The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WI in India

+9
Mad for Chelsea
Fists of Fury
kingraf
subhranshu.kumar.5
Roger Laver
msp83
Gerry SA
ShankyCricket
KP_fan
13 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

WI in India - Page 2 Empty WI in India

Post by KP_fan Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:01 am

First topic message reminder :

The Indian team was declared...Jadeja rested owing to shoulder strain?
why does he continue to bowl in the masala ODIs?
Rohit has been sneaked into the squad

leaving out Zaheer is a mistake.......unless they do not want to risk with Zaheer as one of the bolwers in a 4 man attack given that Jadeja is out.

There was no comeback for Zaheer Khan despite his five wickets in Mumbai's Ranji Trophy opener, and allrounder Ravindra Jadeja was rested because of a shoulder strain, but Ishant Sharma retained his place despite his struggle for form in recent limited-overs games. India's squad also has a spinner of each variety - an offspinner in R Ashwin, a left-armer in Pragyan Ojha and Mishra.

India's top order is fairly settled with Shikhar Dhawan and M Vijay opening, followed by Cheteshwar Pujara, Sachin Tendulkar, who will be playing his final series, and Virat Kohli. Ajinkya Rahane was the incumbent at No. 6 in the fourth Test against Australia in Delhi, but Rohit Sharma could be pushing for a Test debut after consistent limited-overs performances.

Squad: MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, M Vijay, Cheteshwar Pujara, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Pragyan Ojha, Amit Mishra, Ajinkya Rahane, Umesh Yadav, Shami Ahmed, Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma.

from BCCI's website
Ravindra Jadeja has a shoulder strain. The Physiotherapist of the Indian team has advised two weeks’ rest for him, after the end of the ODI series against Australia, as a precautionary measure

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

WI in India - Page 2 Empty Re: WI in India

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

Roger Laver wrote:Shami did great, but it should not overshadow the real problem that faces India and Indian cricket.

Here is an article I penned, thoughts and comments are welcome:

http://sportzcosmos.com/2013/10/20/who-dropped-the-ball/

You do make some interesting points there. I think the conditions and the attitudes are even more significant in the lack of quality quick bowlers in India. India by tradition, has been a land of spinners. After independence, it took us over 3 decades to produce a quality seamer in Kapil Dev. But we had Vinu Mankad and Subhash Gupte in the early years of independence, then came along Bedi, Chandra, Prasanna and Venkat. The pitches and conditions are more helpful for spin bowling, and the attitudes are in fact turning against any kind of bowlers.
But I think this century has seen a positive change. We've had a high quality seamer in Zaheer and a host of seamers have emerged in recent years. Irfan Pathan, Munaf Patel, Ashish Nehra, the now disgraced Sreesanth, Ishant in his initial couple of years in international cricket, Praveen Kumar and RP Singh, they all had their moments in international cricket, though most of them didn't build on those. Now we have another young set emerging, Shami, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron, Jaydev Unadkat, the yet uncapped Ishwar Pandey, young Sandeep Sharma...... Perhaps a few of them will emerge as the next in line to Kapil, Srinath and Zaheer. Perhaps they may not quite reach there, but still could be handy operators at the international level, a far cry from the 1950s, 60s and 70s.......
I am actually more worried about the lack of quality spinners from India. Seamers have never been predominant actors in our bowling lineups particularly at home, and there were plenty of quality spinners who never got a look in the national side, like Kerala's KN Ananthapadmanabhan. But that is no longer the case.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm

Roger Laver wrote:msp83:

Fair enough, but 1 test is all you will get with BCCI running the show. I will be surprised if Rahane, a Mumbai guy has no backing in the BCCI.

If anyone should complain, it is Rayudu and hyderabadis/AP guys and their fans like me. Look at Laxman's career.

I am positive Rahane and Rohit will get more than a long rope with all the Mumbai bigwigs around.

Rayudu, now let us sob for that dude..... No godfather and an orphan in Indian Cricket!
While Rayudu is a fine talent, I think his inconsistencies and the tendency to self-destruct played a greater role than any other factor in him playing only 4 ODIs so far India. He had problems with the Hyderabad team management in 2004, moved to Andhra and had problems there, came back to Hyderabad and continued to have his issues then ICL at what should have been the peak time of his domestic career that could led the way to team India. Rayudu's First Class average of 45 is very disappointing for a batsman like him in Indian conditions, don't think he can complain too much, its not to late to perhaps read up a bit on Vinod Kambli perhaps.
The way he was managed too has to be factored in to, but the problem is not really with the national selectors in my view.
On another note welcome to these forums, and I do hope you'd stick around for some interesting discussions not only on Indian cricket but also cricket in general. Please do join the debate on the India domestic season in the domestic cricket section as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 06 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

MSP, I have no problems with anyone saying they're not yet convinced by Rohit but I don't see how they can be convinced by Rahane either. Just because he has had fewer opportunities to fail doesn't make him automatically better. They both have similar first class records. And Rohit has a better FC record for the India A team than Rahane, which IMHO should carry more weightage than domestic performances.

