The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

+29
LeinsterFan4life
lostinwales
RDW
Heaf
Tattie Scones RRN
Mcsweens
Mad for Chelsea
sensisball
RiscaGame
Tramptastic
Margin_Walker
No 7&1/2
Anglobraveheart
EWT Spoons
demosthenes
Old Man
EST
tigertattie
TJ
Highland Shaun
Geordie
bsando
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
jimbopip
George Carlin
33 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 18 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by George Carlin Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:59 am

First topic message reminder :

For those Scottish and Scottish-rugby interested posters who just cannot seem to shut the feic up about it.

26,000 posts of abject nonsense and incorrect usage of the quote function (and counting).

We should be proud. king
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 18 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by jimbopip Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:09 pm

Well at last Miotti gets a start.
Johnson-Steyn could do some damage.
Fifita-McLean- Smith has a lot of running in it.
If Horne and Miotti click and get the back line moving we could see a Bonus Point win tomorrow.
The pack should be plenty strong although the Benetton 7, Yaree Fantini, put in some very good performances for Ayrshire Bulls last season. Did he spend enough time in Ayr to become World Class?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 18 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by RDW Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:41 pm

Absolutely howler from Kinghorn passing to no-one putting Edinburgh under huge pressure

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:58 pm

Not a good game from Kinghorn - another loose pass turns over possession which ultimately led to a Munster try.

His go to option 99% of the time is a long miss pass but teams just read it now and put us under pressure. I. This case he intercepted.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:26 pm

34-20 Munster. Some good from Edinburgh but a lot of bad with several dropped balls and bad passes. We had to work really hard for our points with the Munster scores coming much easier.

I was impressed with Glenn Young when he was on - got a.fee lineout steals and really physical in the carry.

Bennett went off with a bad looking injury and Haining took a sore one to his shoulder.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:11 pm

That was a game that Edinburgh could have got something from but it was also a game where Kinghorn showed he is nowhere near an international FH yet, poor loose passing and could not bring any control into the game.

Bennett and Haining both played well but MB got injured taking a poor option in coming inside on a dummy that was not taken.

A frustrating side to watch atm Edinburgh. To many silly mistakes and are getting found out by the better teams in the league.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:17 am

Agree. We fought back well after a really poor first 20 minutes (being utterly schooled at the breakdown), but we choked in several key points of the match. That try at the end of the first half must have had Blair ripping his hair out.

Muncaster looks a player (Kunivola had a shocker off the bench) and I thought Boyle really warmed into the game. Haining was good as well; he really does make good yards out of nothing.

Hopefully we'll have learnt a lot from the last two games. We can't afford to switch off against these teams and make silly errors. Some of the breakdown penalties we conceded were borderline criminal in their stupidity.

Also, as an aside, I thought Ben Whitehouse was excellent in warning players not to trap people in the ruck when they're trying to roll away. It's cynical and teams are doing it more and more.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:40 pm

Well Warriors go 5 in a row on a filthy night at Scotstoun.

A night for the purists certainly, but we will take the points.

Ollie Smith looks better by the game and big Ollie Kebble, putting in a compelling case for a Scotland recall.

Benetton, even in their depleted International shorn form certainly turned up and their kids were a credit to them. If they continue to improve, there won't be to much wrong with Italian rugby going forward.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:49 pm

I think that last night's performance was better than a lot of people are saying.
It was, as Gee said, a filthy night. Not a night for playing flowing rugby.
Benetton have steadily been developing into a decent side and are no pushovers.
On the positive side; Smith, McLean, Dobie, Thompson and McDowall are all progressing and getting game time.
Domingo Miotti? Still not sure, but a horrible night to make your debut.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:04 pm

jimbopip wrote:I think that last night's performance was better than a lot of people are saying.
It was, as Gee said, a filthy night. Not a night for playing flowing rugby.
Benetton have steadily been developing into a decent side and are no pushovers.
On the positive side; Smith, McLean, Dobie, Thompson and McDowall are all progressing and getting game time.
Domingo Miotti? Still not sure, but a horrible night to make your debut.

Apparently Thompson was sent on with the remit to bring some control to the game by bringing some intelligent kicking to the party. He certainly did that.

Harsh to judge Miotti on one game and as Jim says, likely to have been trying to hard. I would still like to see a bit more of him before making up my mind, possibly will come more into the mix as the weather begins to improve in the spring.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am

Kiran McDonald moving to Wasps.

