The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Phillips on the booze again

+37
wayne
formerly known as Sam
Kingshu
Coleman
maestegmafia
The Saint
lostinwales
doctor_grey
Artful_Dodger
bedfordwelsh
wrfc1980
Breadvan
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
munkian
Hound of Harrow
XR
BigTrevsbigmac
MrsP
Intotouch
Cyril
ScarletSpiderman
Casartelli
Scrumpy
rodders
SecretFly
GunsGerms
whocares
quinsforever
TJ
Big
thebandwagonsociety
George Carlin
Comfort
VietGwentRevisited
Submachine
Luckless Pedestrian
Rugby Fan
41 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 7 Empty Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 21 Oct 2013, 8:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mike Phillips, scrum-half for Bayonne and Wales, faces action for being 'drunk' during a training session

Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips in trouble with club Bayonne following his alleged drunkeness during a video analysis session

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 7 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by whocares Mon 28 Oct 2013, 7:53 am

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Whocares. I'm glad you are online.
How is Oyonnax correctly pronounced? My limited knowledge of French says it ends with the 'acks' sound at the end - just as in Dax.

Sorry for hijacking the post.
That's true Portnoy although local people dont promounce the X at the end ( as in Bordeaux or many small cities in the alps for instance) Oyo-nah should be the correct pronounciation then.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 7 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by TJ Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

Phillips threatening legal action
Mike Phillips, who was told by Bayonne officials his contract, which is in its final year, will be terminated this week, is preparing to take legal action against the club according to the Daily Telegraph.
http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2013-14/rugby/story/203893.html

Bayonne chief calls it treason
http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2013-14/rugby/story/203971.html

Its like a soap opera.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

TJ wrote:Phillips threatening legal action
Mike Phillips, who was told by Bayonne officials his contract, which is in its final year, will be terminated this week, is preparing to take legal action against the club according to the Daily Telegraph.
http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2013-14/rugby/story/203893.html

Bayonne chief calls it treason
http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2013-14/rugby/story/203971.html

Its like a soap opera.
Doh 

7 months left on his contract. and he wants to try to sue. does he realise that even if he got to court, Bayonne would be able to make public every indiscretion that they are aware of in building their case for dismissal for gross misconduct? hardly likely to be helpful for opening doors for MP going forwards.

And it does look like Bayonne have followed the required french employment law processes so far. i hope MP hasnt been paying too much attention to the articles by friends of his claiming Bayonne are doing this solely to reduce their wage bill.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2013, 3:10 pm

Bayonne are doing this solely to reduce their wage bill.

Mike, as your trusted advisor and drinking pal for many years................ I say SUE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wink

Disclaimer:  I or none of my associates have in the past or do now drink with Mike Phillips or any of his associates.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 3:34 pm

LOL

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:37 pm

I'm led to believe MP was verbally warned about misconduct after the first instance, and then repeated the offence some time down the line. So unless there is something we haven't been told there is no case for Bayonne to answer.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:41 pm

you mean when he was suspended for 1 match last season? that kind of verbal warning? Doh 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:52 pm

quins, are you employed? If so, you would know that breaches of contract/misconduct usually come with a verbal warning so the organisation can cover their ass should they choose to terminate the offender's contract for repeating an offence.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:56 pm

he got suspended. thats a lot more than a verbal warning. its at least a verbal warning, and a suspension, and it most likely came with a written warning too.

i am an employer Saint.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:57 pm

a hearing would have been required prior to that suspension, for example, according to french employment law.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:59 pm

are you related to MP? i seriously cant see any other reason for your posts. not even his PR spokesman is that one-eyed.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2013, 7:05 pm

I'm confused. Aren't you two agreeing with each other? Bayonne have no case to answer?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 28 Oct 2013, 7:06 pm

quinsforever wrote:he got suspended. thats a lot more than a verbal warning. its at least a verbal warning, and a suspension, and it most likely came with a written warning too.

i am an employer Saint.
So it is without a doubt he was warned, and repeated the offence (which I said), so unless something else is written into the contract there won't be a case for Bayonne to answer, which I also just said, in reply to somebody posting the news that MP is considering legal action. Not sure why you would go on edge again over me saying that. I can only assume you're still attention seeking. You won't be getting any attention this evening I'm afraid, I'm a bit busy, so I won't be replying even though I pretty much know what your next post will be.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 7:07 pm

haha. looks like we are!