Now, if your argument is that Rahane was the man in possession and its unfair to drop him after just 1 Test and hence he should've played over Rohit, I can accept that argument even though I don't agree with it.
If your argument is that Rahane is definitely a better player than Rohit just because he has had fewer opportunities to fail in ODIs than Rohit, then that makes no sense whatsoever, I'm afraid. If Rahane had a better FC or India A record than Rohit, I could've still considered it but thats not the case either.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 6:23 pm

Shanky, I certainly think that it is pretty much unfair that Rahane has been dropped after one test and as the man in possession, he should have got the first chance. This is not a universal rule, if Rohit or anyone else did something well and truly outstanding that would help him to overtake Rahane's case, then fair enough. But Rohit hasn't done anything of that kind.
Do we have some stats available for comparing Rohit's and Rahane's record with the A team?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 06 Nov 2013, 6:40 pm

Roger Laver wrote:msp83:

Fair enough, but 1 test is all you will get with BCCI running the show. I will be surprised if Rahane, a Mumbai guy has no backing in the BCCI.

If anyone should complain, it is Rayudu and hyderabadis/AP guys and their fans like me. Look at Laxman's career.

I am positive Rahane and Rohit will get more than a long rope with all the Mumbai bigwigs around.

Rayudu, now let us sob for that dude..... No godfather and an orphan in Indian Cricket!

that is correct.....that Mumbai lobby is strong after CSK

Rayadu by virtue of being an MI player atleast has made it throuhg to the ODI side.

spare a thouhgt for Tiwary who scored a hundred in ODI against non Zim, non BD team never to play for India again.

spare a thouhght for the likes of Robin Bisht, Parvez  Rasool, Jiwanjot, Manpreet type potentials who stand little chance playing for India because they are from lobbies that are not close to the powers running Indian cricket.

and that is what is being critically reviewed under a microscope...Rohit's unfair undue runs of chances and short circuited entry into the team.

Bowlers with real pace stand a much better chance of playing regardless of their IPL team or ranji zones
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:11 pm

www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/74/74266/f_Batting_by_Team.html

www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/154/154043/f_Batting_by_Team.html

Last edited by ShankyCricket on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:12 pm

Despite the likes of Rohit Sharma getting rather undeserved favors from the selectors and the team management, I think the selectors have done a decent job overall. If you look at the squad and the fringe players, you can see that more players are coming through from non-metros. The Indian skipper himself is a terrific example. Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Praveen Kumar have come through non-Mumbai/MI or CSK roots. Same holds for Shikhar Dhawan and Cheteshwar Pujara. Kohli and Pujara came thrugh age group cricket and in the latter's case the domestic first class structure as well. Mohammed Shami, Jaydev Unadkat, Amit Mishra there are others as well. Manoj Tiwary has been hampered by injuries for quite some time now and as I said, Rayudu's case is rather complicated.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm

Msp, check the stats in the last post.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm

Rahane averages only 32 for India A.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:33 pm

Both Rohit and Rahane haven't done all that great for India A and between the 2 Rohit has the better record. But a sample size of 10 matches aren't enough to judge. Rohit scored a hundred recently in South Africa, and Rahane also played a brilliant innings in a low-scoring game. I remember Rahane had a poor series with the A team in the West Indies where pretty much every one else other than Cheteshwar Pujara struggled. Rahane has a better record in the Duleep trophy it has to be noted as well, though admittedly, again the sample size is too less to really judge

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:35 pm

And thanks for those links Shanky.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:02 pm

10 FC matches each is not that small a sample size. Not big admittedly but not exactly 1 or 2 games either. And there is a 10 run difference in averages although admittedly, Rohit too hasn't done that well. But Rahane's India A average is less than half his Ranji average. Again, I'm not making any judgements or saying who is better. But your assertion that Rahane has scored "tough runs" in FC cricket whereas Rohit hasn't, is untrue. The A team opposition are considerably tougher than any Indian domestic bowling attack and Rahane has come a cropper against them. Rohit hasn't been outstanding either but his record is at least decent.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:12 pm

www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/62/62509/f_Batting_by_Team.html

Manoj Tiwary for India A. Also played 10 FC games. Averages higher than Rahane but less than Rohit.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:18 pm

Interestingly, Ambati Rayudu averages higher than all of them for India A. Averages 45, over a greater sample size too - 17 FC matches.

