The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

+27
Hound_of_Harrow
sugarNspikes
PenfroPete
Shifty
slartibartfast
Liam
bedfordwelsh
samuraidragon
wales606
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
kiakahaaotearoa
Knowsit17
Full Credit
Dontheman
Pal Joey
Scoped
boomeranga
Taylorman
majesticimperialman
Morgannwg
Bullsbok
Biltong
gowales
TycroesOsprey
BigTrevsbigmac
Oxford Welsh
maestegmafia
31 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales vs Wallabies First Test who will win...???

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 3 Vote_lcap57%Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 3 Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 31 ]
Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 3 Vote_lcap43%Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 3 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 54

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 3 Empty Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 May 2012, 9:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Date: Saturday, June 9
Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Kick-off: 20:00 (10:00 GMT)
Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Keith Brown (New Zealand), Garratt Williamson (New Zealand)
TMO: Vinny Munro (New Zealand)

Australia:

Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Joe Tomane (ACT), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales:

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Scott Williams, 11 George North, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Toby Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Luke Charteris, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Gethin Jenkins.
Replacements: 16 Matthew Rees, 17 Paul James, 18 Alun Wyn Jones, 19 Ryan Jones, 20 Lloyd Williams, 21 James Hook, 22 Ashley Beck.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm; edited 7 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by maestegmafia Fri 01 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yeah quite a change from the days when Preistland Jones Biggar and Hook were fighting it out for the 10 shirt Whistle

Let's not forget Tovey too.

Stephen Jones has not retired from international rugby, so no change.

Pretty damn fortunate in Wales eh...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by maestegmafia Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

Rob Howley Wales caretaker coach. wrote:

"We have picked a side on form, with an eye on bringing players through for the future, but very much with the intention of getting the summer campaign off to a winning start," he added.

"We have an opportunity against the Barbarians to get an important summer series off to a winning start.

"We have momentum from the Six Nations, and the Ospreys have added to that with a great (title) win last weekend in our domestic competition.

"We are now looking for the next step and a victory on home soil against the Barbarians before we set off for Australia."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:13 am

Ospreys star Dan Biggar is one of five players cut from the Wales squad set to tour Australia following today's 30 - 21 win against the Barbarians.

Wales caretaker coach Rob Howley revelaed the names of the unlucky five in the immediate aftermath of today's match at the Millennium Stadium.

Biggar, Martyn Williams, Ryan Bevington, Adam Warren and Will Harries will all be left behind when the 34-man squad heads Down Under tomorrow.

Howley told the media he had informed the players on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, describing the decision as the hardest of his coaching career.

Biggar suffered a shoulder injury during today's much, but Howley insited that had nothing to do with his omission from the squad for the three Test tour against the Wallabies, which starts next Saturday in Brisbane

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/06/02/dan-biggar-and-four-others-cut-from-wales-squad-for-australia-91466-31100818/#ixzz1wiSP2oFs

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:35 am

Apparently Biggar was told this week that he would not make the tour to Oz.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

It was obvious from Hook being given all the place kicks that Biggar was staying home. A bit surprising, nonetheless. Taking 3 scrum halves but only 2 fly halves. Biggar can consider himself unlucky since he has been playong well and has better claims than many who are going. Howley going out of the way to dismiss injury as a cause of Biggar's omission is odd too. Is he in the doghouse still?

Highlight of yesterday's game was Martyn's try-saving tackle on Shane. Ryan Jones & Hook looked a class above. Richie Rees was a handful. Our lineout was a shambles and got owned by hungover Ba-Bas. Biggar did nothong wrong.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

samuraidragon wrote:It was obvious from Hook being given all the place kicks that Biggar was staying home. A bit surprising, nonetheless. Taking 3 scrum halves but only 2 fly halves. Biggar can consider himself unlucky since he has been playong well and has better claims than many who are going. Howley going out of the way to dismiss injury as a cause of Biggar's omission is odd too. Is he in the doghouse still?

Highlight of yesterday's game was Martyn's try-saving tackle on Shane. Ryan Jones & Hook looked a class above. Richie Rees was a handful. Our lineout was a shambles and got owned by hungover Ba-Bas. Biggar did nothong wrong.

