The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup

+56
sensisball
blindsided
Noble-Surfer
alive555
Maddogflanker
NeilyBroon
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pie
miltonkeynesengland
Collapse2005
Heaf
SecretFly
Cyril
carpet baboon
jimbopip
Cumbrian
Rugby Fan
maestegmafia
Mr Bounce
mikey_dragon
Rinsure
formerly known as Sam
stub
yappysnap
king_carlos
IanBru
WELL-PAST-IT
reallybored
TightHEAD
demosthenes
Irish Londoner
tigertattie
Soul Requiem
bluestonevedder
nlpnlp
Khouli Khan
Duty281
Tattie Scones RRN
Yoda
Recwatcher16
Eejit
majesticimperialman
hugehandoff
Gooseberry
quinsforever
bsando
lostinwales
Tramptastic
Geordie
LondonTiger
BamBam
BigGee
EWT Spoons
No 7&1/2
RDW
60 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 Empty Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup

Post by RDW Mon 03 Feb 2020, 8:35 am

First topic message reminder :

GUINNESS SIX NATIONS 2020
8 FEB 2020
BT MURRAYFIELD
KICK-OFF 4:45 PM

Past results

201013 MarchScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England15–15MurrayfieldEdinburgh633915
201113 MarchScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England22–17TwickenhamLondon643915
20124 FebruaryScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England6–13MurrayfieldEdinburgh653915
20132 FebruaryScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England38–18TwickenhamLondon663915
20148 FebruaryScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England0–20MurrayfieldEdinburgh673915
201514 MarchScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England25–13TwickenhamLondon683915
20166 FebruaryScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England9–15[2]MurrayfieldEdinburgh693915
201711 MarchScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_England.svg England61–21[3]TwickenhamLondon703915
201824 FebruaryScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg Scotland25–13[4]MurrayfieldEdinburgh704015
201916 MarchScotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg Scotland38–38TwickenhamLondon704016
Teams

Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 HP7hDa92HluFnAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
TBC

Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 OZiWAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Furbank; May, Joseph, Farrell, Daly; Ford, Heinz; M Vunipola, George, Sinckler, Kruis, Itoje, Ludlam, Underhill, Curry

Replacements: Dunn, Genge, Stuart, Launchbury, Lawes, Earl, Youngs, Devoto

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:11 pm

Why would diamond get a say?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland V England - The Calcutta Cup

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:23 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Why would diamond get a say?

He has no say in where Eddie plays any Sale player, but has the absolute say on where they play for the club.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:25 pm

Khouli Khan wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:... 
A lot of this smack talk isnt so much about winding the opposition up as much as getting the players themselves into an aggressive must win mindset. It does look pretty stupid when it doesn't come off, but thats part of how its supposed to instil a must win attitude. I see these comments from Scotland players about them reminding themselves this game matters, and whipping the fans up a bit to get behind their team. 

I remember reading a book about British troops in Afghanistan and how they would still fix bayonets before an assault. It's not that they actually expect to use them but does certainly build a mindset.

We did expect to use them and we hoped we could get close enough to use them and I can assure you, we used them.

If you've got a bayonet, its another means of killing at your disposal, why wouldn't you expect to use it. It didn't give me a psychological edge personally. I wonder who wrote the book - probably RAF Regt :-)

What regiment KK, my son was in the Royal Engineers out there.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:43 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Why would diamond get a say?

He has no say in where Eddie plays any Sale player, but has the absolute say on where they play for the club.
You'd like to think it is in everyone's best interest that there is joined up thinking between the international coach and a club coach. There's no point Curry being earmarked as a long term number 8 for England if he's hardly ever going to play there for club.