A good move for him to try and break into a starting spot, especially now he is on the brink of the Scotland squad.

It leaves Glasgow short of a lock though, even with Du Preez coming in, so you would imagine another one will be on their way. Maybe Johnny Gray?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:12 pm

I would imagine that he'll be earning enough to put both bars on through the winter. It's a good career move; he has become a good squad member without claiming a regular starting spot. Similarly he is in the Scotland squad but probably 5th or 6th in line. Hopefully this move will allow him to make the next step in his career.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:00 pm

I like McDonald and think he will do well at Wasps. He is third choice at Glasgow and about to be fighting for that spot with JP Du Preez. Would he have been happy to be a rotational player and needing an injury to be in the 23 for the games that matter?

If J Gray is not coming back, Craig could be an interesting choice to bring up to Glasgow. Struggling to stay fit at Gloucester, can cover BS and maybe needs a change of scenery. Would offer something different to the JP Du Preez/McDonald types and is far younger than Harley.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:10 pm

That other big SA, SQ lock Maltheusian is also still being talked about as well.

I am sure we will have someone incoming at some stage!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:44 pm

Big shame that, I think he is a good player - very dynamic for a guy of his size. We will definitely need another body in for next season, I think R. Gray is out of contract at the end of the season - he may want one final pay day somewhere. Max Williamson has been good for the U20's this season, he certainly looks physically ready for more game time. His more fancied U20s colleague, Alex Samuel, hasn't appeared in the S6 or the international set up this year and I think I remember a team announcement saying he was injured. I don't rate Bean or Bain at all - I don't think either are good enough for a pro club spot.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:42 pm

Bean is a decent squad player and will fill a gap for a year or so. He won't be costing very much and has a great back story.

RG however, is on big money and may or may not have been worth it. He is certainly proving more durable this season and is a good option for when the internationals are away, his decision not to play for Scotland has certainly been to Glasgow benefit. I don't think he will move away though, he has moved back to Glasgow for family reasons and I can't see him going off again. He may or may not sign on a lesser contract next year, but if not I see him retiring.

Excluding the two promising youngsters, who it would be good to see given a bit of game time this season and next, that only really leaves us with Cummings (who will be with Scotland a lot) and JP.

Rob Harley can fill in as well, but he does look like he is coming to the end of his career as well as Wilson moves the team on to the next generation.

We definitely need another lock.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:37 pm

BigGee wrote:Bean is a decent squad player and will fill a gap for a year or so. He won't be costing very much and has a great back story.

RG however, is on big money and may or may not have been worth it. He is certainly proving more durable this season and is a good option for when the internationals are away, his decision not to play for Scotland has certainly been to Glasgow benefit. I don't think he will move away though, he has moved back to Glasgow for family reasons and I can't see him going off again. He may or may not sign on a lesser contract next year, but if not I see him retiring.

Excluding the two promising youngsters, who it would be good to see given a bit of game time this season and next, that only really leaves us with Cummings (who will be with Scotland a lot) and JP.

Rob Harley can fill in as well, but he does look like he is coming to the end of his career as well as Wilson moves the team on to the next generation.

We definitely need another lock.

I could definitely see RG retiring at the end of the season, given he has moved home and after the stance he took at the last WC, but he has always been pretty commercially astute when it comes to his contracts - he must have earned an absolute packet at Castres and Toulouse - he might fancy a final year in Japan as a pension top-up.  He has been decent enough this season, especially at line-out time, but he very rarely seems to physically dominate a game in the tight and he has completely lost the athleticism that was his point of difference.  I wouldn't be that concerned about him moving on, subject to getting in a decent replacement.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:08 pm

I can see us pushing the boat out to keep R Gray. He has really provided a boost in the set-piece department and will be 33 in a position where he could keep going another 2-3 years. If Glasgow think he is going to retire or leave, losing McDonald makes little sense.

Harley is fine at lock though he has lost the athleticism necessary to be a BS. Again, 32 is quite young for lock to quit though could have said the same about Kruis.

Unfortunately, Bain has not really broken through. Hopefully he can do a Peterson and find a Newcastle to build a career with.

