The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

+41
PhilBB
Rugby Fan
Collapse2005
BamBam
ScarletSpiderman
Oakdene
yappysnap
doctor_grey
propdavid_london
WELL-PAST-IT
sensisball
Highland Shaun
Filo8
MichaelT
Heaf
Maine man
Old Man
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
Recwatcher16
Mr Bounce
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pot Hale
Welshmushroom
Sgt_Pooly
profitius
Margin_Walker
Cumbrian
nathan
Poorfour
BigGee
lostinwales
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
Fluxy
Hazel Sapling
No 7&1/2
king_carlos
Geordie
mikey_dragon
formerly known as Sam
45 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 9 Empty SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 18 Jan 2022, 9:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

GeordieFalcon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I think Schoeman has been injured for nearly all his time at Bath. Can play 10 and 15 though.

Chiefs look set to sign Leinster second row Dunne a 6ft8 122kg 21 year old for next season. Hasn't played this season yet due to an ankle injury. Replacement for one of the outgoing internationals it seems.

Just what we need!

At least your youngsters will get lots of game time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 9 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by Geordie Fri 20 May 2022, 9:30 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Rokoduguni leaving Bath then. Probably on his way to Newcastle to force Radwan to the bench.

I thought he was off to play in the France second division?

Newcastle have signed a couple of squad locks and a back up 9 and 10 so far. Any rumblings of significant movement GF?

Oh I forgot Shoeman the 10/15 from Bath that's some experience for the backline.

I think Schoeman is going to be playing at 12 quite a bit Sam...

We have been told of 2 more signings...one to be announced any time now...one in a months time when his club have finished. So clearly a signing from a top four club somewhere but Mark our communications manager made it clear its not a prem player. So maybe top 14 or Celtic league etc. ?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 9 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by Geordie Fri 20 May 2022, 12:14 pm

Dan Lancaster to Ealing apparently....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 22 May 2022, 10:17 am

Has Mike Brown signed for Ealing?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 May 2022, 12:19 pm

Jeez Ealing are really making a statement of intent here. Holmes, Lancaster, Brown... It'll be Joe Heyes next.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 22 May 2022, 2:53 pm

In my head Mikey's bedroom is like Ray Finkle's room in Ace Ventura but it's pictures of Joe Heyes instead of Dan Marino.

Instead of a video of Finkle's missed kick it's just Dillon Lewis and Leon Brown playing TH for Wales with a photoshopped picture of Heyes in red above his bed.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 22 May 2022, 3:35 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Dan Lancaster to Ealing apparently....

Tigers have already agreed an early release so it seems certain.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 23 May 2022, 10:23 am

king_carlos wrote:In my head Mikey's bedroom is like Ray Finkle's room in Ace Ventura but it's pictures of Joe Heyes instead of Dan Marino.

Instead of a video of Finkle's missed kick it's just Dillon Lewis and Leon Brown playing TH for Wales with a photoshopped picture of Heyes in red above his bed.

Heyes in the poor scrummaging body of Dillon Lewis, he can only dream...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 23 May 2022, 2:08 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
king_carlos wrote:In my head Mikey's bedroom is like Ray Finkle's room in Ace Ventura but it's pictures of Joe Heyes instead of Dan Marino.

Laugh

Has Will GriffJohn been injured this season or just struggling to make an impact? I thought he looked a solid TH at Sale.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 23 May 2022, 2:15 pm

king_carlos wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Laugh

Has Will GriffJohn been injured this season or just struggling to make an impact? I thought he looked a solid TH at Sale.

A bit of both. Of the times he has been available, I've seen him driven backwards in the scrum. Seems to be a bit of an issue at most of the Welsh Regions, so not just him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 23 May 2022, 2:49 pm

Interesting, cheers mikey. I guess with Wyn Jones and Ken Owens playing a combined 348 minutes in a season Scarlets scrum was likely to suffer!

It's been good seeing Costelow get minutes this season though, even if he hasn't quite converted that age grade class into senior rugby yet.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 23 May 2022, 2:50 pm

king_carlos wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Laugh

WGJ has been a poor signing so far for us really, he struggles at scrum time, which is odd given he was known for his scrummaging at Sales. If you look at Sebastian who is really coming into his own & has leapfrogged WGJ & possibly Samson in terms of TH.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 23 May 2022, 2:52 pm

king_carlos wrote:Interesting, cheers mikey. I guess with Wyn Jones and Ken Owens playing a combined 348 minutes in a season Scarlets scrum was likely to suffer!

It's been good seeing Costelow get minutes this season though, even if he hasn't quite converted that age grade class into senior rugby yet.

