The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

+20
Brendan
Tramptastic
demosthenes
LondonTiger
Welly
EST
TheMildlyFranticLlama
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
king_carlos
NeilyBroon
Kingshu
thebandwagonsociety
bsando
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
jimbopip
BigGee
tigertattie
24 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes - Page 4 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by RDW Mon 20 Apr 2020, 12:10 am

First topic message reminder :

Previous gibberish

https://www.606v2.com/t69038p1050-glasgow-and-edinburgh-banter-thread-no-23-new-season-new-thread

Fixtures

Glasgow - none

Edinburgh - none

Scotland - none

Sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 May 2020, 10:45 pm

Sadly I don't live in Stockbridge anymore. I had to buy a house, so was forced to move slightly away from the centre of civilisation to Newhaven (up and coming....). Don't worry, the new place has plenty storage space for vintage wine and quarters for the butlers.

Mrs fES and Young Madam fES are also fine, and we're all still just about speaking to each other.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 May 2020, 10:12 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Sadly I don't live in Stockbridge anymore. I had to buy a house, so was forced to move slightly away from the centre of civilisation to Newhaven (up and coming....). Don't worry, the new place has plenty storage space for vintage wine and quarters for the butlers.

Mrs fES and Young Madam fES are also fine, and we're all still just about speaking to each other.

How terribly American of you. Do the shops in Newhaven accept cash? Foreign or otherwise?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 May 2020, 10:50 am

jimbopip wrote:Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad censored censored censored censored

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.edinburghrugby.org%2Fedinburgh-rugby-team%2Fmatt-smith%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1IxMZBFzGIlDpj6VHDb71xDiSOEGhtfonHSkGqfH6RV8YD2V4hZSzgfIg&h=AT2V4FI_A1oUMaHvW7TiCANlBVteh7hq7JmO1m_0zE6GXZXlOTudUDRAX5NumUGOYUMh5PJuOP11Rk2UTdPloCgZNccKMZIktu3alb8W9LSKKfVkzeadNOfcqNw4Skwlfb3mr0m2K4FYfDwgcQdu

Matt Smith to Edinburgh????
Shocking.

The only thing that would make this in any way acceptable is if Voluvola is joining us from racing 92 and has a clause in his contract stipulating he must be the Pretty Boy in the club.

That is a bonkers decision. Maybe as a replacement for Barclay?

Still, Edinburgh have a fully functioning and decent backrow while Glasgow, well, they cant even inspect rucks these days!

Hope it wont mean Smith gets pushed further down the development route with a lack of gametime.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2020, 10:53 am

What's the story? That link just gives his player profile that said he's signed to the end of this season (which is correct).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 May 2020, 11:51 am

He was on loan at LS (I think) and when that finished Glasgow announced that his contract wouldn't be renewed at the end of this season. Next day the MFL announced that he was on loan till the end of the season.
I wonder if he pissed on someone's cornflakes. He won't play for the Luvvies before next season but presumably they'll pay his wages. Mind he's probably furloughed. But if he's furloughed he could have remained a Warrior till the end of the season. The Luvvies are definitely not short of back row options: they had to lose Matt Scott because they couldn't afford him but they have money for another 7?
I'm guessing that the SRU have him on some sort of central contract so he must go somewhere but someone at Scotstoun has refused to take him back.
OR ... Cowboy Dave rated him fifth behind ; Batman, Cully, Mullet and Fozzie. I wouldn't be surprised.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2020, 11:55 am

I'm still confused - the Matt Smith to Edinburgh loan deal was announced months ago?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theoffsideline.com/matt-smith-joins-edinburgh-on-loan-until-end-of-the-season/amp/

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 May 2020, 1:22 pm

RDW wrote:I'm still confused - the Matt Smith to Edinburgh loan deal was announced months ago?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theoffsideline.com/matt-smith-joins-edinburgh-on-loan-until-end-of-the-season/amp/

clearly we've all (cept flounder) forgotten in the cloud of Covid lockdown mentalness!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2020, 1:25 pm

We discussed it on here - you probably even said something!

I know Jimbo's going senile but what's your excuse??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 May 2020, 1:28 pm

Say again Flounder Luvvies have signed George Smith on loan as an addition to their back row? Is he not a bit old?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 May 2020, 4:01 pm

jimbopip wrote:Say again Flounder Luvvies have signed George Smith on loan as an addition to their back row? Is he not a bit old?

Nah, he just came to Edinburgh to pay homage to Hamish Watson, and welcome him to the world class openside flanker society.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 May 2020, 4:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Say again Flounder Luvvies have signed George Smith on loan as an addition to their back row? Is he not a bit old?