His List A record too for India A and for the various Challenger Trophy sides is very good and better than his Vijay Hazare record.

So maybe he has indeed hard done by as Roger says.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm

Rohit might score 1000s of runs and average 50 in test cricket......he will never earn respect...because of the tag of unfair selection based on favoritism stuck on him.

a bit like abhishek bacchan....Papa got him movies after movies till he got a few hits.
But unfortunately he could never earn respect as an actor.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:21 pm

A team oppositions are not necessarly always stronger than the domestic oppositions that sides face in India. Again, it depends on the pitches and condition. I don't think we can look at the batting records of the batsmen in the 3 nation A team OD tournament in South Africa for any meaningful analysis. it was a 10 times greater disaster than the abomination that was concluded in India last week.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:29 pm

KP_fan wrote:Rohit might score 1000s of runs and average 50 in test cricket......he will never earn respect...because of the tag of unfair selection based on favoritism stuck on him.

a bit like abhishek bacchan....Papa got him movies after movies till he got a few hits.
But unfortunately he could never earn respect as an actor.
Have to disagree there to some extent. Rohit can certainly get over the past if he delivers consistently in demanding conditions. If he scores against Steyn, Philander and Morkel, then I think people would be more inclined to forgive him, and MSD will get the credit for sticking with him despite all the horrible failures. If he could do it consistently against New Zealand and England in the upcoming away tours, people will certainly accept him as a fine player and he'll have gained a lot of respect by then.
I hope he does that, but I won't believe it possible unless it really happens.
It has taken Rohit hundred games and 6 years to get going as an ODI player. What he can't certainly afford to do is to have a similarly obnoxious start to test cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Laver Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:04 pm

First Things First:

You guys are absolutely awesome! I used to think I was passionate about Cricket! You are in another league.

I will say, my opinions are more "instinct" driven than based on numbers and sometimes we have to take a "gut" call rather than one driven by analysis: example Joginder Sharma in 2007 T-20 WC semis and finals.

However, being an IITian, I will always be a sucker for numbers/stats.

msp83:

Thank you for your welcome and your feedback on my article. I really appreciate your taking the time to read that.

I agree about your concern regarding lack of spinners, but let me say I feel a little better about our spinners now, as compared to the situation after the English beat us on our home soil...

KP fan:

You are right, Rayudu has wizened up and now started moving in "circles" that will promote him. My comparison was only with Rahane/Rohit. Having said that, Tiwary and other Bengalis will have their chance should Dalmiya coterie get stronger.

Thank you for the wonderful discussions guys. I spent around 4-5hrs reading your posts and discussions here - a mine of information. If it is not too much to ask, please drop a comment on our site should you feel like it. If any of you is interested in writing an article on cricket, please feel free to let me know!

If you are interested, please take a look at our build up to the ashes:

http://sportzcosmos.com/2013/10/03/a-test-of-nerves-sportz-cosmos-build-up-to-the-ashes/

Apologies for the long post and too many requests Smile

Roger Laver

http://sportzcosmos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 6:21 am

If it was the West Indies' turn yesterday in the post-lunch session, today it was India who had a massive collapse in the pre-lunch session. From 37 without loss overnight, they collapsed to 83-5 before recovering just a little bit to reach 120-5 at lunch.
Shikhar Dhawan played on to Shillingford for 23, Vijay was stumped of the same bowler for 26, Pujara played a bit of a strange shot to provide the debutant Cottrell his first test wicket when he tried to ramp a short ball over the keeper but played it to the keeper instead for an easy catch. Then Sachin Tendulkar was given out LBW for 10 of Shillingford for 10. Tendulkar could consider himself rather unlucky as the bal was going well over the stumps, but it was India's decision not to opt for the DRS!. Soon after that, Virat Kohli was given caught at bat-pad of Shillingford for 3, bit of doubt around that call as well as it was hard to say whether there was an edge on that one.
The Indian captain and the debutant Rohit Sharma have put together a bit of a partnership since then. India 128-5.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 7:02 am

After helping the innings a bit, the Indian skipper has just got out. Tino Best with his first wicket of the game as Dhoni edges to the keeper for 42. He looked in control against Shillingford who had earlier ripped through the Indian lineup, but Tino has got an important wicket for the West Indies here. India 157-6 as Ravichandran Ashwin joins Sharma.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 7:54 am