I don't think we have suffered in terms of scrummaging, Steff Thomas & Sebastian have really stepped up. We more than held our own on Saturday against an opposition front row which are known for their power at scrum time. It looks like the coaching work by Franks is really paying off. Now if we can learn how to defend a driving maul, we might get somewhere.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 23 May 2022, 2:59 pm

Ben Franks was always spoken of as a very intelligent, incredibly hard working prop so it would make sense that he's making a quick transition into coaching. He also played both sides of the scrum and his career spanned many rule changes in scrummaging as well which must help. Seen it all!

I know CrossFit isn't everyone's cup of tea but the mini doc on YouTube about the Franks brothers from forever ago is a decent watch. Their dad ran (maybe still runs!) a CrossFit gym hence the doc. In short the Franks brothers weren't the freakish athletes as young lads you might think. They were however incredibly hard working from a young age and well led from an S&C perspective by the dad, hence fulfilled all the potential they had.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 23 May 2022, 3:22 pm

Steff Thomas looks good, as does the other understudy Mathias. Sebastian has been in good form all season, surprising really as he is a limited player. Goes to show how unavaiable Lee and John have been. Scarlets probably just need one good lock and a hooker, and they're a more complete team. Perhaps getting someone who can defend the 13 channel is also a good idea.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 23 May 2022, 3:25 pm

Aye Mikey, you're not far wrong there - thought Shaun Evans has stood up well at hooker but if Ken isn't coming back then I think we need to go for a NWQ hooker.

Joe Roberts is looking a good prospect at 13 & I am hoping he continues his development.

Feels like we've been needing another lock for years!!

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 May 2022, 4:34 pm

The Rugby Paper is running with an article suggesting that the Dragons are going to move Dean Ryan into a mentor role/role on the board and want a new DOR to come in, in his place.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 23 May 2022, 7:22 pm

Presumably Wade is getting unveiled for Wasps shortly?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 23 May 2022, 9:04 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:The Rugby Paper is running with an article suggesting that the Dragons are going to move Dean Ryan into a mentor role/role on the board and want a new DOR to come in, in his place.

I read that elsewhere too, and the coaches we are being linked with make me think, do we ever learn?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 May 2022, 9:27 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:The Rugby Paper is running with an article suggesting that the Dragons are going to move Dean Ryan into a mentor role/role on the board and want a new DOR to come in, in his place.

I read that elsewhere too, and the coaches we are being linked with make me think, do we ever learn?

Who would you want to come in?

7&1/2 has mentioned on Twitter there's a contract pending so it would seem likely a return to Wasps. Chiefs and Sale could do with a winger though, they might be in as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 24 May 2022, 8:32 am

Scott Robertson.

The names thrown around are Dai Flanagan and Jonothan Thomas, meh.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 May 2022, 8:38 am

I wanted Robertson at England. If he does come north his job after that he's going to be in huge demand (more than currently).

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 May 2022, 11:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Scott Robertson.

Ok, who realistically do you want to come in? Thomas didn't get much done at Wuss. Dunno about Flannigan.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 May 2022, 12:56 pm

Skivington has signed up to a 'long term deal' with Gloucester. Quite the turnaround from last season, they'll be hoping they don't do a Bristol next.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 24 May 2022, 2:14 pm

Ok, who realistically do you want to come in? Thomas didn't get much done at Wuss. Dunno about Flannigan.

Someone with more pedigree. I'm not sure who, it isn't my job. If it was your team looking for a new coach, wouldn't you be hopeful they are out there looking? And not doing an Ospreys who apparently scoured the globe and then appointed interim Allen Clarke on a permanent basis, which turned out to be a disaster.

That's exactky my point on the two that have been mentioned.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 May 2022, 3:11 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Someone with more pedigree. I'm not sure who, it isn't my job. If it was your team looking for a new coach, wouldn't you be hopeful they are out there looking? And not doing an Ospreys who apparently scoured the globe and then appointed interim Allen Clarke on a permanent basis, which turned out to be a disaster.

That's exactky my point on the two that have been mentioned.

Yeah, Tigers went through the scour the globe thing and then ignored the advice and went cheap. Absolute car crash that was. I was happy with the Borthwick appointment because he'd done his time learning his trade and by all accounts was a well respected coach at a high level, made sense to give him a shot at the top job.

Sam Warburton not interested in coming back to coaching. Flanagan I suppose could be good no idea about his coaching reputation. The Dragons are surely primed for a young innovative coach to come in, they can afford a full rebuild job in terms of timescale.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 24 May 2022, 3:16 pm

Borthwick has been great for Tigers, they've recruited well and really sesurged. I'm not sure what Warburton is doing, perhaps working with Pivac put him off for life!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 May 2022, 6:51 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Borthwick has been great for Tigers, they've recruited well and really sesurged. I'm not sure what Warburton is doing, perhaps working with Pivac put him off for life!