Biggar is injured too, and is a doubt for the tour. I think the article posted above where Howley talks about Hooks added diversity is the main part of the decision.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:04 am

But if Hook is required to cover eg. 15 & centre too, then that is a reason for taking 3 10s rather than 2. Also did Biggar have a pre-existing injury? If so, why not have Hook play the entire match at 10?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:06 am

Robert Howley wrote:"It was entirely my decision, I didn't discuss it with Warren [Gatland], and it was the hardest thing I have had to do as a coach, in particular for Dan Biggar. It is not a reflection on Dan's form and over the last four months he has played particularly well for the Ospreys.

"James (Hook) is adept at playing at 12 and 10 and is a hugely talented player. His kicking was exceptional and his composure was fantastic under pressure today."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:08 am

samuraidragon wrote:But if Hook is required to cover eg. 15 & centre too, then that is a reason for taking 3 10s rather than 2. Also did Biggar have a pre-existing injury? If so, why not have Hook play the entire match at 10?

I don't know. What do you think?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:17 am

I don't know either. I do recollect Howley singling Biggar out for criticism by name after the Fiji game a few years ago, when he was just 19. So there may be some issues lurking there.

Frankly I think that both Hook and Biggar are in form and in a position to challenge Priestland as starter.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:13 am

samuraidragon wrote:I don't know either. I do recollect Howley singling Biggar out for criticism by name after the Fiji game a few years ago, when he was just 19. So there may be some issues lurking there.

Frankly I think that both Hook and Biggar are in form and in a position to challenge Priestland as starter.

My thoughts are that even though this tour is of the upmost significance, maybe recent additions to the squad take less priority than long standing ones.

Hook and Priestland have been through the RWC and six nations squads and will be very used to how things work.

Howley praises Biggars form but it is possibly that he needs more time with the larger squad before he really is In a position to challenge for a spot in the first team.

It's all good in my opinion.

I think Priestland is a talent. Hook a great back up or alternative. We are very lucky to have these lads available.

I hope both Biggar and Tovey challenge Priestland and Hook next year.

Competition for places only makes us stronger.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:29 am

Hook had a great game yesterday, showed some really nice touches, kicked his goals well and scored a lovely try, I hope he can continue this form and he could possibly be my first choice 10.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:46 am

I am still not convinced with him as a centre though Mike.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:51 am

I think they will persevere with Priestland and that he will prove his doubters wrong. He is a good player with excellent vision, Jason Tovey has that kind of clarity on the pitch too.

I hope to see, over the next few years, that Priestland and Tovey will be the leading lights with Biggar and Hook as the alternatives.

For now though im very happy with who we have. Feel that Dan Biggar should be feeling a little sore about the situation but it will only make him try harder.

He is a very young lad. He has a lot of time on his hands.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I am still not convinced with him as a centre though Mike.

He's only going to play centre if we have injuries though. He looked very good yesterday and kicked well also, reminded me of the form he showed at FH in 2008, when he seriously looked the real deal and worked well with Jones. That until the O's refused to play him at FH and ruined his development as a 10. He should and would be my back up fh and if he puts in the performances then he will certainly be pushing for a starting place come the second or third test.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 12:38 pm

Also his versatile experience will improve his vision and empathy with the backline surrounding him, he knows their jobs and what they are seeing from his first hand experience.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 03 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Aus team to face Scotland on Tuesday

Australia: 15 Luke Morahan, 14 Joe Tomane, 13 Anthony Fainga'a, 12 Mike Harris, 11 Digby Ioane, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 Will Genia, 8 Scott Higginbotham 7 David Pocock (c), 6 Dave Dennis, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sitaleki Timani, 3 Dan Palmer, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 James Slipper.

Replacements: 16 Saia Fainga'a, 17 Ben Alexander, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Michael Hooper, 20 Nick Phipps, 21 Pat McCabe, 22 Adam Ashley Cooper.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7793134,00.html

Anyone know if this game is televised?

Some 1st teamers included, some reserves. It will be interesting to see how Pocock, Genia, AAC, Moore etc cope with 2 games in 2 hemispheres in 5 days - I imagine they will all start against Wales (surely they won't not play Pocock against us in the first test). Also 5 of the starting 15 were playing super rugby this weekend!

It will be difficult for them, its also interesting to see Quade isn't included to get gametime - I wonder if he will return to face Wales?

"With another Test four days after Scotland, and given the injuries that we've had to deal with, we've effectively had to select two combinations to win two Test matches at the same time," said Deans."

