The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Phillips on the booze again

+37
wayne
formerly known as Sam
Kingshu
Coleman
maestegmafia
The Saint
lostinwales
doctor_grey
Artful_Dodger
bedfordwelsh
wrfc1980
Breadvan
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
munkian
Hound of Harrow
XR
BigTrevsbigmac
MrsP
Intotouch
Cyril
ScarletSpiderman
Casartelli
Scrumpy
rodders
SecretFly
GunsGerms
whocares
quinsforever
TJ
Big
thebandwagonsociety
George Carlin
Comfort
VietGwentRevisited
Submachine
Luckless Pedestrian
Rugby Fan
41 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 2 Empty Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 21 Oct 2013, 8:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mike Phillips, scrum-half for Bayonne and Wales, faces action for being 'drunk' during a training session

Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips in trouble with club Bayonne following his alleged drunkeness during a video analysis session

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 2 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by TJ Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:14 pm

ScarletSpiderman

The phrase you highlighted refers to me in my job not to Phillips. Sorry if it was not clear

TJ

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips on the booze again - Page 2 Empty Re: Mike Phillips on the booze again

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:16 pm

TJ. Are you at work right now?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:29 pm

He's down the juicer for happy hour!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:30 pm

Right, all this talk of booze. I'm off down the pub.

Ale

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

Griff wrote:He's down the juicer for happy hour!
I think he must have realised that posting all day on this site while at work is pretty unprofessional and gone back to work which is what I probably should do.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

GunsGerms wrote:TJ. Are you at work right now?
Nope - posting on here at work would have me disciplined if it were possible.  Day off today. Posting on here while skiving off the houswork

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:34 pm

TJ wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:TJ. Are you at work right now?
Nope - posting on here at work would have me disciplined if it were possible.  Day off today. Posting on here while skiving off the houswork
Youre a better man than I am.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:34 pm

It used to be a requirement in my job to bring clients out for a boozy lunch. Then back to the office in the afternoon for a couple of hours.
On a Friday afternoon management would bring in some nicely chilled beers for the staff to enjoy at their desks from around 3pm until they finished work at 5. There was usually more booze on offer in the pub next door all on the company tab.
I really, really, really miss the Celtic Tiger.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:34 pm

What - for skiving off the housework?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:35 pm

What about drunken posting on here? Surely that never happens Smile

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:37 pm

Submachine wrote:
Mike Phillips doesn't even know it ended!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:40 pm

rodders wrote:
Submachine wrote:
Mike Phillips doesn't even know it ended!
Who needs the celtic tiger when you are a British Lion anyway?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:44 pm

Submachine wrote:It used to be a requirement in my job to bring clients out for a boozy lunch. Then back to the office in the afternoon for a couple of hours.
On a Friday afternoon management would bring in some nicely chilled beers for the staff to enjoy at their desks from around 3pm until they finished work at 5. There was usually more booze on offer in the pub next door all on the company tab.
You owe the hard pressed tax payer for every damn one of those company bought beers!!

And don't attempt to flee the country! There are no more salubrious mansions available on the east coast of America with all the ex-bankers renting them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm

Rubbish fly those beers came straight from the Caman Islands account at no expense to the taxpayer! Bubbly  
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Submachine wrote:It used to be a requirement in my job to bring clients out for a boozy lunch. Then back to the office in the afternoon for a couple of hours.
You owe the hard pressed tax payer for every damn one of those company bought beers!!

And don't attempt to flee the country!  There are no more salubrious mansions available on the east coast of America with all the ex-bankers renting them.
No a banker my man. Many other cogs in the economy were greased by a sup and a sandwich.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:51 pm

Caman Island beer???

So the staff got screwed too?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Oct 2013, 5:21 pm

I saw a job advertised in the London area the other day, a fairly respectable sort of job (to do with research and academic journals). One of the things in the list of 'benefits' along with holiday entitlement and private health care was 'regular Friday beer o'clocks'?!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue 22 Oct 2013, 9:57 pm

TJ wrote:If anyone at my work ( healthcare) shows up drunk they are immediately suspended and will face disciplinary action and may well be sacked.  Gross professional misconduct.

