The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

+27
Hound_of_Harrow
sugarNspikes
PenfroPete
Shifty
slartibartfast
Liam
bedfordwelsh
samuraidragon
wales606
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
kiakahaaotearoa
Knowsit17
Full Credit
Dontheman
Pal Joey
Scoped
boomeranga
Taylorman
majesticimperialman
Morgannwg
Bullsbok
Biltong
gowales
TycroesOsprey
BigTrevsbigmac
Oxford Welsh
maestegmafia
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wales vs Wallabies First Test who will win...???

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 4 Vote_lcap57%Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 4 Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 31 ]
Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 4 Vote_lcap43%Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 4 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 54

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 4 Empty Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 May 2012, 9:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Date: Saturday, June 9
Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Kick-off: 20:00 (10:00 GMT)
Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Keith Brown (New Zealand), Garratt Williamson (New Zealand)
TMO: Vinny Munro (New Zealand)

Australia:

Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Joe Tomane (ACT), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales:

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Scott Williams, 11 George North, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Toby Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Luke Charteris, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Gethin Jenkins.
Replacements: 16 Matthew Rees, 17 Paul James, 18 Alun Wyn Jones, 19 Ryan Jones, 20 Lloyd Williams, 21 James Hook, 22 Ashley Beck.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm; edited 7 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Surprised not to see Tipuric or Webb on the bench. But it's a tough call with Ryan Jones in the form he's in, so aside from Lloyd Williams no criticisms.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

I think Lloyd Williams is getting an unfair amount of criticism. He is good, Webb may have a current edge over him but over the last twelve months maybe Lloyd has more consistently been the better player.

You also have to consider the amount of time players have been with this squad. Lloyd has been involved for a year now, Webb is a new boy.

We are very lucky to have such competition for places, but guys that know the Squad will have an advantage over lads coming in recently, more experience in training and at international level.

Though I must say if Williams gets on and does little that Webb will be pressuring for a bench spot in the second test..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

I would have preferred Beck in the centre and Liam Williams on the bench to cover the back 3 (Hook could then just cover centre/FH) - I like the look of the team though, even if it is a bit unlucky on Tupric.

One thing though WEBB - where is he and what has Brynmor said to Howley so Lloyd keeps getting picked (he's good but off form and not our best option)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:44 pm

As I mentioned above, I think that players that have been in the squad and have had more caps are preferred to those with less...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:19 pm

The poll is still in Oz's favour though, maybe people voted before the Scotland match/team was announced
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:26 pm

The poll also started before the aussies suffered their injuries

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:09 pm

Pretty much what was hoping for and expected only difference I would have made is Webb over Williams on the bench
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:11 pm

Leigh Halfpenny wrote:There is unfinished business between the two teams after the bronze final at the World Cup," said Halfpenny.

"We wanted to make up for the disappointment of losing to France in that game, but we lost."

"We are looking to get one back on them. We want to come here and send a message to the rest of the world that we mean business - it is a big target for this group to beat Australia in their own backyard."

"We haven't had a conversation about the goal-kicking for this tour as yet, but I certainly hope to carry on. I bided my time and got my first real chance in the Six Nations and I was pleased to be the top scorer and top of the accuracy stakes as well. I hope that will speak for itself."

"It was good to get a look at the stadium before the first Test and it was nice to see some different rugby. It was a good game - fast and with lots of tries.

"It's a big stadium and it's really nice. I'm sure it will be pretty full and have a great atmosphere on Saturday.

"I just can't wait to play again. I'm itching for a game. I just want to get back onto the pitch after a few weeks lay-off. We have had a couple of weeks in which to put in some good conditioning work and we've been training well. Everyone is itching to go because a fair few of us haven't played for a while."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:29 pm

Scott Williams of the Scarlets and Wales wrote:

"I'm just really happy to have the opportunity to start a game. I've played a lot coming off the bench, with Jamie being in great form.

"This is my opportunity now and I will do my best to try and take it. It's my big chance on the weekend."

"I think it's an advantage because we've trained and played a lot together," added Williams. "We are used to each other.

"We know we are going to have our work cut out. Australia are not going to be a pushover. They had a really scrappy game against Scotland and were unlucky there.

"But we are just concentrating on what we are taking into the game now. We have got a massive opportunity to put a stamp on a southern hemisphere side."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

Sky Sports Rugby wrote:Defensive coach Shaun Edwards insists Wales are targeting a place in history in their three-Test series against Australia this month.

The series, which opens with the first Test in Brisbane on Saturday, pits the Six Nations champions against the Tri-Nations winners.

But history is against the tourists, with Wales having not taken a major scalp in the southern hemisphere since beating Australia at the 1987 World Cup.

The Wallabies also won both clashes between the sides at the back end of last season, including the World Cup third place play-off, but Edwards believes this will be a huge driving force for the young Welsh players.

He said: "The history books are against us... but the thing about these guys is they are very young... and they want to make their own history.

