The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Phillips on the booze again

+37
wayne
formerly known as Sam
Kingshu
Coleman
maestegmafia
The Saint
lostinwales
doctor_grey
Artful_Dodger
bedfordwelsh
wrfc1980
Breadvan
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
munkian
Hound of Harrow
XR
BigTrevsbigmac
MrsP
Intotouch
Cyril
ScarletSpiderman
Casartelli
Scrumpy
rodders
SecretFly
GunsGerms
whocares
quinsforever
TJ
Big
thebandwagonsociety
George Carlin
Comfort
VietGwentRevisited
Submachine
Luckless Pedestrian
Rugby Fan
41 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 3 Empty Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 21 Oct 2013, 8:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mike Phillips, scrum-half for Bayonne and Wales, faces action for being 'drunk' during a training session

Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips in trouble with club Bayonne following his alleged drunkeness during a video analysis session

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 3 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:45 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Neither SS he just needs to grow up & act more professionally. I suspect it requires more than a flea in his ear though.
Yeah I agree to be honest, but you know this place,  two far extremes arguing and refusing to accept there is a middle ground.
Too true OK 

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 3 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Cut the needless school yard stuff please.  Lets just stick to whether Mike Phillips is the devil incarnate, a raging alcoholic and in need of banning for life from rugby, or if he is just a poor west walian that is getting needlessly victimised by the press.
He has clear issues with alchol and needs to face up to this via treatment, counselling and testing if needed. How many unsavoury incidents has he been invloved in thru booze? I would deal with it a a health issue not disciplinary if he will engage with this

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:57 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Cut the needless school yard stuff please.  Lets just stick to whether Mike Phillips is the devil incarnate, a raging alcoholic and in need of banning for life from rugby, or if he is just a poor west walian that is getting needlessly victimised by the press.
How big is his rap sheet? I know he has been in trouble and diciplined before by Bayonne but he isnt that bad is he?

He probably is a bit of a wayward character but he has sufficient dicipline to become a Lion which is no small feat so Im sure there will be plenty of clubs that would take him on.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:06 pm

TJ wrote:
He has clear issues with alchol and needs to face up to this via treatment, counselling and testing if needed. How many unsavoury incidents has he been invloved in thru booze?  I would deal with it a a health issue not disciplinary if he will engage with this
A 'far extreme' view?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

As GG said re Leinster; the Wasps boys usually have a few beers after a game. On Euro away trips the supporters representative amongst the players will often find out which bar the fans are going to and join us after the game.

But turning up for training whilst still drunk is not on.

I am pretty sure many teams allow the players to have a few beers post match. And I'm also pretty sure that many clubs would keep a lid on such an incident and deal with it privately.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

Reminds me of an ol' country tune - yes sir:

On the booze again,
Just can't wait to get on the booze again,
The life I love is making trouble with my friends,
And I can't wait to get on the booze again.

On the booze again,
Going places in my head that I've never been,
Seeing things that I never may see sober again,
And I can't wait to get on the booze again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:As GG said re Leinster; the Wasps boys usually have a few beers after a game. On Euro away trips the supporters representative amongst the players will often find out which bar the fans are going to and join us after the game.

I am pretty sure many teams allow the players to have a few beers post match. And I'm also pretty sure that many clubs would keep a lid on such an incident and deal with it privately.
I agree, but turning up to the office with a hangover isn't as bad, is it? (which this was - video analysis session, rather than physical training session).

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:37 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:As GG said re Leinster; the Wasps boys usually have a few beers after a game. On Euro away trips the supporters representative amongst the players will often find out which bar the fans are going to and join us after the game.

100%

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:44 pm

Casartelli wrote:A 'far extreme' view?
argumentum ad absurdum
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:45 pm

Griff wrote:

I agree, but turning up to the office with a hangover isn't as bad, is it?  (which this was - video analysis session, rather than physical training session).
I think it was VietGwent (who was translating from the French article link posted on the last page) who said the two NZers were 'cleared for training' in the afternoon (which suggests Phillips wasn't).

Apols if I'm 'misquoting' anyone.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:48 pm

Griff wrote:

I agree, but turning up to the office with a hangover isn't as bad, is it?  (which this was - video analysis session, rather than physical training session).
The problem is still the definaition of 'drunk' as being hungover means that your stuffering from the effects of alcohol still, and as such could still be 'drunk'. A fair few people would fail the breath test even though they would class themselves as only 'hungover' when technically they are 'drunk'. It is one of those grey areas of definition.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:48 pm

Cyril wrote:
Griff wrote:

I think it was VietGwent (who was translating from the French article link posted on the last page) who said the two NZers were 'cleared for training' in the afternoon (which suggests Phillips wasn't).

Apols if I'm 'misquoting' anyone.
you are correct

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

Ah Griff, I'm sure many companies would tolerate people turning up with a hangover every now and again. In my last place you could be disciplined for that.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

You have got to imagine that French rugby players also have a wee tipple after a game so this must have been beyond what is acceptable at Bayonne. Difficult to imagine that Bayonne have an unusually strict policy with regards to alcohol.

Also, on the Leinster front. Wasn't it BOD who didn't want to join the SAs for a few post match beers after the tests which lead to some...comments from Jon Smit?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

MrsP wrote:You have got to imagine that French rugby players also have a wee tipple after a game so this must have been beyond what is acceptable at Bayonne. Difficult to imagine that Bayonne have an unusually strict policy with regards to alcohol.

Also, on the Leinster front. Wasn't it BOD who didn't want to join the SAs for a few post match beers after the tests which lead to some...comments from Jon Smit?
From my very remote memory of that MrsP.. (and I'll admit it really is extremely sketchy at this point) I think that ungentlemanly behavior on BOD's part had to do with some ungentlemanly behavior on the part of SA (either in a game or outside one) I might be thinking of a completely different incident and it might not have been BOD at all, and it might not have been SA!!! - BUT, I seem to recall something like that now that I hear you mention it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:35 pm

Can we agree it was at least in a rugby context since neither one of us seems to have the faintest ideas of the details!

Very Happy 

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:50 pm

MrsP wrote:You have got to imagine that French rugby players also have a wee tipple after a game so this must have been beyond what is acceptable at Bayonne. Difficult to imagine that Bayonne have an unusually strict policy with regards to alcohol.

Can you expand on that? Clearly that was on Ireland duty and not after a Leinster match though I have seen BOD in the pub plenty of times to know he has the odd pint every now and then. At one point he was getting councelling about 8 years ago during a crisis of confidence and his councellor actually advised him to have a few pints every now and then if I remember correctly.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:07 pm

Well, given that I am not at all sure...

My memory was that it happened during the Lion's Tour to SA. You may remember there were a few points of controversy (gouging on Luke Fitz, Justice4Bakkies, etc) and some of the players were more vocal about issues than others. I seem to recall Smid having a go at BOD because the Lions would not join the Boks in the changing rooms for a couple of beers after one of the tests???

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

MrsP is right about the overall idea that SA were offended by a non-attendance.................the rest is a blur.................... even the SA bit!... though I do think MrsP is right about Smit...so it must have been SA

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:10 pm

MrsP wrote:Well, given that I am not at all sure...

My memory was that it happened during the Lion's Tour to SA. You may remember there were a few points of controversy (gouging on Luke Fitz, Justice4Bakkies, etc) and some of the players were more vocal about issues than others. I seem to recall Smid having a go at BOD because the Lions would not join the Boks in the changing rooms for a couple of beers after one of the tests???

Yeah, it's all coming back to me... that sounds like a genuine memory to me now too.............. amidst the fog of booze I'm currently drinking.......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:26 pm

You should be safe enough Secret!

Your employers are only likely to notice if your productivity or quality of work drops. If you're plastered all the time sure they'll not notice!!

Very Happy 

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

The brutal reality, I'm afraid, is that I drink about one bottle of wine............................ a year - possibly two if the Christmas season is highly social!  

I know, I know......... I have a problem. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:04 pm

Ok - the Lions thing is slightly off topic but, to jog your memories...

http://m.news24.com/sport24/Rugby/BoksOnTour/Boks-drinks-offer-declined-20091123

I'm not surpised; Castle Lager is cack Shocked

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 5:12 pm

Maybe the invitation into dressing rooms scares the Irish lads....
maybe they think more than beer will be offered to them....
maybe they hadn't said their prayers....
maybe everyone should find his own bar of soap.....
maybe just shake hands...
maybe just wash your hands before shaking....

There are many reasons a warm saunafied beer might be out of the question.......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:38 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's sorta relevant (though rugby of the flat cap and whippet variety).

Gareth Hock has told the BBC that he does not think his breach of discipline was serious enough for him to be removed from England's World Cup squad.
The forward, 30, said he and some team-mates went on a night out after England's surprise defeat by Italy.
Hock overslept the next morning, missing a recovery session, and was informed of his dismissal in a phone conversation with coach Steve McNamara.
"For missing a 10-minute swim - I think it's out of order really," said Hock.
"I agree that it was wrong and we shouldn't have had a drink, but there were six or seven of us and we all did the same thing," he told BBC North West Tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24641559

Mind you, they had just lost to Italy, a game many expected them to win by a cricket score. Sad

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:46 pm

Losing to Italy?? Isn't that a firing squad these days?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:Losing to Italy??  Isn't that a firing squad these days?
It's worse than that. They've got to play the Aussies Shocked 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:31 pm

Cyril wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's sorta relevant (though rugby of the flat cap and whippet variety).

Gareth Hock has told the BBC that he does not think his breach of discipline was serious enough for him to be removed from England's World Cup squad.
The forward, 30, said he and some team-mates went on a night out after England's surprise defeat by Italy.
Hock overslept the next morning, missing a recovery session, and was informed of his dismissal in a phone conversation with coach Steve McNamara.
"For missing a 10-minute swim - I think it's out of order really," said Hock.
"I agree that it was wrong and we shouldn't have had a drink, but there were six or seven of us and we all did the same thing," he told BBC North West Tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24641559

Mind you, they had just lost to Italy, a game many expected them to win by a cricket score. Sad
there once was a leaguer named hock,
who got hammered, i know its a shock Smile,
thing was he was playing,
league for england is what we're saying,
just proving he's a total banana

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:04 pm

He has been sacked. Effective saturday. Should go back to a Welsh region.
http://m.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2013-2014/top-14-aviron-bayonnais-mike-phillips-licencie_sto3977721/story.shtml

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:06 pm

Welcome home Mikey P ! RedWine

PS Bring Alled Brew home too, diolch !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:Losing to Italy??  Isn't that a firing squad these days?
Italy is pretty much an Australia A squad With every polayer currently in the NRL

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:18 pm

Sounds similar to Ice cube gate with Gavlar - Bayonne were performing poorly and wanted him off the pay packet
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:20 pm

Mike Phillips to London Irish to give JOC a real drinking partner? Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:26 pm

Danny Care and Beale are waiting for leaving do invites mug guinness RedWine
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:27 pm

Can any region afford him?

...and his drinks rider?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:29 pm

Mucho over-reaction from Bayonne, methinks. Sacré bleu.

Unless Phillips casually said "Just sack me, guys. There's nothing I can do for you - drunk or sober. You're f**ked"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 6:03 pm

whocares wrote:He has been sacked. Effective saturday. Should go back to a Welsh region.
http://m.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2013-2014/top-14-aviron-bayonnais-mike-phillips-licencie_sto3977721/story.shtml
Who will take him?  At least he should be cheap as he is out of contract and I can't imagine many teams will be after him given his record

SecretFly wrote:Mucho over-reaction from Bayonne, methinks. Sacré bleu.

Unless Phillips casually said "Just sack me, guys. There's nothing I can do for you - drunk or sober. You're f**ked"
Its at least the second if not the thrid time being a pished numpty has got him into trouble over there

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 6:14 pm

A nasty petulant arrogant peice of work is Philips when drunk. I've a friend who experienced this first hand in a club in swansea

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Oct 2013, 6:17 pm

Posted on the Welsh International thread but will ask here as well, should Gatland now drop him from the Welsh squad or should club and country be kept seperate?

I know what I would do.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 6:23 pm

Lancaster moved quickly with Danny cares drunken antics and dropped him for a cople of games to teach him a lesson. It will be interesting to see what gatland does. One thing is for sure he will be furious as mike has put him in a awkward spot.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 6:23 pm

Has he been a pished idiot on International duty? I wouldn't drop him for this ( but then I wouldn't play him anyway)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Lancaster moved quickly with Danny cares drunken antics and dropped him for a cople of games to teach him a lesson. It will be interesting to see what gatland does. One thing is for sure he will be furious as mike has put him in a awkward spot.
Thats what I would do, drop him for the Boks game and make it publicly known that is why he's been dropped then see what his attitude is like and how he reacts in camp.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 24 Oct 2013, 7:32 pm

Gatland had already come out (straight after it happened) and said he was leaving it up to Bayonne to discipline but that he would be having a quiet word with Phillips when he joined up with the squad.

Maybe this latest move (Phillips' sacking) will change his view?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:01 pm

Perhaps he got sacked on purpose (or asked to be sacked) so that he can get one of them there juicy central contracts the WRU are dangling out of the window of WRU-HQ.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:09 pm

Some people think this is harsh, but if any of us turned up to work hammered I think we could expect the same, why should Philipp's be any different?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:16 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Some people think this is harsh, but if any of us turned up to work hammered I think we could expect the same, why should Philipp's be any different?
Em...because I guarantee you he isn't the first rugby player to arrive drunk...and he won't be the last? How about that as a reason?

Phillips was knocked out for other reasons... namely being at the bottom requires a blame game to start. Phillips will probably be accused of being the figure that was spoiling the happy journey to the top of Top14 Wink Well, until that doesn't work as an excuse and then someone else will fall......... namely the coach.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Some people think this is harsh, but if any of us turned up to work hammered I think we could expect the same, why should Philipp's be any different?
Em...because I guarantee you he isn't the first rugby player to arrive drunk...and he won't be the last?  How about that as a reason?

Phillips was knocked out for other reasons... namely being at the bottom requires a blame game to start.  Phillips will probably be accused of being the figure that was spoiling the happy journey to the top of Top14 Wink Well, until that doesn't work as an excuse and then someone else will fall......... namely the coach.
To be fair the fact that other players have done it is a pretty poor reason to say you shouldn't be sacked for this sort of misconduct.  You're making a lot of assumption about why he was really sacked.  Maybe the reason Bayonne are at the bottom is cause they have some of their highest paid players are turning up to work pi$$ed?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:22 pm

Remeber its not his first alcohol induced issue in France - and far from his first in his career. He was warned at least once before about his drunken stupidity. Of course he was sacked for being a drunken idiot.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:31 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Em...because I guarantee you he isn't the first rugby player to arrive drunk...and he won't be the last?  How about that as a reason?

Phillips was knocked out for other reasons... namely being at the bottom requires a blame game to start.  Phillips will probably be accused of being the figure that was spoiling the happy journey to the top of Top14 Wink Well, until that doesn't work as an excuse and then someone else will fall......... namely the coach.
To be fair the fact that other players have done it is a pretty poor reason to say you shouldn't be sacked for this sort of misconduct.  You're making a lot of assumption about why he was really sacked.  Maybe the reason Bayonne are at the bottom is cause they have some of their highest paid players are turning up to work pi$$ed?
You think? Makes you wonder why only one of their highest paid pished players was sacked then? No?

Artful, I don't want to get into a serious rigmaroll about this as to tell the truth it's more a joke to me than an "OH MY Gosh!!!!" twitterspeak over-dramatic issue of International significance. It's a drunk player who was sacked by an unhappy team. He didn't individually drop them where they're at and I regard it as an over-reaction. There you go.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 8:36 pm

Who said he was hammered? Have they released details from the club yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next