The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2023 Cricket World Cup

+21
wisden
Galted
Oakdene
Soul Requiem
msp83
dummy_half
Marky
Afro
Pal Joey
compelling and rich
JDizzle
GSC
alfie
Jetty
king_carlos
VTR
guildfordbat
KP_fan
eirebilly_01
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
25 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 4 Empty The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Sep 2023, 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

After the drama-free finish to the 2019 Cricket World Cup, the 2023 Cricket World Cup will finally get under way on the 5th October, having been initially delayed by Covid and then threatened by a Pakistani boycott.

England are the defending champions, and they're also the reigning T20 World Champions. Doubleplusgood, eh? They're looking to be the first nation to win consecutive ODI World Cups since the Aussie vintage of 1999-2007. Biggest adversaries to that are likely to be India, who haven't won a major global competition since the 2013 Champions Trophy, but will no doubt be heartened by the knowledge that the last three ODI World Cups have been won by a host nation.

Five-time winners Australia can never be ruled out, while Pakistan are fueled by a burning motivation to win the World Cup in the homeland of their greatest rivals. New Zealand have made the last two finals - losing the last on boundary count, would you believe? - and will hope to make the final step this year.

South Africa will presumably think they're due to win something, as they've not won a global competition since the 1998 Champions Trophy, while the Afghans will believe they can spin anyone into submission. Bangladesh will be hoping to make a sizable impact at the ODI World Cup for the first time.

Sri Lanka breezed through qualifying and will be encouraged by making the recent Asia Cup final, even if they did get hammered in said final. The Netherlands round off the ten teams after performing minor miracles in qualification, which of course means the West Indies, the winners of the first two ODI World Cups, will be missing out on this tournament for the very first time.

The ten-team format for the World Cup remains as simple as ever. Ten teams all play each other once, and the top four teams in the group at the end of it go through to the semi-finals, where it becomes a straight knockout. 48 matches total. There will be reserve days for the three knockout matches and, if necessary, Super Overs. But you can't win games on boundary count anymore...

Fixtures:

Tournament Odds:

Squad Lists (Teams have until the 28th September to finalise their squads):

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 28 Sep 2023, 3:36 pm; edited 6 times in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey, guildfordbat, alfie, king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 4 Empty Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Oct 2023, 1:03 pm

Tons for de Kock and van der Dussen, but out shortly after. Markram has taken up the attack and Sri Lanka's injury hit bowling line-up is getting destroyed.

342/3 after 43. The record score in a World Cup is Australia's 417/6 against Afghanistan in 2015.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Oct 2023, 1:20 pm

Markram gets a ton in 49 balls, making it the fastest ton in World Cup history, surpassing O'Brien's heroics in 2011.

And South Africa break the record World Cup total with an over to spare.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Oct 2023, 1:47 pm

428/5 is the final score, surpassing the previous record by 11 runs. Sri Lanka are now the fielding side for the highest total in WC history, as well as the lowest total (Canada's 36 in 2003).

Three centurions for South Africa, including Markram's record-breaking effort.

The ball-striking was brutally good, but Sri Lanka's bowling...well, there's no words low enough to describe how bad it was. They're missing several key bowlers and it showed today.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 07 Oct 2023, 2:09 pm

Some very one sided games in these early stages. I steered clear of nominating "Thrashings" as a likely result in the Tipping Competition but might have to revise that strategy for later matches !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Oct 2023, 2:47 pm

Kusal Mendis has launched a 25-ball half-century, with six sixes, to give Sri Lanka some hope. Sri Lanka's total score is 54.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 07 Oct 2023, 4:10 pm

The consistency of the Proteas top 6 in ODI cricket has been astonishing for a while.

There's clear questions about their bowling but if Rabada, Ngidi and Jansen can take PP wickets, which they are certainly capable of, then they can turn anyone over with the batting firing like it has been.