As I said I can't imagine he's goign to play 8 for Sale overly much given their back row options, so it's a strange move from Jones.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:48 pm

Imagine if we were going into a world.cup with a 12 who's club insist hes a flanker

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:49 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Imagine if we were going into a world.cup with a 12 who's club insist hes a flanker
Crazy idea, would never work!  Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 05 Feb 2020, 2:53 pm

RDW wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Imagine if we were going into a world.cup with a 12 who's club insist hes a flanker

Unless that man is named Vernon!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 05 Feb 2020, 3:30 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:

#HePlaysWhereHeWants...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Feb 2020, 3:34 pm

IanBru wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:

#HePlaysWhereHeWants...
You're back Bru!!

That's your first post since hte Pro 14 final - did it take that long to get over??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 05 Feb 2020, 3:38 pm

Watson (the English one the one who plays for England) out. He has failed to recover from his calf injury.

Not sure yet if that means another game for Furbank or if the other new winger comes in.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 05 Feb 2020, 3:43 pm

RDW wrote:
IanBru wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:

#HePlaysWhereHeWants...
You're back Bru!!

That's your first post since hte Pro 14 final - did it take that long to get over??
Jimbo drove me and the Hagia Sophia there and back from the Toon that day, and I've been in therapy ever since.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 05 Feb 2020, 3:55 pm

Presumably Lost it means the same back 3 and Thorley coming onto the bench?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 05 Feb 2020, 4:17 pm

I wonder if Eddie will play Curry at 9 this week?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 05 Feb 2020, 6:48 pm

Earl is in the 25 man squad this time so for all the talk of curry at 8 it seems very likely to me we'll see curry, underhill and earl at 8.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 05 Feb 2020, 7:01 pm

I hope so, but I think he's going to go with Kruis and Lawes at lock and 6, leaving Curry at 8 and Earl / Ludlam on the bench with Launchbury

Ewels being completely dropped is no surprise

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 05 Feb 2020, 7:25 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Earl is in the 25 man squad this time so for all the talk of curry at 8 it seems very likely to me we'll see curry, underhill and earl at 8.

Id be WAY happier with that back row

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 05 Feb 2020, 7:29 pm

TightHEAD wrote:I wonder if Eddie will play Curry at 9 this week?

Bens not in the squad. Your lad Watsons injured so he cant cover Loosehead.

Launchberry in for Ewels and Earl for Hill from the previous reduced squad.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 05 Feb 2020, 7:32 pm

Surely Hills power would be worth a look.

And what about Willis...why is Jones not watching him?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed 05 Feb 2020, 7:46 pm

I'm not remotely convinced by the crisis situation talk coming from England. Losing two games in a row is not a crisis. Especially when one is the World Cup Final and the other is away to France at the Stade De France. I think it could be quite a technical battle, Hastings vs Ford is a battle of classy players. Neither Farrell or Johnson are huge players, and Jones and Jones are strike runners rather than bulldozers. England certainly have the edge on the wings as it stands, if he sticks with Furbank we definitely have the upper hand at full-back. Ali Price is I reckon on slightly better form than Youngs, but Youngs is a much better player. Neither sides are settled in the back-row. I am very worried about the strength of England's front-five especially at the set piece. These matches tend to be slogs and if England turn the scrums into penalty machines that will probably make the difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 05 Feb 2020, 7:53 pm

Sounds like Steve Diamond shares our opinion on Curry at 8

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1225134157778518023?s=21

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 05 Feb 2020, 7:57 pm

IanBru wrote:
RDW wrote:
IanBru wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:

#HePlaysWhereHeWants...
You're back Bru!!

Jimbo drove me and the Hagia Sophia there and back from the Toon that day, and I've been in therapy ever since.

So long as you still have one stone that we can nail to a mast, it’s all good bru
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 05 Feb 2020, 8:03 pm

BamBam wrote:Sounds like Steve Diamond shares our opinion on Curry at 8

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1225134157778518023?s=21

I had a feeling he would...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 05 Feb 2020, 8:25 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Surely Hills power would be worth a look.

And what about Willis...why is Jones not watching him?

I can see Hill starting against Italy. I just hope Earl is starting at Murrayfield now he's been retained in the 25 man squad. Hopefully we don't see all 4 locks forced into the 23. Itoje and George had arguably their worst England games so I don't think it's out of question for either to be benched.