Skivington has done well at Glaws as well. Innovative young coach from outside the environment in both cases worked wonders.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 24 May 2022, 8:37 pm

Speaking of coaches...Dave Walder has said we'll be a different attacking team next season, as we have tocmake the most of our attacking players...

That bodes we'll...hope he can achieve what he's promising...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 May 2022, 10:10 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Speaking of coaches...Dave Walder has said we'll be a different attacking team next season,  as we have tocmake the most of our attacking players...

That bodes we'll...hope he can achieve what he's promising...

Your youngsters were the standouts last weekend. Real shame for you that Basham is going because he has come on really well recently, Lockwood as well. Shame you can't build the backrow around the pair of them moving forward.

Good news about the shift in mentality, never felt Falcons reliably had the set piece dominance that Deano needed for his game plan to really work.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 25 May 2022, 8:20 am

This is the problem Sam, we play a game that doesnt suit our players.

We have fast athletic mobile forwards, and electric outside backs. We need to play a high tempo, high intensity and pace game. Aggressive carrying from our back rowers etc, and giving our wingers space to make the best of their abilities.

We need to avoid the "big heavy forward" battles where we can...we're not best set up for those.

But its easier said than done....hopefully Walder can achieve it.

As to Basham, he is just coming good, but im not overly gutted to lose him as i think it was inevitable he was going back to Irish, and we have some VERY good lads coming through to replace him. Matt Deehan a young Scottish U20 blindside flanker is one that comes to mind. Of course you mention Freddie Lockwood, who has been a revelation for us...sheer physicality...like a young version of Carl Fearns...lol

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 25 May 2022, 12:38 pm

Joseph Dweba to Stomers. They could do with a new hooker, this is a great signing, seen a lot him for the Cheetahs and he looks as if he could become a regular for the Boks one day.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 25 May 2022, 1:03 pm

Dweba is a cracking hooker. I was hopeful Tigers might target him a couple years ago when our hooker stocks were struggling a bit.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 25 May 2022, 1:19 pm

Some murmurs of Joel Kpoku to Tigers. Yes please.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 25 May 2022, 1:25 pm

Really? Is he only on loan in France at the moment?

i hear his brother Jonathan is not registered with any club at the moment...surely an interesting signing for someone aswell...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 May 2022, 1:43 pm

Theres a growing squad of class players at Leicester that's true. Have there been redundancies in the team reviewing salary caps too? Whistle

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 25 May 2022, 2:59 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Really? Is he only on loan in France at the moment?

i hear his brother Jonathan is not registered with any club at the moment...surely an interesting signing for someone aswell...

Nope, he signed with Lyon on a two year deal after being released by Sarries. Rumours are he's in talks with Tigers to join after that.

Jon is with Coventry I thought?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 25 May 2022, 3:08 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Theres a growing squad of class players at Leicester that's true. Have there been redundancies in the team reviewing salary caps too? Whistle

Probably best to not expend the energy biting but...

Ford - Pollard
Genge - Cronin
Kobus van Wyk and Nadolo - Watson
Taute - Gopperth
Socino - Cokanasiga
Brink - Cracknell

Only player there that might cost more than the player they're replacing is Cokanasiga for Socino. Even so Phil has played 8 Premiership games with 6 starts. He really won't be costing much!

The cap goes back up after next season it's worth remembering. So plenty of sides will likely run smaller senior squads next season then recruit the following summer.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 25 May 2022, 3:11 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Theres a growing squad of class players at Leicester that's true. Have there been redundancies in the team reviewing salary caps too? Whistle

Kpoku sounds like it's going to be a summer 2023 thing when his Lyon contract is up. Green is out of contract at the same time so one in/one out.

The salary costs for next season should be quite a bit lighter. We cut a fair bit off last summer as well when Taufua and Lavanini both left and were replaced by Snyman and MVS. Wouldn't surprise me if we dropped down to one marquee a season early there.

We've got a few players who were signed as high profile players that never played so moving them on will free up quite a lot of cap for little difference.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 25 May 2022, 3:33 pm

king_carlos wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Really? Is he only on loan in France at the moment?

Nope, he signed with Lyon on a two year deal after being released by Sarries. Rumours are he's in talks with Tigers to join after that.

Jon is with Coventry I thought?

Ah right...so get him up to speed with Lyon then bring hm over....Tigers arent daft Wink

Johnathan was with Coventry but not anymore. Not sure why.

Free agent, surely worth a punt by someone.