Squad to face Wales will be announced on Thursday.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun 03 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

Aus vs Scotland 10am (k.o?) SS1

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 03 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm not confident of a series win, but isn't it nice just knowing that the team isnt going to get steamrollered

I hope they come out of the blocks well like they did against SA in the world cup - it was at that moment I thought "wales are back", not as world beaters but just respected.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 4:20 pm

I don't know enough about the Ozzie side to know at the moment.

Scotland have put out a great team and it will be a great marker for what we should expect.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:33 pm

Australia are going to field their A side against Scotland, they have set their Scottish ticket prices at less than half the rate they have for the Welsh games. $45 for Scotland and $110 for Wales.

So Wales can assume their going head to head with the big name Aussie players.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Alun the Scotland game is in League central Newcastle. That is why the tickets are low priced. They are trying to encourage league fans to watch union.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:51 pm

Yup and the teams have been announced also and i think their holding the better players back with the exception of Pockock.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:56 pm

wales606 wrote:
Always updated regularly and it is a 'sticky' - The GUIDE
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
wales606 wrote:
Always updated regularly and it is a 'sticky' - The GUIDE

Cheers Penfro - I always forget to check now that its a sticky :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Scotland have put out a great team

First time since 1999 if they have

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:24 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:First time since 1999 if they have
laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Scotland have put out a great team

First time since 1999 if they have
Laugh Yep, no offence to Scotland, but putting out a good team would be a start. There is no 'great' team in the NH at the moment, as the summer tours will no doubt show us.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 03 Jun 2012, 11:20 pm

Planet Rugby wrote:

Reds fly-half Quade Cooper and Brumbies prop Salesi Ma'afu will be released from the Wallabies squad on Sunday.

While he has played 120 minutes for the Reds in his comeback from injury, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans feels it is too soon to reintroduce Cooper to the Test arena.
He will return to Queensland to continue his rehabilitation.
"The time we've had with Quade this week has been useful, in terms of getting up to speed with where he is at, while also getting him involved with the group," said Deans.
"However it was clear, both from what he has done for Queensland and in training with us, that he needs more playing time if we can get it for him, before he is ready to play a Test.
"Quade has done very well in getting back from what was a serious injury. Physically he is in great shape, but confidence is important in any sport and you only build that up with game time. By spending the week with us, he at least now has the background, which gives him a head start when we need to call on him."
Melbourne Rebels lock Hugh Pyle and Brumbies full-back Jesse Mogg are the other training squad members who won't be assembling in Newcastle ahead of Tuesday's Test against Scotland.
Brumbies captain Ben Mowen joined the squad on Saturday as cover for Western Force number eight Ben McCalman.
With three Aussie franchises involved in Super Rugby games this weekend, Deans has had little time to prepare for Tuesday's Test.
Deans thanked the respective Super Rugby coaches for their cooperation, most notably the Brumbies and Melbourne Rebels, who released their players so they could fly to Sydney for a day of preparation with the team midweek.
"We appreciated the actions of the franchises that played matches this weekend releasing their players for a day last week," said Deans.
"That enabled us to provide them with some background, while also getting all of the logistics that are associated with a squad assembly done, so that we could get started straight away with training this morning once we had the full group together."
Deans says previous experience with the squad, and the methods used, would also serve the side well this week, with the bulk of the players selected for the opening assignment having been involved before.
"Most of the players involved have either had plenty of previous background with us, or trained with us last week, so the combinations do have some history," said Deans.
While the Wallabies have endured a run of injuries to the various play making options, including Cooper, the placement of Berrick Barnes at fly-half does lend proven Test history.
Deans says Barnes' experience, his recent play in the position for the Waratahs, and his background with the bulk of the group, would be critical assets for the side given the short preparation time.
Barnes last played fly-half for the Wallabies during the 21-18 win in the Bronze Final against Wales at last year's Rugby World Cup, taking over in the position inside of the opening quarter after Cooper was forced off with ruptured knee ligaments.
The absence of regular skipper James Horwill, whose timeline for a playing return remains unclear, creates the opportunity to continue to develop David Pocock's leadership experience.
"Dave [Pocock] has been an established leader within our frame work for some time. He's already led the Wallabies in a non Test match [last year's record breaking 60-11 win over the Barbarians in London during the Spring Tour] and has handled the job well in difficult circumstances with the Western Force this year," said Deans.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 03 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm

Wales fans, you should be looking to your team to take on the likes of Australia as equals at the very least. I think many of you like the 'small country underdog' tag. If you don't expect to win then you rarely will.

