The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

+30
hugehandoff
George Carlin
Recwatcher16
Tramptastic
Lowlandbrit
TJ
BigGee
bsando
king_carlos
propdavid_london
RiscaGame
TAFKA The Oracle
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
Duty281
dummy_half
Poorfour
nlpnlp
Mr Bounce
lostinwales
Cumbrian
doctor_grey
Yoda
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
Margin_Walker
Rugby Fan
mountain man
No 7&1/2
Geordie
34 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

Post by Geordie Sat 16 Dec 2023, 7:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

2 tries for Hartley at 12 .

Fdjour decent first scrum then missed some tackles etc.
Sales two wingers Reed and Roebuck were very impressive....

Bath v Cardiff now...lots of potential England options here.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:12 pm

Crikey ive just read that about Rees Zammitt....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:13 pm

Is the England squad announced soon?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:16 pm

mountain man wrote:Think that confirms Feyi-Waboso will be in England squad, not named for Wales. Bet Gatland wishes he had seeing as LRZ has jumped ship.

Car crash.

Yeah huge kick in the guts for Wales there. I read comments from Woodward in relation to England's policy that he would resign if forced to ignore foreign based players...Gatland may well be thinking something similar. Though after how his stint in NZ went he may feel a bit trapped.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:16 pm

Tomorrow I think mikey.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:17 pm

Squad announcement tomorrow. Midday I believe.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:23 pm

Mr Bounce

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:44 pm

Good news that Smith looks to be in the England squad then. And you'd imagine probably Roebuck who will suit us.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Jan 2024, 3:23 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/01/16/england-six-nations-squad-jamie-george-captain-feyi-waboso/

George to be named Captain...

Roots and Waboso in...Spencer looks to be in. Dingwall also...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 16 Jan 2024, 3:25 pm

Looking at the Scotland squad, it looks like Fin Smith is sticking with us. I've heard James Roebuck is going to be in the squad too.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 16 Jan 2024, 3:27 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Good news that Smith looks to be in the England squad then. And you'd imagine probably Roebuck who will suit us.

I really should look up the page before I type...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Jan 2024, 3:48 pm

God I hope so.many saints just means they will play off the hoof at least in the first couple of games. Ignore the plan of Wigglesworth and just go with club.

Have to say Muir is just not up to this level. Decent club play but reminds me of a slightly worse Bassett.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 16 Jan 2024, 4:31 pm

I thought before George wwould get captaincy, he seemed the obvious candidate. Feyi-Waboso a bonus as most definitely Fin Smith.

Is full list available as the Telegraph article behind pay wall?

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 16 Jan 2024, 5:00 pm

mountain man wrote:I thought before George wwould get captaincy, he seemed the obvious candidate. Feyi-Waboso a bonus as most definitely Fin Smith.

Not currently behind the paywall but doesn't have a full list - just tasters

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 16 Jan 2024, 5:23 pm

lostinwales wrote:
mountain man wrote:I thought before George wwould get captaincy, he seemed the obvious candidate. Feyi-Waboso a bonus as most definitely Fin Smith.

Not currently behind the paywall but doesn't have a full list - just tasters

Odd I try and it says "to continue to read article log in or start free trial"

Anyway, actual squad announced tomorrow so I can wait.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 16 Jan 2024, 5:38 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:God I hope so.many saints just means they will play off the hoof at least in the first couple of games.

Saints don't play off the hoof. They play a multi phase attack utilising multiple playmakers to make it difficult for the defence to number up and target the attacking fulcrum. Often using ploys like running Fin Smith round to the openside behind a pod of forwards for a standard out the back move just as Furbank makes a run to blindside with supporting runners, targeting a potential short numbered defenders.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Jan 2024, 5:56 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:God I hope so.many saints just means they will play off the hoof at least in the first couple of games.

Saints don't play off the hoof. They play a multi phase attack utilising multiple playmakers to make it difficult for the defence to number up and target the attacking fulcrum. Often using ploys like running Fin Smith round to the openside behind a pod of forwards for a standard out the back move just as Furbank makes a run to blindside with supporting runners, targeting a potential short numbered defenders.

No quite right Sam. They'll definitely prepare for situations and try to assess if a risk is worth taking. Crap wording by me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 7:46 am

Took this from elsewhere... Laugh

Going to be a weird 6N.

England with no Farrell or Youngs, France with no Dupont, Ireland with no Sexton, Wales with no fly half and Scotland with no Scotsmen.

Geordie

Mr Bounce, lostinwales and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:02 am

England Six Nations squad
Forwards: Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Alex Coles, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Chandler Cunningham-South, Ben Curry Theo Dan, Alex Dombrandt, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George (capt), Joe Heyes, Nick Isiekwe, Maro Itoje, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, Tom Pearson, Ethan Roots, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill.

