The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season transfer rumours.....

+71
Notch
TheMildlyFranticLlama
sad_gimp
prop_lyd
MacKnocked-on
RuggerRadge2611
madmaccas
Jhamer25
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
Artful_Dodger
B91212
Seagultaf
alive555
Golden
XR
funnyExiledScot
BigGee
Tiger/Chief
shuren34
justified sinner
LeinsterFan4life
Majestic83
DaveM
Heaf
BigTrevsbigmac
dragon999
thomh
bluestonevedder
BamBam
sirtidychris
Margin_Walker
ChequeredJersey
Ozzy3213
doctor_grey
The Saint
LordDowlais
WELL-PAST-IT
BristolDave
nathan
RDW
profitius
Cumbrian
Rugby Fan
propdavid_london
FecklessRogue
Driver
mckay1402
wales606
LondonTiger
geoff998rugby
Sgt_Pooly
SirBurger
HongKongCherry
Cardiff Dave
king_carlos
dragon4life
formerly known as Sam
Hound of Harrow
Coleman
Welly
Bathite
whocares
PenfroPete
Bathman_in_London
yappysnap
Fluxy
HammerofThunor
lostinwales
George Carlin
Geordie
75 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season transfer rumours..... - Page 16 Empty Silly Season transfer rumours.....

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well its that time of year...pushing for new contracts...the rumour mill starts to fly...

Any you hear...post them here.....

The first two I've heard...

Priestland to Bath
Carl Fearns - Bath to Falcons.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Silly Season transfer rumours..... - Page 16 Empty Re: Silly Season transfer rumours.....

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 14 Mar 2015, 10:50 am

Dawiduik is staying but I think Lindsay will be pushing very hard to be 2nd choice. Daffy just hasn't improved in the last few years and I hope the competition from Lindsay will push both to fulfill their early potential. Lindsay will certainly add to the scrum but his throwing can be woeful at times. Fortunately he'll find ample supply in Glaws of banjos and cows' backsides Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Silly Season transfer rumours..... - Page 16 Empty Re: Silly Season transfer rumours.....

Post by Geordie Mon 16 Mar 2015, 9:48 pm

Taione Vea TH prop has signed from London Welsh. Havent seen much of him to be fair...but on the London Welsh unoffy they say we have signed a very competent TH exactly what we're looking for.

With him in addition to Ben Harris the young Leeds LH signing...Dean is addressing one of our real weak areas...If we can finally get a proper front row to compete...we'll most defo turn some of them close defeats to wins.

Dean Richards has himself signed a 3 year extension to his contract. Great news.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:10 am

Seen this morning reports that Tim Visser to Quins is almost a done deal. If that is true then that's an absolutely ridiculous signing. Quins issues appear obvious to everyone but Conor O'Shea it would seem.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:26 am

That can't be true Ozzy, I can't believe the management would be that stupid!

I guess at the end of the season we'll be losing Williams and Ugo.

That still leaves us with Charlie Walker (an electric young EQ wing), Marland Yarde (big bucks wing singing), Tikirotuma (good squad winger and good club man) who are all out and out wings. We then have Ross Chisholm and OLH who can cover.

That's 5 players before we even look at the academy. Add to that we just let Sam Smith go last season and it's baffling if true!

We need another lock! We need another front rower! We need a big 6 or a big 12! We do not need more wings!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:06 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2998045/Harlequins-set-complete-deal-Scotland-Edinburgh-winger-Tim-Visser.html
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:24 am

I agree that it's not where Quins should be directing their finances or attention.

As a signing on its merits, however, it's excellent.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:36 am

I may be wrong but hasn't Visser's form dropped quite a lot lately?

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:26 am

laughing

Sorry Yappy but that is funny. Connor seems obsessed with having great strike options outside. Lock, centre, blindside are the obvious priorities. To be honest I have no idea why your chief scout isn't currently based over in Samoa and doing a tour of the islands. Quins have plenty of finesse it's just the power you miss.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

There is an element of logic to it. Quins have been struggling to finish and score tries.

Visser has been a proven try scorer in the Pro12.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:51 am

SirBurger wrote:I may be wrong but hasn't Visser's form dropped quite a lot lately?
It's all relative with Timbo, given the ludicrously high standards he has set in the Pro 12.
He has been the top try scorer in the Pro 12 every year since he started playing in the league (2009) until last season.

The reason that golden boot record ended was because in October 2013, he absolutely smashed his leg against Treviso, breaking it in 2 places which saw him out for the entire season. He returned in summer 2014 and has gradually been getting back to speed. He did his back in at the start of this season, which limited his game time but he is now back to full fitness and form.

He is a prolific rifleman - 65 tries in something like 125 games for Edinburgh and 7 tries in 17 appearances for Scotland - including scores against the All Blacks, South Africa and Australia. His numbers are all the more amazing considering that he's spent his entire time playing for Edinburgh - a team that hasn't been much better than mediocre for the past 5 seasons.

How many would he have scored if he played for Leinster over the same period?

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:25 am

This is a strange signing given the obvious deficiencies, not least the desperate need to replace the iconic PDJ Shocked
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:39 am

Visser is very much a luxury player - if you put him an environment where he is full of confidence, give him front foot ball and put him into space, he will score tries by the bucketload.

As GC said though he had a horrific leg break in 2013 and took a year to recover from that. He has been blowing hot and cold since his return, but has still scored some cracking tries for Edinburgh.

The other problem is Solomons' tactics really don't suite him - Edinburgh's wingers spend all 80 minutes chasing kicks. There's no point having Visser earning loads of money to not use him properly.

Taking away the fact that 'Quins don't really need an expensive winger, I think it is a very good signing! Just don't expect him to do much tackling...

This is well worth a watch - hopefully he can replicate this kind of form for you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvKfbhHpB4

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

I think Visser's a great signing for Quins, he's been the most lethal finisher in the northern hemisphere for a few years now. Plus, his style will suit Quins far more than it does under Solomons at Edinburgh.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:34 pm

Scotland would be a lot more dangerous with a fit Tim Visser.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm

It's all well and good him being a lethal finisher, and if Quins problem was their back threes inability to finish chances off then he would be an excellent signing. Their issues however are a lack of ballast in the second row, a dynamic carrier in the back row and centre and very inexperienced props which means that at times their scrum goes backwards. Unless they address those issues, then Visser could be best finisher in the world, but he won't get the chances to show it.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm

You could be watching highlight reels of His Timness for a very long time.

If you watch no other, just take a look at the very first try scored here against Ulster:

With the possible exception of Trimble, no other winger in the Pro 12 could have done that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:53 pm

I'm keen to see how Visser gets on in the Aviva, and he could probably use a change of scene. Scotland needs him to regain his swagger and confidence, and it's difficult to do that endlessly chasing mostly misplaced box kicks.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:00 pm

There's no doubting his qualities as a winger but Quins just don't need another high profile winger. Irrespective of how good he is he won't add weight to the scrum help their incredibly green second row options nor offer the carrying ballast they need in the loose.

This is the second summer in a row Quins have signed a high profile winger at the expense of strengthening areas of greater need.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:16 pm

Havn't they signed James Horwill?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm

Richie Rees to Newcastle is doing the rounds, according to our forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:08 pm

Driver wrote:Havn't they signed James Horwill?

Yep think he arrives to quins after the world cup.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:14 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Richie Rees to Newcastle is doing the rounds, according to our forum

I doubt that one Rev as we have 3 good options signed up for next season already.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:laughing

Sorry Yappy but that is funny. Connor seems obsessed with having great strike options outside. Lock, centre, blindside are the obvious priorities. To be honest I have no idea why your chief scout isn't currently based over in Samoa and doing a tour of the islands. Quins have plenty of finesse it's just the power you miss.

Not at all sure about blindside, Sam. Clifford has been fantastic this season and there's Wallace and Chisholm as back up when Robshaw is away. We could probably do with one more player there as we're losing Trayfoot, but no high profile signing is needed.

That said, I'll take Croft if you're offering.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

Croft is out for the season and at a time where he was playing for a contract he might well be available.

Yes Quins have signed Horwill but are also losing Robson.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:18 pm

Tomh I was thinking you needed a big ball carrier in the back row. With 6 the most likely as your young talent seem to mostly play 8 and Easter is still around. Centre and lock were the positions I prioritised first for you guys. Just the impression I got is that you never replaced Mo.

Horwill is a replacement for Robson. It's the replacement for Kohn the Quins fans are still waiting for.

I think Croft will head to France. With his catalogue of injuries he'll probably end up retiring early and you can't blame him for topping up his pension pot first.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 17 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Tomh I was thinking you needed a big ball carrier in the back row.  With 6 the most likely as your young talent seem to mostly play 8 and Easter is still around. Centre and lock were the positions I prioritised first for you guys. Just the impression I got is that you never replaced Mo.

Horwill is a replacement for Robson. It's the replacement for Kohn the Quins fans are still waiting for.

I think Croft will head to France. With his catalogue of injuries he'll probably end up retiring early and you can't blame him for topping up his pension pot first.

Clifford and Chisholm can play across the back row. I agree we probably need one more face in there but not as first choice. I don't want anyone restricting those two's game time. Clifford is going to be immense if he stays fit.

Agree on Croft. Such a shame how it has turned out. He could of course go to Bristol if promoted or somewhere else if they were happy to overpay for him to get a big name in.

Agree Kohn was a big loss who we haven't replaced. Matthews is getting there but still has the odd shocker.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 5:06 pm

Japan would be a good fit for Croft.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:14 pm

The problem for Visser is that unless he can score a try before any one in the team touches the ball, one of the others will no doubt ruin it

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm

yappy - what depresses you more - Quins or England?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:28 am

Very Happy

Harlequins - I have to watch them more often, and spend 2 hours on the train to go watch their limp performances sometimes.

England while scarily similar to Harlequins at times are only around a few months of a year so I can recover between games.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:31 am

thomh wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Tomh I was thinking you needed a big ball carrier in the back row.  With 6 the most likely as your young talent seem to mostly play 8 and Easter is still around. Centre and lock were the positions I prioritised first for you guys. Just the impression I got is that you never replaced Mo.

Agree Kohn was a big loss who we haven't replaced. Matthews is getting there but still has the odd shocker solid to good game.

Kohn was a massive loss that we haven't covered, Matthews while physicaly looking the part, is still a long way off playing full time and carrying the pack like Kohn did. He has a very good game every so often, but the majority are anonymous or just cack.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed 18 Mar 2015, 9:34 am

He's showing glimpses. He works really hard and can do great work holding up opposition driving mauls. His defence isn't great though. He stands way too upright in tackles and can give the odd dim penalty away.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 19 Mar 2015, 12:18 am

On Tom Croft - a left field thought. Could he transfer to 7s for a year? He's got the physique for it. Could play in the scrum but also has the athleticism to get round the park better than anyone else we have there.

Obviously the money would not match what he could get in 15s but he'd be less at risk of injury and it would give him a shot at an Olympic medal.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 19 Mar 2015, 7:16 am

2 decent acquisitions for Tigers.

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-Tigers-sign-couple-Chiefs-Mike/story-26195501-detail/story.html

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:03 am

thomh wrote:On Tom Croft - a left field thought. Could he transfer to 7s for a year? He's got the physique for it. Could play in the scrum but also has the athleticism to get round the park better than anyone else we have there.

Obviously the money would not match what he could get in 15s but he'd be less at risk of injury and it would give him a shot at an Olympic medal.

Similar for Matthew Tait, quite possibly one of the best 7's players we have ever produced

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:04 am

Not bad shouts actually .. stick Varndell in there too if Bristol don't come up

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 20 Mar 2015, 9:05 am

Adam Jones to Quins??
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 20 Mar 2015, 9:47 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Adam Jones to Quins??

Interesting, that would leave the Blues with pretty much nothing in the THP department.

Mitchell is injured all the time and might well be let go,

Filise is surely finally going to retire

and rumour was that Scott Andrews was going to be shown the door too after barely featuring this year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 20 Mar 2015, 10:27 am

Risca Rev wrote:Richie Rees to Newcastle is doing the rounds, according to our forum

Is he the scrum half?

Cant see that happening as we have :
Blair - Whos class but may be retiring
Tipuna - Amazing kiwi SH - high tempo player
Fury - Looks like a career threatening injury
Tukulua - Powerhouse new tongan SH.
Youngs - Old SH returning to us.
Davies - Young academy lad...maybe moving on prob wont make it.

We also have another young lad in the academy who looks very promising.

So for next year that gives us:
Tipuna
Tukulua
Youngs

Don't need another one.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 20 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

Think you mean Young not Youngs. You wish you mean Youngs.

Adam Jones would get an almighty shock when shown the work rate of young Sinckler and being told to emulate that as well as sure up the scrum. Could be a great move all round though. Quick reinforce that tight five and they'll be a top four threat again.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 20 Mar 2015, 10:36 am

Adam Jones is on the wane - wouldn't sort Quins out at all in my opinion.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 20 Mar 2015, 10:50 am

Agree - so they should take him Smile

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 20 Mar 2015, 10:50 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Think you mean Young not Youngs. You wish you mean Youngs.

Adam Jones would get an almighty shock when shown the work rate of young Sinckler and being told to emulate that as well as sure up the scrum. Could be a great move all round though. Quick reinforce that tight five and they'll be a top four threat again.

Meh...whats in an S Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 20 Mar 2015, 3:11 pm

Here's the link to the article on Jones coming to Quins.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Adam-Jones-linked-English-Harlequins/story-26202114-detail/story.html

Not sure if he'd be handy or not. But I guess i'd be happy if he was A. cheap and B. there to help the young players learn as well as play.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 20 Mar 2015, 3:15 pm

Oh and a few sources on the Quins CAW are lining us with Usters Nikki Williams as a replacement 8...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 23 Mar 2015, 10:52 am

Midi-Olympique stating that Quins are also in talks with Gorgodze... He'd certainly make an impact in the Prem.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:18 am

yappysnap wrote:Midi-Olympique stating that Quins are also in talks with Gorgodze... He'd certainly make an impact in the Prem.

Now that's the kind of signing that Quins could do with.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:28 am

Did Quins ever actually confirm Visser? Or did we just do all of that ourselves?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:38 am

Nasi Manu to Edinburgh from the Highlanders. Cool
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:55 am

George Carlin wrote:Nasi Manu to Edinburgh from the Highlanders. Cool

Are you just making that up? That's great news if true.....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next