1.Genge 2.Cowan-Dickie 3.Sinckler 4.Lawes 5.Kruis 6.Curry 7.Underhill 8.Earl
9.Youngs 10.Farrell 11.May 12.Devoto 13.Joseph 14.Thorley 15.Furbank

16.George 17.Vunipola 18.Stuart 19.Itoje 20.Ludlam 21.Heinz 22.Ford 23.Daly

The players are there to pick a much more balanced side with more carriers in the forwards and backs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 05 Feb 2020, 8:36 pm

I would love to see that side But i wont hold my breath.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 05 Feb 2020, 9:54 pm

I would not be surprised to see the same team as last week.....give the player a chance to prove it was a blip last week and not the norm.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 05 Feb 2020, 10:13 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I would not be surprised to see the same team as last week.....give the player a chance to prove it was a blip last week and not the norm.

Cant be exactly the same. No Ewells (left out) and no Tuilagi

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Wed 05 Feb 2020, 10:17 pm

Would love to see Devoto and Joseph in midfield, was disappointed when he left for Exeter. May Daly and Thorley as a back three certainly wouldn't be slow.
No concerns on the front five combination the back row mix needs either Earl or Ludlam at 8, but we'll see. Wilson's versatility has been missed.

Actually looking forward to this game as my brother-in-law has got me a ticket and there will be celebratory drinks after, either way....

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 05 Feb 2020, 11:05 pm

Surely with Manu out we need somone like big Ollie in there to offer some carrying in the midfield.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:19 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
RDW wrote:
I think the issue is he's not a 12! His influence is much more limited when he plays there.

He needs to play 10 IMO.

I thought Ford played an excellent game at 10 against France on the back foot. The kind of one Farrell would be expected to do, great kicks and good defense from him. It made me think maybe we dont need Faz on the pitch all the time.

There's this feeling that he needs to be on the pitch but ultimately Ford is a better 10 and he has had multiple meltdowns in the past 12 months.

You can clearly see that the England players want to impress Farrell. He has an aura about him that earns loyalty - however he is too fired up to make being the captain work. It should be Ford or Farrell - but that then means Eddie has to solve the issue of who will play in the centre. I am biased but view Ford as a better 10 than Farrell but my opinion is worth diddly squat.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:27 am

Humm I was saying that Ford played a really good kicking game against France and was definitely good enough to start without Faz at 12.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 06 Feb 2020, 8:07 am

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/steve-diamond-has-had-his-say-on-englands-curry-at-8-experiment

Completely unsurprising response from Steve.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Feb 2020, 8:22 am

yappysnap wrote:Humm I was saying that Ford played a really good kicking game against France and was definitely good enough to start without Faz at 12.

Ford has been brilliant for Tigers and very good for England for 2 years. Vitally his goal kicking has become far more consistent. 84% strike rate last season.

With Manu, Nowell and Cokanasiga injured we need carriers in the backs though. Thorley is a big bloke so can offer that better than Daly on the wing but realistically I hope that another carrier is in the midfield and Faz won't be dropped hence I benched Ford in the team I posted yesterday.

I've long been a fan of JJ. His performances when England had that huge unbeaten run were fantastic and he was the defensive lynchpin in the England side back then. I don't think he's looked the same player post injury though. His dynamic footwork and acceleration of old are now solid rather than spectacular. I hope he proves me wrong but I think Dingwall, Marchant and Ollie Lawrence will come into the frame at 13 fairly quickly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Khouli Khan Thu 06 Feb 2020, 8:24 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
RDW wrote:
I think the issue is he's not a 12! His influence is much more limited when he plays there.

He needs to play 10 IMO.

There's this feeling that he needs to be on the pitch but ultimately Ford is a better 10 and he has had multiple meltdowns in the past 12 months.

