The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October

+88
Pal Joey
BigGee
haircut
protea438
westisbest
JDizzle
gavstar
bigndumb
Mr Fishpaste
trebellbobaggins
rozakthegoon
monty junior
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
Cyril
greenandpleasantland
Hood83
21st Century Schizoid Man
brennomac
nobbled
Hammersmith harrier
mckay1402
quinsforever
whocares
VinceWLB
sportform
nathan
kingraf
Geordie
InjuredYetAgain
Duty281
Taylorman
beshocked
wayne
goneagain
rainbow-warrior
Breadvan
profitius
HammerofThunor
munkian
Fantasticbarnsmell
glamorganalun
offload
hjumpshoe
nganboy
Runster
Sgt_Pooly
Tattie Scones RRN
gregortree
Newsilure
ScarletSpiderman
TJ
wrfc1980
thebandwagonsociety
Notch
No 7&1/2
chris_501
Fanster
Liam
SecretFly
Cardiff Dave
BamBam
Steffan
RubyGuby
Luckless Pedestrian
lostinwales
RuggerRadge2611
TightHEAD
fa0019
GavCanDance
FerN
blackcanelion
Rugby Fan
2ndtimeround
bedfordwelsh
Gwlad
Biltong
No9
Shifty
mikey_dragon
Seagultaf
yappysnap
wales606
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
George Carlin
92 posters

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October - Page 3 Empty QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October

Post by George Carlin Sun 11 Oct 2015, 7:08 am

First topic message reminder :

QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October - Page 3 Spring11        QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October - Page 3 Wales_13
SOUTH AFRICA v WALES

17 October 2015
16:00 BST (UTC+01)
Twickenham, London

Live on expensive telly

Ref: Wayne Barnes (England)
ARs: George Clancy (Ireland) and JP Doyle (England)
TMO: Graham Hughes (England)

A. Head to Head

30 Played 30
27 Won 2
1 Drawn 1
2 Lost 27
814 Points 440

B. Recent Form

29 November 2014
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
12–6 to Wales

21 June 2014
Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
31–30 to South Africa

14 June 2014
Growthpoint Kings Park, Durban
38–16 to South Africa

9 November 2013
15–24 to South Africa

11 September 2011
Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington
17–16 to South Africa

13 November 2010
25–29 to South Africa

5 June 2010
31–34 to South Africa

8 November 2008
15–20 to South Africa

C. TEAMS:
SOUTH AFRICA
QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October - Page 3 Tanit_10
Le Roux; Pietersen, Kriel, De Allende, Habana; Pollard, Du Preez (capt); Mtawarira, B du Plessis, Malherbe; De Jager, Etzebeth; Burger, Louw, Vermeulen.

Replacements: Strauss for Du Plessis (55), Nyakane for Tendai Mtawarira (56), J Du Plessis for Malherbe (60), Du Toit for Etzebeth (67), Alberts for Louw (67), Lambie for Pollard (76), Serfontein for Kriel (67), Pienaar (unused).

WALES
QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October - Page 3 Cather10
Anscombe; Cuthbert, Morgan, Roberts, North; Biggar, G Davies; Jenkins, Baldwin, Lee; Charteris, AW Jones; Lydiate, Warburton (capt), Faletau.

Replacements: Owens for Baldwin (56), James for Jenkins (55), Francis for Lee (55), Davies for Charteris (63), Tipuric for Lydiate (67), L Williams for G Davies (70), Priestland for Biggar (73), Hook for Morgan (67).

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 7:47 am; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October - Page 3 Empty Re: QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 12 Oct 2015, 4:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I'm not so sure. SA's back row are big and good enough to smash Tips off the breakdown. If anything, I'd start Lydiate, Tips and Warburton.

Our scrum has struggled all tournament so if you intended dropping Faletau as well then we would be well and truly fecked as the work he has done behind our beaten pack has been outstanding.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October - Page 3 Empty Re: QF1: South Africa v Wales, 17 October

Post by Gwlad Mon 12 Oct 2015, 5:21 pm

Biltong wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Too much to ask for Wales IMO.