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 7:08 pm

i misread his original post. apols saint. tipped me over the edge.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 29 Oct 2013, 9:06 am

According to reports this morning he is going to sue.  Plonker. I guess he is hoping to get some money out of them

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Tue 29 Oct 2013, 9:55 am

[quote="Scrumpy"]Get off his back, I expect most of us have turned up to work or played a game drunk.[/quote]
Please dont class us all as being as stupid as Phillips.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:12 am

This is all about Money imo, they want to save some and getting rid of Phillips saves them a large sum of cash, they saw their chance and took it.

So where will Phillips end up?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

Scrumpy wrote:This is all about Money imo, they want to save some and getting rid of Phillips saves them a large sum of cash, they saw their chance and took it.
It might be but it does take quite a high level of stupidity on the part of MP, given the circumstances, to give them a chance. He is at least mostly responsible for the situation.

We have no idea where he might go. I dont know what teams are suffering any kind of scrum half injury crisis. But wherever he goes he'll be carrying a 'damaged goods' label for some time.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:20 am

I would expect the WRU will find a place for him as presumably gatland still wants him in the international set up but I would expect it would be on a game by game basis for not much money

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:37 am

But should the WRU be able to foist him on a region regardless of whether they need or want him?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:38 am

Win or Lose, we're on the booze.

Always said phillsy represented the working man and this confirms it!

I'd have him at the blues, just to see that swagger/stagger at the arms park! Come home Mike

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

It's overdone........... if someone said Leinster picked him up in the morning, I wouldn't be shocked, or downhearted or worry about Mike going awol all over Dublin on the weekends.

The tut-tutting is way over-cooked here, guys. In a good side with real intentions, a side he could get his teeth into and not be bored, Mike would still be an asset.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:59 am

i do remember on the first couple of pages on this thread someone saying he would fit right in at Leinster and his drinking wouldnt be a problem for them.

will have to take your word for it. i have always said its going to be very interesting to see which club does take him on after this.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:It's overdone........... if someone said Leinster picked him up in the morning, I wouldn't be shocked, or downhearted or worry about Mike going awol all over Dublin on the weekends.

The tut-tutting is way over-cooked here, guys.  In a good side with real intentions, a side he could get his teeth into and not be bored, Mike would still be an asset.
It is overdone. At the end of the day there is solid evidence of MP being an idiot and a lot less evidence of an alcohol issue.

But... If you were an employer and a prospective employee turns up who was fired from their last job for gross misconduct you'd think bloody hard about hiring them.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:17 pm

But you'd also have to acknowledge that he has a hell of a CV.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

All this terribly earnest Human Resources/employment contract/gross misconduct stuff is both sad and tiresome. Is this what rugby has become? The sporting equivalent of an accounts department of a regional call centre?

I think it's nice to see a rugby player respecting some old school attitudes and prioritising enjoyment over admin.

He wasn't drunk at a game or a training session - he was giving a 'video analysis' session the level of attention it probably deserved.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But you'd also have to acknowledge that he has a hell of a CV.
Absolutely. I have always had a great deal of respect for his ability to change games. He is a great rugby player. Its just that that doesnt stop him from being an idiot too

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But you'd also have to acknowledge that he has a hell of a CV.
What club honours has he got?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:40 pm

Come on, Scrumpy, you can't expect him to have won much when he's mainly played for Welsh regions. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

I guess he has a couple of Rabo titles, the problem I see with Phillips is that he is a big game player more suited to international rugby than doing the day to day stuff with a club.

Good player for someone, dare I say it the way Bath are playing he might fit in well.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

Apart from starting legal actions, does anyone have any ideas what Thirsty Mike is going to do next?

Will he join the London Irish Player Twelve Steps Rehabilitation Programme?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:52 pm

Casartelli wrote:All this terribly earnest Human Resources/employment contract/gross misconduct stuff is both sad and tiresome.  Is this what rugby has become?  The sporting equivalent of an accounts department of a regional call centre?

