The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
lorus59
BlueCoverman
puligny
Plunky
Diggers
mystiroakey
super_realist
MontysMerkin
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
pedro
McLaren
incontinentia
westisbest
Davie
beninho
kwinigolfer
GunsGerms
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
golfermartin
JAS
barragan
29 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby players are too fat to catch us Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:04 am

What bands can you think of that are more over-rated  than U2 (or contains members any more of a twerp than Bonio?
Using an argument from popularity isn't really proof of anything. I'm sure one-dimension would sell out equally fast. Does that make them good, or simply popular?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:06 am

Ash are a great Irish Band, another Irish band from my youth was Therapy?. Luckily everyone is different, and no one has to like the same stuff. I have seen U2 a couple of times, as the wife is a fan, i cannot deny they have some good songs, though i am not a massive fan. Saw the Foo Fighters play wembley and they are by far and away the best band i have ever seen! I am not really up on much new music, though do like some of the new dance music, Chase N Status, Rudimental and disclosure have some very good songs, and Afterglow by Wilkinson is superb.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:08 am

I love ASH

Nicole my fav track .

They filmed the video of "girl from mars" at my college(it was one song anyway)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:11 am

Ash were good (in my opinion). "I'm gonna fall" was my favourite.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:11 am

Isnt popularity what most bands strive for in the end? The aim is to get your music listened to by as many people as possible. You do not write music and play it for no one to hear it. All bands tend to start off small, playing small venues, then people hear songs that they like, and it increases airplay, and then they get more fans, and therefore bigger venues. But then you get people being deliberately obtuse saying things like i only liked them when no one heard of them and the such like. Music is a funny old game.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:14 am

beninho wrote:Isnt popularity what most bands strive for in the end? The aim is to get your music listened to by as many people as possible. You do not write music and play it for no one to hear it. All bands tend to start off small, playing small venues, then people hear songs that they like, and it increases airplay, and then they get more fans, and therefore bigger venues. But then you get people being deliberately obtuse saying things like i only liked them when no one heard of them and the such like. Music is a funny old game.

it depends- for example- Could you Imagine Muse going the formuliac route like U2 did. Even though they are commercially successful

U2 were huge allready- but then lost ideas of there own and just copied what was trending in each of there recent albums

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:16 am

I guess longevity comes into play as well. A band who is flavour of the month may be successful for a while but you have to admire bands like The Rolling Stones who have lasted so long.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:16 am

super_realist wrote:Ash were good (in my opinion). "I'm gonna fall" was my favourite.

Ash regularly played support to U2. Anyway they released their first album while still in school. Pretty impressive. They were decent alright.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

super_realist wrote:Ash were good (in my opinion). "I'm gonna fall" was my favourite.

well done- step 1, some positivity  zen

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:18 am

The point being that popularity is not a measure of quality, merely mass appeal. There have been some truly terrible bands that have been popular.
Unfortunately, the more mainstream something becomes, the less interesting it usually is. It loses that quality that made you like it in the first place, it might have been unique, unusual, interesting, different etc.
Being mainstream means it appeals to a lot of people and that it is a lot like other things (nothing wrong with that) but virtually nothing mainstream or middle of the road, cars, food, comedians, music, sports people is interesting or terribly engaging or inspirational. It's just there, anonymous, safe, predictable and even a little boring and by definition it is rarely better than "average"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:19 am

But Muse are quite formuliac, in that they still sound like Muse. Or as my wife says Queen... I do like Muse though, but should a band stick with what it has and not evolve ?

Though Muse seem to have peaked with popularity, though Knights of Cydonia is superb.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:21 am

My mate was in a band in Scunthorpe in the early 80's. They had U2 supporting them, and even then he sad they were right up their own bum holes.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:22 am

beninho wrote:But Muse are quite formuliac, in that they still sound like Muse. Or as my wife says Queen... I do like Muse though, but should a band stick with what it has and not evolve ?

Though Muse seem to have peaked with popularity, though Knights of Cydonia is superb.

Apparently awesome live. One of the few bands i'd like to go and see.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:22 am

beninho wrote:But Muse are quite formuliac, in that they still sound like Muse. Or as my wife says Queen... I do like Muse though, but should a band stick with what it has and not evolve ?

Muse have much more credability thanm U2

You will never see them going into another genre just to sell a few albums.

Not everyone is like Damian Albam- that can successfully and credibly change genres.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

All bands change over time though, Listen to the first and last Muse albums, and they have changed aswell, full orchestra and instrumental songs. Its natural, i do not think all bands change to just increase sales, i think they change because the members change, people get older. Foo fighters brought out an acoustic album.

The best bands/groups can play different styles and types of music, Faith No More did it regularly.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:45 am

No mate the majority of time they do it to sell albums and copy a formula that has previously worked with a different band. rather than create themselves

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:49 am

super_realist wrote:The point being that popularity is not a measure of quality, merely mass appeal. There have been some truly terrible bands that have been popular.
Unfortunately, the more mainstream something becomes, the less interesting it usually is. It loses that quality that made you like it in the first place, it might have been unique, unusual, interesting, different etc.
Being mainstream means it appeals to a lot of people and that it is a lot like other things (nothing wrong with that) but virtually nothing mainstream or middle of the road, cars, food, comedians, music, sports people is interesting or terribly engaging or inspirational. It's just there, anonymous, safe, predictable and even a little boring and by definition it is rarely better than "average"

That is a fairly irrational reason for not liking something. Whats wrong with liking it just because you like it regardless of how popular it is.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:52 am

beninho wrote:
The best bands/groups can play different styles and types of music, Faith No More did it regularly.  
Thats why I lost faith in them
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

super_realist wrote:What bands can you think of that are more over-rated  than U2 (or contains members any more of a twerp than Bonio?
The lost prophets  Laugh
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:06 am

Haha. Add Gary Glitter to that list.