Nah, he just came to Edinburgh to pay homage to Hamish Watson, and welcome him to the world class openside flanker society.

The sea air in NotquiteStockbridgeButUpAndComing is doing wonders for your repartee,Fes. Wink

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2020, 11:17 pm

RDW wrote:
RDW wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW wrote:Hi all - a bit of self promotion if you care to indulge me (for charity)

https://www.606v2.com/t69578-3046-push-ups-for-3046-lives-lost-to-suicide#3903585

Nice one RDW, for a good cause too, will pop some money in the pot later.

On the subject of Edinburgh, they've just signed Chamberlain as expected and a couple of other youngn's.

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/e

If Jaco trains with the Scotland squad next year, Chamberlain may get a couple of chances off of the bench. Hopefully Cockers has learnt from Sheil to trust his young players more. Haven't heard much about the other two though?

Thanks Nelly! And thanks to Biggee for his donation Hug

And so it begins! First 20 done before breakfast. On one hand I was please I could do 20 in a row but on the other it was worrying how hard it was! Erm

Please support me here for those who are able

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ross-whiteside1

Thanks for the donations so far - I'm 45 quid short of 500 pounds (my damn Aussie keyboard doesn't have a pound key) so would be great to reach that before the end of week 1 if anyone else is able to contribute!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 14 May 2020, 11:18 am

Done, although I'm concerned that these push ups are too easy for you. I just did 10 and collapsed in a heap....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2020, 11:24 am

Amazing FES - thanks very much! Was just 180 today...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 14 May 2020, 11:33 am

I shall, of course, drop a few bawbees in the collection plate Flounder. I'm just waiting to make sure you're sticking at it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2020, 1:03 pm

jimbopip wrote:I shall, of course, drop a few bawbees in the collection plate Flounder. I'm just waiting to make sure you're sticking at it.

Thanks Jimbo Hug

For those interested I invested in some suspension straps to be able to mix in some pull excises to balance all the pushing (which you're encouraged to do). It does mean my flat looks like the overspill from the 50 shades of grey set but it does the job!

If I don't look like Thom Evans in 2 and a bit weeks I want my money back.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 14 May 2020, 1:12 pm

Flounder, I've seen your photo and it made me think of the immortal Shel Silverstein lyric

"I could get myself a nose job...I could diet for a year...but I'd never be Robert Redford cause I'm much too fond of beer"
Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2020, 1:22 pm

You're a real charmer!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 14 May 2020, 1:23 pm

I demand a refund! oh yeah

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 14 May 2020, 4:09 pm

RDW wrote:We discussed it on here - you probably even said something!

I know Jimbo's going senile but what's your excuse??

I more than likely did. Especially if it was discussed during the week and I was bored at work!

I think I may be going senile to be honest. I've got the grumpy old man thing down so may as well make it a double.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 14 May 2020, 5:25 pm

Your having a double? I don't mind if I do. Whisky

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 14 May 2020, 11:26 pm

I'm watching Days of Thunder. A sure fire sign that I've had too much to drink.

My latest theory is that Hastings and Taylor are Scotland's best centre combination. Something to ponder.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 May 2020, 12:20 am

Jim Renwick- Toonie
Dunbar - Hastings
McGeechan- Huw Jones
Lineen -Schlong

The last one would be one for the purists. To be fair the back three could be Tigertattie-Fes-Bru it wouldn't matter as they would never see the ball.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 15 May 2020, 12:22 am

Who would partner Pete Horne? Di Rollo...?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2020, 12:54 am

Jim McLaren or Andy Henderson. Both wonderful centres, provided you don't ask for passing or creativity to be a core skill for an international rugby centre.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 15 May 2020, 12:57 am

You're up late for a school night FES!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2020, 12:58 am

jimbopip wrote:Jim Renwick- Toonie
Dunbar - Hastings
McGeechan- Huw Jones
Lineen -Schlong

The last one would be one for the purists. To be fair the back three could be Tigertattie-Fes-Bru it wouldn't matter as they would never see the ball.

I think you'll find that I'd be highly effective. I'm a leader you see, in the mould of your all time hero, Al Kellock. I'd shout "come on lads" all the time, and talk about giving "110%". Just ignore everything else and I'll soon be a club "legend".

Dunbar/Hastings would be awesome by the way. Not quite Leslie/Tait, but hey ho.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2020, 12:59 am

RDW wrote:You're up late for a school night FES!