Well, it's time to ditch that. The achievements of the last year should mean that you want to make the Aussies more worried about you, than you ever will be about them.

Be positive - you have a blwdi good squad of players now.
thumbsup

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:17 am

Wait...

No Cooper, no JOC and no Beale for the first test?

So Barnes will be at 10 - He loves playing against Wales at the moments - but 3 games in a week? Starting all 3...ouch.

Wales really need to win the first test now, Aus will only get stronger.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:51 am

No matter how many times Barnes is rubbished by S15 fans I still remember the bloke called Barnes who has played so well against Wales in the last few tests.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:17 am

The WRU wrote:Wales kick-off their three-Test tour in Brisbane on Saturday and Chisholm, who won 58-caps, fears the wounded Wallabies are there for the taking.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/22516.php

Justin Chisholm told The Rugby Paper wrote:

Coming off the back of the Grand Slam Wales will be full of fight. It's the perfect opportunity for them to get that scalp

It will be great to see where they are placed against a top southern hemisphere side.

You saw during the Six Nations that if you get a pack on the front foot it's a lot easier and the whole Welsh pack is going very well.

Wales can target any area if they prepare well. Every time I have faced Wales they have had a big pack that works very hard..

It will be interesting to see how Australia cope with the internationals coming in the middle of a split Super Rugby program

It's a big hill for them to climb. It all appears to be up in the air.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:35 am

Mark Chisholm... Smile Fair enough, he makes some good points and there is probably no better time to get a big scalp.

Maybe 'rubbished' is being too harsh, maesteg. It's not like that. Berrick Barnes hit the scene with a bang as a youngster and lived up to his promise as an international standard player to some degree.

However, I'm not the only one to have noticed that since he took those big knocks and then took time out to recover - he just doesn't seem to be as multi-faceted in his game as he was a year or more back. I do hope he does play again in his former style but I think he's made changes to his game and maybe that's what he's been instructed to do. He's definitely managing his game more which goes against his natural grain.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

Is Barnes going to be the out half for Oz against Scotland? He played well there last season, but appears to be having a rougher season so far for Waratahs.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 05 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

Scotland Aussie result

Australia 6-9 Scotland

Great day for scots rugby...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm

Adam jones wants 100 caps.

Good news for wales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18180960

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm

Good for Jones, looks like the Barbarians fixture will remain in the calender for a few more years yet.

Its been reported that Cooper has definitely been left out again this weekend as well. Another boost for Wales, even if he is a bit flaky Aus looked like they missed senior players and leaders.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:43 pm

Selection comes soon.

Who do you want in your side???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Im hoping for

Geth
Rees
Adam
Brad
Luke
Lyds
Warbs
Toby
Mike
Rhys
Cuthbert
Beck
JD2
North
Halfpenny

James
Owens
Ryan
Tips/Shingler
Webb
Hook
Williams

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Im hoping for

Geth
Rees
Adam
Brad
Luke
Lyds
Warbs
Toby
Mike
Rhys
Cuthbert
Beck
JD2
North
Halfpenny

James
Owens
Ryan
Tips/Shingler
Webb
Hook
Williams

SPOT ON...... first 15 and the bench is exactly what I would go for

I would like to see Jon Davies play inside centre with Beck outside of him, especially if you have Webb distributing
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:04 pm

No lets keep beck at 12 FHF

Jd2 is a fantastic centre in wither but Beck is an out and out 12. First cap vs the Bazzers will be hard enough, outta postition would be really tough..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

Wales team announced.

Posted top in the OP

Scott Williams in ahead of beck with beck on the bench.

Ken Owens starts ahead of Matthew Rees.

Strong team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:56 am

Planet Rugby wrote:Wales caretaker coach Rob Howley has made four changes to the Grand Slam-clinching team for Saturday's first of three Tests against Australia in Brisbane.