How come? SA lost to Japan in the first round from coming in off the back of what was possibly their worst showing in the rugby championship. Are they that good? I don't think so.

Given the coach puts the right team on the pitch with the right captain they are a hell of a lot better than what yoou think.

They are very good at being a blunt instrument.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 12 Oct 2015, 5:23 pm

Don't worry fa and Bilt, you'll have my full support Hug

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Oct 2015, 6:05 pm

Oh with that news, I'm sure they're putting the celebratory bunting up as we speak BamBam.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 12 Oct 2015, 6:29 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I'm not so sure. SA's back row are big and good enough to smash Tips off the breakdown. If anything, I'd start Lydiate, Tips and Warburton.

Our scrum has struggled all tournament so if you intended dropping Faletau as well then we would be well and truly fecked as the work he has done behind our beaten pack has been outstanding.

Yeah true. But not sure that can save his bacon off the back of that Cuthbert-esque performance against Australia.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 12 Oct 2015, 6:32 pm

fa0019 wrote:
Steffan wrote:I think it will be a partisan crowd against Wales as well

You will have all the Saffers there plus the English supporters who got corporate tickets in advance or some who bought them thinking England would be there cheering against Wales

We can handle that though Wales

Because the springboks are the darlings of world rugby and everyone loves them right????

I know people like to engineer siege mentalities but trying to think a bok team will get anything but support beyond a bokke is having a laugh.

After England the boks are easily the most hated team in world rugby... albeit quite a few notches down from England.

Was responding to this quote Risca

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:23 pm

Jaw at 15 anyone?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:24 pm

Sorry guys, but I thought this bit was quite funny.

"“Out of the southern hemisphere teams, we’ve got the best record against them recently. There’s no denying they’ll bring a varied game and it will be a huge task. We’ll go into the game as underdogs,” said Biggar.

Yep, that one win does prove his point. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:31 pm

Biltong wrote:Sorry guys, but I thought this bit was quite funny.

"“Out of the southern hemisphere teams, we’ve got the best record against them recently. There’s no denying they’ll bring a varied game and it will be a huge task. We’ll go into the game as underdogs,” said Biggar.

But it does prove his point. SA is the ONLY tri nations team we've beaten recently! Not sure what's wrong with his comment. Maybe I'm reading it wrong Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:37 pm

Griff wrote:

But it does prove his point. SA is the ONLY tri nations team we've beaten recently! Not sure what's wrong with his comment. Maybe I'm reading it wrong Headscratch

Nothing wrong with it at all, it is factually correct, the reason why I thought it was funny is because of the one win.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:40 pm

Biltong wrote:
Griff wrote:

Nothing wrong with it at all, it is factually correct, the reason why I thought it was funny is because of the one win.

It's funny from an SA perspective I'm sure as it's an awful record (for Wales). But from a coaching perspective Biggar is right - if you've beaten a team before (even if we both played unbelievably poor - one of the worst games I've had the misfortune to witness) then it obviously gives you a bit more confidence. They can draw on that in a way they just can't do when facing Aus or NZ.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:48 pm

Biltong amping up the WUMMERY during the build-up for Saturday Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:51 pm

Ha! Would somebody please drag Biggar away from the mic and let him do his chopsing on the pitch.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 12 Oct 2015, 7:52 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Ha! Would somebody please drag Biggar away from the mic and let him do his chopsing on the pitch.

Have to agree, he's not the best with the media.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Oct 2015, 8:00 pm

He doesn't say too much wrong. What can he say about SH opposition and still be positive?

"Obviously given its SA, one of the big SH sides, we've had it. We'll go out and do ourselves justice by trying to keep their score down"

He has to give himself and his side a reason for going out and that's to bloody win if he can...as underdogs.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 12 Oct 2015, 8:02 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Jaw at 15 anyone?