I'm watching cricket highlights on Sky with my new mates, Innis & Gunn. I stooped to boxing the other night.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 15 May 2020, 1:06 am

All sounds a bit lairy - next you'll be saying you'll finish the night with an Earl Grey!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2020, 1:11 am

You must have met Mrs fES. Peppermint tea at 10pm. Wild times.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 May 2020, 10:12 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I'm watching cricket highlights on Sky with my new mates, laughing Innis & Gunn. I stooped to boxing the other night.....
I'll wager MrsFes won on points. Again.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 15 May 2020, 11:38 am

jimbopip wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I'm watching cricket highlights on Sky with my new mates,  laughing Innis & Gunn. I stooped to boxing the other night.....
I'll wager MrsFes won on points. Again.

I'd wager it was a KO (Old FES fell asleep)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2020, 11:42 am

Definitely! No arguments on that one!

All this talk of boxing has made me watch Tuilagi lamping Ashton again. That has to be the finest punch thrown in professional rugby.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 May 2020, 2:16 pm

To be fair...any right hander to the boat race of Chris Ashton would make my shortlist of finest punch thrown in professional rugby.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2020, 2:49 pm

Jim Hamilton on David Paice is another favourite.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 17 May 2020, 12:49 pm

Mark Palmer Interview with Rory Hughes in the Sunday Times.

It would be good if he gets another shot somewherre else, he is only 27 and should be at his peak really and we may never have seen the best of him.

It is going to be tough for him in the current climate unfortunately.

“Constant anxiety, that’s what you feel,” says Rory Hughes. “A week goes by, then another, and you’re still not hearing anything. You see boys getting picked up, and you’re thinking, ‘Why isn’t it me?’ I know I need to bide my time, but bills don’t have time. They don’t understand the situation.”
Hughes is talking about the stress of coming out of contract in the middle of a pandemic. Glasgow last week confirmed the winger is being let go when his current deal ends next month, after a nine-year association.
The 27-year-old has known his Scotstoun fate for a while, but in terms of fixing up what happens next, there’s only so much that he and prospective employers can do with the sport and market paralysed.
“Me and my agent have been knocking on a lot of doors, but with everything that’s happened and is still happening, not many clubs know where they stand or what things are going to look like financially. Lots of questions need to be answered before they can even look at more recruiting.

“I’m doing my best to sell myself, but you can’t really sell yourself if nobody wants to talk to you and you can’t show the passion you have.”

“Constant anxiety, that’s what you feel,” says Rory Hughes. “A week goes by, then another, and you’re still not hearing anything. You see boys getting picked up, and you’re thinking, ‘Why isn’t it me?’ I know I need to bide my time, but bills don’t have time. They don’t understand the situation.”
Hughes is talking about the stress of coming out of contract in the middle of a pandemic. Glasgow last week confirmed the winger is being let go when his current deal ends next month, after a nine-year association.
The 27-year-old has known his Scotstoun fate for a while, but in terms of fixing up what happens next, there’s only so much that he and prospective employers can do with the sport and market paralysed.
“Me and my agent have been knocking on a lot of doors, but with everything that’s happened and is still happening, not many clubs know where they stand or what things are going to look like financially. Lots of questions need to be answered before they can even look at more recruiting.
“I’m doing my best to sell myself, but you can’t really sell yourself if nobody wants to talk to you and you can’t show the passion you have.”

One of the challenges Hughes faces is that some presume they already know him. He has long been held up as a symbol, a trailblazer who fought his way through from a tough Glasgow estate to starting for Scotland. A breath of fresh air in the often cloyingly middle-class bubble of Scottish rugby. Hughes is proud of his Castlemilk roots, but there is no doubt that he has sometimes been treated as a bit of curio as a result.
Two court appearances — neither of which resulted in a conviction — have done little to alter the narrative of a man with rough edges, and just last month, when hosting a live session on his Instagram account, Hughes used offensive language to describe a participant while taking swigs from a bottle of Buckfast. It was an open goal for the tabloids, one Hughes does not seek to excuse, but does wish to contextualise.
“I shouldn’t have used the words I did as I didn’t mean them and I’m embarrassed by it, because I hold myself to a higher standard,” he says. “I’ve apologised to the people who needed it, and I’m annoyed with myself for letting a couple of folk get what they wanted by me messing up.