You can clearly see that the England players want to impress Farrell. He has an aura about him that earns loyalty - however he is too fired up to make being the captain work. It should be Ford or Farrell - but that then means Eddie has to solve the issue of who will play in the centre. I am biased but view Ford as a better 10 than Farrell but my opinion is worth diddly squat.

I'm not sure I can agree with that. Farrell is a good player but also comes across as a man 'talking a good game' on the pitch, in post match interviews, he is fairly quiet and level headed - but he's trotting out a well-rehearsed party line and of late even he has started to look like he doesn't believe in it. I don't doubt he's respected by the other players - he's the Captain after all, so they're unlikely to ignore his direction.

Aura? No - look no further than the likes of Martin Johnson for players who had an aura about them. Farrell comes across as monotone and unremarkable. To me anyway.

Khouli Khan

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 Feb 2020, 8:49 am

Ludlam to 6 and Lawes to lock is the rumour from the usual sources

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 06 Feb 2020, 9:06 am

BamBam wrote:Ludlam to 6 and Lawes to lock is the rumour from the usual sources

Slightly better, you'd expect to get some big gains at the breakdown with that back row.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 Feb 2020, 9:39 am

Yep, agreed. I actually like Ludlam as a carrier too, he seems to fix defenders and manage to get an extra couple of yards more often than not

Would mean Kruis and Earl off the bench which offers decent impact in that area too

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 06 Feb 2020, 9:42 am

"We are emotionally there. They hate us and we hate them. There is no difference," he said.

"We're revved up. We want to be brutal. We don't want to give them an inch to breathe. We're coming for them."

Its WAR...............

OK Lewis calm down fella. Just go out there and play the bloody game and win.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 Feb 2020, 9:45 am

Suddenly more media interest in Ludlam which backs up the suggestion he'll start

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:00 am

Can they not just play him at 8 though...

6 Curry
7 Underhill
8 Ludlum

Not Curry at 8!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:07 am

Outside of the scrum does it make much difference which shirts they are in

Main reason I wanted a proper 8 in the side was for the carrying side of things, if its going to be those 3 then doesn't really matter - I assume Curry has had the most practice controlling at the base!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:09 am

No but IN the scrum it does.

Ludlum has more experience at the base of the scum i believe.

However ideally i still think Ludlum is a flanker...and we need an actual 8 there.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:12 am

No8 is a very overrated position, everyone knows the Tighthead Prop is the key to all good teams. Wink
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:15 am

I do believe that Ludlum has played a few times at 8 for Saints.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:24 am

I stand corrected. Always thought he was a flanker through and through! Not that that's stopped Curry playing there

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:36 am

TightHEAD wrote:No8 is a very overrated position, everyone knows the Tighthead Prop is the key to all good teams. Wink

Lol TightHEAD!!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:37 am

i think Ludlum is more experienced at 8 than Curry...but why are we even debating this??

Play an 8 at 8 and flankers at flanker.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:37 am

Team is out

Mako
George
Sinckler
Itoje
Kruis
Ludlam
Underhill
Curry
Heinz
Ford
Daly
Farrell (c)
Joseph
May
Furbank

Dunn
Genge
Stuart
Launchbury
Lawes
Earl
Youngs
Devoto

Last edited by BamBam on Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:40 am

Heinz starting, Ewels bombed out, 6-2 split on the bench, Lawes back to lock - the only quibbles are Curry at 8 and the balance from 10-12-13 for me as I prefer a punchier carrier

Would have been harsh to drop Ford and Farrell is always starting so not many options there I guess

Edit - I'm a twonk and can't read Kruis is starting and Lawes is on the bench

Last edited by BamBam on Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:40 am

TightHEAD wrote:No8 is a very overrated position, everyone knows the Tighthead Prop is the key to all good teams. Wink

I believe Matt Hampson gave an interview a few years back that described the tighthead as the cornerstone of every team. Not that he has any bias obviously...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:41 am

Lawes twice? I know the man works hard but..

Tough on Marler.

Kruis starting apparently.

Odd subs - full front 5

Last edited by lostinwales on Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next