The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

+47
TheLittleScot
nth
teh_Dingmeister
TheMildlyFranticLlama
alive555
BigGee
Notch
jimbopip
A Simply Mesmeric Try
poddy89
EWT Spoons
R!skysports
Ozzy3213
Solid8
SirBurger
highland_scot
nickj
Dorothy_Mantooth
aucklandlaurie
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
MacKnocked-on
Tramptastic
Pat_Mustard
profitius
Manky-Flanker
VietGwentRevisited
madmaccas
cakeordeath
21st Century Schizoid Man
whocares
TJ
tigertattie
GLove39
alexgmacdonald
reallybored
RDW
Majestic83
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
IanBru
George Carlin
beshocked
funnyExiledScot
Captain_Sensible
bsando
51 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 11 Empty Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by bsando Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Right let's get down to business shall we?!

9/11/13
Scotland vs Japan
KO - 2.30pm

17/11/13
Scotland vs South Africa
KO - 3pm

23/11/13
Scotland vs Australia
KO - 6pm

First of all, the schedule for these three matches is super. Unlike last few years, Scotland will play a less formidable team first before two tough matches against SA and Aus. SA are on a roll at the moment and will be a good, stern test for Scotland before Australia. Injuries may be an issue however as we saw in the summer.

If Scotland beat Australia that will make it 3 wins in a row vs the Wallabies which would be a fantastic achievement. But obviously wins over any of these three teams will be great.

Players

Backs M Bennett (Glasgow), C Cusiter (Glasgow), De Luca (Edinburgh), A Dunbar (Glasgow), M Evans (Castres), T Heathcote (Bath), R Jackson (Glasgow), S Lamont (Glasgow), G Laidlaw (Edinburgh), S Maitland (Glasgow), H Pyrgos (Glasgow), M Scott (Edinburgh), T Seymour (Glasgow), D Taylor (Saracens), G Tonks (Edinburgh), T Visser (Edinburgh), D Weir (Glasgow).
Forwards J Barclay (Scarlets), J Beattie (Montpellier), K Brown (Saracens), B Cowan (London Irish), G Cross (Edinburgh), D Denton (Edinburgh), A Dickinson (Edinburgh), R Ford (Edinburgh), C Fusaro (Glasgow), G Gilchrist (Edinburgh) R Grant (Glasgow), J Gray (Glasgow), R Gray (Castres), J Hamilton (Montpellier), R Harley (Glasgow), A Kellock (Glasgow), S Lawson (Newcastle), K Low (London Irish), M Low (Glasgow), P MacArthur (Glasgow), E Murray (Worcester), A Strokosch (Perpignan), T Swinson (Glasgow), J Welsh (Glasgow)

*Sorry for not updating this sooner. My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago after four and a half years, three living together. I've been in a pretty bad place. However, I'm getting better and looking forward to these games so I'll continue to contribute when I can Wink

Last edited by bsando on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 11 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by RDW Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Also worth saying I hope the guy's ok!

Some things are bigger than rugby though - if these allegations are correct the players involved should be removed from the AI squad - irrespective of how important they are.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 11 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by George Carlin Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:33 am

6 Japan - All Blacks 54

Eight tries to zip and apparently it was wet so the All Black Ladies Third XV that was selected couldn't score any more.

Sets up the Murrayfield game quite nicely.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow and hawks both on Halloween nights out apparently
Who did they think they were? Australians or something?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:42 am

Really bad story for Scottish rugby, and given the injury it sounds like this one has legs. Don't know who is alleged to be involved, but I think SJ needs to take a hard line here on anyone guilty of the offence. The message needs to be clear.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:44 am

Interestingly the Scotsman has removed the story from the website - hope the sru aren't trying to cover it up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 am

Just seen the 4 names. Disappointing but if they are found guilty then no special treatment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:08 am

The Scotsman have updated their article & named the alleged players.

Sean Maitland, Ryan Grant, Ryan Wilson and Scotland sevens player Rory Hughes are believed to have been present when the fracas took place at the Barbecue King takeaway shop in Glasgow’s Great Western Road...