Backs: Oscar Beard, Danny Care, Elliot Daly, Fraser Dingwall, Immanuel Feyi-Waboso, George Ford, Tommy Freeman, George Furbank, Ollie Lawrence, Alex Mitchell, Tom Roebuck, Henry Slade, Fin Smith, Marcus Smith, Ben Spencer, Freddie Steward.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:04 am

England with no Youngs isn't weird it's progress. And at times given his variable form same could be said for Farrell. *

*yes fully aware original was done as humour.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:05 am

No Sinckler but Joe Heyes. Wow.

Beard in. Dingwall. Feyi-Waboso. 3 fly halfs, so assuming Marcus is full back again. Roebuck. Roots. Coles.

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:07 am

Isiekwe as the potential "Big 6"?

No Sinckler or Ludlam. No Baxter, no Barbeary. And no Cokanasiga, which, considering his current form, I find a bit odd.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:07 am

C-CS - excellent. Assume no Barbeary due to upcoming ban. Feyi-Waboso bonus. Slade, Furbank better produce if picked for team.
No Billy, result.
Ben Spencer? Deserved after so long.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:08 am

Ludlam is injured isn't he. Couple of options for 6 but very much looks like it's going to be a bruiser. Roots, Isiekwe, Martin, Coles, Cunningham-South would all fancy their chances.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:09 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:No Sinckler but Joe Heyes. Wow.

Beard in. Dingwall. Feyi-Waboso. 3 fly halfs, so assuming Marcus is full back again. Roebuck. Roots. Coles.

3 scrum halfs, Care, Mitchell and Spencer.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:14 am

In fairness Borthwick has picked squad on form pretty much for clubs.
So, likes of Furbank, Slade and Dombrandt need to prove it if in 15/23 match squad.

Overall I'm happy with that squad. Just see who gets dropped and whose left for 6N.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:16 am

Where is George Martin?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:18 am

Very happy with the squad...a few i wouldnt pick but i can understand why he has.

No mistake about Sinckler ...thats good.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:18 am

I have seen little of Oscar Beard, any views here on him?

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:18 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Where is George Martin?
he has a knee injury apparently...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:19 am

Geordie wrote:Very happy with the squad...a few i wouldnt pick but i can understand why he has.

No mistake about Sinckler ...thats good.

Yeah agree about Sinckler, no loss to be honest. Seeing as he's off anyway then even more reason not to pick but primarily he shouldn't be in purely on performance.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:22 am

Geordie wrote:

That's a shame. Isiekwe is solid, and Coles is performing well though.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:23 am

Position breakdown:
LP: Genge, Marler, Obano
HK: Cowan-Dickie, Dan, George
TP: Cole, Heyes, Stuart
LK: Chessum, Coles Isiekwe, Itoje
FL: Curry, Earl, Pearson, Roots, Underhill
N8: Cunningham-South, Dombrandt
SH: Care, Mitchell, Spencer
FH: Ford, F. Smith, M. Smith
IC: N/A
OC: Beard, Dingwall, Lawrence, Slade
WG: Daly, Feyi-Waboso, Freeman, Roebuck
FB: Furbank, Steward

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:23 am

mountain man wrote:I have seen little of Oscar Beard, any views here on him?

For the past few seasons he's been a promising academy back who hasn't looked quite ready for senior rugby. He has the speed and strength (like a larger version of Murley), but had a bit of a tendency to try to do it all himself when it wasn't on. This season his decision making has improved hugely, and he's having a real impact. Injuries to Joseph and Northmore gave him a run at the 13 jersey for Quins, but he has done well enough that they are going to have to fight hard to get it back.

It's a bit of a surprise to see him in the England squad so early, but this squad looks like a mixture of old hands to give a stable base for 2024 and players who are being developed for 2027, and in that context he is definitely one to develop for the future.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Geordie, lostinwales and mountain man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:25 am

Mr Bounce wrote:
Geordie wrote:

That's a shame. Isiekwe is solid, and Coles is performing well though.

Coles is playing very well....ive said i can see a "mobile lock" going in at 6.
4 Itoje, 5 Chessum seems set now...

So 6 is between Isiekwe and Coles. Maybe CCS getting a run from the bench for some experience...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:25 am

mountain man wrote:In fairness Borthwick has picked squad on form pretty much for clubs.
So, likes of Furbank, Slade and Dombrandt need to prove it if in 15/23 match squad.

Overall I'm happy with that squad. Just see who gets dropped and whose left for 6N.

Bar a couple.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:28 am

Seems George Martin, Manu Tuilagi, Anthony Watson, Raffi Quirke and Jack van Poortvliet are included as part of a rehabilitation group.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:31 am

I am guessing that Barbeary was seen as a bit of a risk, especially given his recent cards. Big Joe was a known quantity and had his flaws as demonstrated in the RWC warm ups. Sinckler has lost all form. There is probably something about Zach Mercer that SB doesn't like. Maybe he'll end up captaining the A team given the Gloucester link? I have put the happy pills down as Billy has been pensioned off (finally!). Painter I am guessing was not showing as having enough all round game and/or fitness.

Pleased to see CCS, Fin Smith and Beno Obano given their chances. And it's good to see Joe Heyes back.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:33 am

Of those omitted, Murley and Sleightholme probably feel hard done by. Radwan was never getting in squad!