When we get a new head coach maybe?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Oct 2015, 8:05 pm

Mikeydragon, wind yourself in, it was just a bit of humor, not everyhting has to be a wum or taken seriously .
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 12 Oct 2015, 9:05 pm

Biltong wrote:Mikeydragon, wind yourself in, it was just a bit of humor, not everyhting has to be a wum or taken seriously .

I didn't take it seriously hence the Wink. Humour seems lost on this South African.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 12 Oct 2015, 9:15 pm

I knew Mikey wasn't really offended. He is of course a Dragons supporter where a sense of humour is a must

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 12 Oct 2015, 9:17 pm

Steffan wrote:I knew Mikey wasn't really offended. He is of course a Dragons supporter where a sense of humour is a must

Good call. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 12 Oct 2015, 9:41 pm

SA just lost to Japan. Amazing how quickly lessons are forgotten.

Not a WUM, just a bit of humor.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 12 Oct 2015, 10:29 pm

I'd go:

James
Baldwin
Lee
Charteris
AWJ
Lydiate
Warbs
Faletau
Davies
Bigger
North
Roberts
T.morgan
M.morgan
Anscombe

Owens, Jenkins, francis, Davies, tips, Williams, preistland, hook

Big calls with the two Morgan's, but I thought Tyler Morgan offered more of a natural 13 threat going forward vs Fiji and I would prefer him there than hook. Cuthbert just cannot play for me, so I'd throw Mathew Morgan on the wing for that bit of X factor and also for his kicking ability which I think will be important vs South Africa. Of course both Morgan's offer less defensive protection but I feel we'll need more creativity in the backs as just matching South Africa up front won't win us the game alone.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 12 Oct 2015, 10:29 pm

Biltong wrote:
Griff wrote:

Ha ha ha..!

Yes it was an odd thing to say but one is a lot better than zero...!

As you can see in our massively depleted state, we will take whatever we get... Bit like using match.com on Barry island

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 12 Oct 2015, 11:52 pm

Steffan wrote:I knew Mikey wasn't really offended. He is of course a Dragons supporter where a sense of humour is a must

There we go. It's nice to be able to go and support a top flight team. When opposition fans come to Rodney Parade we prefer to humour them, rather than spit at them which is what I'm told take place at Sardis Road Very Happy.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 13 Oct 2015, 12:15 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

There we go. It's nice to be able to go and support a top flight team. When opposition fans come to Rodney Parade we prefer to humour them, rather than spit at them which is what I'm told take place at Sardis Road Very Happy.

Lies. No one has been spitting at Sardis for at least 2 seasons.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Tue 13 Oct 2015, 8:03 am

I'm not sure a fully fit Wales 22 would fear SA too much, their resuts over the last 12 months are incredible by their standards, their small unit play has been poor in this RWC, and they have very little threat outside of 12.

However with a potential backline Wales may put out it's asking way too much of the pack, who have been superb thus far, to do enough of a job for Wales to win.

What will be interesting is how SA will play, if they stick with the way theyve reverted to type I think it'll play into Wales hands, who have never really struggled with the physical approach, the game will be won in the wider channels, and so Habana, De Allande and Le Roux have to show some form.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 8:40 am

Liam wrote:I'd go:

James
Baldwin
Lee
Charteris
AWJ
Lydiate
Warbs
Faletau
Davies
Bigger
North
Roberts
T.morgan
M.morgan
Anscombe

Owens, Jenkins, francis, Davies, tips, Williams, preistland, hook

Big calls with the two Morgan's, but I thought Tyler Morgan offered more of a natural 13 threat going forward vs Fiji and I would prefer him there than hook. Cuthbert just cannot play for me, so I'd throw Mathew Morgan on the wing for that bit of X factor and also for his kicking ability which I think will be important vs South Africa. Of course both Morgan's offer less defensive protection but I feel we'll need more creativity in the backs as just matching South Africa up front won't win us the game alone.

Exactly the team I would play Liam. The Morgan brothers (I know) may not have been in our minds at the start of the tournament, but needs must.
I still think that is a pretty good pack and half back pairing. I would be happy with a 3-0 win, although it surely can't be as bad a game as when we beat them in the Autumn can it??

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Oct 2015, 8:58 am

Fanster wrote:I'm not sure a fully fit Wales 22 would fear SA too much, their resuts over the last 12 months are incredible by their standards, their small unit play has been poor in this RWC, and they have very little threat outside of 12.

However with a potential backline Wales may put out it's asking way too much of the pack, who have been superb thus far, to do enough of a job for Wales to win.

What will be interesting is how SA will play, if they stick with the way theyve reverted to type I think it'll play into Wales hands, who have never really struggled with the physical approach, the game will be won in the wider channels, and so Habana, De Allande and Le Roux have to show some form.

Fanster, "revert to type" has become a bit of a cliche to be honest, I am not even sure what people mean by that anymore to be truthfull.

However to answer your question, the pack will be physical, they will stampede the Welsh like a herd of Rhinos, Fourie du Preez will be the general in controlling the territory and decide when to go deep, Pollard isn't much of a game controller, I see him more as an extra 12 who can kick to posts. The difference in this South African backline (this is where reverting to type confuses me) with Pollard, De Allende and Kriel all prone to go for the gap rather than the crash ball, the South African backline attack has evolved, no longer are they as predictable as in the past.

Add Willie le Roux to the backline and he creates more space, delays passes and offloads, and puts support runners into space. Bot JP Pietersen and Habana looks hungry again, the 9 tries scored by them, their workrate and fitness has all improved.

You need to look at the big game changers for SA, and there are quite a number of them, all reaching form again.

Vermeulen is getting back to his best, Burger as link man looks to offload more and more, Pollard knows how to break a line, De Allende and Kriel may only be playing their 6th or 7th match together but their understanding of each other in defence and attack is improving.

Lood de Jager has been immense in this world cup.

If South Africa brings their A game, I do not see how Wales will match them, insofar as Wales Matching South Africa physically, refer to the November test in 2013 when South Africa just demolished them in the physical battle.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 8:59 am

Gwlad wrote:SA just lost to Japan. Amazing how quickly lessons are forgotten.

Not a WUM, just a bit of humor.

technically the last time Wales played Japan... they lost too.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:05 am

The rumours that a certain Mr Henson may get a call up are gathering momentum in some corners.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:07 am

I take it Henson has recovered now?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:12 am

Eli Walker called up.

I thought that a player who had been replaced could not be re-added to the dquad.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:13 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I take it Henson has recovered now?

Played for Bristol at the weekend

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:14 am

LondonTiger wrote:Eli Walker called up.

I thought that a player who had been replaced could not be re-added to the dquad.

LT,

I think it was because he was released before the tournament kicked off but either way least it means all the Henson rumours were just that thank god. I would stick Walker straight in on Saturday instead of Cuthbert
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:19 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:

LT,

I think it was because he was released before the tournament kicked off

Maybe, though excluding front row the reasons permitted for replacing a player are either compassionate reasons (family death or birth I guess) or a tournament ending injury. Obviousley to be called back up, Walker did not have a tournament ending injury Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:26 am

looking at 12 months ago, only 5 players in the SA survive from their defeat in the MS from the probable 15.
Of the other 10, Hendricks, Reinach, Mahoje, Coetzee did not make the final cut. Serfontein, Mvovo, Lambie, Matfield, Oosthuizen will not make the starting lineup and De Villiers is injured (although that probably improves the boks chances).

From a Welsh perspective,  9 of the starting XV 12 months ago should start on Saturday, of the rest 1/2p, Davies, Williams & Webb would have started had they been fit.

Not sure what that tells you... good for both really. Most of the Welsh can say with confidence they know how to beat the boks. Most of the boks can say they didn't taste defeat 12 months prior but enough to know if they don't play well or go back to their Japan/Argentina form they could lose.

