The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup losers Playoff 2023 - The unwanted game - England v Argentina

+23
Scottrf
king_carlos
Barney McGrew did it
Cumbrian
Heaf
Yoda
Duty281
tigertattie
formerly known as Sam
Taylorman
No 7&1/2
Rugby Fan
carpet baboon
doctor_grey
Old Man
hugehandoff
mountain man
Poorfour
Mr Bounce
mikey_dragon
lostinwales
dummy_half
Geordie
27 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

World Cup losers Playoff 2023 - The unwanted game - England v Argentina - Page 4 Empty World Cup losers Playoff 2023 - The unwanted game - England v Argentina

Post by Geordie Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

England Team:

15 M Smith
14 F Steward
13 J Marchant,
12 M Tuilagi
11 H Arundell;
10 O Farrell (c),
9 B Youngs;

1 E Genge (vc),
2 T Dan,
3 W Stuart,
4 M Itoje,
5 O Chessum,
6 T Curry,
7 S Underhill,
8 B Earl.

Replacements: J George, B Rodd, D Cole, D Ribbans, L Ludlam, D Care, G Ford (vc), O Lawrence.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

World Cup losers Playoff 2023 - The unwanted game - England v Argentina - Page 4 Empty Re: World Cup losers Playoff 2023 - The unwanted game - England v Argentina

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:49 pm

Cue the first scrum pen against the put-in all night

Heaf

Back to top Go down

World Cup losers Playoff 2023 - The unwanted game - England v Argentina - Page 4 Empty Re: World Cup losers Playoff 2023 - The unwanted game - England v Argentina

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:50 pm

Imagine when we develop an attack...we'll be unreal.

But I'd like us to stop celebrating every fricken tackle and scrum win.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:50 pm

Cole and George surely need to play a couple of rested here and wear time away
Time to impress has gone. Just go for a cynical win.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:50 pm

mountain man wrote:If England do hold out and win I hope there's no big celebration at final whistle. Apart from first 15 mins they been poor.

They've made a habit of that recently

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:51 pm

Geordie wrote:Imagine when we develop an attack...we'll be unreal.

Lol.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:51 pm

Clear take out without the ball at the breakdown in their half

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:52 pm

It was a knocking I thought from Steward I think.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:54 pm

To sausage it came off an Argentina knee....when it's a high potential knock on from Steward...he's checked the wrong thing.

Tmo said . Not to sausage. New phone...honest

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:54 pm

We have a very limited gameplan and even then were second best in it last match. Was always a strategy that would need us to perform perfectly and SA to be off form to edge the game. It’s not so easy to just add an attack without losing elsewhere.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:54 pm

Far too many players asking for incidents to be checked.

mountain man

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:55 pm

mountain man wrote:Far too many players asking for incidents to be checked.

Berry is allowing it though. Needs to shut it down.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:55 pm

mountain man wrote:If England do hold out and win I hope there's no big celebration at final whistle. Apart from first 15 mins they been poor.

Earl will jump about and scream like he’s just won the euro millions
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:55 pm

If Steward got a hand on that the Argentina outside backs would've definitely gone up. I think it was just a poor, floaty pass.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:56 pm

Argentina clearly pushed early! Twice!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:56 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:To sausage it came off an Argentina knee....when it's a high potential knock on from Steward...he's checked the wrong thing.

Seems like you're willing England to lose ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:58 pm

Christ! That was hard work. Made them look much better than they are.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:58 pm

Mediocre.

Think that sums it up.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:59 pm

Mediocre would be a step up

Heaf

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:59 pm

Scottrf wrote:

We have a very limited gameplan and even then were second best in it last match. Was always a strategy that would need us to perform perfectly and SA to be off form to edge the game. It’s not so easy to just add an attack without losing elsewhere.

We do for this world cup..but it will change. But still be about the basics.

Add an attack means we aren't tackling so much either which is why I think we're struggling in the final 20 because we are tackling so much...due to the tactics.

3rd at the world Cup...that'll do...Time to move on.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:00 pm

Heaf wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:To sausage it came off an Argentina knee....when it's a high potential knock on from Steward...he's checked the wrong thing.