From an England perspective I do look at their 6 best batters, 5 best bowlers approach and think that we might see England end up there as they did in 2019. After so long with ridiculous batting depth and lots of bowling options leading into 2019 they ended up winning the tournament with a tail consisting of Woakes and Plunkett a place too high at 7 and 8 respectively, Archer's six hitting from the franchise circuit not transferring to internationals at all, Dilly's mythical 10 F-C centuries and Wood batting worse than he does now. 6 best batters, 5 best bowlers.

The big difference being Stokes having 2 knees of course. I have a feeling that unless Livi can nail that finisher role and bowl more that they might try Root bowling some overs at a funky time and shifting Buttler back to 6 where he gives obscene depth. Stokes went from a really poor T20 bowling record to taking the new ball in the World T20 as it allowed the jigsaw to work with the pieces in the box. Likewise Surran turning himself into a death bowler. This white ball setup tend to find solutions like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Root bowling early in the innings for instance. He started his white ball career bowling the opening over of T20 games for Yorkshire. With Jof injured England don't have the same PP threat in their seamers and the 2 white Kookaburras barely swings for the 10 over PP anyway! It would be very England white ball unit to try something like that.

1.Bairstow 2.Malan 3.Root 4.Stokes 5.Brook 6.Buttler 7.Surran/Mo/Livi 8.Woakes 9.Wood 10.Rashid 11.Topley

It's not as balanced as 2019 but nothing's going to be from this squad. They haven't had 4 years prioritising the format and dominating the ODI game with a generation peaking at the ideal time like Morgan's side did. Backing the firepower in the top 6 just looks stronger to me with the players available.

king_carlos

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Oct 2023, 6:05 pm

102 run win for South Africa. Sri Lanka put in a respectable 326 with the bat - Mendis, Asalanka and Shanaka with half-centuries - but it still got them nowhere near the mountain.

I think it was the highest match aggregate for a World Cup game - 754 runs in the game, surpassing 714 runs scored between Australia and Bangladesh in 2019.

Not been a good start to the World Cup, and I dislike high-scoring ODIs, so I'm concerned this will be a theme of the tournament. The England/NZ pitch was a batting paradise, although the ball didn't come on to the bat easily in the Pakistan/Netherlands game. Every game has been played with small boundaries as well.

Hopefully India/Australia kickstarts the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 11:52 am

Not good from Australia so far. They've crawled along and lost wickets regularly, placing them at 119/4 after 29 overs, with no set batsmen at the crease and a long tail.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Oct 2023, 12:22 pm

Alex Carey is one of the worst international cricketers of this generation. Woeful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 12:46 pm

So back to watching some limited overs as its the WC. Just caught parts of some of the earlier game. New Zealand's chase a bit, South Africa and SL a bit. Been on throughout today, as its interesting to follow the game when runs are to be earned. Good challenging track, and the batting bullies have all struggled. Even class acts like Smith and Labuschagne have struggled against some very fine bowling according to the conditions. Warner played a good hand, but as has been the case with some of his recent innings, he again not converting a start into something substantial. Not much from the middle order with Maxwell, Green and Carey all failing.
For India, Jadeja's been absolutely brilliant. Kuldeep and Ashwin also doing the job, and Jasprit Bumrah gave them a good start up front. The only bowler who hasn't really been properly on has been Hardik. Not a problem today, but as the team may want to play all 3 spinners in many subsequent games and Shardul Thakur not being the ideal 3rd seamer option, its important Hardik continues his recent good run with the ball.

msp83

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 12:48 pm

Cummins and Starc should just look to bat the 50 overs, perhaps have a go in the last few. 220 230 can still very much keep Australia in the game on this track.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 1:26 pm

Starc playing a decent hand to edge Australia close to that 200 mark. With 9 down, they should just look to have a go in this last over.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 1:30 pm

