, they said they targeted the breakdown because they create 9-10% of tries from it. Looking at our potential Lions (I said it before the Lions squad was selected to get on the plane and I haven't deviated because we are still in the same position) we needed to win the breakdown (turnovers, rucks and especially the mauls) and the aerial, before we can create a platform for the backs.

We did ok in the 1st 40 mins but we weren't that brilliant as some seem to allude to. Reference the forwards we had a 100% tackle efficiency which was pleasing but its not going to win you the game, unfortunately Gats went with a defensive and offensive lock unit instead of right/left and whilst it was no surprise AWJ completed (the defensive) 15 tackles to Itojes 5, what was worrying he carried 8 times to Itojes 4 and made 7 metres to Itojes 2, Itoje was there to be dominant on the front foot, to compete at the breakdown and win the aerial battle.
So......insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
I'd doubt very much if Gats will change the engine room or BR or even bring in Hamish, whilst SA will probably strengthen their pack at least

Surprised you didn't mention that Itoje didn't make a single break down the left wing and failed to take any penalty kicks.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 11348
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:40 pm

I don't have a clue which way we want to play, so it's hard to have any strong objections to the squad.

This is the first time we've had an out-and-out second row on the bench. Assuming no injuries, that means Beard coming on for AWJ or Itoje. Rather than go off, Itoje could switch to the flank, which Lawes will surely have noticed.

Alternatively, we could see something weird, where Itoje switches to seven, in an attempt to put have four large lumps on the field for 10 minutes or so. Perhaps to try and stabilize things if our set piece is a shambles.

Having both Russell, Simmons and Daly on the bench smacks a bit of hoping for a miracle "try from the end of the world" if we are behind.


Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6595
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:40 pm

I would have picked Beirne ahead of Lawes too

Collapse2005

Posts : 5506
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by lostinwales Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:41 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:I don't have a clue which way we want to play, so it's hard to have any strong objections to the squad.

This is the first time we've had an out-and-out second row on the bench. Assuming no injuries, that means Beard coming on for AWJ or Itoje. Rather than go off, Itoje could switch to the flank, which Lawes will surely have noticed.

Alternatively, we could see something weird, where Itoje switches to seven, in an attempt to put have four large lumps on the field for 10 minutes or so. Perhaps to try and stabilize things if our set piece is a shambles.

Having both Russell, Simmons and Daly on the bench smacks a bit of hoping for a miracle "try from the end of the world" if we are behind.


Almost certainly I'd expect Itoje to go to 6 if/when Beard comes on.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 11348
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by RiscaGame Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:43 pm

Strong 12. Big winger. We are going full on Warrenball, this weekend.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4671
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by RiscaGame Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:45 pm

Sinckler's hearing started at 9 and still no news. Mad.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4671
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:45 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Bit of a disappointing team that. Not sure sticking with Lawes and Jones is going to suddenly change the impact at the breakdown. At least we've got a lock on the bench to come on and the hope of Russell. By then it may just have got to the stage of throw the ball and hope.

I agree, but AWJ is not selected there to compete at the breakdown primarily he is there to defend the line, not dominate the set-piece and loose.

My worry is if PSDT and some of the recent additions are fit to get in the SA 23, I feel that SA wasn't 100% match fit and coming into the 3rd test they are going to me bang on the money
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Posts : 3297
Join date : 2011-02-11

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by BamBam Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:49 pm

I am glad we’ve selected a captain who isn’t expected to do anything in the set piece or the loose

BamBam

Posts : 16938
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by R!skysports Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:50 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Strong 12. Big winger. We are going full on Warrenball, this weekend.

Not really a surprise. One of the most unaspiring coaches around, who Warrenball is the only tactic he has. Works against teams that he can physically bully, but struggles with any other team. Sadly this is what we knew would happen, but we were given hope when he selected the first test side to have some pace, only to have them play vertical warrenball. Then the second test, slowed it down even more and after two of the worst matches the Lions have had (taking 2005 away), we are now in panic mode. Well lets hope he allows the players to play some rugby and we might have a chance....

R!skysports

Posts : 3634
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:54 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Sinckler's hearing started at 9 and still no news. Mad.

Takes a while to go through it all doesn't it. As long as he denies anything can't see anything coming of it as there's nothing to see on the video.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by bsando Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:54 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Sinckler's hearing started at 9 and still no news. Mad.