In changes from the team which beat France 16-9 in Cardiff last March to take the Grand Slam, Scarlets hooker Ken Owens replaces Matthew Rees, while Bradley Davies and Luke Charteris are the new locks.
Ian Evans, who joins the tour party after his wedding this weekend, makes way along with Alun Wyn Jones, who moves to the bench.
There is one change to the backline which remained intact for the duration of the Six Nations clean sweep, with centre Scott Williams replacing the injured Jamie Roberts (knee).
Fit again Sam Warburton will return to lead the side after an 11-week break since leaving the field at half-time in the Six Nations win over the French.
While the first-choice Welsh players travelled to Australia as their second-string side beat the Barbarians 30-21 last weekend at Cardiff, the Wallabies fell to an embarrassing 9-6 loss to Scotland in Newcastle on Tuesday.
"We are well prepared and looking forward to the challenge this weekend," Howley said.
"Australia will be disappointed after their (midweek) defeat to Scotland, but that will make them all the more dangerous for us."
The Welsh have lost their last four Tests to the Wallabies including the play-off for third place at last year's World Cup in New Zealand and a 24-18 defeat in Cardiff last December.
The Wallabies have won eight of the nine Tests played between the two sides in Australia, with the sole Welsh victory coming in Sydney (19-16) in 1969..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:14 am

There must have been some tough calls there for the bench and the centre.

Beck is maybe undstandably not given a debut due to his inexperience, but AWJ as a spare lock rather than picking Ryan Jones as lock cover with Tuperic or Shingler must have been a difficult decision.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:32 am

By Telegraph SportLast Updated: 8:53AM BST 07/06/2012
Wales will head into the first of their three Tests against Australia in Brisbane on Saturday with 11 of the starting XV that clinched Grand Slam glory against France in March.

Despite seeing a fringe side beat the Barbarians 30-21 last week, caretaker coach Rob Howley has picked a completely different team to that which played at the Millennium Stadium last weekend.

A total of 16 players were sent Down Under early for acclimatisation purposes, with all but Ashley Beck named to start the series opener.

Fit again Sam Warburton will return to lead the side after an 11-week break since leaving the field at half-time in the 16-9 win over the French.

Only six of the players who figured in the Baa-Baas win are asked to act as replacements, with Matthew Rees, Paul James, Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams and James Hook all joining Beck on the bench.

The only other changes from the Grand Slam winning team see Scarlets centre Scott Williams, who scored the crucial try in the Triple Crown triumph over England at Twickenham, take over from the injured Jamie Roberts at centre, hooker Ken Owens replace his Scarlets team-mate Matthew Rees and Blues lock Bradley Davies pack down with ex-Dragons skipper Luke Charteris in the second row.

Davies has not played for Wales since picking up a six-week ban for a dangerous tackle in the opening victory over Ireland in February. He replaces Wyn Jones, while Charteris moves up off the bench to take over from Ian Evans, who is getting married.

''We are well prepared and looking forward to the challenge this weekend,'' said Wales caretaker head coach Rob Howley.

''We have created some winning momentum, we have a recent home win against the Barbarians to take into this game and have built a certain amount of confidence within the squad.''

Meanwhile, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has made nine changes after his side lost 9-6 to Scotland on Monday.

There are five newcomers in the pack, including an all-new Waratahs front row, and three more behind the scrum.

Loosehead prop Benn Robinson makes a welcome return to the Test arena after an 18-month absence and fit-again Wycliff Palu gets the nod at number eight.

Wales XV: L Halfpenny; A Cuthbert, J Davies, S Williams, G North; R Priestland, M Phillips; G Jenkins, K Owens, A Jones, B Davies, L Charteris, D Lydiate, S Warburton (Captain), T Faletau.
Replacements: M Rees, P James, AW Jones, R Jones, L Williams, J Hook, A Beck.

Australia XV: A Ashley-Cooper; J Tomane, R Horne, P McCabe, D Ioane; B Barnes, W Genia; B Robinson, T Polota Nau, S Kepu, R Simmons, N Sharpe, S Higginbotham, D Pocock, W Palu.
Replacements: S Moore, B Alexander, D Dennis, M Hooper, N White, A Fainga'a, M Harris.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

Very good line-up, with Lions quality on the bench. We won't have a better chance than this.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:58 pm

Let's hope so..!

Still think that Aussie team has a bit of bite to it. Not as weak as some are making out.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm

I think Howley has missed a trick not going with a 5/2 bench - although I guess it will give Beck a chance to show what he can do off the bench.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:42 pm

5/2 bench would be a huge risk.

I am hoping to see beck come on, see what he has...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next