Starc just fell short of getting them to 200, Australia bowled out in the last over for 199. With that last over strike for Siraj, all of India's 6 bowlers getting at least a wicket. Jadeja with 3, Bumrah and Kuldeep with 2 and Ashwin, Hardik and Siraj 1 each.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 2:12 pm

India 2/3 in pursuit of 200! We're getting a game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 2:37 pm

India Australia can rarely be dull these days. Starc and Hazlewood, with some help from Ishan Kishan and Shreyas Iyer, really making a game of it so far. All down to Kohli and KL now. India do bat deep with R Ashwin in at 8 and the score isn't one that should make them hurry, but another wicket here, Australia would be all over them.
Well! Just as I type, they nearly had that wicket! Sitter dropped by Marsh!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 2:41 pm

Kohli the Chase Master, against his favorite opposition, in a decisive situation, offers the simplest of chances, and Marsh, not helped by Carey, made an absolute mess of it!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 2:55 pm

How would India go about facing Zampa on this is going to be crucial. Both Kohli and KL have struggled to put the spinners away in the middle faces of limited overs in recent times. There is no SKY in the playing 11 today either.
Perhaps in a chasing situation like this, they should have had Rahul in at 4 and Iyer at 5, particularly in case of a couple of early wickets. Shreyas can't play short ball is known even in other planets, better not to expose him to the likes of Starc and Cummins with a new ball...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 3:35 pm

Yep, vital miss. Do think Carey put Marsh off, but even so Marsh's effort was very poor.

Might have been the key moment. India now 80/3 and making good progress.

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 5:26 pm

India sail through pretty easily, 201/4 with just over 8 overs left. Rahul finishing on 97*, just short of a deserved ton. Australia's total was never likely to be enough, although their new ball burst did have India on the backfoot. Shouldn't be a defeat that worries Australia too much. Long way to go and this game against India won't decide whether they make the semis or not.

The tournament is five games through, every team has played once. It all feels flat and lacking spark so far. Four results went as expected, one upset with NZ toppling England (but certainly not a big upset), and no close finishes or games of real drama yet. All been a bit meh.

Netherlands against New Zealand tomorrow is unlikely to change things on the drama stakes, although the Dutch competed well against Pakistan. Southee may be fit for the Kiwis, but Williamson is still unavailable.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 6:43 pm

A comfortable win for India in the end. Kohli couldn't quite see the chase through, but he had done more than enough to set it up. KL saw it through, that last winning hit was just incredible, wanted to chip it over for 4, it was timed so well that it went all the way!
Gill should be back for the next game for Kishan. I'd like to see SKY in for Iyer as well...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 08 Oct 2023, 8:03 pm

India(BCCI) revealed it's template for the India games in this world cup today I think.
Top sides Au, Eng, NZ and SA will get spinning pitches like the one rolled out today vs Ind...and Ind will unleash 3 really  quality spinners.

Asian sides BD, SL & Afg will get seaming pitches because India deems they have  a superior seam attack and better seam handling batting.
However no way will Ind risk a pitch like this one today  against subcontinent side......as Ind risks losing to SL, BD and even Afg can corner them.
Pak....I am not sure...I think BCCI more inclined to give them a mildly spinning track.
For the others vs Others games...they frikk don't care & will leave it to the fancy of the local curator even if he produces a slog fest 428 run pitch

BUT
Aus could have competed had the recalibrated their target to a 240-250 the moment they saw turn
AND
had they taken Kohli's sitter and not taken foot off when Maxwell & Hazelwood had India on the mat.
That Zampa was totally rhythm less didn't help....how he became groggy and concussed before the game swimming into a wall, still beyond my understanding  Whistle

Eng, NZ, SA & Pak all would have watched and should be prepared with 3 to 4 spinners and how to use them.....and calibrate to 240-280 scores

The dew factor under lights is debatable.....you will hear multiple versions of who it helps more
My view on Dew Factor:

1- It's more in southern indian states where himidity is high
2- Northern states are drier at  this time.
3- regardless under the lights seamers get some nibble off the pitch
4- the spinner aught to be an experienced one and know how to keep the ball dry and use the top spinners /skidder

Those who have played IPL should have a good handle on this.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 10:28 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/08/england-to-field-smart-as-dharamsala-outfield-is-cleared-for-bangladesh-clash

The outfield for England's game on Tuesday in a disgraceful state, but it has passed an inspection.

Duty281

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 09 Oct 2023, 12:04 am

Duty281 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/08/england-to-field-smart-as-dharamsala-outfield-is-cleared-for-bangladesh-clash

The outfield for England's game on Tuesday in a disgraceful state, but it has passed an inspection.

The organisation of this tournament on all fronts has been nothing short of a disgrace
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 09 Oct 2023, 1:02 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/08/england-to-field-smart-as-dharamsala-outfield-is-cleared-for-bangladesh-clash

The organisation of this tournament on all fronts has been nothing short of a disgrace

Indeed. Dobell was rather scathing about it - in a commendably restrained manner. Probably isn't going to help the declining relevance of the 50 over format in the future... Though I suppose if India manage to win it we will see matches and mini-series proliferate Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 09 Oct 2023, 8:36 am

How come India can, according to KP Fan, order pitches to suit, when in 2019 England had to play on pitches generally nothing like what they would have wanted?

VTR

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Oct 2023, 11:47 am

Yes, and you made a good point about England's travel for this tournament. According to the Telegraph, England have to travel just over 6,000 miles during the group stage, and are one of only two sides (alongside India) who have no games at consecutive venues. More time in planes than on the training field - England have had to travel 800 miles between game one and game two, whereas Bangladesh are able to stay put because they're playing at the same venue as they did in game one.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Oct 2023, 11:48 am

Meanwhile, NZ are batting first against the Dutch and are on track for a 330+ total - they're 177/2 after 31 overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 09 Oct 2023, 12:43 pm

247/5 now. The Dutch having more success with the ball than England did against NZ Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Oct 2023, 1:22 pm

322 in the end. A mini-fightback by the Dutch, helped by some poor shots, stopped any of the set batsmen going on to a century, but Santner's spirited T20-style knock at the end got the Kiwis well past 300.

Should be enough for NZ, but they know it won't be a walkover.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 09 Oct 2023, 2:06 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Yes, and you made a good point about England's travel for this tournament. According to the Telegraph, England have to travel just over 6,000 miles during the group stage, and are one of only two sides (alongside India) who have no games at consecutive venues. More time in planes than on the training field - England have had to travel 800 miles between game one and game two, whereas Bangladesh are able to stay put because they're playing at the same venue as they did in game one.

I think BCCI are trying to make it harder for potential top competitors
While sub-continent boards are timid England's board was expected to stand-up and resist more
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 09 Oct 2023, 2:08 pm

Ned has done as good as you would expect from them in not letting NZ get to 360ish
They will not win, nor should they try to.
They should bat normally and aim for a 280 odd
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 09 Oct 2023, 2:25 pm

KP_fan wrote:Ned has done as good as you would expect from them in not letting NZ get to 360ish

That has always been my view about Gavaskar’s perplexing 36 not out off 174 deliveries in the 1975 World Cup against England. He knew India could not win and so set out to achieve what to him was a “losing draw” and the only option available.

Alfie will understand as would Carlos’ grandad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 09 Oct 2023, 3:54 pm

I know that game well, guildford. It's very often mentioned in accounts of the ODI games development. Whether Sunny was batting for a "losing draw" or having a bit of a tantrum over Venkat getting the captaincy ahead of him and his great mucker Bishan Bedi being left out of the squad is another debate though!