India 209-6. Rohit Sharma scores a 50 on test debut. He's not out on 54. Has to be one of his better efforts in international cricket already!. Way to go, but this is a good start from Rohit to restore some faith in his temperament for many of us.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:08 am

Wasnt too excited about the India vs South Africa Test series initially, And Nothing I've seen day 1 & 2 has made me think India are on anything other than a hiding.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:18 am

India 229-6 at tea on day 2. Ravichandran Ashwin has helped Rohit Sharma put together an unbeaten 73 run partnership for the 7th wicket that has taken India very close to that West Indies first innings score of 234. Sharma on 61, Ashwin on 38.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:27 am

kingraf wrote:Wasnt too excited about the India vs South Africa Test series initially, And Nothing I've seen day 1 & 2 has made me think India are on anything other than a hiding.
From the few overs of Shillingoford I saw yesterday...I immediately remarked how impressive he was looking....and that West Indies's spin is better than India's.

and I woke up this morning to see that he has run throuhg the top order.
Do not belittle India here ..........on this pitch that is dry and gripping and deterioating.....any batting line-up in the world would be troubled.

great fightback from Nos. 6,7, and 8....some how they need to eek out a lead of 75 odd.

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:36 am

I'm not belittling India, and I'm certainly not basing it just on this Test. Fact is India and South Africa are at two different stages of the wave. South Africa is riding the crest currently, and India are building up. Nothing wrong with that. Eventually the roles will be reversed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:02 am

kingraf wrote:I'm not belittling India, and I'm certainly not basing it just on this Test. Fact is India and South Africa are at two different stages of the wave. South Africa is riding the crest currently, and India are building up. Nothing wrong with that. Eventually the roles will be reversed.

the only fact will be when India faces up to SA.
and the side that will face SA comprising of Kohli, Dhawan, Rohit/Rahane, Vijay Pujara are the new breed.
How they will fare to pace and bounce will only be tested when they are exposed to it.

win for SA is a par for the course....
1 drawn game will be a positive step.

2 draws or 1 win will be an extremely good result for India

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:15 am

Of the names you mentioned -
Kholi - should be genuinely grateful that this is only a two-test series, as I think he will be crucified. A December Wanderers pitch is probably the fastest in the world, while Kingsmead isnt too far behind.

Dhawan - I'm actually genuinely excited about him coming to South Africa. He could be a huge bonus.

Rohit - Absolutely nothing has convinced me that he can succeed at Test level, let alone in the burial ground that is South African pitches. Remember, not even South African batsmen average more at home than they do away, nowadays.

You guys should get a result at Kingsmead. A draw probably.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:21 am

India 279-6. Sharma on 85, and Ravichandran Ashwin has moved along to 63. Their partnership is now worth 123. India lead by 45.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:25 am

WIndies will be really demoralised by this.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:47 am

India 294-6. Rohit into the 90s, he's on 93, and Ashwin on 70.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:54 am

Hundred on debut for Rohit Sharma!. So he has begun his test career on a brilliant note. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:55 am

clap Rohit gets a hundred on debut.....well played
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:58 am

So India's most frustrating talents, since Vinod Kambli, has finally came of age in 2013.

Well played.

Ashwin looks some player as well

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:01 am

kingraf wrote:Of the names you mentioned -
Kholi - should be genuinely grateful that this is only a two-test series, as I think he will be crucified. A December Wanderers pitch is probably the fastest in the world, while Kingsmead isnt too far behind.

Dhawan - I'm actually genuinely excited about him coming to South Africa. He could be a huge bonus.

Rohit - Absolutely nothing has convinced me that he can succeed at Test level, let alone in the burial ground that is South African pitches. Remember, not even South African batsmen average more at home than they do away, nowadays.

You guys should get a result at Kingsmead. A draw probably.
I think you're underestimating the Indian batting TBH KG.

These new Indian batsmen are fearless.

They don't have the same mental baggage as previous Indian touring sides.

Guys like Dhawan, Kohli, Pujara and Kohli can all play short pitch bowling a lot better than previous Indian players.

We underestimated India last time they toured, and they got a 1-1 drawn series. And but for Kallis, they would've won the series.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:03 am

India 317-6. The 7th wicket partnership has more than doubled the score. When Dhoni got out, India were 156-6, 78 behind the West Indies first innings score. Now they lead by 83.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:04 am

Pieces look to be falling into place for India.

A couple of places need to be solved tho.

Jadeja will come back at 7, so Kohli, Sharma and Dhoni all move up to 4/5/6.