"The thing that rankles them is they've never beaten Australia and that will be a big driving force for them, to rectify that in Australia."

Australia go into the clash on the back of a 9-6 defeat to Scotland on Tuesday but Edwards, who will be working under Rob Howley on the tour in the continued absence of the injured head coach Warren Gatland, warned the hosts should never be underestimated.

"Every time you play against Australia, you are playing against a very good team, whoever puts on that green and gold jersey is going to be a very good player," he said.

"The history books are against us... but the thing about these guys is they are very young... and they want to make their own history." Shaun Edwards

Scrum-half Mike Phillips added the Welsh want to build on their Six Nations' Grand Slam.

"It's all about winning and we want to carry on in that way and move to the next level," he said. "We want to push on and get the next big scalp."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:56 pm

David Pocock Australia Captain wrote:"It was definitely not the start we were after for the Test season, we go into Saturday after the loss knowing we have no option but to perform against Wales."

"They are Six Nations champions, their attack is probably one of the best in the world in the way they use the ball. They have big guys in the backline, their centres create a bit of havoc and their wingers run really good lines. Defensively is one of the areas, over the last three or so years, they have really improved."

"It is important because you win the first one, then you only have to win another one, but like any three-Test series the first one is important but it's not the end of it. You have three games."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

The Sydney Morning Herald..!

Wales turn into sharks after sensing blood from wounded Wallabies

GREG GROWDEN June 08, 2012

WHILE the Wallabies will be relying on seven Waratahs who have forgotten the art of winning, Wales believe they have been handed their best chance in decades to win their first Test on Australian soil since 1969.
The Wallabies have revamped their line-up for tomorrow night's Test against Wales in Brisbane, following the embarrassment of losing to Scotland in Newcastle. They have included four Waratahs forwards in Wycliff Palu, Benn Robinson, Tatafu Polota Nau, Sekope Kepu; NSW fullback Adam Ashley- Cooper, centre Rob Horne, and Berrick Barnes remains at five-eighth.
But this revamp has not deterred the Six Nations champions, who have been sitting in Brisbane for over a week waiting for the chance to overhaul the Wallabies when they are down and out. And the visitors are certainly buoyant boyos.

Teams usually say a humiliating loss suffered by an opponent leading up to a Test is dangerous, because of the rebound factor. But Wales caretaker coach Rob Howley did not seem too bothered by the Wallabies' Novocastrian misadventure.
Asked if the Scotland loss had made his job harder, Howley yesterday said: ''No. We've spoken as a squad. It's a great result for Wales, and we're confident where we're at. We've come through a good Six Nations, there's competition for places, and we believe we've got an opportunity on the weekend. Winning five [Six Nations] games in a row and then beating the Barbarians last weekend puts us in a good place.''
That was followed by a few ifs and but, before Howley again pushed the Welsh cause, hoping the first match of a three-Test series will revive scenes of 1969, when the Welsh defeated Greg Davis's Wallabies 19-16 at the SCG. Since then, Wales have lost eight straight Tests in Australia.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 7:24 am

Wales assistant coach Neil Jenkins fears a backlash from Australia after the Wallabies suffered a shock defeat to Scotland on Tuesday, when the two sides clash at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday. (KO 11am UK time)

The Brisbane showdown sees the current Tri Nations champions take on the reigning Grand Slam champions of Europe but it's Wales who go into the match as slight favourites, even though they haven't won on Aussie soil since 1969.

Deans has made nine changes to the side which lost to Scotland while Wales go into the match with 11 players from the side which clinched the Grand Slam against France.

"The players have had a good week to prepare and we are in pretty good shape. There are no excuses for Saturday night," said Jenkins.

"The feeling I get in the camp is that everyone is looking forward to it. We did pretty well at the World Cup, and very well in winning the Grand Slam, but this is the next step for any side, winning in the southern hemisphere. It is an opportunity for us, but it isn't won on paper. We have to take our chances and limit theirs."

"We know what Saturday holds for us - we are under no illusions as to what is coming. But we have got to back ourselves because we believe we have a pretty good side," said Jenkins.

"We are expecting Australia to come out all guns firing, especially after their very disappointing result against Scotland on Tuesday. I'm just hoping we can match them in that way.

"It's going to take a huge effort from us to win because they are a fantastic side. They are certainly the second best team in the world and I think they would push the All Blacks.

"We managed to win the Grand Slam, but now we want that southern hemisphere scalp to take this squad to the next level. It is a huge challenge.

"It would be nice to get off to a winning start in the series because that always puts pressure on the opposition. They are a good side that will be hurting from Tuesday.

"They will be very disappointed about Tuesday night and will want to turn up and put in a good performance. We may be in a different position than we have been for a long time, but that is irrelevant - we've still got to turn up and play well.

"We believe we are a very fit side and the longer we stay in the game, the better chance we will have of winning it. We just can't afford to let them get off to a good start."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4