The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

+20
msp83
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
James100
dummy_half
KP_fan
Gooseberry
Afro
Pal Joey
VTR
Soul Requiem
king_carlos
GSC
alfie
Mind the windows Tino.
Duty281
sirfredperry
guildfordbat
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
24 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 9 Empty Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Oct 2021, 9:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd start a new thread for the winter cricket of 2021 that we (covid depending) have ahead of us. Obviously the World T20, but that has it's own thread...

The main event being the Ashes, with the dates below

Men's Ashes schedule
First Test: 8-12 December - Gabba, Brisbane (00:00 GMT)
Second Test: 16-20 December - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (d/n - 04:00 GMT)
Third Test: 26-30 December - MCG, Melbourne (23:30 GMT, 25 December)
Fourth Test: 5-9 January - SCG, Sydney (23:30 GMT, 4 January)
Fifth Test: 14-18 January - Optus Stadium, Perth (02:30 GMT) (subject to change)

Women's Ashes schedule
Test: 27-30 January - Manuka Oval, Canberra (23:00 GMT, 26 January)
First T20: 4 February - North Sydney Oval, Sydney (08:10 GMT)
Second T20: 6 February - North Sydney Oval, Sydney (08:10 GMT)
Third T20: 10 February - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (08:10 GMT)
First ODl: 13 February - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (23:05 GMT, 12 February)
Second ODl: 16 February - Junction Oval, Melbourne (23:05 GMT, 15 February)
Third ODI: 19 February - Junction Oval, Melbourne (23:05 GMT, 18 February)

India have a busy winter, with New Zealand touring in November/December and then India head to South Africa for the boxing day test/January.
There's an interesting test series between Bangladesh and Pakistan in Bangladesh in Nov/Dec, which should be an entertaining watch. Unfortunately I don't see much cricket on the schedule for Pakistan/Sri Lanka (unless I am missing something!)
A few others on the future tours programme, but not confirmed yet as far as I see...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Dec 2021, 1:18 pm

Wonder if Root's performance this year can be considered the best ever by an England batsman in a calendar year.

OK, he's had a lot of innings. But consider the facts. 15 of his innings have been against India and he's also had to face New Zealand.

Also, his runs have been made often in adversity and as part of a poor batting line up. Invariably, it seems, he's coming in at 10 for two. It was noticeable that he was at his most fluent at Leeds in the summer when he strode out with England well ahead and in a good position.

It could be argued that he has been surrounded by one of the poorest and least-experienced batting line-ups England have produced.

So to have had the year he's having/had is remarkable.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

Post by KP_fan Fri 10 Dec 2021, 1:28 pm

Woke up pleasantly surprised to see a Fight back.
Eng has brought a win into the equation for themselves...but if they do go on to win it would be of the proportion as Indian win in Adelaide in 2003-04

Bowlers down or not 100% on both sides probably evens available resources.
I am tempted to put money on an Eng win with an 8 times return Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 9 1f61b

Happy to see my pick Malan deliver.......Hameed's 20s are worth more as he seems the shine off
Wonder why law of averages ain't catching up with Root Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 9 2753
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Dec 2021, 2:19 pm

Brilliant application from Root and Malan to enable us to genuinely start believing of brighter things, of hope and optimism. Malan was good in the main, though maybe slightly fortunate to make it to stumps, and Root was as stupendous and unbeatable as his usual 2021 form. Wouldn't have been possible without Hameed's solid contribution which softened the new ball and is of critical importance in Australia. He may not be getting many runs, but his contribution cannot be understated.

I felt Cummins under-bowled himself, but Root and Malan managed him well. Starc's had a poor test, his radar is misfiring, he serves up too many boundary balls and can't implement pressure, although his short ball plan did have Malan in some trouble. Hazlewood being injured, presumably, is terrible news for Australia and a welcome bit of fortune for England - fair to say England would likely be more than two down if Hazlewood could have sent down another ten overs. Lyon couldn't lay a glove on Root, but he enjoyed bowling to Malan even if it was without success. Green is a control bowler, like de Grandhomme, not a prime wicket-taking option and it showed.

At the very least, England have fought back commendably and forced Australia to be in the field for a gruelling day in 30 degree heat. The morning session will probably decide whether England have a real chance of winning this test, or if Australia will still canter to victory. There's ten overs to the new ball, Root and Malan have to make it there unscathed. If they do and if England can then make it through to lunch having only lost one, or even none, they will be in a fantastic position to push on in the afternoon and evening to a winning position against a tired, demoralised Australian attack and a softening ball, with Stokes, Pope and Buttler primed and ready to take the attack to them.

Of course the more likely scenario, for now, is that Australia do serious damage with the new ball and England are five down or more at lunch and facing imminent defeat, although not an innings one. A lot could depend on if Hazlewood can bowl tomorrow. If he can't then Australia are in a spot of bother.

It should be another good batting day tomorrow with more blazing sunshine, but on the potential day five there's plenty of cloud and a possibility of some light rain, which is good news if England are defending a 200+ target.

At the moment the test seems to be shaping up like the first Sri Lanka v England test from last January. Sri Lanka were bowled out for 135, England replied with 421, and in the third innings Sri Lanka were 210/3 at one point and threatening a famous comeback, before they lost centurion Thirimanne to the second new ball and they ended up being bowled out for 359, England getting home fairly comfortably in the end.

May be a similar outcome here, but at least England haven't gone down cheaply.

No snicko for this test is disappointing, I wonder if Malan did get a slight touch, but apparently it will be business as usual for test two.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 3:26 pm

KP_fan wrote:Woke up pleasantly surprised to see a Fight back.
Eng has brought a win into the equation for themselves...but if they do go on to win it would be of the proportion as Indian win in Adelaide in 2003-04

I am tempted to put money on an Eng win with an 8 times return Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 9 1f61b

Happy to see my pick Malan deliver.......Hameed's 20s are worth more as he seems the shine off
Wonder why law of averages ain't catching up with Root Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 9 2753
Root averages 50 in Test cricket so given he got nought in the 1st innings the law of averages would suggest a ton in the 2nd innings...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 3:29 pm

Duty281 wrote:At the moment the test seems to be shaping up like the first Sri Lanka v England test from last January. Sri Lanka were bowled out for 135, England replied with 421, and in the third innings Sri Lanka were 210/3 at one point and threatening a famous comeback, before they lost centurion Thirimanne to the second new ball and they ended up being bowled out for 359, England getting home fairly comfortably in the end.
That sort of outcome is my concern as well.

The morning session should be very tricky from start to finish. Restarting a partnership the next day is always tough and then the new ball in this game has made the pitch play very differently for 25 overs. It's all about how many England have in hand going into the afternoon.

A tantalising poised Test match. It's the hope that kills you...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 10 Dec 2021, 3:48 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Wonder if Root's performance this year can be considered the best ever by an England batsman in a calendar year.

OK, he's had a lot of innings. But consider the facts. 15 of his innings  have been against India and he's also had to face New Zealand.

Also, his runs have been made often in adversity and as part of a poor batting line up. Invariably, it seems, he's coming in at 10 for two. It was noticeable that he was at his most fluent at Leeds in the summer when he strode out with England well ahead and in a good position.

It could be argued that he has been surrounded by one of the poorest and least-experienced batting line-ups England have produced.

This century i'd probably go;

Root 2021- 1541 @ 67
Trott 2010- 1325 @ 66.25
Vaughan 2002- 1481 @ 61.7
Cook 2010- 1287 @ 58.5
Thorpe 2004- 941 @ 73.15
Trescothick 2005- 1323 @ 55.12 (His importance opening in the ashes cannot be overstated)
Ian Bell 2011- 950 @ 118.75 (That average is correct)
Strauss 2004- 971 @ 60.68

Interestingly Pietersen doesn't have any single year that stands out, his level of overall consistency is only matched by Root.

Soul Requiem

Duty281 and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Dec 2021, 3:59 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Wonder if Root's performance this year can be considered the best ever by an England batsman in a calendar year.

OK, he's had a lot of innings. But consider the facts. 15 of his innings  have been against India and he's also had to face New Zealand.

It certainly should go down in the record books alongside other great English batting years for sure - potentially will have scored hundreds in four different countries, in pretty much all different cricketing conditions you will get (god I hope he does get there today!).

You point out the context of him being surrounded by a quite frankly poor lineup and the increased expectations on him to carry the batting...he's also come in some sticky situations when he's made these runs;

228 (321) in the 1st test in Sri Lanka, first innings - he came out with England 17-2 off 8.4 overs, in reply to 135 all out and led England to 421 all out (second highest score in the innings was 73 by Lawrence)

186 (309) in the 2nd test in Sri Lanka, first innings - he came out with England 5-2 off 7.1 overs, in reply to 381 all out and led England to 344 all out (second highest score in the innings was 55 by Buttler)

218 (377) in the 1st test in India, first innings - he came out with England 63-2 off 25.4 overs, and led them to 578 all out (second highest score in the innings was 87 by Sibley)

India then called in the pitch doctors pretty much because Root was single handedly going to win/keep England in the series with the form he was in

Didn't make a ton in the two test vs NZ at home

109 (172) in the 1st test vs India, second innings - he came out with a deficit of 49 at 46-2 off 17 overs in England's second innings, led them to 303 all out (second highest score in the innings was 32 by Sam Curran)

180* (321) in the 2nd test vs India, first innings - he came out with England 23-2 off 14.3 overs in reply to 364 all out and led England to 391 all out (second highest score in the innings was 57 by Bairstow)

121 (165) in the 3rd test vs India, first innings - he came out with England 159-2 off 63 overs in reply to 78 all out, and led England to 432 all out (second highest score in the innings was 70 by Malan)

So it is literally just that final hundred against India at home, where he came in, in what I would say was a "good" situation for England.
He's made at *least* 50 more runs than the next highest scorer in all innings too (closest was Malan's 70, 51 runs behind Root's 121) and has averaged a frankly ludicrous 111 more runs than the 2nd highest scorer in each innings he's made a century so far (668 more runs cumulative in those 6 innings).

He's done alright hasn't he
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Dec 2021, 4:00 pm

I'm assuming that Ian Bell year is the year that he got his double hundred against India? And would have started with the tailend of an Ashes tour as well I assume based on the year
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 10 Dec 2021, 4:19 pm

king_carlos wrote:Michael Neser has absolutely destroyed the Lions as well to sum up that we don't really have much to bring in to improve the batting.

I love the strangely club cricket feeling of having a second string series running side by side. It's like Ashes 1s and 2s are playing on the same weekend.

"You playing against England at the weekend mate?"
"Yea, but I'm in the 2s this week"

Laugh clap

Many years ago my local club had a more than decent quick bowler. However, he worked Saturday mornings which meant he could get to our nearby ground for the afternoon start but didn't have enough time for travelling to the away games. Consequently, one summer he played at home every Saturday alternating each week between the firsts and the seconds. I think the stiffs won every home game that year! Rolling Eyes Probably just as well for everyone that he then left the area and the club.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 10 Dec 2021, 4:32 pm

Afro wrote:I'm assuming that Ian Bell year is the year that he got his double hundred against India? And would have started with the tailend of an Ashes tour as well I assume based on the year

Sri Lanka and India at home, fair to say he took a liking to the bowling served up to him. Four centuries including that double and two fifties in seven matches that summer, I understand the criticism of him to an extent when he was capable of being that damn good, they're numbers that make Steve Smith take notice. Across 2010 and 2011 I don't think an English batsmen has ever been more dominant.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 5:06 pm

Trescothick was one of my heroes growing up. As an overly aggressive opening batsman with terrible footwork he was god. Sadly, I was not so trying to copy his aggression ended abysmally.

I do think that Strauss is frequently overlooked with the 2005 Ashes in mind though. He was the only player from either side in the series to score 2 tons. At the Oval in particular KP deservedly gets so many plaudits for such an iconic 2nd innings ton but without Strauss in the 1st innings England are rolled there.

Tres - 431 runs @ 43.1, SR of 60.27, 3 fifties, no tons

Strauss - 393 @ 39.3, SR of 57.79, no fifties, 2 tons

Very similar averages, SR and run totals with Strauss scoring the centuries. Both made absolutely key contribution no doubt but I do feel that Strauss is sometimes overlooked for the aggression he also showed up top.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 5:11 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Michael Neser has absolutely destroyed the Lions as well to sum up that we don't really have much to bring in to improve the batting.

I love the strangely club cricket feeling of having a second string series running side by side. It's like Ashes 1s and 2s are playing on the same weekend.

"You playing against England at the weekend mate?"
"Yea, but I'm in the 2s this week"

Laugh clap

Many years ago my local club had a more than decent quick bowler. However, he worked Saturday mornings which meant he could get to our nearby ground for the afternoon start but didn't have enough time for travelling to the away games. Consequently, one summer he played at home every Saturday alternating each week between the firsts and the seconds. I think the stiffs won every home game that year! Rolling Eyes Probably just as well for everyone that he then left the area and the club.
Playing club cricket in Scotland this year there was a similar story with another a clubs player who can't make a lot of away games so sometimes plays 2s. He's a former professional squash player who's footwork can be rudimentary but his hand eye coordination, wrists, hand speed, etc are incredible. I'd say some of his hitting is the most impressive I've seen from behind the stumps since watching Bairstow destroy my teammates a few times at schools and club level. He averaged about 150 in his games for the 2s last year including massacring our 2nd XI in a game with a small boundary on one side. That ground had a playground across a B road next to the ground and I was honestly scared for the kids in it at points.

king_carlos

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 10 Dec 2021, 5:23 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

It certainly should go down in the record books alongside other great English batting years for sure - potentially will have scored hundreds in four different countries, in pretty much all different cricketing conditions you will get (god I hope he does get there today!).

You point out the context of him being surrounded by a quite frankly poor lineup and the increased expectations on him to carry the batting...he's also come in some sticky situations when he's made these runs;

228 (321) in the 1st test in Sri Lanka, first innings - he came out with England 17-2 off 8.4 overs, in reply to 135 all out and led England to 421 all out (second highest score in the innings was 73 by Lawrence)

186 (309) in the 2nd test in Sri Lanka, first innings - he came out with England 5-2 off 7.1 overs, in reply to 381 all out and led England to 344 all out (second highest score in the innings was 55 by Buttler)

218 (377) in the 1st test in India, first innings - he came out with England 63-2 off 25.4 overs, and led them to 578 all out (second highest score in the innings was 87 by Sibley)

India then called in the pitch doctors pretty much because Root was single handedly going to win/keep England in the series with the form he was in

Didn't make a ton in the two test vs NZ at home

109 (172) in the 1st test vs India, second innings - he came out with a deficit of 49 at 46-2 off 17 overs in England's second innings, led them to 303 all out (second highest score in the innings was 32 by Sam Curran)

180* (321) in the 2nd test vs India, first innings - he came out with England 23-2 off 14.3 overs in reply to 364 all out and led England to 391 all out (second highest score in the innings was 57 by Bairstow)

121 (165) in the 3rd test vs India, first innings - he came out with England 159-2 off 63 overs in reply to 78 all out, and led England to 432 all out (second highest score in the innings was 70 by Malan)

So it is literally just that final hundred against India at home, where he came in, in what I would say was a "good" situation for England.
He's made at *least* 50 more runs than the next highest scorer in all innings too (closest was Malan's 70, 51 runs behind Root's 121) and has averaged a frankly ludicrous 111 more runs than the 2nd highest scorer in each innings he's made a century so far (668 more runs cumulative in those 6 innings).

He's done alright hasn't he

Is cricinfos "Polite Enquiries" cribbing off here or vice versa? Either way dont forget that Root is pathetic and a coward and will go missing in Australia Whistle

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 10 Dec 2021, 7:14 pm

king_carlos wrote:Trescothick was one of my heroes growing up. As an overly aggressive opening batsman with terrible footwork he was god. Sadly, I was not so trying to copy his aggression ended abysmally.

I do think that Strauss is frequently overlooked with the 2005 Ashes in mind though. He was the only player from either side in the series to score 2 tons. At the Oval in particular KP deservedly gets so many plaudits for such an iconic 2nd innings ton but without Strauss in the 1st innings England are rolled there.

Very similar averages, SR and run totals with Strauss scoring the centuries. Both made absolutely key contribution no doubt but I do feel that Strauss is sometimes overlooked for the aggression he also showed up top.

Those strike rates are mightily impressive. I do wonder how that series will be remembered in years to come because average wise no batsman stood out but the overall quality of the bowling was brilliant. Goes to show how statistics can lie.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 7:58 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Trescothick was one of my heroes growing up. As an overly aggressive opening batsman with terrible footwork he was god. Sadly, I was not so trying to copy his aggression ended abysmally.

Those strike rates are mightily impressive. I do wonder how that series will be remembered in years to come because average wise no batsman stood out but the overall quality of the bowling was brilliant. Goes to show how statistics can lie.
As is often the case with great series I think both sides having flaws actually led to it being so entertaining. Once McGrath went down the Aussies had one prominent seamer/quick in Lee but Warne was superlative. England on the other hand had 4 very high performing seamers/quicks but Giles 'doing a job' as spinner. Contrasting attacks which made it so fun.

England's middle order weren't without issue either. By then I think Vaughan's defensive issues (could get pinned to the crease and lose his shape early) had been identified leading to him being a bit of a feast or famine player. Bell was embryonic. Geraint Jones is deservedly fondly remembered for that series but did average 23 in Test cricket!

KP was also much more slap dash early on than later in his career when he actually developed a sometimes overlooked ability to go up and down the gears as the situations demanded. Sometimes he got it wrong still of course but without those risks you don't get innings such as SA at Headingley which was just spectacular.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 10 Dec 2021, 8:52 pm

king_carlos wrote:

Root averages 50 in Test cricket so given he got nought in the 1st innings the law of averages would suggest a ton in the 2nd innings...

Right Root averages 50 in test cricket
His last 1541 runs have come at @ average 67
to me by law of averages means his next 1500 runs would come at average 33 or so

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Dec 2021, 9:03 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Duty281 wrote:At the moment the test seems to be shaping up like the first Sri Lanka v England test from last January. Sri Lanka were bowled out for 135, England replied with 421, and in the third innings Sri Lanka were 210/3 at one point and threatening a famous comeback, before they lost centurion Thirimanne to the second new ball and they ended up being bowled out for 359, England getting home fairly comfortably in the end.

The morning session should be very tricky from start to finish. Restarting a partnership the next day is always tough and then the new ball in this game has made the pitch play very differently for 25 overs. It's all about how many England have in hand going into the afternoon.

Yes, the hope is the worst bit. Yesterday we were resigned to an England defeat, today we have some belief that England can escape.

Apparently only once in test history has a side lost after getting a first innings lead of 278 or more - that was Sri Lanka when they lost to Australia in 1992 despite amassing a first innings lead of 291. Australia came back with 471 in the third innings, despite not one player making more than 68, and a young Shane Warne cleaned up the tail to take Australia to a 16-run win.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-sri-lanka-1992-61415/sri-lanka-vs-australia-1st-test-63580/full-scorecard

Last edited by Duty281 on Fri 10 Dec 2021, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 10 Dec 2021, 9:09 pm

Duty281 wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Yes, the hope is the worst bit. Yesterday we were resigned to an England defeat, today we have some belief that England can escape.

Apparently only once in test history has a side lost after conceding a first innings lead of 278 or more - that was Sri Lanka when they lost to Australia in 1992 despite amassing a first innings lead of 291. Australia came back with 471 in the third innings, despite not one player making more than 68, and a young Shane Warne cleaned up the tail to take Australia to a 16-run win.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-sri-lanka-1992-61415/sri-lanka-vs-australia-1st-test-63580/full-scorecard

Although the last time an Aussie out scored England on his own in the first innings, like Head did here, was Headingley 2019…

JDizzle

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 9:09 pm

KP_fan wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

His last 1541 runs have come at  @ average 67
to me by law of averages means his next 1500 runs would come at average 33 or so

He's batting better than I've ever seen him would be the caveat there. He was averaging high forties, made some technical changes and has become markedly better than the batsman he was despite already having an already excellent record.

If England can actually allow him chances to come in after 20 overs have been bowled as a number 4 should (feels unlikely to be honest) then I can see Root scoring a lot of runs in this series.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 9:13 pm

It's waiting for days like this to start that feel so horrible.

Root could go on to make a double ton that we look back on as his magnum opus or England could be 8 down at lunch with a lead of 27.

Supporting such a fundamentally flawed side as this England team can be so frustrating but it really does produce some very engrossing cricket. Almost every days play starts with an element of "who knows what the f*** they'll manage this time".

king_carlos

alfie and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 10 Dec 2021, 9:19 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:

Trescothick's 90 at Edgbaston was the crucial innings of that summer for me. Coaches always trot out the cliches of set the tone etc. etc. but if one innings ever did that, it was that 90. He plinked Warne back over his head in the morning sessions which is my favourite cricket shot ever.

I won't ever say that any runs against that Aussie bowling attack were cheap, but Strauss's second innings hundred at OT was about as cheap as they came! Conversely his 100 at the Oval is massively underrated - everyone talks about KPs 158, but England could very easily have been shot out on an absolute road after winning the toss but for that knock from Strauss.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 10 Dec 2021, 9:32 pm

king_carlos wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

His last 1541 runs have come at  @ average 67

He's batting better than I've ever seen him would be the caveat there. He was averaging high forties, made some technical changes and has become markedly better than the batsman he was despite already having an already excellent record.

If England can actually allow him chances to come in after 20 overs have been bowled as a number 4 should (feels unlikely to be honest) then I can see Root scoring a lot of runs in this series.

You seem to be saying ( or Implying) that Root has become an averaging 67 ish batsman for good.
If so good for him & Eng and game of cricket Wink

Top Batsmen Peak around aged 28 to 30ish ....hold that peak average for 2 to 3 more year...and then start declining.....and in the decline at best drop 1 or  2 points below the peak by retirement age...at worst 3 to 4 points
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:15 pm

Fifth Ashes test confirmed to be held in Tasmania and it will be a day-nighter. First time an Ashes test has ever been played in Tasmania.

I'm pleased with that news. Shane Warne won't be.

Duty281

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:45 pm

Well, that was always going to happen wasn't it.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:47 pm

JDizzle wrote:Well, that was always going to happen wasn't it.

Didn’t realise Malan was out yesterday gloving it to Lyon, but nobody appealed! His luck runs out now…*gulp*
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:49 pm

I do think Malan was fortunate to make it that far in his innings. Lyon had a good hold over him, unfortunate not to snare him yesterday, gets him now.