If we have a situation entering next year of
Cummings - R Gray
JP Du Preez - Harley
Bean - Williamson
Samuel

It looks a touch light. I would want a more dynamic player than J Gray such as Craig. Sykes coming back would make sense as Edinburgh will have Gilchrist, Skinner, Hodgson, Sykes and Young all pushing to play for Scotland.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:08 pm

Edinburgh team for Connacht

Venter - Cherry - Williams (Courtney - McBurney - Atalifo)
Phillips - Young (Campbell)
Muncaster - Kunavula - Boyle (Brown)

Pyrgos - Kinghorn (Vellacott - VDW)
Dean - Lang (Currie)
Boffelli - Immelman - Moyano

Cambell and Brown set to make debuts. Not sure what has happened to Blain as we seem to have replaced him with Argentinian internationals. He really should have been getting a look in at this point.

Unavailable due to injury: Luan de Bruin, Luke Crosbie, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, James Johnstone, Viliame Mata, Jamie Ritchie, Marshall Sykes, Ben Toolis

International selection: Mark Bennett, Magnus Bradbury, Darcy Graham, Grant Gilchrist, Jamie Hodgson, Stuart McInally, WP Nel, Pierre Schoeman, Hamish Watson

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:15 pm

Edinburgh beginning to scrape the barrel a bit in the forwards!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:01 am

On the unavailable list for Edinburgh right now

Props: Schoeman, Nel, De Bruin
HK: McInally
SR: Gilchrist, Hodgson, Toolis, Sykes
BR: Ritchie, Haining, Watson, Crosbie, Bradbury, Mata

Centres: Bennett, Johnstone
Back Three: Graham, Hoyland

The back five of the pack has been mullered. What is interesting is the lack of depth in the front row. Williams and Courtney have been okay, and I guess the question is whether they are good enough to become true third choices.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:03 am

That's two entire top class back rows missing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to face the Scarlets at Parc y Scarlets, Saturday 5 March, kick-off 5.15pm, live on Premier Sports 1. You can also follow all the action as it happens on our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org.

1. Oli Kebble (69)
2. Johnny Matthews (22)
3. Simon Berghan (5)
4. Kiran McDonald (46)
5. Rob Harley (259)
6. Ryan Wilson (C) (204)
7. Ally Miller (6)
8. Jack Dempsey (13)

9. Jamie Dobie (29)
10. Duncan Weir (118)
11. Cole Forbes (17)
12. Sam Johnson (85)
13. Kyle Steyn (44)
14. Josh McKay (6)
15. Ollie Smith (13)

16. Fraser Brown (119)
17. Murphy Walker (2)
18. Ewan McQuillin (2)
19. Richie Gray (74)
20. Thomas Gordon (45)
21. Jordan Lenac (1)
22. Ross Thompson (27)
23. Stafford McDowall (33)

Unavailable for selection: Jamie Bhatti, Scott Cummings, Walter Fifita, George Horne, Sean Kennedy, Tom Lambert, Nathan McBeth, Rufus McLean, Enrique Pieretto.

International duty: Rory Darge, Matt Fagerson, Zander Fagerson, Ali Price, Sione Tuipulotu, George Turner.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:04 pm

Not a bad side out for Glasgow in an international window. That backline certainly has a bit of stardust about it.

Always tough down in Llanelli though but hoping for a good game.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:35 pm

Decent side though unbalanced.

Three TH's and a LH who can play TH. Kebble is going to have to give at least 60 you would think which is not a great sign for Scotland. Three injured LH's is unlucky. What is the story about Lambert, is he just out for the season?

Backrow with each of them best at 8 and sticking a proper OS on the bench. Feels like an Exeter type of set-up! The one bit of good news is for Scotland as M Fagerson is not listed as injured.

The backs are strong and the quality on the bench is mostly pretty good (Brown, R Gray, Gordon, Thompson, McDowall). On paper, the front five is powerful and we have plenty of carrying. Should be able to get something out of this

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:13 pm

What a 5 minutes from Edinburgh, they were all at sea and just scored 2 tries

Has to be said, Kinghorn is playing well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:20 pm

Dave Cherry has become some good player for Edinburgh, a try on his 50yh appearance.

Well deserved!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Gicater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:26 pm

Missed the first 20 then tuned in for the next 20. I definitely chose the right half!

Kinghorn has shown he's definitely URC class at 10. The next stage of his development is to do that in the high intensity games and then international level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:35 pm

Kinghorn the next Dan Carter!