Do you agree with the check Heaf. I thought personally when the ref asked for it to be checked it was because steward had knocked it on?the Tmo has said it's not a knock on as it's come off a blue knee. I could have misunderstood what the ref was asking for but he was pointing towards where Stewards potential offence was. And I'm generally commenting on incident I agree or disagree with rather than colour of shirts.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Well. Not one for the highlight reel but even the most optimistic England fan surely wouldn’t have turned thier nose up at England finishing third
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Geordie wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Add an attack means we aren't tackling  so much either which is why I think we're struggling in the final 20 because we are tackling so much...due to the tactics.  

Wish I had your positivity! Enjoy your weekend.

Scottrf

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Heaf wrote:

Do you agree with the check Heaf. I thought personally when the ref asked for it to be checked it was because steward had knocked it on?the Tmo has said it's not a knock on as it's come off a blue knee. I could have misunderstood what the ref was asking for but he was pointing towards where Stewards potential offence was. And I'm generally commenting on incident I agree or disagree with rather than colour of shirts.

And their try was a forward pass ..swings and roundabouts.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:02 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Geordie wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Add an attack means we aren't tackling  so much either which is why I think we're struggling in the final 20 because we are tackling so much...due to the tactics.  

Wish I had your positivity! Enjoy your weekend.

It's weakening lol

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:02 pm

tigertattie wrote:Well. Not one for the highlight reel but even the most optimistic England fan surely wouldn’t have turned thier nose up at England finishing third
Given the draw, bare minimum.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:02 pm

Geordie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Heaf wrote:

And their try was a forward pass ..swings and roundabouts.

Which I also said. So you agree the tmo made an error or not?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:03 pm

Doesn't look like it....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:03 pm

Well third was several positions higher than I expected us to finish. Some work to be done before the 6N mind. Looking forward to the new attack coach arriving.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:03 pm

Didn't see it - I was rewinding to check where it looked like Marchant (I think) got smashed in the face by an Argentinian player on the wrong side of a ruck

Last edited by Heaf on Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:04 pm

I guess it is better than I hoped for (finishing third), but I can't be satisfied with that. We did absolutely nothing in that second half, just looked like we were waiting to get beat. What is the point in having good attacking players if they literally don't get passed the ball once?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

lostinwales and No 7&1/2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Bright start, then the errors crept in.

Underhill terrific throughout though. After all his injuries and with Lawes retiring that was great to see. Martin, Curry and Underhill in the same pack could offer a ton of dominant hits.

Earl very good again too. I thought Genge had a really decent performance as well to be fair.

Of the lesser used players that came in. Dan and Rodd both made some noticeable defensive errors. Lawrence didn't have the hoped impact either.

Stuart I was impressed with defensively. He seemed to make a lot of tackles. The scrum was solid with him on too. Some of his carrying it felt like he went to ground to early without support though. Needs to time his runs better or fight to stay on his feet until a latch arrives. Not particularly poor overall but not standout either.

About it really. A bit of a meh game with some curious reffing decisions as is often the case in these playoffs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Like the look of Carreras on the wing.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Heaf wrote:

Didn't see it - I was rewinding to check where it looked like Marchant (I think) got smashed in the face by an Argentinian player on the wrong side of a ruck

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:06 pm

Dismal 2nd half. Argentina were stronger for much of the game but England capitalised on Argentinian errors.

Ending the game with 3 FH, a fullback out of position and no wings says it all. Don't know what to do with Arundell. He does need to look for the ball more but no passes says a lot. He should also be given a chance at FB.

Youngs....

Earl's try very good and a few decent performances in the pack (including Dan) but that wasn't a good game.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:07 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Well third was several positions higher than I expected us to finish. Some work to be done before the 6N mind. Looking forward to the new attack coach arriving.

I'm obviously really critical of Borthwick but expected this...we'll tbf win or lose today is pretty much the same as its a meh match. Was your expectation just so much lower hence the opinion now of Borthwick?Jones isn't necktie attack coach either. He's been described as a coach who will analyse opposition sides weaknesses both attack and defence while other takes the mantle of attack and defence coaches. Wigglesworth is the attack coach as far as we know. And what a job he's doing.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:08 pm

Congratulations to England on getting bronze, is that a first for you?