In fact hes exactly the type Dean would go for...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 25 May 2022, 10:04 pm

Jonathan Kpoku had a nasty injury and was released whilst not playing I think.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 26 May 2022, 8:21 am

king_carlos wrote:

Ford - Pollard
Genge - Cronin
Taute - Gopperth
Socino - Cokanasiga
Brink - Cracknell

Only player there that might cost more than the player they're replacing is Cokanasiga for Socino. Even so Phil has played 8 Premiership games with 6 starts. He really won't be costing much!

The cap goes back up after next season it's worth remembering. So plenty of sides will likely run smaller senior squads next season then recruit the following summer.

Yeah, sorry too tempting. But also...Leicester are going to have a fair few doubts about them, same as Saracens. The fact they both sit top with those squads and strengthening. Well, it don't look good.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 26 May 2022, 8:30 am

Hooper down to general manager at Bath then with van Graan as Head of Rugby https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61584386

He's got as tough a job as I can remember. The squad is great and clearly underperforming but how much that is simply down to Hooper (he started off really brightly after all) and how much is behaviours/standards I really don't know. It's either going to be an immediate improvement or a proper clear out.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 May 2022, 9:10 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Ford - Pollard
Genge - Cronin
Taute - Gopperth
Socino - Cokanasiga
Brink - Cracknell

Yeah, sorry too tempting. But also...Leicester are going to have a fair few doubts about them, same as Saracens. The fact they both sit top with those squads and strengthening. Well, it don't look good.

Ford - Pollard - same cost
Genge - Cronin - significantly cheaper
Kobus van Wyk and Nadolo - Watson - Kobus and half Nadolo easily covers Watson
Taute - Gopperth - probably a bit cheaper
Socino - Cokanasiga - similar maybe a touch more expensive
Brink - Cracknell - significantly cheaper

Then you add in the several players likely to be released and not replaced. It's pretty easy to see the savings. The issue might be the summer after when several of the young guys who signed longer contracts come up for renewal; Steward, JVP and Martin. Reffell will need a new contract before the summer as he's named in the Wales squad and is also out of contract next summer.

Quins will be facing the tough one, how true are the rumours Smith wants a contract reflecting his status as a top flyhalf in the league? Would make the Quins 10/12 combi worth around £1m a season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 26 May 2022, 9:18 am

Yeah the thing is Sam, you're half guessing/hoping about those. I remember you saying that Leicester being one of the clubs not wanting to spend to the cap as they couldn't afford it etc. Sorry but given the several years of cheating the cap you are in the same bracket as Saracens now. People will doubt, or at least should.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 26 May 2022, 9:29 am

Theres alot of youngsters in that squad though, and players who were brought in as "developing players"

They wont be expensive...

The issue is that they are clearly developing those players VERY well...and once Chessum Snr / Jr, martin , Dan Kelly etc all start becoming international regulars etc...thats when the accounts will earn their money...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 26 May 2022, 9:41 am

Anyone follow league and know much about this guy, Grace?

Not seen much about him elsewhere than Walesonline but he's being mentioned by them as a WC bolter.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-rugby-dithers-over-signing-24060839

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 May 2022, 10:16 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah the thing is Sam, you're half guessing/hoping about those. I remember you saying that Leicester being one of the clubs not wanting to spend to the cap as they couldn't afford it etc. Sorry but given the several years of cheating the cap you are in the same bracket as Saracens now. People will doubt, or at least should.

Yeah it will happen. Only natural. The difference of an entire new board and pre/post Covid financial position are the obvious things to point at.

Yes there's some guess work involved in player values but when you look at England regular Genge Vs Cronin who's out of contract because his French club have got relegated having been released fairly late by Munster due to their financial constraints. His two cap test career won't necessitate a like for like contract.

You're right GF, the older boys will probably get pushed on as the younger lads contracts come up for renewal. Got to keep the academy producing and the scouts finding the late developers plus it helps if you are performing well, playing in the big games and the players are getting recognition.

formerly known as Sam

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 26 May 2022, 10:23 am

And just like Saracens, I'll not bang that drum on more 'rugby' playing bits but think it's fair game on a transfers thread.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 26 May 2022, 10:40 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Anyone follow league and know much about this guy, Grace?

Not seen much about him elsewhere than Walesonline but he's being mentioned by them as a WC bolter.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-rugby-dithers-over-signing-24060839

I'm far from a RL fan, but I've seen bits of him. He looks like a real exciting talent.....very quick. It's a bit late in the day to be converting RL players but wing isn't the hardest position to learn. His issue may be the kicking and catching element......and scrummaging of course.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 May 2022, 10:41 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Anyone follow league and know much about this guy, Grace?

Not seen much of him but what I have suggests he's absolutely rapid and a natural finisher. Not really what Wales need I'd have thought as you seem to have wing options. He'd need to move to Union soon though in order to adapt his game in time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next