Maybe Townsend and Mike Blair do know more about rugby than us and squidge rugby???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Kinghorn making a pretty impressive play for the FH next weekend, he makes and scores the BP try!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:39 pm

I'm not sure i have the stamina for a Blarehorn at 10 in the World Cup debate right now. He is a very talented rugby player and an impressively fast runner. However, he hasn't nailed down a stating spot at 15, 11 or 14 for Scotland. Now Blair is saying he could be a really good 13, except he has never played there for the Luvvies, or a world class 10 though Blair resists the temptation to play him regularly at 10.

A very impressive performance from the Luvvies so far tonight.

Changing the subject slightly....
The Glasgow management were letting it be known that the backline for tomorrow's match would be lightning fast.
Then picked one Duncan Weir at 10.
Now that man is a real 10.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:43 pm

Anyone else notice a Connacht back give Kunavula a push, the big man stands his ground and just stares at him, Connacht player scuttles off? Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:44 pm

RDW wrote:Anyone else notice a Connacht back give Kunavula a push, the big man stands his ground and just stares at him, Connacht player scuttles off? Laugh

The only question really is why you are surprised by that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:45 pm

Muncaster and Boyle both putting in pretty impressive performances as well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:49 pm

This is becoming a complete stuffing - not sure anyone saw that happening!

Tackling seems to be optional for the Connacht side

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 pm

Kinghorn has been pretty sensational tonight. Blair specifically mentioned his catch pass being top quality which is definitely true. What I've been impressed with is his ability to put players in space and slightly delay the pass - small details that make a huge difference.

Edinburgh running riot!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:53 pm

Blair Kinghorn (and he who is even more so, dancer) are the ultimate prime examples of Scottish rugby players who have bags of potential but and too inconsistent.

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Connacht have shipped 42 unanswered points. Quite the collapse!

Plenty first choice players in there too

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Connor Boyle has quietly grown into his game this season too. He took a while to make a mark but has had a good season, and has been excellent tonight.

Not as dynamic as Darge but a huge work rate and great over the ball.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:09 pm

Blimey, McBurny just completely flattened the Connacht FH!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:09 pm

How is Rudi Brown 18?? He looks about 35! Big frame on him certainly

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:12 pm

Looking at these Edinburgh youngsters, you would have to say Scottish rugby future is in decent shape, very promising!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Been a lot of good performances tonight from Edinburgh, Christine being one of them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Chris Dean has had a good game too - a reminder that he's still a decent player

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:23 pm

Got to say, Connacht have been absolutely dreadful

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:25 pm

RDW wrote:Got to say, Connacht have been absolutely dreadful

They did not look like that in the first 10 mins (which you missed) a really spectacular collapse.

Would not fancy that team meeting on monday!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:29 pm

Well, if Toonie has got any cojones at all, having nailed his colours to Kinghorn over Hastings, surely he needs to start him next weekend against Italy!

I am not entirely convinced by him at FH yet, but you can't deny that he played well there tonight!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:58 pm

As the old sage jimbo said, we’re on a hiding to nothing.

Start blairhorn vs Italy and we could lose it but even if we hump them it’ll be “it’s only Italy”

I suppose on the flip side you could argue that Finn could be dropped for Italy and told he is dropped due to his head not being in the game. It could be the kick up the erse he needs or Finn being Finn could make him just go “stuff it, it’s more fun playing in France anyway”

Back to the other side of it - if blairhorn has a stormer against Italy then the hype train brigade will come out saying he really is the next Dan Carter and then he produces a dan parks display vs Ireland the next week and comes back down with a bump.

I still don’t like the wholesale changes midway through a tournament so I’m going with Finn dropped or at least on the bench and Bennett starting at 13 over Harris but that’s all for the changes unless it’s injured players coming back. I’d even say price needs to start even though he’s been knickers. Last chance saloon for him though. If he doesn’t get the finger out and keep it out the following week, get rid. Lion or not, he’s the flakiest player we’ve had next to flakey Finn. Players with the talent those two have should not be so up and down week on week
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:45 am

Welcome to the dark side, tigertattie!

p.s. Dan parks' kicking game would have kept us playing in the right areas against France. Also, if we were behind after 15 minutes he wouldn't have ripped up the gameplan and launched wave after wave of kamikaze attacks into the traps laid by Shaun Edwards.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:03 am

It’s scary over here jimbo. Do you have any blankets?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:04 am

tigertattie wrote:It’s scary over here jimbo. Do you have any blankets?

He's 76 - of course he does!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next