... While the four Glasgow players are believed to have been present, The Scotsman understands that not all were involved in the alleged incident.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/scotland-rugby-players-in-assault-inquiry-1-3169317

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 am

The s*** has really hit the fan now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:18 am

The chat is one player in particular could be in serious trouble - not sure which one though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:38 am

I don't want to be the guy that automatically rushes to the players' defence, but being 'present' is hardly the same as actually being involved in the fracas. Like it or not, but if I had been standing nearby, there would be no report in a newspaper because 1) I'm not a story and 2) I'm not recognizable in the same way.

It's possible, and I pray that this is the case, that they've simply been recognised by another rugby player/fan as having been there, and the story has snowballed.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:44 am

Ianbru - look for Neil Drysdale on Twitter - he seems to think at least one player was directly involved.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Inside scoop is that the Scotsman article has it correct, and the guy is said to be pressing charges. Still not clear whether all 3 were involved though.

One of my friends on Facebook put pictures up of the hawks Halloween party - the guy that was allegedly attacked is in them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 pm

This thread has turned into a John Le Carre novel. I haven't seen any of the news threads so I don't know whom the allegations have been levelled against. However, what was clear from the Max Evans bar brawl case is that there seems to be a never ending line of p!ssed toerags with microscopic todgers who believe that squaring up to professionals in contact sports validates them in some way.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Speaking to my mate earlier who does some of the media work for Edinburgh and apparently Sean Maitland was there but wasn't involved in the incident. He also said there is more to it than was being made out in the press but wouldn't say more than that. He did say he expected a couple of them to be in serious trouble though.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:20 am

You would have to have some serious psychiatric/alcohol issues to square up to either of the Ryans - Grant or Wilson ! Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:09 am

So does it help us any now that we have seen Japan play yesterday as to how we target them next weekend, or is it as simple as good set piece, good contact and quick ball and the rest will happen?

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:12 am

I'm actually really worried about Japan - we definitely shouldn't make it an open game that's for sure.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

I only saw the highlights and New Zealand make it look easy, but was were Japan like in set piece and the contact?

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:41 am

We should keep it simple against Japan. Focus on territory and set piece, commit to the rucks fully and ensure quick ball. I'm confident that Laidlaw, Jackson and Scott in tandem will be good enough to pick holes in Japan. Fusaro or Barclay must start, as I'm sure there will be turnovers to be won here.

I'm confident that we'll win with something to spare.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:46 am

I agree, simple and hopefully get a good win, and they need to start playing the whole 80. Forwards to set a platform and are backs should manage to find gaps, think there will be a few forwards have a go tho

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:42 pm

I see that John Barclay scored the only try of the game to sink Ulster. That's a massive result for them, as was The Gentlemen beating the Spreys, who look surprisingly adrift at the moment.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Anyone watching Scotland v Italy in the RLWC?

30-30 with 10' to play...

Absolute humdinger.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:56 pm

I hope Sean Lineen watched it too, lots of potential on show there that could do with a union contract

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 pm

123456789 wrote:I hope Sean Lineen watched it too, lots of potential on show there that could do with a union contract
Said it after the first game but that Matt Russell is some player, could be a Scottish Jason Robinson in the making. Scotland scored a couple of tries through incredible handling, fantastic to watch.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Agreed hopefully the SRU are having a look at some of these league players as some could definitely do a very good job especially Matt Russell who looks very dangerous, he could be a very good back three player in Union, signed for Warrington Wolves for 2014 but is only 20 so got plenty years in him.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:11 am

I loved the post-match interviews with the Italian and Scottish coaches - like a Python sketch of two men trying to 'out-Northern' each other.

If one of them had mentioned some kind of problem at the local production premises, I might have peed myself with laughter.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:15 am

That Russell kid looks good, try intice him to give Union a crack with the RWC two years away.

Looking at Japan, I'd like to see Johnson start his best XV and give them 60 minutes to build some continuity.