Borthwick about to sign a clause to extend his contract to 2030!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:08 pm

Heaf wrote:Didn't see it - I was rewinding to check where it looked like Marchant (I think) got smashed in the face by an Argentinian player on the wrong side of a ruck
If we're remembering the same collision I think it was Lawrence. In real time it looked to me like he came in as if to ruck over, backed out as the clear out arrived and got clattered. If so we saw players repeatedly not get rewarded for coming in to compete then stepping out so clearing players went off feet throughout the game. Lawrence went down, rolled around a bit and then when he realised play was continuing, he quickly got up and in line. I'm not sure there was much in it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:08 pm

westisbest wrote:Like the look of Carreras on the wing.

Hands off...he's ours

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:09 pm

Well my wife has gone to bed because I have been 'tetchy', thanks a lot England! I worry this is going to be my immediate future, Vanessa will certainly not like it.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:12 pm

Positive future.
The basics coming on...the intensity level is there...breakdown...

Bring the attack in and things change quite a bit.

The future is rosey...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:18 pm

The basics being what exactly?and is it 2 weeks we have together before the 6 ns?we've had 5 months together and not had a chance (apparently) to practice the attack at all. And apparently there will be a fair few changes to the squad so we'll be having to spend more time on basics again surely?

Or will it finally be that he has his first choice coaches necy tournament?is he going to be like the Forth Bridge. It'll all be complete next week?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:19 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Heaf wrote:Didn't see it - I was rewinding to check where it looked like Marchant (I think) got smashed in the face by an Argentinian player on the wrong side of a ruck
If we're remembering the same collision I think it was Lawrence. In real time it looked to me like he came in as if to ruck over, backed out as the clear out arrived and got clattered. If so we saw players repeatedly not get rewarded for coming in to compete then stepping out so clearing players went off feet throughout the game. Lawrence went down, rolled around a bit and then when he realised play was continuing, he quickly got up and in line. I'm not sure there was much in it.

Yep after I looked back I didn't think there was too much in it - although I have to say I still think Argentina got away a lot with taking out players beyond the ruck who weren't even engaging, and went around rather than through the gate - which was ironic when Jamie G got pinged (correctly) for going in the side to clear-out on one occasion.

Thought the ref let quite a bit go but wasn't too bad overall - the TMO on the other hand was as bad as he usually is ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:30 pm

Heaf wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Yep after I looked back I didn't think there was too much in it - although I have to say I still think Argentina got away a lot with taking out players beyond the ruck who weren't even engaging, and went around rather than through the gate - which was ironic when Jamie G got pinged (correctly) for going in the side to clear-out on one occasion.  

Thought the ref let quite a bit go but wasn't too bad overall - the TMO on the other hand was as bad as he usually is ...

The communication from the ref was generally very good which usually helps. Not sure if that game could be helped though.

I missed MOTM - guessing it might be Underhill.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:34 pm

Geordie wrote:
westisbest wrote:Like the look of Carreras on the wing.

Hands off...he's ours

Ha. He’s a good player.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:39 pm

So for the 6 nations you need an entirely new midfield, decide who your ten is, and two new wingers.
Then decide who's 8 and 6 and the starting front row.
Easy

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:39 pm

We made him that...

Carerras and Radwan the wings...the best wings in the league to not see the ball...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:40 pm

Oh and develop a bit more of an attack (other than play 3 flyhalfs for the last 20)

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:42 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Oh and develop a bit more of     an attack (other than play 3 flyhalfs for the last 20)

Fixed that for you ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:43 pm

carpet baboon wrote:So for the 6 nations you need an entirely new midfield, decide who your ten is, and two new wingers.
Easy
Very Easy

10 Ford

12 Kelly / Seb Atkinson
13 Lawrence maybe even Daly at 13.

11 Arundel
14 Watson / Freeman/ OHC

6 Curry
7 Earl
8 Mercer / T.Willis and Chandler Cunningham as an apprentice

Oh and
1 Genge
2 George
3. Only one I can't answer

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 pm

carpet baboon wrote:So for the 6 nations you need an entirely new midfield, decide who your ten is, and two new wingers.
Easy

Don't forget that our front row is gash too...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next