The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic!

+65
RubyGuby
PJHolybloke
Effervescing Elephant
Portnoy
DaveM
Mickado
Eustace H Plimsoll
TycroesOsprey
glamorganalun
Wild Rover
Chjw131
gregortree
munkian
asoreleftshoulder
Maddog
Notch
marty2086
Sin é
Triangulation
Rory_Gallagher
yappysnap
dragonbreath
GunsGerms
ChequeredJersey
niwatts
Gibson
SimonofSurrey
SecretFly
damngoodOvalball
dublin_dave
Artful_Dodger
geoff998rugby
englandglory4ever
rodders
nobbled
Adam
Adam D
Breadvan
Biltong
kunu
Hound_of_Harrow
ME-109
Cowshot
slartibartfast
majesticimperialman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HammerofThunor
smitty100
gowales
tecphobe
BigTrevsbigmac
The Great Aukster
Standulstermen
EnglishReign
mystiroakey
thebluesmancometh
Feckless Rogue
flynnnio
Knowsit17
eirebilly
EngInAuck
maestegmafia
trebellbobaggins
Pot Hale
69 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic! Empty De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic!

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 17:48

Leprechaun The stage is set for a humdinger of a match next week today with the final match of the Championship hosting a revitalised England fresh from victory in France against their bogey team, Ireland.

Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun

Despite a recent run of victories - home and away - against England, Ireland never seem to have a problem in getting up for this match. The fact that it's in Twickenham on St Patrick's Day will give it that little extra edge.

Lancaster and his troops will want to sign off their first season in charge with a flourish. Kidney's Ireland, having been unlucky in the Welsh match, and kicking themselves after their draw in Paris, will want to put another good score and victory on the board.

Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun

Ireland will be without O'Connell again who did a lot of the pre-match talking in the build-up to last year's victory for the men in green. England seem full of confidence and it looks like Lancaster has found the right mix and belief that's going to make this grand finale a belter.

Are English fans feeling confident? Irish ones a bit more doubtful of continuing their English streak?

England: 15 Ben Foden, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Manusamoa Tuilagi, 12 Brad Barritt, 11 David Strettle, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Lee Dickson, 8 Ben Morgan, 7 Chris Robshaw (capt), 6 Tom Croft, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Mouritz Botha, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Dylan Hartley, 1 Alex Corbisiero.
Replacements: 16 Rob Webber, 17 Matt Stevens, 18 Tom Palmer, 19 Phil Dowson, 20 Ben Youngs, 21 Charlie Hodgson, 22 Mike Brown.

Ireland: 15 R Kearney (Leinster), 14 T Bowe (Ospreys), 13 K Earls (Munster), 12 G D'Arcy (Leinster), 11 A Trimble (Ulster), 10 J Sexton (Leinster), 9 E Reddan (Leinster); 1 C Healy (Leinster), 2 R Best (Ulster, capt), 3 M Ross (Leinster), 4 D O'Callaghan (Munster), 5 D Ryan (Munster), 6 S Ferris (Ulster), 7 S O'Brien (Leinster), 8 J Heaslip (Leinster)
Replacements: 16 S Cronin (Leinster), 17 T Court (Ulster), 18 M McCarthy (Connacht), 19 P O'Mahony (Munster), 20 T O'Leary (Munster), 21 R O'Gara (Munster), 22 F McFadden (Leinster)

[strike]

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sat 17 Mar 2012 - 9:17; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated team info)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic! Empty Re: De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic!

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 17:50

Ireland have to be massive favourites really, they just have a hex over England.

You never know though.

I wonder if Dowson out means Wood in after his great performance today?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic! Empty Re: De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 17:51

It will be interesting to see which team has improved the most this championship.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 17:54

Cant remember the last time England beat Ireland in the 6 Nations , Possibly the time when Cipriani looked like a man possessed in 08?

Anyway should be a great way to finish an interesting tournament.

England by 5 Run
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 17:54

trebellbobaggins wrote:Ireland have to be massive favourites really, they just have a hex over England.

You never know though.

Trebbs mate, you'crack me up Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 17:58

England now a textbook example of a side which has improved as the tournament has progressed. Nevertheless I can't call this one. As has been said Ireland have invariably raised their game against the English home and away in recent years.