Only selection I'm concerned about is 13, got a bad feeling we may see De Luca. Would much prefer Bennett or Taylor were given a chance.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:30 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:
123456789 wrote:I hope Sean Lineen watched it too, lots of potential on show there that could do with a union contract
Said it after the first game but that Matt Russell is some player, could be a Scottish Jason Robinson in the making. Scotland scored a couple of tries through incredible handling, fantastic to watch.
In which case I hope Sean Lineen is nowhere near him, otherwise he'll snap him up for Glasgow!

They could really use another quality winger, as frankly Lamont, Maitland, McGuigan, DTH, Seymour and Matawalu just don't give them enough options, whereas at Edinburgh Lee Jones can't even get a start.

Tattie - that's sarcasm was for you......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:07 am

Game week! Yahoo 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:57 am

I honestly hope Barc's gets a start, he has been superb for the Scarlets.

As for NDL, I am something of a fan of his. He has gotten a lot of stick from certain quarters when he has been playing for Scotland, but he has either been played out of Position or had woeful inside centres to play off.

I don't even think Conrad Smith could counjure up anything from the scraps NDL was getting from Parks, Morrison or Lamont.

I do feel if he doesn't deliver the goods in the AI's from an early stage it's time to give Bennett or someone else a chance.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 am

How do you solve a problem like De Luca?

Let us review:
1 he is big, quick and has a great pass
2 defensively he understands the 13 channel well
3 he is a genuine game changer when playing well (see his pass for Ansbro again Ireland in 2010)

However:
1 pressure of internationals clearly, undeniably gets to him
2 his hands have been suspect, particularly when under pressure
3 he has been prone to stupid mistakes in discipline and attracts cards like teenage girls to a Bieber

Don't we know him by now? What real evidence do we have that we'll see different and better things from him? I am all in favour of centre combinations being used where they work but I am not in favour of shirking new combinations being tried out (thankfully SJ isn't either).

I go back and forth but ultimately I don't think he's'done enough to earn the shirt. I'm fed up with players just being "solid". We've got the WC coming up and we need more.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:36 am

De luca is not solid however - he will do great things and stupid things in the same match. He is in good form. I would play him for his game changing abilities

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:37 am

George Carlin wrote:How do you solve a problem like De Luca?

Let us review:
3 he is a genuine game changer when playing well (see his pass for Ansbro again Ireland in 2010)

However:
3 he has been prone to stupid mistakes in discipline and attracts cards like teenage girls to a Bieber

Don't we know him by now? What real evidence do we have that we'll see different and better things from him? I am all in favour of centre combinations being used where they work but I am not in favour of shirking new combinations being tried out (thankfully SJ isn't either).

I go back and forth but ultimately I don't think he's'done enough to earn the shirt. I'm fed up with players just being "solid". We've got the WC coming up and we need more.
This. All of it. Every last word.

Dunbar's injury is a real sh*t sandwich.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 am

George Carlin wrote:How do you solve a problem like De Luca?

Let us review:

However:

I agree, I wouldn't rate him as particularly "solid" either. He has done nothing to merit the Scotland shirt, and guys like Bennett have been playing well. I guess giving Bennet a test start against Japan is a good way to see if he has got what it takes.

I can't fathom why Grove keeps getting ignored though. Playing against some nobody from Japan is quite different from playing against a guy like De Villiers.

NDL has made a lot of mistakes for Scotland but he hasn't been the only one.

I'm still not 100% sold on Bennett yet. He has done some good stuff for Glasgow and IMO is the front runner to start for Scotland, but something isn't sitting quite right for me when I think about starting him, when I figure out what's the matter I'll post it up.

I think sensible has come close to the reason for me, Dunbar I reckon I would be a lot more comfy with. Matt Scott-12 has been playing well for Edinburgh and is the logical choice for Scotland but what do we want from our 13?

A clever play maker like O'Driscoll or Smith or a more Direct 13 like Tuilagi or Davies?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I think sensible has come close to the reason for me, Dunbar I reckon I would be a lot more comfy with. Matt Scott-12 has been playing well for Edinburgh and is the logical choice for Scotland but what do we want from our 13?

