The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One thing I don't understand..

+31
LordDowlais
Solid8
Geordie
malky1963
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Irish Londoner
Portnoy's Complaint
doctornickolas
Poorfour
Scrumpy
lostinwales
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
St John The Enforcer
ChequeredJersey
The Saint
Dubbelyew L Overate
mbernz
Notch
Pot Hale
Casartelli
broadlandboy
stub
HammerofThunor
nathan
emack2
Metal Tiger
TJ
doddieman
Biltong
35 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

One thing I don't understand.. - Page 5 Empty One thing I don't understand..

Post by Biltong Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

According to scrum.com the IRB has to approve the new tournament the NLR and PRL is setting up.

The Celtic Unions and Italian rugby union said they will only join a tournament that is sanctioned by the IRB.

Essentially the big difference I see is the French and English wants to have a club run tournament, and the powers that be says it has to be union run.

What is the difference and why is it an issue?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

One thing I don't understand.. - Page 5 Empty Re: One thing I don't understand..

Post by broadlandboy Mon 30 Sep 2013, 11:57 pm

So that there are competitive matches & not walk overs.Have you looked at the PRL/LNR proposals as one of them is that Rabo/PRL/LNR teams all get the same for participation regardless of which competition they are in

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

One thing I don't understand.. - Page 5 Empty Re: One thing I don't understand..

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 01 Oct 2013, 12:53 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:One thing I don't understand. Why does there have to be tiers? One European Cup for the top pro sides in all 6 Nations. Or more nations if that's even feasible. And every team gets an equal slice of the TV money giving everyone a stable (and equal) financial outlook despite the ups and downs on the field.

Why the insistence on separating it into tiers and giving more money to the big boys?
Words fail me.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 01 Oct 2013, 1:33 am

broadlandboy wrote:So that there are competitive matches & not walk overs.Have you looked at the PRL/LNR proposals as one of them is that Rabo/PRL/LNR teams all get the same for participation regardless of which competition they are in
What?? Never heard that. I think that should be the way whether we keep the HC or we end up in the club run thing.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 01 Oct 2013, 1:35 am

Oh and there will always be competitive matches in the latter stages because the cream rises to the top. And competitive matches in the early stages along with some wipeouts. And upsets and giant killings for us romantics.

Like the All Ireland Football Championship or the FA Cup in England. Everyone has a shot at the title.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 01 Oct 2013, 7:57 am

That was the Pro2 proposal - a 32 team  european cup.  in the group stages it would be seeded, then split into cup , bowl and shield.  Everyone gets a chance at winning, its a true meritocracy without the handicaps built into the PRL proposals.  You would get mismatches in the groups tho.  a bit like the WC does

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 01 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:One thing I don't understand. Why does there have to be tiers? One European Cup for the top pro sides in all 6 Nations. Or more nations if that's even feasible. And every team gets an equal slice of the TV money giving everyone a stable (and equal) financial outlook despite the ups and downs on the field.

Why the insistence on separating it into tiers and giving more money to the big boys?
From what little we have seen, it looks like the PRL/LNR have proposed an equal distribution of money by league, which would allow the relevant unions to distribute the cash equally to all teams if they so wished. This is essentially what the PRL does with its own share of ERC revenue today. Separation into tiers is not about money.

The need for tiers is twofold - the first one is logistics. You couldn't cram a 38-team tournament into the season while still ensuring a minimum number of home games for each team (which is important for everyone. Home gates = money). The second one is to make the flagship competition more competitive - if everyone has to qualify for the tournament through their domestic league, the games will be more evenly matched and therefore worth more overall. There would also be a better mix of teams in the second tier, which would increase its value over time.

If the money is (or could be - I bet Connacht would still get less than their brethren) equal, then the only reasons not to support more meritocracy are pride or because the club game is seen as little more than a warm up for internationals.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Tue 01 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Like the All Ireland Football Championship or the FA Cup in England. Everyone has a shot at the title.
Except Mayo Laugh

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5