I think it's nice to see a rugby player respecting some old school attitudes and prioritising enjoyment over admin.  

He wasn't drunk at a game or a training session - he was giving a 'video analysis' session the level of attention it probably deserved.
That's the stuff...now we're talking, Casartelli! Life has become a disinfected PC jungle of sections, subsections and conformist human-programming.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 29 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

"He wasn't drunk at a game or a training session - he was giving a 'video analysis' session the level of attention it probably deserved."

I guess there is only so many video analysis sessions you can sit through and be shown how many steps you're taking before passing the ball!Very Happy
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 29 Oct 2013, 1:07 pm

Casartelli wrote:He wasn't drunk at a game or a training session - he was giving a 'video analysis' session the level of attention it probably deserved.
Not quite true. There was physical training in the afternoon. The two other players involved were deemed fit to train (suggesting Phillips wasn't).

I am quite surprised that he's been sacked though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm

Scrumpy wrote:

That's like asking someone with a PhD what GCSE results they got!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:11 pm

Griff wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:11 pm

He wasn't drunk...he was just a very naughty boy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

Griff wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
PhD as allegory for Mike Phillips...that's a good one. LOL.Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:35 pm

Griff wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
Speaking from experience having a PhD means you should be very good at the complicated stuff in the precise area of research - but you can still be rubbish at the basic stuff and everything else.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:50 pm

Philips the next to sign for London Irish then? Or will he use the Ai's as a 'shop window' to the HEC clubs to encourage them to sign him as 'injury cover'?

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

lighten up chaps...PhD implies a certain amount of intellectual wattage, whatever the subject. MP has perhaps displayed less than that amount, even if he does well at SH for a flanker Wink

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

Comfort wrote:Will he use the Ai's as a 'shop window' to the HEC clubs to encourage them to sign him as 'injury cover'?
I'm worried that Phillips will take too much on himself for Wales in the AIs. I can see him trying to make breaks all the time when it isn't on. If I was Heyneke Meyer*, I'd be telling the Springbok forwards not to buy any dummies from him.

* - I'm not Heyneke Meyer.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

Well, it seems after I departed that posters, regardless of nationality seem to be raising points that I raised days ago. Wonder why that is, might it have something to do with The Saint always being in the correct ball court? Whistle 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:04 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Comfort wrote:Will he use the Ai's as a 'shop window' to the HEC clubs to encourage them to sign him as 'injury cover'?
I'm worried that Phillips will take too much on himself for Wales in the AIs. I can see him trying to make breaks all the time when it isn't on. If I was Heyneke Meyer*, I'd be telling the Springbok forwards not to buy any dummies from him.

* - I'm not Heyneke Meyer.
I think he tried to do that too much against Australia to & they were ready for him like I suspect most teams will be nowadays.
I'm not saying it isn't useful as it drags in defenders but there is a turnover risk & frustration for the backs not getting ball.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:04 pm

The Saint in court??? Now, why doesn't that surprise me!

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

quinsforever wrote:lighten up chaps...PhD implies a certain amount of intellectual wattage, whatever the subject. MP has perhaps displayed less than that amount, even if he does well at SH for a flanker Wink
Can be - can also be about dodging getting a real job (I have a maths PhD by the way and am now in a real job - only took 20 years....)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

Exactly Trev, he can take too much on himself as it is, but now he'll want to prove a point and might do it even more. I think we shouldn't play him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:10 pm

lostinwales wrote:
quinsforever wrote:lighten up chaps...PhD implies a certain amount of intellectual wattage, whatever the subject. MP has perhaps displayed less than that amount, even if he does well at SH for a flanker Wink
Can be - can also be about dodging getting a real job (I have a maths PhD by the way and am now in a real job - only took 20 years....)
ha, i'm in the opposite position. had very real jobs for 20 years and now thinking about doing a PhD in a very obscure bit of economic theory!

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 29 Oct 2013, 3:22 pm

Trev is correct. If Gatland wants a direct replacement to Phillips he should select Gareth Davies from the Scarlets (surprise surprise who got on the scoresheet when he came back into the team on the weekend), Rhodri was playing well enough to merit selection though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next