A clever play maker like O'Driscoll or Smith or a more Direct 13 like Tuilagi or Davies?
Well, we know our 12 will be Matt Scott, so it's about finding the best partner for him. Scott attacks the line well, finds gaps, and can put others into space. I'd prefer our 13 to be someone with the know how to hit the right line in support of Scott, and the speed to hit the gaps that Scott creates. So, Bennett fits well. Bennett is also a good defender, seems to position himself well and is aggressive with it.

It's also worth remembering that Sean Lamont will be playing on the wing, so we do have a crash ball option if we need it.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 am

Captain_Sensible wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I think sensible has come close to the reason for me, Dunbar I reckon I would be a lot more comfy with. Matt Scott-12 has been playing well for Edinburgh and is the logical choice for Scotland but what do we want from our 13?

Well, we know our 12 will be Matt Scott-12, so it's about finding the best partner for him. Scott-12 attacks the line well, finds gaps, and can put others into space. I'd prefer our 13 to be someone with the know how to hit the right line in support of Scott-12, and the speed to hit the gaps that Scott-12 creates. So, Bennett fits well. Bennett is also a good defender, seems to position himself well and is aggressive with it.

It's also worth remembering that Sean Lamont will be playing on the wing, so we do have a crash ball option if we need it.
Fixed that one for you. No charge this time....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:

Well, we know our 12 will be Matt Scott-12, so it's about finding the best partner for him. Scott-12 attacks the line well, finds gaps, and can put others into space. I'd prefer our 13 to be someone with the know how to hit the right line in support of Scott-12, and the speed to hit the gaps that Scott-12 creates. So, Bennett fits well. Bennett is also a good defender, seems to position himself well and is aggressive with it.

Fixed that one for you. No charge this time....
Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow, Radge.

Just so I'm clear for next time, Scott's a 12, right?

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:53 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I agree, I wouldn't rate him as particularly "solid" either. He has done nothing to merit the Scotland shirt
Bit harsh I think, given that he's generally been performing pretty well for Edinburgh this season and has had a recent MOTM.

I've said it before but Bennet has generally been solid if unspectacular this season, with the odd flash of excellence (same can generally be said De Luca) so again I think people are getting a bit carried away if they think Bennet is the clear standout 13 just now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I agree, I wouldn't rate him as particularly "solid" either. He has done nothing to merit the Scotland shirt
Bit harsh I think, given that he's generally been performing pretty well for Edinburgh this season and has had a recent MOTM.

I've said it before but Bennet has generally been solid if unspectacular this season, with the odd flash of excellence (same can generally be said De Luca) so again I think people are getting a bit carried away if they think Bennet is the clear standout 13 just now.
It's a delicate calculation, but Bennett is part of a winning team with a superb defensive record, and doesn't have the baggage that NDL comes with. If I had my druthers I'd give Bennett the starting slot for Japan and see how he gets on.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 am

I'm not saying pick De Luca over Bennet (I'm really not fussed either way), I just think people are getting a bit blinkered with their opinions on both players! Neither has particularly stood out over each other, so it will come down to whether SJ wants to see whether this talk of 'last chance saloon' spurs De Luca onto greatness, or whether he wants to give Bennet a chance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

I've said it before but Bennet has generally been solid if unspectacular this season, with the odd flash of excellence (same can generally be said De Luca) so again I think people are getting a bit carried away if they think Bennet is the standout 13 just now.
It's not just about club level though RDW, what has he done to keep it whilst wearing it. Its relatively easy to appear good enough at club level but as I said, (and not always through his fault) he has been shown wanting at international level.

As I said I rate NDL quite highly, he has had to work with some Dross when he has played for Scotland.

