The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland 2021/22

2 posters

Go down

Ireland 2021/22 Empty Ireland 2021/22

Post by profitius Tue 05 Oct 2021, 2:15 pm

The squad will be named in about 4 weeks time so that should give players the chance to play their way in or out of the squad.

I think this season will see a number of players breaking into the squad or forcing their way up the pecking order. A few that spring to mind are Dan Sheehan, Hume, Coombes, Casey, Harry Byrne..

Porter to loosehead gives that position a boost although Furlong becomes even more important.
Sheehan has looked very good. Darts seem good and he's good around the pitch.

Doris, Conan and Coombes battling for 6 and 8. Good options. Can Leave get back to near his best.

Casey is pushing hard and there's also the emergence of Doak. All of a sudden a traditional problem position is looking strong.

Carbery has been very poor in the first 2 games. He has to get a grip. Harry Byrne is the hot new talent but I don't think the man can stay fit. Ben Healy could be in with a shout.

I'd have Hume ahead of Ringrose now. Henshaw leading the 12s.

Options in the outside backs also but nearly every option has a question mark around them. Lowes defence, Stockdale errors, Earls' age etc. I think Keenan is first choice 15.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Ireland 2021/22 Empty Re: Ireland 2021/22

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 07 Oct 2021, 11:29 am

We have options in the pack, both young and old, finding the right balance will be crucial. Coombes should be one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment IMO but there's certainly more than enough competition for places.
I do like the thought of a Hume/Henshaw centre partnership. Both players bring bags of physicality but more importantly they're both very skillful and intelligent ball players.
We've got talented 9's, the ones with the most talent haven't got the experience though. Will they stand a chance? Will Casey rise to power? Will Cooney ever get a look-in?
I've never understood the hype surrounding Carberry, I don't see the sparkle that others do but we're slim on 10's. Sexton can't tread water for us much longer but nobody has stood out, raised their head above the parapet or even come close to stealing Johnny's shirt.
Outside back options are pretty healthy. Stockdale will come good again, Lowe will work on his defence and the likes of Addison, Baloucoune, Larmour, Daly and Conway will continue to push for the shirts.

Can Farrell make these amazing ingredients into a Michelin Star winning dish?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 07 Oct 2021, 1:52 pm

Pete, I think it's a big season for Farrell. Will he be brave and continue with playing a fast tempo game or will he revert back to the safe, percentage rugby. I think the England win and summer matches should give him a bit of confidence.

I don't see Cooney getting called it at all. It was hinted that there's a personality clash with Sexton.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Today at 2:50 pm

Squad will be named on Wednesday. Sexton has a hip injury and Addison has a long term injury. Some things never change. Good luck to Addison.

Dan Sheehan looks a certainty to be included.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum