The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Phillips on the booze again

+37
wayne
formerly known as Sam
Kingshu
Coleman
maestegmafia
The Saint
lostinwales
doctor_grey
Artful_Dodger
bedfordwelsh
wrfc1980
Breadvan
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
munkian
Hound of Harrow
XR
BigTrevsbigmac
MrsP
Intotouch
Cyril
ScarletSpiderman
Casartelli
Scrumpy
rodders
SecretFly
GunsGerms
whocares
quinsforever
TJ
Big
thebandwagonsociety
George Carlin
Comfort
VietGwentRevisited
Submachine
Luckless Pedestrian
Rugby Fan
41 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 4 Empty Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 21 Oct 2013, 8:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mike Phillips, scrum-half for Bayonne and Wales, faces action for being 'drunk' during a training session

Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips in trouble with club Bayonne following his alleged drunkeness during a video analysis session

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 4 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:04 pm

The latest BBC report says that his club have not yet decided on his fate, and that they are annoyed with media reports stating that he's been sacked.

More internet vigilantism?

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 4 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by MrsP Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:08 pm

The beeb are saying that no decision has yet been taken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24660444

Mind you, I seem to recall Toulon saying the same thing about Henson just before they sacked him?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:18 pm

MrsP wrote:The beeb are saying that no decision has yet been taken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24660444

Mind you, I seem to recall Toulon saying the same thing about Henson just before they sacked him?
laughing Yeah, stop being a troublemaker, MrsP!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:24 pm

Me???

What did I do???

Innocent as a very innocent thing me!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:27 pm

It was quoted on BBC Wales that French law says he cannot be sacked until 48hrs after a written warning.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:33 pm

There is some 48hr rule right enough but the hearing was Tuesday so the 48 hours would be up now. Unless they didn't write to him immediately?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

Unless he ate the first one (written warning) and they had to resend it - for legal purposes. Keep eating them, Mike! ...you might make it to the end of your real contract.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:48 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:It was quoted on BBC Wales that French law says he cannot be sacked until 48hrs after a written warning.
In French? Or Welsh?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:50 pm

Maybe Mike hasnt got the boot then. He might be water-boy this weekend for a change Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:51 pm

Ulster are badly in need of someone to clean Ruan Pienaar's boots if Phillips needs a job.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:54 pm

whocares wrote:Maybe Mike hasnt got the boot then. He might be water-boy this weekend for a change Smile
Nice one. Fill the waterbottles with Vodka and get everyone sacked.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:01 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Ulster are badly in need of someone to clean Ruan Pienaar's boots if Phillips needs a job.
Many would say he is not fit for this job.

Very Happy 

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:17 am

original french article says he will be notified by letter to his home on saturday. that sounds a bit too specific to me to be untrue. i bet he's a goner come saturday.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 25 Oct 2013, 2:12 am

SecretFly wrote:
whocares wrote:Maybe Mike hasnt got the boot then. He might be water-boy this weekend for a change Smile
Nice one.  Fill the waterbottles with Vodka and get everyone sacked.
I prefer gin with the barest whisper of vermouth and a few olives.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 25 Oct 2013, 9:01 am

Shaken, right?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 25 Oct 2013, 5:10 pm

MrsP wrote:Shaken, right?
Exactly. NOT STIRRED!!!!!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 25 Oct 2013, 5:49 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24677965

Shane Williams says 'Mikes commitment to Bayonne cannot be questioned'picard 

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 25 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24677965

Well at least not when he has been drinking too much, obviously

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

According to a Frenchman, he's been Bayonne's best player this season. Unlike you to whinge and not add anything, like own perspective or something relevant to a disucssion now is it? Whistle 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:02 pm

either his commitment or his judgment is terrible. if you put yourself in a vulnerable position, getting shafted is always a possibility.

i dont think anyone's questioning mike's commitment to getting wazzed though.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:13 pm

Oh dear talk about selective reading from the usuals who love to jump on any bandwagon if it means they get to slag off Mike...

Shane said
Mike's commitment to the club cannot be questioned having played over 70 games in two-and-a-half seasons.
No doubt that Mike is commited to playing for club until the end of his contract. He has even missed Wales duty so he could feature for Bayonne. If he departed then it wouldn't be a bad thing, as they could either be relegated at the end of the season or merged with Biarritz into some new Basque Region team. I don't think there is any room for him at the Welsh Region's who each have a couple good No.9's, except perhaps Cardiff who only have one. I'm sure a few Franglo teams wouldn't mind his signature either.

There is also this:
Team-mates Dwayne Haare and Stephen Brett also had to answer allegations at that meeting, and were fined but not suspended.
Doesn't seem like there is much publicity on that front. Let's all blame Mike eh, his face fits!

Last edited by The Saint on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Specified difference between 'Regions')

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:27 pm

The Saint wrote:

According to a Frenchman, he's been Bayonne's best player this season. Unlike you to whinge and not add anything, like own perspective or something relevant to a disucssion now is it? Whistle 
Ale guinness cider RedWine Bubbly vomit 

Is this relevant enough for you?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:29 pm

Nothing to do with his "face". Except in the "off his..." sense.

Phillips has had a previous incident on his record so the sanction would be different.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:30 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
The Saint wrote:

No. I'm not sure why you did that. The only purpose it served was to show us your intelligence (or lack of). Again. Stick to match threads, you don't look as bad over there.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:31 pm

MrsP wrote:Nothing to do with his "face". Except in the "off his..." sense.

Phillips has had a previous incident on his record so the sanction would be different.
Be funny, if he was off his face. The reports don't state that.

Was there a previous incident down in Bayonne?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:41 pm

Apparently. About a year ago.

And the "off his face" comment was just a play-on-words although some of the reports do say he was "intoxicated" so...

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:42 pm

The Saint wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
The Saint wrote:

No. I'm not sure why you did that. The only purpose it served was to show us your intelligence (or lack of). Again. Stick to match threads, you don't look as bad over there.
Haha. I think your fighting a one man defence over MP. I'm off out now for a few beers fortunately I haven't a video review appointment in the morning:D

By the way Saint if you are conducting his defence maybe you should be aware of this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9574916/Mike-Phillips-banned-indefinitely-by-furious-Bayonne-president-for-shameful-behaviour.html

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:54 pm

I'm not rushing to his defence Trev... I'm just trying to highlight some relevant stuff... Fans seem to turn ugly when MP is involved which is a shame.

MrsP wrote:Apparently. About a year ago.

And the "off his face" comment was just a play-on-words although some of the reports do say he was "intoxicated" so...
Okay. And yes, it was clever.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:07 pm

Maybe he has a real problem with booze and needs help?
If so, ain't a laughing matter.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:13 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
The Saint wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Haha. I think your fighting a one man defence over MP. I'm off out now for a few beers fortunately I haven't a video review appointment in the morning:D

By the way Saint if you are conducting his defence maybe you should be aware of this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9574916/Mike-Phillips-banned-indefinitely-by-furious-Bayonne-president-for-shameful-behaviour.html
nah, i bet that article was only written cos MP is welsh...biased telegraph an all dat...Doh 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:28 pm

quins, interesting to hear what you think on this? Why was Phillips on the front cover, not Brett or the other one? Can we assume that they were out together the night before?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:54 pm

As I said Saint, it's probably because it's not his first offence?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 25 Oct 2013, 9:08 pm

MrsP wrote:As I said Saint, it's probably because it's not his first offence?
Yes that's the main reason MrsP. The fact that his form for Bayonne hasnt been near what he showed at international level (albeit behind a poor pack) and that he's on a high salary doesnt help his case as well.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:10 pm

There was a comment that the 2 NZ'ers were able to train that day. MP wasnt.

That may have some bearing on the different punishments. Like lots of stuff we talk about its irrelevant anyways. Bayonne management was there and have been working with him (and saw his state) - we didn't. There may be a political edge to stuff but he hasnt helped himself.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:11 pm

The Saint wrote:Oh dear talk about selective reading from the usuals who love to jump on any bandwagon if it means they get to slag off Mike...

Shane said
Mike's commitment to the club cannot be questioned having played over 70 games in two-and-a-half seasons.
No doubt that Mike is commited to playing for club until the end of his contract. He has even missed Wales duty so he could feature for Bayonne. If he departed then it wouldn't be a bad thing, as they could either be relegated at the end of the season or merged with Biarritz into some new Basque Region team. I don't think there is any room for him at the Welsh Region's who each have a couple good No.9's, except perhaps Cardiff who only have one. I'm sure a few Franglo teams wouldn't mind his signature either.

There is also this:
Team-mates Dwayne Haare and Stephen Brett also had to answer allegations at that meeting, and were fined but not suspended.
Doesn't seem like there is much publicity on that front. Let's all blame Mike eh, his face fits!
Ist offense for them - second at least for Phillips

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:13 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Maybe he has a real problem with booze and needs help?
If so, ain't a laughing matter.
Of course he has a real problem with booze - how many times has he got into trouble pi9shed? He is not a classic alcholoic as he doesn't have to drink every day - but he is still a problem drinker as he gets absolutly blasted and gets into fights and generally behaves badly

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:17 pm

Dwayne Haare and Stephen Brett had an excuse.

They both pointed to Mike and said "He made us do it"

Forty pieces of silver for each

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 26 Oct 2013, 12:50 am

TJ, no idea why you've come on and regurgitated what somebody else has said, you do that often. It seems nobody here knows what happened, including yourself. I wouldn't say he has a drink problem either, as it's normality for a lot of people to act stupid and get into trouble after a few drinks, let alone do it once in a blue moon like MP. Though that isn't what this is about, MP apparently turned up to video analysis drunk or hungover and some usual suspects jumped on the bandwagon so they could continue their hate on MP (picking up from the close of the Lions tour I guess).

Also somebody disputed a player not being in any sort of doubt of MP's commitment to his new club, this somebody is one of the usual suspects btw... That is the discussion I was having. It's also interesting to read that Heymans is in a spot of bother, guess that isn't news though because his international team doesn't play in red.

SecretFly, so far that sounds the most likely play of events!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:24 am

The Saint wrote:quins, interesting to hear what you think on this? Why was Phillips on the front cover, not Brett or the other one? Can we assume that they were out together the night before?
presumably because he has already had a disciplinary hearing for this behaviour before? employment law in the UK is similar to France. you get a warning (and in this case a fine) for a first offence. if you do it again, the employer has every right to terminate your contract having followed required process.

anyone who, having been officially warned for certain behaviour by an employer, then repeats that behaviour, is stupid, disrespectful, shows poor judgement, and is obviously not committed to the employer and the rules staff are expected to operate under. this is true of any industry, any employee, anywhere. first offence you get a warning and you know where the boundaries are. zero excuse for you if you get fired for repeating the offence subsequently.

MP doesnt have a leg to stand on (legless - get it?) as he officially apologised to fans via twitter, effectively admitting culpability.

now will you stop defending him, and assuming that anyone who agrees with Bayonne must be either anti-welsh or anti-MP or both?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:33 am

The Saint wrote:TJ, no idea why you've come on and regurgitated what somebody else has said, you do that often. It seems nobody here knows what happened, including yourself. I wouldn't say he has a drink problem either, as it's normality for a lot of people to act stupid and get into trouble after a few drinks, let alone do it once in a blue moon like MP. Though that isn't what this is about, MP apparently turned up to video analysis drunk or hungover and some usual suspects jumped on the bandwagon so they could continue their hate on MP (picking up from the close of the Lions tour I guess).

Also somebody disputed a player not being in any sort of doubt of MP's commitment to his new club, this somebody is one of the usual suspects btw... That is the discussion I was having. It's also interesting to read that Heymans is in a spot of bother, guess that isn't news though because his international team doesn't play in red.

SecretFly, so far that sounds the most likely play of events!
TJ has been on this thread from the beginning, and has maintained an absolutely consistent (if unpopular) line. i imagine he repeats the second offence fact, which i also repeated above, because you seem to refuse to acknowledge it. until you do, TJ and others would have to imagine that you don't or won't understand. there is nothing particularly likeable about MP but thats irrelevant. he messed up badly, twice, and having been warned the first time, is likely to find out tomorrow that he has been fired. shane williams comments are particulary irrelevant given he doesnt play at bayonne so how the hell would he know anything about MP's commitment to the club. having half a years contract left is not committed, that's contracted. slightly different.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 26 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Oh, then apologies to TJ. However I'm still unsure why he felt the need to regurgitate. Where have I refused to acknowledge anything? I think you're having difficulty reading my posts as I've explained everything you've just brought up. You really were on edge over my posts last night...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 26 Oct 2013, 12:30 pm

quinsforever wrote:
The Saint wrote:quins, interesting to hear what you think on this? Why was Phillips on the front cover, not Brett or the other one? Can we assume that they were out together the night before?
presumably because he has already had a disciplinary hearing for this behaviour before? employment law in the UK is similar to France. you get a warning (and in this case a fine) for a first offence. if you do it again, the employer has every right to terminate your contract having followed required process.

anyone who, having been officially warned for certain behaviour by an employer, then repeats that behaviour, is stupid, disrespectful, shows poor judgement, and is obviously not committed to the employer and the rules staff are expected to operate under. this is true of any industry, any employee, anywhere. first offence you get a warning and you know where the boundaries are. zero excuse for you if you get fired for repeating the offence subsequently.

MP doesnt have a leg to stand on (legless - get it?) as he officially apologised to fans via twitter, effectively admitting culpability.

now will you stop defending him, and assuming that anyone who agrees with Bayonne must be either anti-welsh or anti-MP or both?
Presumably? Come on quins, either you know he has or he hasn't when you're coming out with the abuse above!

That wasn't so difficult was it Smile. Good of Mike to apologise and still support his team. There has been some discussion going on, but you and a few others are just here to convey your hate for Mike. I'm sure he's upset. And if he's out the door, he could just end up at Harlequins because they're in need of some experienced players.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 4 Empty

Post by whocares Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:08 pm

SecretFly wrote:Dwayne Haare and Stephen Brett had an excuse.

They both pointed to Mike and said "He made us do it"

Forty pieces of silver for each
Understand that Dwayne Haare has a some pretty bad reputation according to some former bayonne coach. He's rumoured to be the one enticing all other foreigners to get into "trouble". He hasnt been caught before though.
Fabien Galthier said similar thing happened when he joined Montpelier as coach. Nothing happened back then because he didnt control the players back then. Now it would be different.
Comes down to the same thing: lack of (parental?) authority in bayonne, when daddy afflelou is away there is nobody who takes care of business properly.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 26 Oct 2013, 10:06 pm

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8993718,00.html

Inevitable I guess. So where to now?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Oct 2013, 1:17 am

Great news if these reports are true. Bec good to see Phillips back in Wales. Though more likely that another big French or English club will beat a region to getting his signature.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 27 Oct 2013, 1:51 am

will say a lot about the club that signs him. look forwards to hearing where he goes.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 27 Oct 2013, 1:58 am

The Saint wrote:
quinsforever wrote:

Presumably? Come on quins, either you know he has or he hasn't when you're coming out with the abuse above!

That wasn't so difficult was it Smile. Good of Mike to apologise and still support his team. There has been some discussion going on, but you and a few others are just here to convey your hate for Mike. I'm sure he's upset. And if he's out the door, he could just end up at Harlequins because they're in need of some experienced players.
saint, saint saint. you should pick your defensive battles more wisely. you ignore every reasonable opinion here, you ignore the news reports, so you look a bit foolish when MP gets fired, because your opinion on what's reasonable behaviour at a rugby club is completely irrelevant - only MPs contract with Bayonne, and his employment history with Bayonne, are relevant.

in plain english "presumably" refers to your qn - "the front cover". no presumption required about MP's prior form at Bayonne - its a fact. oft referred to on this thread with quotes and link.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 27 Oct 2013, 9:54 am

No idea why anyone would think this thread is an attempt to have an unwarranted pop at Phillips or Wales.

Phillips has previous when it comes to letting booze get in the way of his job. He was suspended by Wales after the McDonalds incident. He acted up in France before, and now his club thinks his recent behaviour warrants the sack.

Phillips is a big name in rugby. Players still drink but, increasingly, there are repercussions for those who let it interfere with their professional responsibilities. Danny Care, James O'Connor, Kurtley Beale, Zac Guildford and Danny Cipriani have all been on the wrong side of that story, and they all made headlines when doing so.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

Rugby Fan wrote:No idea why anyone would think this thread is an attempt to have an unwarranted pop at Phillips or Wales.

Phillips has previous when it comes to letting booze get in the way of his job. He was suspended by Wales after the McDonalds incident. He acted up in France before, and now his club thinks his recent behaviour warrants the sack.

Phillips is a big name in rugby. Players still drink but, increasingly, there are repercussions for those who let it interfere with their professional responsibilities. Danny Care, James O'Connor, Kurtley Beale, Zac Guildford and Danny Cipriani have all been on the wrong side of that story, and they all made headlines when doing so.

It would be far better to see these players get help with their problems rather than shunned.

I hope Phillips heads back to Wales, though as I said he is far more likely to get snapped up by one of the top English or French clubs.

Toulon and Saracens could both do with a decent scrum half

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Oct 2013, 10:17 am

quinsforever wrote:will say a lot about the club that signs him. look forwards to hearing where he goes.
Probably sign for Glasgow. It's an amazing place to have a drink problem. Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 4 2gwb9211
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next