Sunny himself has given a few answers down the years. The famous one being that he apparently edged his second ball behind but Knott didn't appeal so he stood there, but, wishes he walked now to avoid what came after. I believe he also once claimed, rather hilariously, that he was simply out of form and not hitting it well. Which given the genius he was with the bat (once batting left-handed to negate a SLA bowler and get his side a draw) feels very tongue in cheek as facing nearly 30 overs should help a player like Gavaskar see it a bit better.

He's long been an odd character in the game. As a commentator he's in the same bracket Warne was for me. A huge amount of what he says seems to be utter nonsense largely designed to get a reaction. Then every now and again he'll offer a fascinating insight that shows his ability to view the game as few others have.

king_carlos

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Oct 2023, 5:34 pm

NZ win by 99 runs, not quite a thrashing, but certainly easily done. The Dutch never threatened the total, Santner got 5/59. All in all, a perfect start for New Zealand who have two wins from two, and probably only need four more wins from the remaining seven games to reach the semi-finals. Bangladesh next for them.

Two games tomorrow. Bangladesh v England is the early kick-off, and it promises to be a very intriguing game on a rough and almost-not-ready outfield. Even at this early stage it's pretty much must-win for England. A loss would make it 0-2 and leave them needing at least five, though probably six, wins from the seven games left; and those seven games include India, Australia, and Pakistan.

So the pressure's on to bounce back. And Bangladesh can be very tricky opposition in subcontinental conditions, with their variety of spin and the pace of Mustafizur. I think England will win, but it's far from set in stone. It's anticipated that Topley will come in for Moeen, although it may be Livingstone he replaces, and there's a slight question mark over playing Wood in two consecutive games.

Bangladesh likely to be unchanged after their win over Afghanistan. If they beat England then their semi-final ambitions look very real.

There may also be the first rain delay of the tournament, with some showers forecast, but it's highly unlikely the game will be a no result. Temperatures will also be about 20 degrees cooler than they were for England's opener.

The later game is Pakistan/Sri Lanka. Quite incredibly, Pakistan have won seven out of seven completed matches v Sri Lanka at ODI World Cups, with one washout in 2019. Little reason to suggest that that will change tomorrow, with Sri Lanka's injury ravaged bowling attack likely to be put to the blade once again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 09 Oct 2023, 5:57 pm

Duty281 wrote:NZ win by 99 runs, not quite a thrashing, but certainly easily done...

Only PJ and his warped definitions prevent it being classed as a thrashing. Wink

guildfordbat

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 09 Oct 2023, 8:26 pm

The Netherlands has potential and looks like Zim of mid-late 90s, Kenya of early 2000s and IRE of 2010ish time frame

They have batters who can handle pace...and decent bowlers and a lot of bowling/ batting allrounders

They need to bat patiently ......instead of keep going at the bowling all the time
If they keep wickets in hand and bat 50 overs......getting to 280ish is within their realms
280ish will win them 2 to 3 games and keep their NRR in good shape and let them finish like No. 8ish
And that is not a bad finish
They have been bowled out in 41 and 46 overs trying to drive their car faster than its built for.

Satner has mastered the way to bowl on these pitches in 50 over format......he's not a bowler who can take wickets by producing ripping deliveries....but gets wicket when batsman go after him.....and batter are tempted because he teases them with very slow floated dollies over their eye lines and often wide......looks more "hittabble" than he is.

NZ as always on the bigger stage elevates their game thru clever tactical play suited for conditions.
Rachin is another star in the making...he is much more than a part-time spinner...he pivots and gets the bowl to rip a bit and loop......closer to SA's Maharaj
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 09 Oct 2023, 8:41 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
KP_fan wrote:Ned has done as good as you would expect from them in not letting NZ get to 360ish

That has always been my view about Gavaskar’s perplexing 36 not out off 174 deliveries in the 1975 World Cup against England. He knew India could not win and so set out to achieve what to him was a “losing draw” and the only option available.

Alfie will understand as would Carlos’ grandad.