Plus India need to pick a partner for Dhawan. Where it's Rahane(he's not international class) or someone else. Vijay is rubbish.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:10 am

India 334-6, leading by 100. Sharma on 122, Ashwin on 77.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:10 am

Ashwin don't forget him......a gem of an inning.......he's done it before vs. WI also then.
needs to get a hundred here.....and bat WI out of this test
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:13 am

Remains whether Jadeja will come back at 7 for the away series. He'll certainly comeback for the home tests. Ashwin's performance here won't hamper his case one bit though he wasn't at his best with the ball. But on tracks where the spinner is supposed to contain more, I'd still prefer Jadeja over Ashwin.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:14 am

I'm not under estimating them by any means, Gerry. But the fact of the matter is, coming to South Africa Is the toughest task for a batting lineup in world cricket. Kohli averages 29 away from home. Dhawan has only an abbreviated experience in South Africa on pitches I could score 300 on. They could sneak a result, but that has more to do with the fact that it's only a two test series rather than anything else
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:18 am

msp83 wrote:Remains whether Jadeja will come back at 7 for the away series. He'll certainly comeback for the home tests. Ashwin's performance here won't hamper his case one bit though he wasn't at his best with the ball. But on tracks where the spinner is supposed to contain more, I'd still prefer Jadeja over Ashwin.

undoubtedly India will play 5 bowlers including Jadeja.
the combined strength of Jadeja+ Ashwin with bat exceeds that of one specilaist batsmen
and Bhuvnesh can also bat.
and having 5 bowlers will give India the confidence of playing Zaheer as one of the 3 seamers

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:19 am

Delighted for Rohit. Has always been a player I've watched closely due to such ludicrous talent, and the fact that me and him were born on the exact same day...I just hope he goes on to fulfil his promise and have a successful Test career.

The next ten years could herlad the next golden era of Indian batsmanship. I hope so.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:20 am

kingraf wrote:I'm not under estimating them by any means, Gerry. But the fact of the matter is, coming to South Africa Is the toughest task for a batting lineup in world cricket. Kohli averages 29 away from home. Dhawan has only an abbreviated experience in South Africa on pitches I could score 300 on. They could sneak a result, but that has more to do with the fact that it's only a two test series rather than anything else
Well Dale Steyn rates Dhawan and Rohit pretty highly.

And I know he played with both in the passed

But it's still pretty high praise.

I think the key difference is India's bowling can cause us problems.

Kumar/Khan/Shami/Yadav that's not too shabby.

I wonder if they'll play Ishant...Yahoo 

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:20 am

msp83 wrote:Remains whether Jadeja will come back at 7 for the away series. He'll certainly comeback for the home tests. Ashwin's performance here won't hamper his case one bit though he wasn't at his best with the ball. But on tracks where the spinner is supposed to contain more, I'd still prefer Jadeja over Ashwin.
Jadeja certainly plays home or away. He offers control

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:22 am

I also rate Dhawan highly, (I said so earlier) but he has to perform here, doesn't he? Rohit, I'm sorry, but I can't see it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:24 am

It's remarkable Ashwin has sustained a batting average of 40+ throuhgout his 17 test career.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:24 am

msp83 wrote:A team oppositions are not necessarly always stronger than the domestic oppositions that sides face in India. Again, it depends on the pitches and condition. I don't think we can look at the batting records of the batsmen in the 3 nation A team OD tournament in South Africa for any meaningful analysis. it was a 10 times greater disaster than the abomination that was concluded in India last week.
Msp, these stats don't include the ODIs played in SA. And you must be kidding me if you think Indian domestic attacks and pitches are tougher than what you face at 'A' team level. Anyways, Rohit can't perform under pressure. 84/5 and 156/6 on a turning pitch on test debut is a very easy situation indeed.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:26 am

KP_fan wrote:

undoubtedly India will play 5 bowlers including Jadeja.
the combined strength of Jadeja+ Ashwin with bat exceeds that of one specilaist batsmen
and Bhuvnesh can also bat.
and having 5 bowlers will give India the confidence of playing Zaheer as one of the 3 seamers
Playing 5 bowlers certainly give them a greater balance and that would also let Zak get into the mix a bit more smoothly. With Shami's emergence, I don't know where to put Yadav in. I really like the look of him, we don't often get to see an Indian seamer bowling up to 145-147 KPH, Yadav can do that, will they go in with all 4 of them and play one of Jadeja or Ashwin at 7?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:28 am

I would never leave Sunil Narine out of a test match side playing in sub continent
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:30 am

KPF, I don't think the combined strength of Ashwin and Jadeja exceeds that of a specialist batsman in SA conditions. I really like Jadeja as a bowler but sorry, he can't play the short ball, even at home. I'm not looking forward to him facing Morkel and Steyn.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next