Thought East 17 we awful idiots too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:The point being that popularity is not a measure of quality, merely mass appeal. There have been some truly terrible bands that have been popular.

That is a fairly irrational reason for not liking something. Whats wrong with liking it just because you like it regardless of how popular it is.

No, it's representative of how music has to change to appeal to the mass market, it's not the mass market appeal which makes me dislike it, but the fact that by becoming mass market, it usually means it's lost much of the musical appeal it had in the first place.
I'm sure there is some "popular" stuff I like, but most becomes humdrum and boring.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:16 am

mystiroakey wrote:Tell us what you like SR?

He doesn't like anything mysti mate.

Because he's

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPTAIN  MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISERABLE.

MISERABLE Very Happy

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:23 am

If we are talking good Irish bands. Cant go wrong with The Saw Doctors.

Mumford & Sons are good.

Probably the only one on here that likes them, but I do like to whack on The Beach boys now that we are heading into the summer.

Get the surf board out.
Whack on the Hawaiian shirt on, shorts, flip flops.

Summer's here boys.

Let the good times roll.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:32 am

Hang on I thought Mumford and sons werent Irish?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:34 am

Lol

I luvv munford and sons, but the amount of people that think there are Irish is hillarious!

Seriously they have become a drug to me.. 

I love playing them on my guitar. I might even buy a banjo!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:37 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:What bands can you think of that are more over-rated  than U2 (or contains members any more of a c**t than Bonio?
The lost prophets  Laugh 
Is it wrong to still like the lost prophets!!

I still do.

Everyone still likes Michael Jackson - Right!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:38 am

Nah, was just saying I liked them.

I've been told my taste in music is pretty sad(again just opinion).

I like all types of music.

I'm hitting up a bit of Will Smith at the moment.
Some good sh1t.

Ed Sheeran is ok. Love Drunk.
James
The Killers

More of a fan of certain songs than groups as such.

Classic tune from back in the day
Smokey Robinson 'Tracks Of My Tears'.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:41 am

GunsGerms wrote:Hang on I thought Mumford and sons werent Irish?

They aren't. Although fewer bands than you think can be classed by nationality as more often than not, they have mixed nationalities.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:42 am

mystiroakey wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:What bands can you think of that are more over-rated  than U2 (or contains members any more of a c**t than Bonio?
The lost prophets  Laugh 

I still do.

Like Smooth Criminal.

If you liked him or not, was'nt a big fan, Jackson was a great entertainer.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:42 am

GunsGerms wrote:Hang on I thought Mumford and sons werent Irish?

No.

Was just saying I liked them.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

Good lad westy.

I like everything these days- as long as its decent. 

My taste is good though(whatever anyone else says lol Wink )

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

mystiroakey wrote:

I still do.

Well MJ wasnt found guilty of anything. He isnt in the same league as the lost profits guy. Never heard anything like it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:44 am

Man in the Mirror.

perfect song- makes me cry

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:44 am

The Beach Boys are good, and so ahead of their time. God Only Knows is superb, and strangely used as first dance at weddings..when you consider the first line!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:45 am

GunsGerms wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

I still do.

Well MJ wasnt found guilty of anything. He isnt in the same league as the lost profits guy. Never heard anything like it.

You cant just flick a switch and start hating music you used to like just because it was made by a monster..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:48 am

I suppose not. I wouldnt buy their records though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:50 am

Well i dont buy music any more in the conventional way- Just pay the 10 quid a month to spotify. So I suppose every  time i listen he profits and gets a royalty of sorts

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:53 am

mystiroakey wrote:Well i dont buy music any more in the conventional way- Just pay the 10 quid a month to spotify. So I suppose every  time i listen he profits and gets a royalty of sorts

Doesnt that in any way make you feel a little uncomfortable? Also he isnt likely to ever be released is he so who does the money go to? Are the band still together?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:56 am

So many musicians have been involved in dodgy acts, though Ian Watkins seems to be very extreme. Have people stopped listening to Phil Spector produced records? Regarding the lost profit royalties, the rest of the group should not miss out on what they are entitled to, due to him being a sicko.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:58 am

Yeah it does.

But in a kind of really sick way - it also makes him kind of intriguing- As if I want to work out from his music why he is so feicked up. I have liked for a long time- not massively- seen them live loads- as i used to go to all the festivals.. play there stuff on guitar.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm

Davie wrote:Navy - using quotes isn't always easy when on a smart phone - however my post was immediately after a post of Monty's that quoted YOU saying the same thing about genetics
Never mind. FWIW, my post was arguing against the idea of genetics being the issue with all mental illness. What was it you said? Keep up?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm

What time does the masters ko?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm

good point- dont they do some red button or internet coverage early

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:35 pm

beninho wrote:And the fact he was obviously pretty dirty aswell, it was a match made in heaven. But also   seems a match that would never actually work.

And to be fair, some Inxs songs are pretty good.
Ironic. They certainly went the whole way towards trying to see what that's like.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:good point- dont they do some red button or internet coverage early

When does the BBC get going? Love, love, love the masters!!! Six nations and then the masters. Best time of year for sport.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:39 pm

The BBC has virtually zero coverage Guns

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

super_realist wrote:The BBC has virtually zero coverage Guns

Really?? Is that a new thing? Thought they always covered it?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

they only get stuff on weekends these days guns

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:45 pm

mystiroakey wrote:they only get stuff on weekends these days guns

Ok thanks. Will have to tune to Setanta and RTE then.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

Its live on bbc for the weekend and only highlights before.

I have said it before though and happy to say it again.

When the 3d coverage comes out - It is well worth it if you have the tv and channel to watch it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next