“I can understand and take a ‘bam up’, but these people had been properly trolling me for a while, posting details of where I live. I shouldn’t have let them get a reaction, and as I say I’m embarrassed by what I said, but anyone who knows me knows that’s not who or what I am in the slightest. That’s what I’m saying to people, to clubs, now, ‘Just give me five minutes, speak to me, and then make the judgment.’”
Leicester was supposed to be his fresh start. Hughes joined on loan in January, after just three Glasgow appearances this season. He was beginning to settle — and play — at Welford Road when everything shut down.
“My big goal was to make a statement and bring something different to the squad. I wasn’t looking at it as something to do for a few months then bugger off again, and I was really enjoying it. When Leicester announced they weren’t keeping me on as well, I got a load of messages from coaches, physios and S&C [strength and conditioning] folk saying I’d brought what they needed on and off the pitch in terms of that fighting spirit, but there’s obviously a big political thing about being England-qualified.”

When Dave Rennie took over at Glasgow in 2017, Hughes had just won his third and fourth Scotland caps, starting in the win over Australia in Sydney (“the best day of my life”) but he started only a dozen games under the New Zealander, who brought in other wide men. When Rennie took the Australia job, Hughes had chats with his replacement, Danny Wilson, but staying wasn’t an option.
“Danny knows what kind of player I am, from playing against [his] Cardiff [team] and from me being in and around the Scotland set-up, but with so many boys in contract, he said it would be quite hard to justify re-signing me without seeing it with his own eyes. He told me to go away on loan and that’s what I did, but then all this happened.
“It really is the end of an era for me, because from a really young age playing for Glasgow was what I wanted to do. I remember running about the south side with that old black-and-purple checked shirt on — a big heavy cotton thing — and nobody else knew what it was. They didn’t know what rugby was. I always wanted the opportunity and I got it, and I stuck out some terrible contracts, with them always waiting till the last minute. I’d have done anything for the club because Glasgow is my city. I’m born and bred, which can be both a bad and a good thing, but it’s made me the person I am.”

Hughes concedes that he and Rennie ’did butt heads a few times’. “I kept asking questions about what I needed to work on and when I would get my opportunity, but it didn’t really work out. I just thought it would be healthy if a player and a coach can have that open and honest conversation. If something doesn’t sit right with me or doesn’t make sense to me, I’m going to ask questions until I understand.”
Hughes says he still has “a lot of heart and a lot of love for the sport” and is willing to go “anywhere” for that next opportunity. Yet even as he leaves, he hopes Warriors hold onto the qualities that powered their growth under Sean Lineen and Gregor Townsend. “When I first came to the club, they’d just adopted that ‘Whatever it takes’ slogan. Regardless of where you came from, you learned the Glasgow way and bought into it. Under Gregor, we spoke a lot about the shipyards, the Barras [market], the Old Firm, but when Dave came in it’s been more about the Scotland-England stuff, the Battle of Bannockburn, which has nothing to do with Glasgow. I feel there is a wee bit of a difference in that culture, but guys like Pete Horne, Chris Fusaro, Ryan Wilson, who have been through it all from the start, will hopefully keep it going.

“As for me, I’m willing to do anything for wherever I end up. That’s what I’m about and always have been.”

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 May 2020, 3:02 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Jim Hamilton on David Paice is another favourite.

That's a great fight. Bit of a "what were they thinking" but I spose heat of the moment.

https://youtu.be/CnT4fNOxgSU

This one is a fan favourite for the WR faithful. Even more so than Manu on the splash.

https://youtu.be/CdNObgWW3jY

There's the also the how did he stay on his feet.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 17 May 2020, 4:48 pm

Julian White! Cracking scrummager. Two haymakers on O'Kelly and it's a yellow card!! A well earned 10 minutes....

Shame for England that they couldn't combine White's scrummaging prowess with Vickery's ball carrying.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 17 May 2020, 5:04 pm

It would be a step down for Hughes, obviously, but i wonder if London Scottish could house him. He'd be very handy at that level.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 May 2020, 6:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Julian White! Cracking scrummager. Two haymakers on O'Kelly and it's a yellow card!! A well earned 10 minutes....

Shame for England that they couldn't combine White's scrummaging prowess with Vickery's ball carrying.

He couldn't pass the skills in to Vickery but probably more usefully he was an excellent mentor for Dan Cole.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 17 May 2020, 9:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Julian White! Cracking scrummager. Two haymakers on O'Kelly and it's a yellow card!! A well earned 10 minutes....

He couldn't pass the skills in to Vickery but probably more usefully he was an excellent mentor for Dan Cole.

True. I really do hope that Cole's scrum issues in the WCF and over the last season or so don't overly taint his legacy. He was an outstanding scrummager and player for most of his career.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 May 2020, 10:10 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:

True. I really do hope that Cole's scrum issues in the WCF and over the last season or so don't overly taint his legacy. He was an outstanding scrummager and player for most of his career.