Fagerson coming into the 23 would make an impact for the Lions if Sinkler does miss out. I’m sure he’ll bring his offloading game and be desperate to prove a point after being left out so far.

bsando

Posts : 3485
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 32
Location : London

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:55 pm

BamBam wrote:I am glad we’ve selected a captain who isn’t expected to do anything in the set piece or the loose

At least he's making sure the game doesn't go south through the shear force of his leadership.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:56 pm

bsando wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Sinckler's hearing started at 9 and still no news. Mad.

Fagerson coming into the 23 would make an impact for the Lions if Sinkler does miss out. I’m sure he’ll bring his offloading game and be desperate to prove a point after being left out so far.

I do like Ferguson.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by R!skysports Tue 03 Aug 2021, 12:56 pm

BamBam wrote:I am glad we’ve selected a captain who isn’t expected to do anything in the set piece or the loose

Well he is there to manage the ref....oh, that went well at the weekend lol

Although I think he still is a class player

R!skysports

Posts : 3634
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by protea438 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:02 pm


Springbok team to face the British & Irish Lions:
15 – Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz) – 64 caps, 60 pts (12t)
14 – Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse) – 16 caps, 40 pts (8t)
13 – Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks) – 17 caps, 20 pts (4t)
12 – Damian de Allende (Munster) – 49 caps, 30 pts (6t)
11 – Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks) – 16 caps, 75 pts (15t)
10 – Handré Pollard (vice-captain, Montpellier) – 51 caps, 494 pts (6t, 79c, 98p, 4d)
9 – Cobus Reinach (Montpellier) – 15 caps, 35pts (7t)
8 – Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers) – 2 caps, 0 pts
7 – Franco Mostert (Honda Heat) – 42 caps, 5pts (1t)
6 – Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks) – 53 caps, 30 pts (6t)
5 – Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks) – 47 caps, 25 pts (5t)
4 – Eben Etzebeth (Toulon) – 88 caps, 15 pts (3t)
3 – Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers) – 41 caps, 5pts (1t)
2 – Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers) – 39 caps, 40 pts (8t)
1 – Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers) – 50 caps, 5pts (1t)

Replacements:
16 – Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears) – 36 caps, 30 pts (6t)
17 – Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls) – 45 caps, 5 pts (1t)
18 – Vincent Koch (Saracens) – 22 caps, 0 pts
19 – Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls) – 4 caps, 0 pts
20 – Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo) – 9 caps, 5 pts (1t)
21 – Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers) – 13 caps, 25 pts (5t)
22 – Morné Steyn (Vodacom Bulls) – 66 caps, 736 points (8t, 102c, 154p, 10d)
23 – Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers) – 9 caps, 5pts (1t)

protea438

Posts : 142
Join date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:03 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Sinckler's hearing started at 9 and still no news. Mad.

Takes a while to go through it all doesn't it. As long as he denies anything can't see anything coming of it as there's nothing to see on the video.


Someone must have seen something, or else he would not have been cited in the first place. They have access to a lot more angels than we have.

I would be looking to see if there is any physical evidence of a bite as a starting point.

This will be a very nervous time for Sinklair, not only potentially missing the test, but his whole reputation on the line!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11976
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Oakdene Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:05 pm

Sorry am I reading that right? Mostert at 7?

Oakdene

Posts : 243
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:05 pm

BigGee wrote:...They have access to a lot more angels than we have...
Not sure how this helps


Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6595
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Heaf Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:06 pm

Any more from the accusation against Hogg?

Heaf

Posts : 4007
Join date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:06 pm

BigGee wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Sinckler's hearing started at 9 and still no news. Mad.

Takes a while to go through it all doesn't it. As long as he denies anything can't see anything coming of it as there's nothing to see on the video.


Someone must have seen something, or else he would not have been cited in the first place. They have access to a lot more angels than we have.

I would be looking to see if there is any physical evidence of a bite as a starting point.

This will be a very nervous time for Sinklair, not only potentially missing the test, but his whole reputation on the line!

Denial is always the best option no matter what. The citing officers must have been searching ages as they completely forgot to check the guys in green.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:06 pm

No PSDT, Faf or Vermulean for the Boks, who have also gone for a 5:3 bench this time.

Steyn brought in in case they need a game closer out themselves!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11976
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa vs British and Irish Lions 7th August

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum