The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

+74
englandglory4ever
Thomond
Galted
GLove39
ultra
HERSH
mystiroakey
LondonTiger
Cari
Duty281
sheephead
Red Right
glamorganalun
Pal Joey
anotherworldofpain
Golden
Intotouch
Don Alfonso
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
eirebilly
Hound_of_Harrow
thebluesmancometh
KiaRose
Portnoy's Complaint
Goosestepper
MBTGOG
Kingshu
John Cregan
ScarletSpiderman
WillyGilly
Submachine
GoodinTightSpaces
kunu
The Great Aukster
Gibson
Taylorman
Hookisms and Hyperbole
debaters1
UlstermaninGlasgow
BelfastDickVet
SirJohnnyEnglish
SecretFly
OzT
JmD
Scrumdown
maestegmafia
Irishhoneymonster
George Carlin
RubyGuby
valjester
Rory_Gallagher
Morgannwg
clivemcl
Jenifer McLadyboy
Mr Fishpaste
pete (buachaill on eirne)
fa0019
dublin_dave
Sin é
Mickado
Ulsterexile
toml
profitius
neilthom7
ME-109
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
kiakahaaotearoa
LeinsterFan4life
Standulstermen
GunsGerms
Pot Hale
rodders
Biltong
78 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements. - Page 2 Empty Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

Post by Biltong Sun 4 Nov - 10:26

First topic message reminder :

The much anticipated Autumn Iinternationals has arrived and South Africa will begin their three test tour against Ireland on Saturday at Landsdowne road. With a record of only one win in their last four test matches and 3 straight losses between 2004 and 2009, the Springboks would like to continue their resurgence against Ireland and emulate their two point victory of 2010.

But will they be up for an Ireland team who have been just about as disappointing as the Springboks were in 2012.

Ireland who boast wins over Scotland and Italy and a Hard earned draw over France at Stade de France earlier in the year has a disappointing return of 5 losses, 2 wins and 1 draw for the year.

South Africa has not fared much better, with 4 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws for the year.

Both teams will rue lost opportunities during the year where execution and specifically goal kicking have haunted the Springboks in Particular. Their goal kickin records stands at a miserly 55% for the year and will lose you more tests than win.

Ireland will be without their inspirational captain Brian O'Driscoll and South Africa after a long season will bewithout the services of Arguably the best Hooker in world rugby Bismarck du Plessis, the athletic Andries Bekker, talisman Schalk Burger, Pierre Spies, Heinrich Brussow, Johan Goosen, Bryan Habana (yeah I know I am complaining a bit much here), Frans Steyn and Coenie Oosthuizen.

Will this end of season tour be a bridge too far for an injury riddled South African squad or will they be able to overcome an Irish team who hasn't convinced this year.

Likely SA matchday 22.

1. Beast Mtwarira
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Juandre Kruger (Marco Wentzel)
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Patrick Lambie
11. Francois Hougaard
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaco Taute
14. JP Pietersen
15. Zane Kirchner

Bench
16. Gurthro Steenkamp
17. Schalk Brits
18. Pat Cilliers
19. Flip v d Merwe
20. Marcelle Coetzee
21. Franco v d Merwe
22. Jan Vermaak
23. Morne Steyn

I'll update if someone provides me a likely Irish matchday 22.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

Post by dublin_dave Mon 5 Nov - 13:07

you will pay northern rates rodders haha

i reckon it would be tenner from inchicore to aviva depending on traffic on canal. Would take 15mins i reckon to get you near pubs around ground

Luas is a 25minute hop to 02 then a 20minute walk to Aviva, wont do in the inevitable rain. The Tallaght Luas picks up some colourful characters at St James Hospital.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 13:16

rodders wrote:Mrs P has answered this already but does anyone know the quickest and handiest way to get from Inchicore to the Aviva and back? Also what time to set off from there for a 5.30 KO? Is there a DART?

Cheers....

Get bus / Luas into city centre from Inchicore.

Loads of buses from city centre to Ballsbridge (No. 6 & 8 go from around Trinity College).

Can get the DART from Tara Street (probably best option) or you could walk out from the city centre - its only about 20 mins. walk.

Want to give it about 1.5 hours to get there comfortably.

Edit: traffic will be mental around Dublin then.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 13:35

Thanks Sin and Dave guinness guinness

Sin maybe walking from the city center to the Aviva might be the best bet? 1.5 hours, gees what a bollix man...how do yous city slickers live like that.... Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 13:44

Rodders if you get to the city centre the walk isn't too long and pretty pleasant part of town too, that's what I'll be doing for the Argie match anyways

I got tickets to that game in the upper tier for €17! Boom

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 13:55

Ps:

Healy*-Strauss-Ross
Ryan-POC*
POM-Heaslip (c)-Henry
Reddan-Sexton
Darcy-Cave
Zebo-Earls-Bowe

Cronin-Court-Bent-Tuohy-McLaughlin-Marshall-Jackson-McFadden

Would be my preferred team.

*=Possibly injured

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 13:56

Jeebus 17euro! Ya bollixes! Hope its a borefest..... Whistle ....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 14:04

I think Trimble is in the best form out of any of the outside backs, by a distance, and would be the first name on my teamsheet ahead of Bowe, Cave, Earls, McFadden and anyone else of that ilk.

Bowe has done ok for Ulster (2 tries v the blues and some very good linebreaks), but Trimble has upstaged him over the past few games with his all action performances. Zebo and Gilroy are the only other back 3 players catching the eye imo outside these two.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 14:12

rodders wrote:I think Trimble is in the best form out of any of the outside backs, by a distance, and would be the first name on my teamsheet ahead of Bowe, Cave, Earls, McFadden and anyone else of that ilk.

Bowe has done ok for Ulster (2 tries v the blues and some very good linebreaks), but Trimble has upstaged him over the past few games with his all action performances. Zebo and Gilroy are the only other back 3 players catching the eye imo outside these two.

I actually agree with you but Trimble isn't that good under the high ball and is a poor kicker which is why I haven't chosen him given the opponents. If it was different opposition I would have put him down first thing too

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 14:16

rodders wrote:Thanks Sin and Dave guinness guinness

Sin maybe walking from the city center to the Aviva might be the best bet? 1.5 hours, gees what a bollix man...how do yous city slickers live like that.... Smile

I'm allowing lots of time - but coming from Inchcore you are in the general direction of one of the main routes out of Dublin to the south-west just when everyone is going home from shopping.

Best route out to the Aviva is from top of Grafton Street towards Baggot Street, stopping at Shelbourne Hotel to see team off, then saunter down Baggot Street/Pembroke Rd. maybe stopping in Doheny & Nesbitts.

Very pleasant walk.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 14:19

Fair point Pete.

Thanks sin, good advice there, much appreciated.... guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 14:22

Pete, seems Whiff of Cordite are a fan of Earls in the centre Smile

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Mon 5 Nov - 14:25

(If I may return to the rugby for a moment, as opposed to the directions thereto) It's important to consider the point that the generation of Boks for whom Ireland seemd to be a mental bogey man has virtually no players left in the current setup...most of the boks' only game, if any, against Ireland was the victory a couple of years back....

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 14:29

I don't think we were a bogey team for the Boks. We had a strong side and beat them a few times with the benefit of home advantage. Games have always been close between us over the past 5-6 seasons.

The Boks won't have any mental issues facing us, never have.

If we front up physically and get our tactics right we have a chance, otherwise we don't.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 5 Nov - 14:31

Mr Fishpaste wrote:(If I may return to the rugby for a moment, as opposed to the directions thereto) It's important to consider the point that the generation of Boks for whom Ireland seemd to be a mental bogey man has virtually no players left in the current setup...most of the boks' only game, if any, against Ireland was the victory a couple of years back....
you really think we had a mental bogey with Ireland?

The first loss was a try from a quick tap whilst we were under the poles under instruction from Paul Honiss.
The second loss was a convincing win and the third win was a kcking display by Sexton.

Nothing mental about that, just poor rugby from us.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 14:33

And Boks have won the last two.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 5 Nov - 14:34

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Ps:

Healy*-Strauss-Ross
Ryan-POC*
POM-Heaslip (c)-Henry
Reddan-Sexton
Darcy-Cave
Zebo-Earls-Bowe

*=Possibly injured

I like that team,possibly harsh on Trimble but against the Boks I'd like at least 2 big kickers in the back 3.

edit:Don't like Bent on the bench we have no clue how good or bad he is but desperate times I suppose,is there any hope Deccie Fitz will be fit?

Last edited by asoreleftshoulder on Mon 5 Nov - 14:46; edited 1 time in total

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 14:39

I'd like to see Jackson on the benchnot because he's an Ulsterman or because I think ROG is shot at this level Wink ... but because he has been outstanding this year and deserves it on merit.

Defensively hes very solid, his goal kicking has been top class and he's shown some nice touches in attack, like the reverse flick for Paynes try against the Dragons. He's becoming a very well rounded fly half. Hard to believe he's only 20.

JJ and Henderson have deservedly been getting a lot of plaudits but Jackson, who I previously wasn't a big fan of, has slipped under the radar a bit.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 5 Nov - 14:44

Totally agree,he's shot ahead of Madigan and should also start the Fiji game.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 14:47

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Totally agree,he's shot ahead of Madigan and should also start the Fiji game.

+1

Very impressed with Jackson over the last 2 months. Great stuff

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 14:49

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Ps:

Healy*-Strauss-Ross
Ryan-POC*
POM-Heaslip (c)-Henry
Reddan-Sexton
Darcy-Cave
Zebo-Earls-Bowe

*=Possibly injured

I like that team,possibly harsh on Trimble but against the Boks I'd like at least 2 big kickers in the back 3.

edit:Don't like Bent on the bench we have no clue how good or bad he is but desperate times I suppose,is there any hope Deccie Fitz will be fit?

Think Deccie Fitz is out with concussion.

Yeah that was my thinking re: Trimble as well. Real shame as the Pumas are the same sort of team but Zebo has proved he is good under the high ball (very good there this year) and he has a canon in his boot where as Trimble does not have those attributes

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 14:49

Sin é wrote:Pete, seems Whiff of Cordite are a fan of Earls in the centre Smile

So?

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 5 Nov - 14:59

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

So?

They're also a fan of Heaslip as captain,i wonder why he forgot to mention that?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 15:13

Re Trimble... I actually think he's fairly good under the high ball (I can think of examples when he hasn't been) although kicking is not his forte for sure.

Tactically I have a different slant though Rolling Eyes .

I think his physical presence and defensive qualities are more suited to the likes of the Boks than against more counter attacking teams like Australia, France or NZ, where the game breaks up a bit more and theres more space for the speedsters like Earls.

Trimble is a guy who, like Bowe can gather kicks and take them back into heavy traffic whilst retaining posession and setting up an attacking platform. He'll put people on their backsides all day in defense too, which is important with BOD out because he's the only other guy, bar Sexton, who comes up to take attackers on the gainline.

He and Bowe link very well together and there is a lot of merit in a back 3 with those two and Zebo in Kearneys absence imo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 15:18

Are you saying you'd play Bowe at 15 Rodders?

Good tactical summary, different way of looking at it I guess. thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 15:32

Well he's the most likely pick as he played there vs Dragons at Kidneys behest I believe. Did some good things and some not so good but overall decent enough imo.

Zebo has played there I think too? either or.

Not keen on bringing Jones in. He's been out a long time and isn't ready for this imo. Maybe v Argentina.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 15:39

Bowe is a risk at fullback, as is Zebo, but with Kearney out and Jones just back I don't think there is really a safe option for this one.

I'd go for broke and pick the most potent backline available.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 15:43

rodders wrote:Well he's the most likely pick as he played there vs Dragons at Kidneys behest I believe. Did some good things and some not so good but overall decent enough imo.

Zebo has played there I think too? either or.

Not keen on bringing Jones in. He's been out a long time and isn't ready for this imo. Maybe v Argentina.

Anscombe: Decision to play Bowe at full-back not Kidney’s call

By John Fallon

Monday, October 29, 2012

Ulster coach Mark Anscombe has revealed the decision to play Tommy Bowe at full-back against the Dragons at the weekend was not on the instruction of Declan Kidney.

Anscombe said he had made the call without input from the Irish management as Ulster wanted to rest Jared Payne. It was believed that Kidney had requested the selection of Bowe at No.15 as he ponders who to select at full-back for the autumn internationals.

But the Ulster boss rubbished such claims. "Jared had played since the start of the season and we wanted to see how Tommy went in that position and we were pleased with the way it went," said Anscombe after their 46-19 win which maintained their perfect start to season with eight straight victories.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/anscombe-decision-to-play-bowe-at-full-back-not-kidneys-call-212283.html

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 15:51

I stand corrected....unless Ancombe is under instructions not to divulge that he was under instructions.... censored

I mean we wouldn't want the Boks to know our plans would we.... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 15:56

rodders wrote:I stand corrected....unless Ancombe is under instructions not to divulge that he was under instructions.... censored

I mean we wouldn't want the Boks to know our plans would we.... Wink

No matter who is chosen at fullback, they are not going to have a lot of analysis on them.

Jean de Villiers would have played against Tommy Bowe when he was at fullback for the HCup QF against Ospreys in Thomond Park. Best Ospreys player that day.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 5 Nov - 15:57

Rodders run there you soft Poopie! Hug Regulation pie and pint at every pub you come across as well. By the time the final whistle blows you won't care if SA wins. You'll be hurling your ring out in some random field. vomit

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 15:59

Ha ha good man Kia..... I don't think I could afford a guinness in every pub...I'll get charged Northern rates you know Wink

Sin who would you play at full back?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 16:04

rodders wrote:Ha ha good man Kia..... I don't think I could afford a guinness in every pub...I'll get charged Northern rates you know Wink

Bowe or Zebo. Probably leaning towards Zebo because he is so good in the air and a better attacker than Bowe. Only concern is that he hasn't played there before.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 5 Nov - 16:05

Poopie! Classic. The censor now recognises the Irish lingo. Just out of curiosity gobshoite.

Time to use your Northern ingenuity then rodders. Say you're being sponsored to run the length of the country and every pint you get you will later donate twice the amount. Just don't mention you will make a donation to the urinal.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 16:08

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Poopie! Classic. The censor now recognises the Irish lingo. Just out of curiosity gobshoite.

Time to use your Northern ingenuity then rodders. Say you're being sponsored to run the length of the country and every pint you get you will later donate twice the amount. Just don't mention you will make a donation to the urinal.

Problem is Kia, a lot of the pubs are owned by cute hoors from Cavan (so are Ulstermen).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 5 Nov - 16:09

rodders wrote:And Boks have won the last two.....

The last two matches? Nix to that.
In my lifetime of watching home matches v SA - 3 wins, 3 losses and a draw.

1970 8-8
1998 13-27
2000 18-28
2004 17-12
2006 32-15
2009 15-10
2010 21-23

PS Ireland have never won in SA out of 7 games.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 5 Nov - 16:11

Sin é wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Poopie! Classic. The censor now recognises the Irish lingo. Just out of curiosity gobshoite.

Problem is Kia, a lot of the pubs are owned by cute hoors from Cavan (so are Ulstermen).

Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Mon 5 Nov - 16:50

wouldnt play a full back would play 3 centres : )

i mean in soccer who plays a sweeper anymore.

if anscome selected bowe their off his own accord who knows what deccie will do. rog 10 sexton 12 darcy 15 ala clongowes days

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 5 Nov - 17:32

Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:Ha ha good man Kia..... I don't think I could afford a guinness in every pub...I'll get charged Northern rates you know Wink

Bowe or Zebo. Probably leaning towards Zebo because he is so good in the air and a better attacker than Bowe. Only concern is that he hasn't played there before.

I think zebo has to start in this game because he is so good in the air. He has improved so much in the last 6 mOnths in this area.
His defensive positioning is looking better too. The guy must be working his socks off on these two areas of his game.

Fair play to him. thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 5 Nov - 18:05

Sin é wrote:

Is that not a bit like saying. I would probably play Gordon D'Arcy at 7 because he is so good over the ball. Only concern is that he hasn't played there before.

My 2 cents. Stick Earls at FB, with Zebo at 11 and Bowe at 14. Either Cave or McFadden at 13. D'Arcy at 12 Trimble or McFadden at 23.

Outside backs sorted. thumbsup

And yes of course I would play Redan and Sexton as halfbacks

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 5 Nov - 18:30

Sin é wrote:

Sure why would you worry about that!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 5 Nov - 18:36

Biltong, why do Ireland never play your Boks in SA?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 5 Nov - 19:10

Morgannwg wrote:Biltong, why do Ireland never play your Boks in SA?

We went there in 98 and 04. We are not due back in NZ until 2022 or something. Not sure when we are going to SA again.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 5 Nov - 21:04

They're AFRAID Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 5 Nov - 21:17

Hold on... Zebo is a better attacker than Bowe? Headscratch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 21:28

Biltong wrote:
They're AFRAID Whistle

Ireland have always gone for two tests - NZ & Aus. Think we're going there in 2014.

CJ seems to be settling in well in Munster. Seems to be a very nice lad - about 5,000 have started following him on twitter over the last while and he seems to have thanked everyone individually who tweeted him with a welcome.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 5 Nov - 21:29

Notch wrote:Hold on... Zebo is a better attacker than Bowe? Headscratch

That is the part that confused me also.. prepare for upcoming stats on try scoring records over the past few seasons in club rugby, though. Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 21:31

Notch wrote:Hold on... Zebo is a better attacker than Bowe? Headscratch

Yes. Bowe is more of a strike runner. Zebo has a step.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 5 Nov - 21:37

Sin é wrote:
Biltong wrote:
They're AFRAID Whistle

Ireland have always gone for two tests - NZ & Aus. Think we're going there in 2014.

CJ seems to be settling in well in Munster. Seems to be a very nice lad - about 5,000 have started following him on twitter over the last while and he seems to have thanked everyone individually who tweeted him with a welcome.

He is a good lad, very promising player, I think you'll get your money's worth out of him.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 21:42

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

So?

They're also a fan of Heaslip as captain,i wonder why he forgot to mention that?

Only if Paul O'Connell isn't fit.

(They are all Leinster supporters so you'd expect them to be a fan of Heislip) Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 5 Nov - 21:47

Biltong wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Biltong wrote:
They're AFRAID Whistle

He is a good lad, very promising player, I think you'll get your money's worth out of him.

I think we will too. Article here about how he came to Munster which might interest you.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11061.php
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next