The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

+27
Hound_of_Harrow
sugarNspikes
PenfroPete
Shifty
slartibartfast
Liam
bedfordwelsh
samuraidragon
wales606
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
kiakahaaotearoa
Knowsit17
Full Credit
Dontheman
Pal Joey
Scoped
boomeranga
Taylorman
majesticimperialman
Morgannwg
Bullsbok
Biltong
gowales
TycroesOsprey
BigTrevsbigmac
Oxford Welsh
maestegmafia
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales vs Wallabies First Test who will win...???

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 31 ]
Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 54

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Empty Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 21, 2012 9:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Date: Saturday, June 9
Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Kick-off: 20:00 (10:00 GMT)
Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Keith Brown (New Zealand), Garratt Williamson (New Zealand)
TMO: Vinny Munro (New Zealand)

Australia:

Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Joe Tomane (ACT), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales:

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Scott Williams, 11 George North, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Toby Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Luke Charteris, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Gethin Jenkins.
Replacements: 16 Matthew Rees, 17 Paul James, 18 Alun Wyn Jones, 19 Ryan Jones, 20 Lloyd Williams, 21 James Hook, 22 Ashley Beck.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 7 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon May 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Full Credit wrote:With no Beale, JOC, Tapuai, or Lealiifano, our backline isn't looking as potent as it could. Quade showed against the Brumbies on the weekend that he's still a fair way off his best and with the Reds having a bye next weekend he's not going to get a chance to play his way back to form before the tests.

Given the captain's out now too, I'd have to agree with most that Wales have never had a better chance.

Hmm I wonder if there is going to be some Aussie mindgames saying the same thing and trying to install wales as favorites. Whistle

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!!

Post by Morgannwg Mon May 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Full Credit, what team would you pick for the first test against Wales?

Also, somehow it posted the wrong link earlier. I mean to post this: http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/22462.php
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Mon May 28, 2012 5:24 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Hmm I wonder if there is going to be some Aussie mindgames saying the same thing and trying to install wales as favorites. Whistle

I wouldn't go that far. There's a big difference between never having a better chance and being favourites. It's just the reality that when you're missing 5 first choice players it makes an impact, especially for a side that relies so much on their backs. Maybe NZ wouldn't notice it but everyone else does.

As far as picking a side goes, I doubt there'll be too many surprises in the forwards.
Robinson, Moore, Alexander (although Palmer deserves a shot)
Simmons, Timani maybe, Pyle, or Douglas. Really depends who plays against Scotland.
Palu, Higginbotham, Pocock in the loose. Cliffy's sure to run out of gas around the 60min mark at which point I'd like to see Hooper come on and play 7 and move Pocock to 6, Higgers to 8. The Reds have had some good success playing 2 fetchers lately and those guys are 2 of the best.

The backs are a disaster. Genia's a cert obviously. At 10, maybe play Cooper for a half until he runs out of steam then bring Barnes on to put us all to sleep with his wayward passes and pointless kicks. McCabe and Faaingaa in the centres doesn't excite me at all. Those guys are great defenders but offer little in attack. AAC at 13 would give better balance alongside McCabe at 12 but between them you could count on one hand how many times they've passed the ball in their careers. I'd probably give Shipperly the nod (with Digby) over Tomane and Vuna on the wing and hope for the best with Morahan at 15. Digby's about the only spark in that backline which is a big concern.

Salesi Mafu, Rob Horne, and Ben McCalman must have some dirt on Robbie Deans because their selection beggars belief. I though Mowen and Fardy should have been in the side as well but I guess you can't please everyone.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm

A- sounds a bit better. I'd only consider a team to be B+ or less if half or more of their first choice starting XV was unavailable.

In any case this tour might provide some Aussie youngsters with the chance to impress and set up a challenge for starting places even in a full-strength side. Less likely things have happened.

Anyway Roberts is out with question marks still hanging over JD2 and Scott Williams so Wales could also be considered A- Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon May 28, 2012 6:01 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Although i dont think that Wales will in Australia. But lets be honest this is the best chance Wales have of beating Australia. Probably the Best chance in the History of Welsh rugby.

This summer tour is straight after the Rugby World Cup, their best Players(Australia) either injured or retired from international rugby. So in my mind i dont think that Wales will win.

But i would not write them off either.

Wales beat Australia a few times before madge.

maestegmafia

Maybe i did not get my message across properly. Doh

So i will try and do it now, when i said that i would not write them off either. I was actualy talking about NOT WRITING WALES OFF.

I was trying to pay Wales a compliment. But you could not see that. could you? Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 6:06 pm

It's just this paragraph that makes no sense sadly Madge

This summer tour is straight after the Rugby World Cup, their best Players(Australia) either injured or retired from international rugby. So in my mind i dont think that Wales will win.

So Australia have their best players injured or retired and that's your justification why you think Wales won't win Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Our Sanzar brothers must not get into the habit of dropping tests at home to the Northerners.The al blacks last lost to the NH at home in 09 (France Dunedin of all places) and this record will stay that way for quite some time. Bokke lost the 3rd lions test otherwise we're still intact .But the Wobblies dropped a test to England , then Ireland in NZ last year, i hope they dont make it a triple crown and lose to Wales too.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon May 28, 2012 8:19 pm

What I find interesting with the likely line up is that Australia's potent backline looks a bit... toothless really. Take Beale and JOC or their equivalents out of any side and there's no surpise. Cooper is not in any great form and 12 options don't inspire me with any confidence. It gets a lot better on the wings with Vuna and Ioane but you need your inside chain to create that space first for the wings.

So will Australia play a different game and surprise the Welsh with a more defensive gameplan and look to take advantage of mistakes and seek advantage on the counter attack? Or will they go toe to toe with what the Welsh throw at them and try to make this an open game which normally they excel at? Going to be fascinating to see which tactics they employ. If there are any more injuries, it could well spell major trouble for the Wobblies. Then again, they are masters at hiding their weaknesses and making the most of their strengths. They are 3N champs and more than hold their own against SA and NZ.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:What I find interesting with the likely line up is that Australia's potent backline looks a bit... toothless really. Take Beale and JOC or their equivalents out of any side and there's no surpise. Cooper is not in any great form and 12 options don't inspire me with any confidence. It gets a lot better on the wings with Vuna and Ioane but you need your inside chain to create that space first for the wings.

So will Australia play a different game and surprise the Welsh with a more defensive gameplan and look to take advantage of mistakes and seek advantage on the counter attack? Or will they go toe to toe with what the Welsh throw at them and try to make this an open game which normally they excel at? Going to be fascinating to see which tactics they employ. If there are any more injuries, it could well spell major trouble for the Wobblies. Then again, they are masters at hiding their weaknesses and making the most of their strengths. They are 3N champs and more than hold their own against SA and NZ.

i agree , for all their weakness and their small player base they've always gone toe to toe with the best
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 28, 2012 8:22 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Although i dont think that Wales will in Australia. But lets be honest this is the best chance Wales have of beating Australia. Probably the Best chance in the History of Welsh rugby.

But i would not write them off either.

Wales beat Australia a few times before madge.

maestegmafia

Maybe i did not get my message across properly. Doh

So i will try and do it now, when i said that i would not write them off either. I was actualy talking about NOT WRITING WALES OFF.

I was trying to pay Wales a compliment. But you could not see that. could you? Whistle

Probably because it is so incredibly unusual for you to do so.

Where as you thinking Wales had never beaten Australia was equally predictable.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:What I find interesting with the likely line up is that Australia's potent backline looks a bit... toothless really. Take Beale and JOC or their equivalents out of any side and there's no surpise. Cooper is not in any great form and 12 options don't inspire me with any confidence. It gets a lot better on the wings with Vuna and Ioane but you need your inside chain to create that space first for the wings.

i agree , for all their weakness and their small player base they've always gone toe to toe with the best

According to the IRB they have 297389 registered players which is a lot more than most. They only have less of a player base than SA, England and France. I don't think that's small. What weaknesses do you refer to? Finance? Because I bet they get a lot more than most up North.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon May 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Morgan apart from the Super rugby setup they have no sustainable professional domestic competition.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought a while back but KRD told me otherwise.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon May 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Morgan I confirmed with Line Breaker whether their Shute Shield (the club competition below Super rugby) is professional and this was his response.

Semi professional. It's simply the Premier Grade competition for Sydney which has been going for over 100 years, BB.

They're generally amateurs, students, youngsters just out of school, etc but with some old heads (professionals) as well coming back into the mix when the international fixtures are over.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon May 28, 2012 10:05 pm

And doesn't each City or Provincial area have their own club competition ? That sounds similar to the Welsh set-up (our Premiership feeding the Regions), but both play all season.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon May 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Yeah, it sounds like it. But it is all only semi pro at best.

Australia tried a few years ago to set up a professional club system but it didn't work.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 28, 2012 10:13 pm

The welsh prem is semi pro. It's all very similar.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Is the NPC and curry cup all pro like the championship in England?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon May 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Yes, Currie Cup is fully pro for the 8 teams involved in it, the 6 teams below in the Currie Cup B league that are on much lower contracts though, and our third tier the Vodacom is semi pro.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 am

Morgannwg wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

According to the IRB they have 297389 registered players which is a lot more than most. They only have less of a player base than SA, England and France. I don't think that's small. What weaknesses do you refer to? Finance? Because I bet they get a lot more than most up North.

That figure seems incredibly high.

I remember not long ago it was 42,000 (AIS figures 2009?). Then when I checked about a year later it was around 90,000. They must be including women's rugby in there. 300,000 is a lot of players. I live in the heartland of rugby in this country and I can safely say that football (soccer) has more participants across all age groups, etc judging from what I see every weekend in the dozen or so parks in a 2 mile radius around where I am the lower north shore.

I've just checked... that figure is for Registered and Unregistered players. Only 1425 women players compared to England's 562,000! Wink

pre teen (male) 151,000
Teen (male) 87,000
Senior (male) 58,000

I just think those combined (registered + unregistered players) figures are over-inflated and overlapping.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue May 29, 2012 2:58 am

The Wallabies have an issue with goal kicking now as well. I don't think Cooper should be asked to kick, so Barnes or Harris will now need to be on the pitch. White also kicks a little for the Brumbies, but is never first choice and wouldn't start ahead of Genia.

My attempts at being selector for the first week:

v Scotland / v Wales
Slipper / Robinson
Polota-Nau / Moore
Palmer / Kepu
Timani / Douglas
Simmons / Sharpe
Dennis / Higginbotham
Hooper / Pocock
McCalman / Palu
White / Genia
Barnes / Cooper
Tomane / Ioane
Harris / Barnes
aFaingaa / AAC
Shipperley / McCabe
Mogg / Morahan

sFaingaa / TPN
Alexander / Alexander
Pyle / Pyle
Higginbotham / Dennis
Phipps / White
Horne / Harris
Foley / Foley

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue May 29, 2012 3:28 am

If we've got 300,000 registered players I'll eat my hat. The ARU likes to be seen as being competitive with the NRL and AFL so you can bet that figure has been massaged to within an inch of its life (double counting, counting them before they're pinched by NRL clubs, 'accidential' extra zero, etc). The figures [here] paint a very different story which are closer to what I'd always believed we had.

Either way, there's probably not much between Wales, NZ, and Aus in terms of player base. The big difference is in the structures in place and the level of interest in the game. I've stopped going out to pubs to watch games because I'm sick of having to beg them to put the game on and when they do it's usually on a screen tucked away at the back of the pub with the sound off. Once, I was even asked 'What's rugby union? Is that rugby league?'... unbelievable, and I live in Queensland a supposed rugby heartland. Would that ever happen in Wales or NZ? If we've got so many players, I'd love to know where they all are.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue May 29, 2012 3:43 am

I have had exactly the same experience in pubs in Sydney, FC.

The barmaid flicks through the channels... and then says "there you are..." (cowboys v roosters or something!) steam

That graphic is more realistic. 40,000 registered male players seems about right.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 am

Amazingly I do find we have pubs here that prefer watching a Warriors match over the Hurricanes in Wellington. League has a bigger spectator following than I think we realise in NZ. Theyre a much louder lot too. Anyone watching the State of origin at a pub will know what I mean.

Not as bad as Oz but its definitely got viewer numbers here.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue May 29, 2012 4:48 am

LB, it's maddening isn't it? And after she puts the Roosters Cowboys game on she just walks away, job done. Then you have to go get her again and ask her to have another crack at it. Taylorman, I'll ask you not to poke holes in my flimsy arguments in future, thanks.

Boomer, that's not a bad arrangement you've got there. I forgot about Kepu. I was wondering what Dingo might do with Sharpie. I though maybe pair him with a debutante in the Scotland game but he might get the gig V Wales given no Horwil. Has McCabe got the wheels to be on the wing?

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue May 29, 2012 6:31 am

FC - I was expecting a Horwill / Rookie (probably Pyle) partnership as well and then Sharpie with Douglas or Fardy against Scotland. With Horwill gone (reports on him dont sound so good today?), I think they will need to split Simmons and Sharpe as they are the only two with any test experience. Simmons and Sharpe are then a bit light weight against good packs like Scotland and Wales, so will need a bit of grunt added. Douglas still needs to develop a bit, but looks alright to me. Timani was a real suprise selection I thought, but he is massive, so seem the better option as a grunt than Pyle and Neville.

I don't think McCabe is particularly quick, but I remembered he was a wing until the early games of last season and he won our Rookie of the Year in 2010 as a wing.

My preferred 12 would now be Taps, but with him out and Quade only just back, I think we need to offer QC a backup playmaker and a goal kicker. Unfortunately McCabe isnt either of these so it becomes Barnes or Harris. Harris is a better goalkick, but I personally think Barnes makes a good job of 12, he is just a bad, bad primary decision maker. Let him kick and he will.

I'd really like them to play AAC at 13 not fullback, and McCabe is a sh*t kick, which leaves Morahan / Mogg / Foley at FB and they would all benefit from steady hands nearby. McCabe is very realiable in my view, and I think he is a remarkably tough guy who has improved his game a lot this year. Shipperley and Tomane probably better wings, but I'd want McCabe in the game and wing was the only place I had left Smile

That's all very long winded isnt it! And I'd still bet the house AAC plays wing or fullback with Horne or aFaingaa at 13.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 am

Not as bad as first seemed... some good news at last!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/good-news-for-wallabies-beale-may-play-against-wales-20120529-1zgno.html

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue May 29, 2012 7:50 am

Can't disagree with anything you've got there Boomer. If Timani could put his bulk to better use he could make a great lock one day. From memory he had a mare against Samoa last year for his first cap.

If you had Morahan, Digby, and Shipperly at the back you'd have an all Reds back 3 so communication shouldn't be a problem but it would be taking a risk having 2 debutantes back there.

If Dingo's happy with a 70% strike rate then I'd just let Quade take the kicks. If he wants 80-90% then he's going to have to find a spot for Harris. I could settle for Barnes at 12 as long as he's barred from kicking out of hand and publicly whipped if he ever does.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue May 29, 2012 7:57 am

Linebreaker wrote:Not as bad as first seemed... some good news at last!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/good-news-for-wallabies-beale-may-play-against-wales-20120529-1zgno.html
...now if we can just get JOC a new liver

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 am

Is it not a lacerated kidney?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 am

No mate, I think it's the liver.

[link]

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue May 29, 2012 8:07 am

Ah, ok, a liver does tend to take long to heal, best to be safe then, after all you only have one of them, and spares are hard to come by.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue May 29, 2012 8:10 am

and Horwill - a synthetic hamstring... Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue May 29, 2012 8:11 am

They could always implant a bungee chord, all that kinetic energy might just cuase him to pull something else, but at least he'll have some serious hamstrings. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue May 29, 2012 8:16 am

biltongbek wrote:Ah, ok, a liver does tend to take long to heal, best to be safe then, after all you only have one of them, and spares are hard to come by.
Especially ones in good nick from this part of the world. cider

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue May 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Why not start Morahan and Shipperly against Scotland? Their backline hasn't been the most potent and it would be good experience for them. If they are any good then start them against Wales.

I'm not sure who we are missing for the series, apart from Roberts. J Davies and S Williams (our other centres) are injury concerns and I'm not sure of the progress they are making. Ashley Beck will hopefully get the nod, a reward for his outstanding form. AWJ and Charteris were one of the best 2nd row partnerships in the world cup. But I'd go with the Ospreys 2nd row of AWJ and Ian Evans; that has potential to become an even greater partnership, possibly one of the best. Both will miss the first test against Aus though due to a pair of weddings I believe. Alun can make it, but it will likely be a bench spot as he will miss a few training sessions.

Apart from that I think we are pretty good. Aus have suffered with this injury crisis since the world cup and it only seems to be getting worse Crying or Very sad.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue May 29, 2012 5:24 pm

There's endless possible combinations Deans could go with, comes with the territory of having a team of 'utility' backs I suppose. It really depends where AAC fits in (if at all). If he wants him at 15 against Wales then he might start Morahan at 15 for the Scotland game, otherwise I can't see him fitting in anywhere else in the backline other than maybe on the wing but we've got enough cover there.

I don't think anyone's really got a clue what our backline will look like yet other than Genia at half and Digby on the wing.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Sometimes injuries can have a reverse effect. They galvanise a squad and the opposition becomes complacent. It's only natural to look at names like Beale (hopefully not), JOC etc off the list and think maybe this is going to be easier than we thought.

Look at England before the 6N. Loads of injuries and experienced guys out of the squad. Maybe other teams dropped their guard a little and thought they could be pushovers.

I'm not denying losing those players is a big blow to Australia. But I would never write those blokes off either. They have a special confidence chip that believes they can take on any team in the world and whoever gets picked for this side will be a competitive unit. If the Wales players don't prepare mentally for this first test, then I think they could be surprised. And then you face an Aussie side brimming with confidence. AAGH a horrible thought!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 pm

A horrible thought indeed! Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 am

Hi LB. Gregans come out saying oz are closing the gap on NZ, mainly basing it on the 3N final last year. Is that the general feeling or is this likely a ramped up pre wales comment. Just odd timing i thought with the sxv standings, injuries and all.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed May 30, 2012 7:00 am

There isn't much of a gap anywhere between the SH three in the first instance anyway.

NZ has had the most trophy wins in the Tri Nations, but have always been pulled back by either OZ or SA.

That is what made the Tri Nations so interesting, you would expect NZ to take it, and between SA and OZ they would alternate to have a real blow out season every now and then, but half the time they were up there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed May 30, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Taylorman,
Gregan of course will talk up our chances but to be honest... like you say... it's hard to back that up given our current situation.

If anything, I reckon Australia is exposed across a few positions with those injuries and will have lost some cohesion obviously. Confidence helps but that's no guarantee for success at this level. Arguably, there are deficiencies which are open to exploitation but I'm hoping we can hold our own at least and come away with wins.

We should account for Scotland (it will be closer than my SG tip maybe) but Wales could certainly give us a nasty wake up call.
I'm slightly worried that this gap (Oz-Wales) has narrowed I and just hope that there is no complacency - otherwise we will pay dearly on the scoreboard.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 am

You have memories of Samoa to eradicate any complacency LB. Wouldn't be surprised if Deans put a Manu Samoa jersey in the locker room as a reminder.

The big problem for Australia I think is the 10 12 axis. You have a lot of talent further out but unless whoever plays there play with confidence and authority, the big attacking weapons will be underutilised and more pressure goes on the pack which will tire them out more.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 pm

Baa baas team seems a good guide to the Ozzie touring party. Ryan jones Evans and AWJ the only regulars in the team.

Looks like those in the squad anounced a week ago not I. The baa bass team are likely already on the plane to Sydney.

Hopi g to see beck and jd2 in the centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 am

biltongbek wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Beale is out. What a shame, because now all we will hear is how we only beat Australia B should we win a test match.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0528/1224316806839.html

He's out for a month so would probably miss the series.

Morgannwg mate some people do nothing but criticise anything welsh on here. Leave them to it, the more they continue the more ridiculous they look.

True Maes, especially if he pre empts it all the time. Rolling Eyes

Come on I doubt we'll hear that.Wales would have to win for a start Wink

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu May 31, 2012 12:25 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Beale is out. What a shame, because now all we will hear is how we only beat Australia B should we win a test match.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0528/1224316806839.html

He's out for a month so would probably miss the series.

Morgannwg mate some people do nothing but criticise anything welsh on here. Leave them to it, the more they continue the more ridiculous they look.

True Maes, especially if he pre empts it all the time. Rolling Eyes

Come on I doubt we'll hear that.Wales would have to win for a start Wink

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Nono
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu May 31, 2012 12:30 am

All these emoticons are making me

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 62810

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu May 31, 2012 12:33 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:All these emoticons are making me

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 62810

Latest Build up for the Wales summer tour to Australia. TEAMS ANNOUNCED...!!! - Page 2 Yikes
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Plenty of competition for Rhys Priestland with both Biggar and Hook claiming to want his ten shirt.

Great news for Wales to have competition for places. The only position where there aren't a couple of lads genuinely fighting it out is Tighthead Prop, where Adam Jones is recognised as one of the best around.

Some positions are now close to having three lads fighting for a place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18270763

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Yeah quite a change from the days when Preistland Jones Biggar and Hook were fighting it out for the 10 shirt Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next