So long as Wales seal it in Cardiff this should be a great finale thumbsup

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by flynnnio Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 17:59

paulie will be a big loss here for ireland as all the players say he is the best motivator for this fixture. I think its a hard one to call but we do tend to have england's number for while now. Both teams are in better form now as tournament has gone on. only wish we had wales last game Sad

flynnnio

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:00

My question is, Deccie got rid of D'Arcy fairly early yesterday so will he start him next weekend.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:04

Both teams have noticeably improved as the tournament progresses.

England should target the Irish midfield. Use Tuilagi to do what Roberts does when playing Ireland.

I wonder will the fatigue of playing four games in four weeks catch up with Ireland. Ireland will have to start well, because I think England will finish stronger.

The Irish scrum looks good, the lineout looks good. We always seem to have an advantage at the breakdown over England. Sexton looks to be growing more confidently into test rugby with each game.

If England can exploit our midfield and keep it close on the scoreboard they'll win it in the last 15 minutes I'd say, with the home crowd behind them.

If Ireland continue their improvements and repeat the start they made against England in Dublin last year then they can win.

The English game is always the most brutally physical one for us. So I'm just not sure how much fatigue the Irish will be feeling. Maybe this problem could be negated by clever use of the bench.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:10

Good points Feckless.

Fatigue is going to be the biggest enemy for Ireland, and England will use that to their best advantage, particularly with the kind of substitutions in the second half and when they're deployed.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by flynnnio Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:14

Ireland have an extra day to recover and to be fair these players were the ones who looked fitter at end of scotland match after just 6 day turnaround

flynnnio

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:17

Yeah Ireland didn't show any signs of fatigue against Scotland. But I thought the French did look tired today. However I believe they were called back to play for their clubs during the weekend they did have off.

After 4th game in 4 weeks it might start to show. Particularly when England in Twickenham will put more pressure on us than Scotland in Dublin.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by flynnnio Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:20

paddy powers have no prices on the game yet. wales are 200/1 on to win tournament. if only i had few million quid

flynnnio

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:22

Pretty sure that Irelands players wont be too bad for the match. I really cant wait for it Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:33

There are so many cliche's flying around here it's unreal...

England and Ireland have both quite obviously improved?

Arguably Irelands best quality game was first up V Wales, Italy seemed to roll over and the scots were outclassed. France were intimitant V England and Ireland.

Ireland are Englands bogey team?

Very disrespectfull to the Irish team who have just been better than England for a few years now, in every facet of play and have been consistent in their performances.

Fatigue of four games in four weeks?

Because these players never play 4 games in 4 weeks, it's too tough, is the reason Ireland lost to Wales in the world cup the fact they played 5 games in 2 weeks or so?

Tuilagi and Foden will look to carve holes?

When have they carved holes in the last 4 games? Tuilagi ruins good wide ball, and Foden made a supporting run today. Infact given Frances defence today I'm surprised they didn't look to run more!

England will finish stronger?

Like they did today? Or against Wales, or Scotland?

I'm taking nothing away from England fans today, good performance in Paris, added with a great performance against Wales, an ok perfomance V Scotland and well, a win V Italy. England have improved, but don't get too carried away, Ireland are going to be a tough competitor, they won't be shocked by the defencive effort like Wales were or inconsistent like France. This will be Englands toughest game yet.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:36

That there's fightin' talk, mister.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:37

I thought Ireland's tactics were dumb against Wales. And they also lacked intensity throughout the game. Letting an 8 point lead slip in the last 10 minutes showed very poor focus. It was Ireland's worst performance. And they've gotten better with each game, apart from a really poor 2nd half against France.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:43

Feckless Rogue wrote:I thought Ireland's tactics were dumb against Wales. And they also lacked intensity throughout the game. Letting an 8 point lead slip in the last 10 minutes showed very poor focus. It was Ireland's worst performance. And they've gotten better with each game, apart from a really poor 2nd half against France.

Agreed. They should have put Wales away, and their sloppiness at the end to allow Wales back into their 22, whatever about the fortuitous penalty against Ferris, was poor.

The first half against France was a lot better. And their tactics against the Scots, considering the performance of Wales, England and France against them, were much better.

There is a benefit to the fact that they've had four consecutive matches in allowing them to gel better.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:43

lol trebbs is starting early- keep it up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:46

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Ireland are Englands bogey team?

Very disrespectfull to the Irish team who have just been better than England for a few years now, in every facet of play and have been consistent in their performances.

Would you say that England have just been better than France for a few years then?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:46

Irelands performance against wales was possibly the worst i have seen in an age (Italy last year excepted).

England have to be favourites though. Their last two games have seen a phenomenal intensity compared with the first two.
I still three they were gifted 3 trys today although all of them were expertly taken. France gifted Ireland their trys as well.

Front row- i really dont know here. We got the better of this last year but Corbisiero has come on very well since then. Even.
Second Row- again its difficult to say. Parling is a good lineout operator and Donncha Ryan is still filling the great mans boots. Even.
Backrow- This is where Ireland have the edge. Robshaw has played excellently in the tournament but Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip or mahoney get the edge here. Ireland
Half backs- I would give an edge to England here. sexton is well capable but i think Farrell has been excellent. Dickson edges Reddan at scrum half. England
Centre- Got to give it to England here as D'arcy really isnt offering anything anymore.
Back three- Ashton is badly out of sorts and although Foden is very good the form of Kearney and bowes try scoring means adv ireland. Ireland.

Too bloody close to call imo but home advantage to see england through.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:49

England will dominate the set piece, and in Farrell they have a clone of Wilko who will kick penalties. If England play a tight game they will win.

OTOH if Kidney gets Ireland to play an open game, England's defence isn't great and Ireland will score tries.

I think Lancaster will get his team to play a wide game and by so doing could easily lose this.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:50

bluesman, although the smallest margin, I actually think the Ireland game was Wales' best performance of the tournament thus far. We simply haven't been able to replicate it since, though hopefully that'll change in Cardiff on Saturday.

It's easy to turn around and say that their wins were down to the opposition being poor but you can only go so far with that claim. It takes a good side to exploit a poor side believe it or not. Italy weren't playing badly and were still in touch at HT, only to be blown away afterwards. You saw how we utterly failed to look as convincing against the Azzurri yesterday. A draw in France is considerable when you look at Ireland's luck there in the past 40 years. And they've beaten Scotland more convincingly than anyone else could. So I maintain, I think they have improved as this 6N has gone on.

How can you not say Ireland have been England's bogey team? They've lost to them once in almost a decade...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:53

England & Ireland are the only teams that have improved as the tournament has progressed so next weeks game should be a humdinger.

In England's case this is more understandable as they had a lot of new players playing together for the first time. Improvement was never a given but it has happened and come from a solid defensive base and we are now adding other dimensions within the units that are becoming more familiar with each other.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:54

Think what he means is that Ireland are not England's Bogey team merely that Ireland are simply better

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:55

But overall standings would suggest otherwise, hence bogey team.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:56

They do seem to be head to head, as said above eng must just be better than france then.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:56

well his reasoning doesnt make sense does it!

england beat up france, france beat up ireland, ireland beat up england.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 18:58

There have been times eng really should have won but Ireland seem to have the Hexx, as eng do on France.

This Ireland team is just better on paper though as eng are very new, though they have great potential I think. Good to see the talented youth coming through at last.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:04

Both Enland and Ireland have improved during this 6N and i feel that next weeks match has the makings of a cracker.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:06

Will be good to have the Irish in town on Paddy's day, I will be partying hard with them on gold cup night anyway!

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:06

EnglishReign wrote:But overall standings would suggest otherwise, hence bogey team.
Not True Ireland have out performed England in the 6Nations since England won the world cup. Also the Irish Provinces regularly batter the English Clubs.

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:07

EnglishReign wrote:Will be good to have the Irish in town on Paddy's day, I will be partying hard with them on gold cup night anyway!

Always a good day and a great match. I really hope that it will be a cracker Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:12

It is very true that having all your resources n just a few sides works very well for Ireland. I cannot for the life of me see how England's thinly spread clubs can ever compete? I do wonder if it impacts depth though for Ireland? Doesn't seem to at mo though.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:12

tecphobe wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:But overall standings would suggest otherwise, hence bogey team.
Not True Ireland have out performed England in the 6Nations since England won the world cup. Also the Irish Provinces regularly batter the English Clubs.

You're right, I forgot how bad England were from 04-07. It's about even on Heino cups though Smile

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:16

Haven't really seen many games where the Irish Provinces have battered English Clubs either...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by smitty100 Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:17

trebellbobaggins wrote:Ireland have to be massive favourites really, they just have a hex over England.

You never know though.

wood should start every game from now in for robshaw

smitty100

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:19

Boys, my point is Ireland have a better head to head and generally do better in the 6N since 2003, last year aside and they still beat the GS champs last game into their GS.

When did France beat up Ireland? They drew after France intensity wore Ireland down, as did the Welsh team.

Anyone claiming the first game was Irelands worst has no idea about the game, they themselves said they played very well but were just beaten by a better team on the day, combinations and set peice went well, defencively they weren't the then thats generally not their strength.

England are Frances bogey team as France have been a much better side than England since 2003, yet they struggle against England, thats the description of 'bogey team' the weaker team regularly beating the stronger team. There is a case to be made that Scotland in Murrayfeild are Englands bogey team.

France weren't beaten up by England also, they weren't at the races from the off and England capitalised, there were moments where France threatened to blow England away, but made too many unforced errors.

Infact I'd go as far to say as just about the only game that didn't have long periods of lulls and showed poor patches of quality was the Wales Ireland game first up, and possibly Scotland V France.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:21

so blues erm shock result today yeah, abit like italy last year wasnt it De Grand Finale match - begorrah! England v Ireland 17 March - Hic! 590675

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:23

By any measure Ireland are England's current bogey team. As France and New Zealand are Ireland's and Italy are Wales from time to time.

They're the ones who trip you up, who you can't put away, who manage to win a match despite you having put all the effort in, who give you a good scare, and who beat you when you're not expecting it. They're just bogey. And beating your bogey is always a good thing. So England will be well up for this.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:24

trebellbobaggins wrote:It is very true that having all your resources n just a few sides works very well for Ireland. I cannot for the life of me see how England's thinly spread clubs can ever compete? I do wonder if it impacts depth though for Ireland? Doesn't seem to at mo though.

Given that the population of London is larger than that of the entire island of Ireland, then in theory London alone should be able to produce four teams of similar quality to the four Irish provinces. England's resources are not spread to thin. They have 3 times more top flight teams. And far more than 3 times more potential players as well as financial resources.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:25

France haven't shown much sign of this better side to be honest. Lost far too many times to sides that were better than them on the day, all you can ask of them.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:26

gowales wrote:Haven't really seen many games where the Irish Provinces have battered English Clubs either...

Dont Watch much rugby then ? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9012982/Ulster-41-Leicester-Tigers-7-match-report.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2089971/Northampton-36-Munster-51-Simon-Zebo-lands-hat-trick-Saints-suffer-record-defeat.html Just from this season of the top of my head

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:28

Pot Hale wrote:By any measure Ireland are England's current bogey team. As France and New Zealand are Ireland's and Italy are Wales from time to time.

They're the ones who trip you up, who you can't put away, who manage to win a match despite you having put all the effort in, who give you a good scare, and who beat you when you're not expecting it. They're just bogey. And beating your bogey is always a good thing. So England will be well up for this.
Ireland are simply a better side than England and have been since 2003

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:29

Anyone claiming the first game was Irelands worst has no idea about the game

That's excessive. People are entitled to their point of view. I know for one thing that if I was Irish I'd see the performance against Wales as the worst of the lot, not to take anything away from a superb Welsh win.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by flynnnio Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:29

gowales wrote:Haven't really seen many games where the Irish Provinces have battered English Clubs either...

Do you not have sky sports then? Wink

flynnnio

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:29

Never seems to work out that way though. England do a terrible job of turningtheir good youngsters into something ready for the top level.

Still, it goes in cycles so enjoy it whilst you are up I reckon.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:30

tecphobe wrote:

Dont Watch much rugby then ? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9012982/Ulster-41-Leicester-Tigers-7-match-report.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2089971/Northampton-36-Munster-51-Simon-Zebo-lands-hat-trick-Saints-suffer-record-defeat.html Just from this season of the top of my head

Yea i know those games duh... Northampton should have beaten Munster in the first game though. Anyway, apart from this season Irish - English club games have usually been tightly contested.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:32

flynnnio wrote:

Do you not have sky sports then? Wink
laughing

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 19:33

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/leinster/9362180.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7676008.stm

Run
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next