Puts England in bother. Need another big partnership from the two main players.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:50 pm

I've got "That Funny Feeling" by Bo Burnham stuck in my head.

"The quiet comprehending of the ending of it all

There it is again
That funny feeling"

It's not helping.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:56 pm

JDizzle wrote:Well, that was always going to happen wasn't it.

Didn’t realise Malan was out yesterday gloving it to Lyon, but nobody appealed! His luck runs out now…*gulp*

Saw the highlights and was no sign of it! And not seen any mention of it anywhere - weird. Still, at least he took advantage of his lives.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:57 pm

Well, I take total responsibility as I didn’t watch England bat yesterday. I will go to bed.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:57 pm

And that's the game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:57 pm

root leave that dross!!!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:58 pm

And that is all, time for bed
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:01 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:And that is all, time for bed

or open that second bottle of wine RedWine

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:05 am

Oh dear, innings defeat back on the menu. Poor batting from Pope.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:06 am

urgh well this is rubbish

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:06 am

Ollie Pope stop trying to cut spinners challenge. Seriously.

JDizzle

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:06 am

Predictably pathetic, ball is doing nothing so England throw it away for no reason.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:08 am

JDizzle wrote:Ollie Pope stop trying to cut spinners challenge. Seriously.

Well over 18 months now, certainly since the Pakistan series at home, he has been getting out that way. No better than Bairstow getting bowled, it’s just brain dead.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:08 am

JDizzle wrote:Ollie Pope stop trying to cut spinners challenge. Seriously.

Honestly how hasn’t he cottoned onto this yet - you cant play the shot kid, put it away for crying out loud
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:11 am

Oh dear.

No need for Root to play that ball.

Pope really does struggle against spin.

So frustrating.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:13 am

well hopefully these two cut loose and at least entertain us

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:14 am

At what point do we acknowledge that Pope maybe isn't good enough at this level? He's been given ample opportunities but makes the same mistakes.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:19 am

Soul Requiem wrote:At what point do we acknowledge that Pope maybe isn't good enough at this level? He's been given ample opportunities but makes the same mistakes.
As always when suggesting dropping someone you need to ask who the replacement is?

I'd argue Livingstone could be a very good red ball batsman but doesn't play enough red ball cricket.

Bairstow got found out by Test bowlers.

Pope's far from perfect but he's got more talent than others from an extremely bare cupboard. I'd persevere unless others put their hand up.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:19 am

I really do rate Pope. I think he’s a level above Crawley and Lawrence in terms of potential, but someone has to take responsibility for the recurring dismissals at some point for sure - and I would pin a lot of that on the coaching staff. But he gets this series for me and we re-evaluate.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:22 am

Can we pray they get the pictures back but not the sound from Fox? Money well spent by BT though...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:23 am

JDizzle wrote:I really do rate Pope. I think he’s a level above Crawley and Lawrence in terms of potential, but someone has to take responsibility for the recurring dismissals at some point for sure - and I would pin a lot of that on the coaching staff. But he gets this series for me and we re-evaluate.

I'd agree with that. It's massively frustrating as Pope has great potential but keeps making basic mistakes, especially v spin.

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:26 am

JDizzle wrote:Can we pray they get the pictures back but not the sound from Fox? Money well spent by BT though...

This sport really does test your patience doesn’t it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:30 am

At last Hazlewood returning to bowl after a mystery absence.

Apparently Warner's suffering from an injury, but he should be fine for the second test.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:31 am

JDizzle wrote:Can we pray they get the pictures back but not the sound from Fox? Money well spent by BT though...

If an England wicket falls, but no-one can see it does it make a sound?

JDizzle

Pal Joey, alfie and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 Dec 2021, 12:34 am

JDizzle wrote:

If an England wicket falls, but no-one can see it does it make a sound?

Clearly the constant stream of hot garbage emanating from the commentary box the last four days has made itself to the generators
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next