I would suspend Philips and his continued employment would be on the provision of completing a treatment and testing programme. its not his first time being drunk is it?
Me too. Someone was fired where I work for showing up repeatedly smelling of drink. I can't think of anywhere I've worked where this would be acceptable.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:00 pm

And the boss of Bayonne Afflelou has taken a very dim view of their actions, saying: : "I'm furious - outraged. This is unacceptable and not worthy of a professional player.

"It shows a lack of respect for the club's partners and the public. This is not the first time and we are sick of it. It's shameful."
http://www.espn.co.uk/france/rugby/story/203315.html

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm

TJ wrote:
And the boss of Bayonne Afflelou has taken a very dim view of their actions, saying: : "I'm furious - outraged. This is unacceptable and not worthy of a professional player.

"It shows a lack of respect for the club's partners and the public. This is not the first time and we are sick of it. It's shameful."
maybe gunsgerms can get him a spot at Leinster?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

TJ what I was getting at is the definition of drunk. To some it means slurred words, falling over etc, to others it means that they would fail a breath test and all the shades of grey inbetween. If it is a case of Mike turning up slurring his words then he deserves the book thrown at him, if its bloodshot eyes and an eversion to loud or high pitch noises then have a quiet word. And if it is a case of him being just over the drink drive limit (but hasn't driven in), then providing he is alert and paying attention then I can see no harm.

I guess in your line of business, dealing with the public etc, a zero tolerance approach makes sense.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 22 Oct 2013, 11:04 pm

You would think that, if he had been in a fit enough state to do his job, no-one would have noticed and so there wouldn't be an issue.

If they were able to see that he was still under the influence then he must have been affected enough to show that. I would think that any employer would take a dim view of any employee turning up for work too drunk to do their job properly.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:09 am

quinsforever wrote:
TJ wrote:

How would I be able to get him a place at Leinster. Idiotic comment. Are you 12?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:12 am

No point comparing apples with bananas - most employers will have a code of conduct for their employees, Mike has breached his and therefore will face some consequences. He's done this before so knows the craic.

The fact that another employer would be more or less lenient is neither here nor there.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:16 am

Just like on the 'Welsh have sold out' thread (or words to that effect), we're jumping to conclusions here yet again. The moral outrage is ridiculous on this site, when the facts are not known. We do not know if he was just a bit hungover and not very interested in the video session (bad, but not a hanging offense), or whether he was steaming and couldn't string a sentence together (bad, and perhaps a sackable offense). Until we do know the facts, it's pointless trying to decide the punishment and play the jury.

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:18 am

His hearing was yesterday?

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:21 am

Griff wrote:Just like on the 'Welsh have sold out' thread (or words to that effect), we're jumping to conclusions here yet again.  The moral outrage is ridiculous on this site, when the facts are not known.  We do not know if he was just a bit hungover and not very interested in the video session (bad, but not a hanging offense), or whether he was steaming and couldn't string a sentence together (bad, and perhaps a sackable offense).  Until we do know the facts, it's pointless trying to decide the punishment and play the jury.
Agreed. Not enough is known. Also ththis could also boil down to the possibility that the French having a slightly different attitude to drink than in the UK or Ireland.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:25 am

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/ofbreves_-Bayonne-Phillips-vers-un-licenciement-_toutes-10856879_filInfosport.Htm

OK, I really need whocares, but from this it looks like they had the hearing but they will not discuss the findings until after 48 hours of reflection.

Whoever wrote this piece seems to be saying that all 3 were worse for wear at the Video briefing, but that the twqo New Zealanders were cleared to train in the afternoon - and that one of them does not drive (struggling a bit here with translating).