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:37 am

Feyi-Waboso in, and Gatland never even bothered to speak to him. Nice one lads.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:46 am

mountain man wrote:Of those omitted, Murley and Sleightholme probably feel hard done by. Radwan was never getting in squad!

Murley's injured.
Poorfour
Poorfour

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:51 am

I watched the Exeter games in recent times (Saints and Glasgow) that have been televised, I can't remember Painter ever getting his hands on the ball, even at very short range. Strange as he used to do a bit ball in hand at Saints.

If a lock does go to 6, then there is a very tough decision of the 7, Curry, Earl, Pearson, Roots, Underhill. Although Earl and Pearson do play 8 when required.

I am surprised Dombrandt is in the squad thought he had had his chance, he doesn't seem to be doing anything different now, still looks plump, slow to get up and reset, and shies away from hard going. Cunningham-South, not seen much of him, but what I have seen he looks like one for the future rather than now. I think it will be Earl at 8 with Underhill at 7. If a genuine back rower is picked at 6, then Pearson or Curry.

The backs will be interesting, I think Dingwall certainly and possibly Lawrence are in as 12s, I know nothing of Beard, but I assume a 13 along with Slade. Freeman of course can play 13 as well.

I suspect Furbank is a bencher, covering 10 and 15, gives you a chance to be creative with the rest of the bench.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:56 am

Bets we'll see Isiekwe in at 6 for the first game after which he'll be dropped.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 11:05 am

mountain man wrote:Of those omitted, Murley and Sleightholme probably feel hard done by. Radwan was never getting in squad!

heard that Sleightholme will be in the A sqaud.

Geordie

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 11:08 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:I watched the Exeter games in recent times (Saints and Glasgow) that have been televised, I can't remember Painter ever getting his hands on the ball, even at very short range. Strange as he used to do a bit ball in hand at Saints.

If a lock does go to 6, then there is a very tough decision of the 7, Curry, Earl, Pearson, Roots, Underhill. Although Earl and Pearson do play 8 when required.

I am surprised Dombrandt is in the squad thought he had had his chance, he doesn't seem to be doing anything different now, still looks plump, slow to get up and reset, and shies away from hard going. Cunningham-South, not seen much of him, but what I have seen he looks like one for the future rather than now. I think it will be Earl at 8 with Underhill at 7. If a genuine back rower is picked at 6, then Pearson or Curry.

The backs will be interesting, I think Dingwall certainly and possibly Lawrence are in as 12s, I know nothing of Beard, but I assume a 13 along with Slade. Freeman of course can play 13 as well.

I suspect Furbank is a bencher, covering 10 and 15, gives you a chance to be creative with the rest of the bench.

Well the only thing i can get from his inclusion is that SB (contrary to what EVERYONE seems to suggest) is open to a more mobile style with the 8 as a fulcrum using his offloading etc. Purely a thought...we shall see.

Geordie

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Jan 2024, 11:53 am

If Borthwick abandons is kick everything no matter what philosophy then brilliant. The pick of players like Dombrandt alone don't signal that however as he was picked during the last 6 nations but asked to play a very different game than his club one.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 17 Jan 2024, 11:55 am

Have England actually picked a 12? Or are they all 13s who part time at 12?
I'm I going to have to spend the whole 6ns telling you (with the squad that's been picked) to play steward at 12?

There MUST be an actual out and out 12 somewhere in England?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Jan 2024, 12:04 pm

Looking at the squad it looks like one of Roots or CCS will be at 6. Big, powerful guys that can jump in the lineout and get through a load of work. If only Hanro Liebenburg was EQ.

Barbeary may well have been included were it not for his likely suspension. Shame no Fisilau or Warr. The injury to George Martin is a real shame as he's been playing really well, Tigers have said it's a short term injury so he might be back quickly with any luck though another knee injury isn't good.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 12:05 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Have England actually picked a 12? Or are they all 13s who part time at 12?
I'm I going to have to spend the whole 6ns telling you (with the squad that's been picked) to play steward at 12?

Not a single 12.

It'll be a roving centre pairing...switching depending on plays and attack & defence.

I think it'll be Lawrence and then between Dingwall and Slade who partners him.

Hopefully Hartley really puts his stamp down for Saracnes over the next 6-12 months.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Have England actually picked a 12? Or are they all 13s who part time at 12?

Dingwall is a 12. Even when he wears 13 he seems to line up at 12 (particularly in defence) for Saints.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jan 2024, 12:13 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Looking at the squad it looks like one of Roots or CCS will be at 6. Big, powerful guys that can jump in the lineout and get through a load of work. If only Hanro Liebenburg was EQ.

Barbeary may well have been included were it not for his likely suspension. Shame no Fisilau or Warr. The injury to George Martin is a real shame as he's been playing really well, Tigers have said it's a short term injury so he might be back quickly with any luck though another knee injury isn't good.

Hes in the "rehab group" Sam..so could be called up if fit...think its SB playing the system so to speak.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next