Yeah I feel he got a lot of unfair flack for that. Sinckler is not a better scrummager there's no guarantee if he'd stayed on he'd have fared any better. Considering the frankly massive Bok pack and the fact that England picked mobility over set piece strength in hindsight it wasn't a surprise.

Cole's certainly still got it see him and Genge take Marler and Sinckler to the cleaners at scrum time this season. The next one off the production line is coming along nicely as well and Cole is there to mentor him along.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 17 May 2020, 10:46 pm

Yep, scrummaging is not a one man effort. Matt Proudfoot prepared that Boks scrum superbly well whereas Jones had a much more expansive game plan in mind.

As this as a Scottish club rugby thread and I will get us back on track. The current crop of Scottish props is the best we've had in terms of quality and depth for a very long time. By the next 6 Nations:

Tighthead: Fagerson, Nel, Berghan

Loosehead: Sutherland, Kebble, Dell

Useful options.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 18 May 2020, 8:42 am

Fragerson is a bit hot tempered which isn't a bad thing as long as he can rein it in. Has looked good and seems to be developing well, could be a very handy tighthead for a number of years.

Sutherland seems very highly rated. Not seen a lot of him but if Cockers is backing him he must have something.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 May 2020, 8:46 am

Sutherland had a horrendous injury where he literally had to stay on the couch for months and he pretty much missed a few seasons from it. He's only just come back into proper fitness. He's also been stuck behind Pierre Schoeman at Edinburgh so found gametime limited.

It certainly came as a pleasant surprise just how good he was in the 6N! He was definitely in the running for team of the tournament. We all knew he had it in him but he'd had such a stop start last few years.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 18 May 2020, 8:56 am

I share your optimism in the short term, Fes, but I'm not too sure about the medium to long term prospects.

At Scotstoun we have Fagerson and Kebble as first choice fatboys. Young Ragnar is easily the best TH Scotland have produced in a very long time and is young enough to be first choice for some time. Kebble on the other hand  Headscratch He is a powerful, destructive scrummager and should be SQ by the time we're playing again. However, I'd hate to be trapped in a lift with him and Jim Hamilton. He gives away a lot of silly penalties and collects yellow cards like you collect Faberge eggs. And for a big laddie he gets hurt very easily and is hors de combat fairly regularly.
Glasgow's next two off the rank are Seuili and Pierrotto neither of whom are SQ. As far as SQ props go the third choice pairing at Scotstoun; Jinksy Allan and The Fugitive seem unable to make the step from "good squad player" to "demanding a first team jersey" so neither will be troubling Toonie's selection nightmares.

Geoff Boycott always says that with cricket you should add to wickets to whatever the score is to get an honest idea of how a team are faring:
so 125 for 2 might look reasonable but if two wickets fell quickly 125 for 4 the game could be slipping away from you. Similarly with our bank of props ( a pudding of props?) Take away Sutherland and Ragnar and we're going into a match with Nel, who is probably in the autumn of his international career and Kebble who might last 40 minutes without a yellow card and/or injury.

However, long term Thornton and Nicol look real prospects and hopefully Petrus can mould them in his own image.

Last edited by jimbopip on Mon 18 May 2020, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 May 2020, 8:59 am

I'm not concerned about Fagerson's temperament. Sutherland had a tremendous 6 Nations but I'm not one of those to be calling for him to be a Lions just yet. I'd like to see him repeat the trick next year. My worry is that he could be another Ryan Grant.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 May 2020, 9:06 am

To be fair Jimbo we've somehow always managed to survive with just enough props for most of the 6N era. It's a catch 22 - you want to develop depth, but to do that you need to spread around opportunities and gametime. If you do that then individuals don't get as much exposure and therefore don't become as good! That combined with the fact that good Scottish props are as difficult to find as a bar of soap in Glasgow.

Come the next WC we will have lost Nel but gained Kebble (albeit a LH). That blow has been significantly softened by Fagerson coming into his own as a proper tighthead. Berghan is a perfectly capable backup for the next few years and is an experienced guy now. Beyond those two? The cupboard is definitely bare.

LH hopefully Sutherland, Dell and maybe Kebble will keep us competitive until the Schoe qualifies and wreaks havoc against all who stand against him. Again beyond that? Very bare.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 May 2020, 9:14 am

To be fair Jimbo, not many positions for Scotland withstand the Boycott "take two away" test. Take McInally and Brown away, or Russell and Hastings, or Hogg and Kinghorn for example, and you'll be left with either a rookie or a tried and failed.

In the past our resources at prop would have failed a "take one away" test, so I do think we're in decent shape for the next couple of years.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 May 2020, 9:49 am

No-one talking about Murray McCallum, but he's only 24 and has looked handy at times.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next