Purely the writers opinion but he seems to suggest that Phillips may actually be fired - or again my French is really bad.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:57 am

That would seem to be what it says right enough, but then again, my French isn't that great either.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:07 am

GunsGerms wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
TJ wrote:

How would I be able to get him a place at Leinster. Idiotic comment. Are you 12?
actually i think it was precisely as idiotic as your comment regarding leinster. if you miss the irony of that i cant be held responsible for your lack of comprehension. i have noticed how its always the insecure young posters who start throwing around accusations about someone's age to try to undermine anything they say. bravo.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:11 am

Quins - you mainly make good points even when I disagree. In my view its best not to react to childish comments altho I find it hard not to. Lets try not to play the man eh?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:16 am

quinsforever wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
TJ wrote:

actually i think it was precisely as idiotic as your comment regarding leinster. if you miss the irony of that i cant be held responsible for your lack of comprehension. i have noticed how its always the insecure young posters who start throwing around accusations about someone's age to try to undermine anything they say. bravo.
Are you still bitter about Leinster exposing Quin's cheating or something?

You go on a rant because I reference the team I support. You're a very strange person.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:17 am

bad tempered boards today?

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:18 am

MrsP wrote:That would seem to be what it says right enough, but then again, my French isn't that great either.

thats right. licenciement is a fairly specific french term relating to employment law/contracts. the process they have followed, of 2 day reflection period, follows the legally required path.

"L'employeur ne peut pas licencier le salarié à l'issue de l'entretien. Il doit respecter un délai de réflexion entre l'entretien préalable et l'envoi de la lettre de licenciement :
L'ordonnance no 2004-602 du 24 juin 2004 (JO du 26 juin 2004) modifiant l'article L.1232-6 (anciennement L.122-14-1) prévoit que le délai de notification du licenciement pour motif personnel est de 2 jours ouvrables à compter de l'entretien."

so yes, in theory they can fire him for cause. the article would be mentioning this as a possibility because the club initiated the disciplinary interview and specifically mentioned the 2 day period of reflection to the media.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:19 am

VietGwentRevisited wrote:bad tempered boards today?
Very Happy 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

TJ wrote:Quins - you mainly make good points even when I disagree.   In my view its best not to react to childish comments altho I find it hard not to.  Lets try not to play the man eh?
i also find it hard not to TJ...when the mans on the wrong side of the ruck and all that...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

*sniggers* We need a smilie for that

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

TJ wrote:Quins - you mainly make good points even when I disagree.   In my view its best not to react to childish comments altho I find it hard not to.  Lets try not to play the man eh?
Go back to your housework TJ. Quins is quite capable of posting childish comments unprovoked. It would appear he has some sort of vendetta v Leinster as my casual reference to Leinster kicked it all off.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:28 am

What's Phillips' form like at the moment?

He was getting booed for periods at Bayonne last season. Is this an opportunity to ditch him?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

Cyril wrote:What's Phillips' form like at the moment?

He was getting booed for periods at Bayonne last season. Is this an opportunity to ditch him?
Dont understand why he would he want to play for Bayonne anyway? They are bottom of the top14 and always in a relegation scrap. Surely a Lion like Philips would want to be playing in the HCup year in year out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:35 am

did i miss some fireworks this morning on the other headbanging thread? was just catching up and it felt like some gaps then i got to this post from a moderator...

I have removed numerous posts from this thread in an effort to get it back on track....etc

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:36 am

Load of stupid personal attacks on the welsh clubs thread. tempers boiling over allround and plenty of careless use of the boot

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:51 am

TJ wrote:Load of stupid personal attacks on the welsh clubs thread.  tempers boiling over allround and plenty of careless use of the boot
and did ye give as good as ye got TJ? Wink 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:53 am

I am not answering that on legal advice

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:59 am

Laugh 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:30 pm

Cut the needless school yard stuff please. Lets just stick to whether Mike Phillips is the devil incarnate, a raging alcoholic and in need of banning for life from rugby, or if he is just a poor west walian that is getting needlessly victimised by the press.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

Neither SS he just needs to grow up & act more professionally. I suspect it requires more than a flea in his ear though.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Neither SS he just needs to grow up & act more professionally. I suspect it requires more than a flea in his ear though.
Yeah I agree to be honest, but you know this place, two far extremes arguing and refusing to accept there is a middle ground.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:41 pm

Come back home to the Blues, Mike thumbsup 

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

gcBlues wrote:Come back home to the Blues, Mike thumbsup 
I agree with that, but surely home would be in the far west? That said maybe the Dragons could have him, work for Lyn again, and he can then feel proud to have represented all of the regions (only Tal Selley has done that so far).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next