Thats right there is probably a lot of no way we can win it...so let's bat out against top class bowling.
And 336 in 1975 when India had played perhaps only 2 ODIs was like being asked to chase 800 today Shocked
But
Gavaskar was much better than 36 off 30 overs.......and unbeaten 80 odd would have been more justifiable like he did in this match in 1985 vs Aus
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/benson-hedges-world-series-cup-1985-86-60857/australia-vs-india-8th-match-65398/full-scorecard
again blamed for not even trying and now he was world Cup and benson & hedges champion

Back to the 1975 game.....there was probably some of what King_carlos wrote a grudge, jealousies and rivalries which were plenty in those times between stars...and Gavaskar was a star by then.
I have to go back and google what he wrote in Sunny Days...the first of his 3 books where he did mention this inning
incidentally his 3rd book was Runs n Ruins where he talks about and clears the air about controversies, rivalries & rumors.

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 09 Oct 2023, 8:55 pm

Duty281 wrote: I think England will win, but it's far from set in stone.

But you've tipped Ban N? The only one to do so, I see.

Ahhh... I get it. Very clever!  

You can change it if you want. Just let us know on the thread.

But then again, we all remember what happened to Irishhoneymonster in the rugby tipping comp. He should've stuck with POR-N Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Oct 2023, 10:54 pm

Haha, I will stick with Bangladesh on the tipping. If I deviate now then Bangladesh will certainly win!

Duty281

Pal Joey and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 10 Oct 2023, 4:43 am

Not going to change my tip to Bangladesh ; but I am more than a little anxious from an England viewpoint . I reckon they are basically done if they lose this one - and that first display was so rusty that unless they are ready to smarten up quickly Bangladesh could well be a 2015 style banana skin.

Still backing Buttler's boys to bounce back today. But will be keeping fingers crossed...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 10 Oct 2023, 7:11 am

Decent start by Bairstow and Malan here. Strange to see that Malan is the more attacking but at 98-0 after 15, England set for a decent score.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 10 Oct 2023, 7:28 am

Bairstow gone now ...good bit of bowling Shakib clap

Good opening stand 115/1 off 18 overs. Malan the more fluent of the two today still there and Root arrives in a good position to push on...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 10 Oct 2023, 8:02 am

Scoring slowed a bit since the wicket. 149/1 at halfway not bad : but I think they will be looking to accelerate as they progress.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 10 Oct 2023, 8:35 am

221-1 off 33 overs, Shakib is bowled out and Mustafizur only has three more - England on for a monster score here

Malan with a lovely hundred
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Oct 2023, 8:38 am

alfie wrote:Scoring slowed a bit since the wicket. 149/1 at halfway not bad : but I think they will be looking to accelerate as they progress.

Certainly accelerating now!

This may be a bit old fashioned now but I still think a batting side should be looking to match its 30 over total in the last 20. That’s provided you have wickets in hand and England have 9.

On that basis, I’m hoping for 374 and PJ paying out on a thrashing.

guildfordbat

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 10 Oct 2023, 8:40 am

didn't realize it was a morning start.
Eng already sealed half the game by the time I tuned in......batting like they are known to in their "Keep Going" mode
Root & KL Rahul will be competing for the top scorer of tournament

360 is the min Eng should get from here and BD has risk of seeing 400 being breached also
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 10 Oct 2023, 8:48 am

Certainly had the acceleration once Malan reached his well deserved hundred ... on to 239/1 with 15 overs left.

Malan 128 from 101 , Root 55 from 50. Looking good for a winning total - wonder how many we are looking at to boost that NRR ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 10 Oct 2023, 8:50 am

Pitch has nothing for the spinners & although Dharamshala has reputation to give some assistance to seamers....there is evidently none.
Stand and hit throuhg the line or across the line .......an almost Patta strip
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Oct 2023, 8:51 am

I hope Jason Roy doesn’t have a cat.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 10 Oct 2023, 9:01 am

End of a super innings from Malan ... 140 from just 107 clap clap clap