His biggest downfall is his stupidity. He doesn't strike me as a dirty player, but he certainly is a stupid one.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:00 am

NDL - tried, tested and found wanting (albeit as part of a fairly hapless midfield, with suspect 10 and 12 on his inside); form = decent
angel - untried, untested with bags of promise (plus has looked very strong in the sandpit); form = decent

SJ has seen the light, Big Vern is also an angel fan

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
SJ has seen the light, Big Vern is also an 👼fan
Big Vern? As in Big Richie Vernon when they form their centre partnership? thumbsup

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 am

I would rather have a centre who is actually likely to make breaks and score tries than someone who is a crash ball momentum stopper. I thought that sad era had thankfully ended with St G-Dog of Morrison.

If Maitland has shown us anything, it's that a good link man who runs to space, passes unselfishly and reads the field well is utterly invaluable. That's what I want. Scott can make the breaks and we need someone quick and intuitive like Bennett to be on his shoulder. Scott and Bennett could be our standard centre pairing over the next decade (no, seriously) and I want to see them start.

How much time before Scott Williams surpasses Jamie Roberts for Wales and Luke Marshall surpasses D'Arcy for Ireland? Neither player is as physically dominant as the incumbent but each is undeniably a better footballer and the advantages of that are starting to be realised.

I agree with Radge that there has to be a brittle edge to someone as young as Bennett but I am willing to let him make mistakes. SJ demanded that Little Jon be ready in time for the WC and I would think it highly unlikely that Bennett won't at least be on the bench for the first game.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:03 am

Captain_Sensible wrote:

Just so I'm clear for next time, Scott's a 12, right?
Vernon?

*runs away*

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am

George Carlin wrote:I would rather have a centre who is actually likely to make breaks and score tries than someone who is a crash ball momentum stopper. I thought that sad era had thankfully ended with St G-Dog of Morrison.

If Maitland has shown us anything, it's that a good link man who runs to space, passes unselfishly and reads the field well is utterly invaluable. That's what I want. Scott can make the breaks and we need someone quick and intuitive like Bennett to be on his shoulder. Scott and Bennett could be our standard centre pairing over the next decade (no, seriously) and I want to see them start.

How much time before Scott Williams surpasses Jamie Roberts for Wales and Luke Marshall surpasses D'Arcy for Ireland? Neither player is as physically dominant as the incumbent but each is undeniably a better footballer and the advantages of that are starting to be realised.

I agree with Radge that there has to be a brittle edge to someone as young as Bennett but I am willing to let him make mistakes. SJ demanded that Little Jon be ready in time for the WC and I would think it highly unlikely that Bennett won't at least be on the bench for the first game.
With Gatland in charge that could be a very long time...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 am

Again tho its nice to have choices even if injuries have robbed us of some possibilities. Bennet to get a start against Japan? Otherwise play the first team. Scott at 12. Bennet at 13 for this match,

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am

I'd give Bennett a start against Japan and take it from there. If he plays well with Scott he gets the gig against South Africa, if he struggles then NDL gets the remaining two games.

I agree with RDW - there's very little between the two when all is said and done, but when a selection such as this is so close, with the WC less than two years away, I think Bennett needs to be capped sooner rather than later, and with Scott at 12 and Sean Lamont on the wing, he'll have enough experience around him to support him through his debut.

The other player I really want to start this game is Tommy Seymour. Very much deserves this chance. I thought he was good in the summer and has been strong for Glasgow this season.

This Japan selection is going to be an interesting one.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:22 am

Right I think we've covered De Luca/Bennet, what do you think he's going to do with Kelly Brown?

SJ likes Strokosh, and his performances in the summer were of the highest order, but Kelly is captain, and is also a 6!

Again real tough call here...more so than 13 I think.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

Kelly is a good supersub because he covers the entire backrow - that may actually work against him in terms of a starting berth. I think that SJ will start Denton against Japan and see how he goes. If he goes well, then he may swap him out at half time and put Kelly on, to keep Dozer box fresh for the Boks.

Incidentally, as Paul Cully pointed out in the Sydney Morning Herald, one thing that cannot be overlooked by anyone playing Japan is how much trouble they gave to the All Blacks in the set piece. The old days where the 'big guy' in the Japanese line out was 6'4" and 15 stones is long gone. We cannot put out a powderpuff pack. Look at the Welsh third stringers last year - the pack got steamrollered.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next