Its was a pretty bad bok team to be fair

South Africa: Le Roux, Hendricks, Serfontein, De Villiers, Mvovo, Lambie, Reinach, Mtawarira, Bismarck du Plessis, Oosthuizen, Etzebeth, Matfield, Coetzee, Mohoje, Vermeulen.

I'd say on the face of it the current bok side would beat that side quite comfortably.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:29 am

Wales Online wrote:With limited time to get back up to speed with the rest of the group and confirm his fitness, Walker almost certainly won’t play any part in the quarter-final against the Springboks. But he could come into the equation if Wales progress to the semi-finals, with George North and Alex Cuthbert the only other wingers on board and North a candidate for the No 13 position, which is where he lined up in last weekend’s group decider against Australia.

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:29 am

Biltong wrote:
Fanster wrote:I'm not sure a fully fit Wales 22 would fear SA too much, their resuts over the last 12 months are incredible by their standards, their small unit play has been poor in this RWC, and they have very little threat outside of 12.

Fanster, "revert to type" has become a bit of a cliche to be honest, I am not even sure what people mean by that anymore to be truthfull.

However to answer your question, the pack will be physical, they will stampede the Welsh like a herd of Rhinos, Fourie du Preez will be the general in controlling the territory and decide when to go deep, Pollard isn't much of a game controller, I see him more as an extra 12 who can kick to posts. The difference in this South African backline (this is where reverting to type confuses me) with Pollard, De Allende and Kriel all prone to go for the gap rather than the crash ball, the South African backline attack has evolved, no longer are they as predictable as in the past.

Add Willie le Roux to the backline and he creates more space, delays passes and offloads, and puts support runners into space. Bot JP Pietersen and Habana looks hungry again, the 9 tries scored by them, their workrate and fitness has all improved.

You need to look at the big game changers for SA, and there are quite a number of them, all reaching form again.

Vermeulen is getting back to his best, Burger as link man looks to offload more and more, Pollard knows how to break a line, De Allende and Kriel may only be playing their 6th or 7th match together but their understanding of each other in defence and attack is improving.

If South Africa brings their A game, I do not see how Wales will match them, insofar as Wales Matching South Africa physically, refer to the November test in 2013 when South Africa just demolished them in the physical battle.

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:30 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:

LT,

I think it was because he was released before the tournament kicked off but either way least it means all the Henson rumours were just that thank god.  I would stick Walker straight in on Saturday instead of Cuthbert
I agree, I would go a back 3 of North, Walker and Anscombe.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:32 am

BamBam wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

BamBam, are you seriously supporting the Boks? Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:40 am

With heart and soul Bilt Hug

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:44 am

Want Wales to win. Do not think they will, but want them to.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:50 am

Quite confident that the boks will play well on Saturday. Something just seems to be flowing, they have that arrogance, that confidence back. Its a dangerous thing.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:59 am

Sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Oct 2015, 10:01 am

chris_501 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

LT,

I think it was because he was released before the tournament kicked off but either way least it means all the Henson rumours were just that thank god.  I would stick Walker straight in on Saturday instead of Cuthbert
I agree, I would go a back 3 of North, Walker and Anscombe.

Seems like it's not going to happen though. Massive shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 Oct 2015, 10:03 am

I expect Cuthbert Anscombe and North will be picked with either Morgan (my choice) or Hook at 13
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 10:04 am

Habana vs. Cuthbert.

uh oh!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 Oct 2015, 10:06 am

BamBam wrote:With heart and soul Bilt Hug

Believe it or not, I'm not just doing it to wind up the Welsh either, I've always liked the Boks

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Oct 2015, 10:08 am

fa0019 wrote:Habana vs. Cuthbert.

uh oh!

Should be quite a contest.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 Oct 2015, 10:09 am

fa0019 wrote:Habana vs. Cuthbert.

uh oh!

To be fair Habana against any of our candidates and that includes North doesn't fit me with any confidence.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next