The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

+48
BridgendBoyo
kiakahaaotearoa
TheGreyGhost
wayne
Dominic Dicoco
glamorganalun
Pal Joey
Luckless Pedestrian
FerN
jb1973
mr-bryns-attitude
manofgwent
Taylorman
Taffineastbourne
Josiah Maiestas
dogtooth
Cymroglan
andy powells minder
rodders
deadgoat
Ozzy3213
kingjohn7
deadfred
munkian
BlueNote
maestegmafia
Bullsbok
Comfort
nottins
Great White
BigTrevsbigmac
RubyGuby
TycroesOsprey
Biltong
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
chris_501
Totallybiasedscarlet
majesticimperialman
wales606
Gatts
Thespacedragon
nottins_jones
krusty
samuraidragon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
redrugbyexile
52 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 3 Empty Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by redrugbyexile Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Three weeks out, however things are begining to crystallise for September 11th. This is my team to face the Boks.

15 Halfpenny

14 North
13 Roberts
12 Hook
11 Williams

10 Jones
9 Phillips

1. James
2 Bennett
3 Jones

4. Wyn Jones
5 Davies

6 Lydiate
7 Warburton
8 Jones

Bench:
Mitchell, Burns, Faletau, Powell, Knoyle, Davies, Williams.

Reasoning:

1. Gethin- forget it at moment.
2. Bennett - best of bad bunch, but good in both England tests.
3. Faletau - need Ryan in the big one, Toby's time will come.
4. Jones/Hook - help me out here. I just think Roberts and Davies aint working. We need Hooks flair but the question is whether Jones is going to be up for this first game. All thoughts welcome.
5. Byrne, no form to merit being in the squad nevermind the team.

What do people think?

redrugbyexile

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 3 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

Cymroglan wrote: biltongbek I did not say you were too confident What I said was that both set of fans are guilty of believing that our sides are better than we truly are.

I think you will find that SA fans are in fact not confident at all, if I was confident I would have publically stated that we would smash Wales, I have not heard any south africans who even think we will get past the All Blacks, we do however hope that it is one of those days where we can contain them, and just for interest sake we have a very decent record against them since the last world cup.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 3 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Boks are not at their best but they have beaten us with understrength teams so does it really matter? Us welsh think we are better now than we were when we lost the last time to an understrength SA so there is some room for optimism. A great welsh peformance even in defeat would help. SA will be ruthless for 80 minutes, if we bang a brick wall for 20 minutes I would be greatly encouraged as it suggests we are doing the banging. For all of SA's strengths and history I believe that they can be indisciplned and lose control if they are put under any real pressure. If they are not put under pressure then it will be the usual cake walk with a score from Wales with the last play to leave a 29-16 scoreline. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

i thought this discussion finished ages ago and everyone was agreed 1 of the following would happen.....

1. Boks obliterate Wales
2. Wales marginally beat the Boks
3. P Divvy and Gats would go for pound for pound for the worlds biggest mouth title?

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

They'll probably spite us all and settle for the draw! 🤦
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

biltongbek wrote:They'll probably spite us all and settle for the draw! 🤦

I don't think we will be too "spited" by a draw but I'm sure you guys will.

Wink

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

a draw?! Yahoo

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:27 pm

Comfort wrote:a draw?! Yahoo

It was a JOKE, ok, just a joke. Doh

We'll beat you, we'll eat you.
We won't be nice
We'll pulverise.

Well, at any rate I hope so. Erm
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

and to think billtong, i thought the days of wearing you down had worked, i thought we'd have you round to our way of thinking before the game and have you predicting a close welsh win! Whistle

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

Even if you put me under a bright light, have the FBi interrogate me, have the CIA indoctrinate me.

I will not bow down to the thought processes of 3 million raving Welsh fanatics.

I will stand my ground. boxing

And of the odds are too many, I will simply Run
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

my xv

james
bennett
jones

awj
brad

lydiate
warbs
powell

phillips
hook

shane
roberts
jd2
north
1/2p

we are taking some chances with this pick. powell, bennett and phillips had better continue to show their recent good form or we are going to be in trouble.

bench places for faletau, tavis, brew and priestland. i would rather a highly experienced bench but we will have to make do.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

Even if Wales don't manage to get the victory, a good consolation would be an eye gouging, preferably on that horrible Schalk Burger if you don't mind too much my lovable neighbours angel
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:17 pm

My team,

1. Paul James
2. H Bennett (last man standing)
3. Adam Jones
4. Charteris (we need his lineout expertise in this game and see below)
5. AWJ (looked far more on form than Bradley in the warm ups)
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau, (raw but has power and offers somthing different)
9. Mike Phillips
10. Hook.
11. Shane
12. Roberts
13. J Davies, (I fully expect the centres to switch)
14. North (Georgie is flying at the moment and deserves his place)
15. Halfpenny.

16. Bevvington (has to be there to cover the lh, james can cross to th)
17. Lloyd Burns
18. Bradley ( with ryan some grunt and experience to come on)
19. Ryan Jones
20. Tavis Knoyle (personally i prefer l williams but i think gats will go for tavis)
21. Priestland ( versaitlity from the bench)
22. Aled Brew( adds power and more expericenced than scott williams)

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

Oh and we can win, probably wont and if we do it will be PDV's fault but we still can win.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:23 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Oh and we can win, probably wont and if we do it will be PDV's fault but we still can win.

In all honesty, if you do beat us you will have had to play great rugby, and we most likely will not have been playing well, PDv has had all the criticism he can face, it is now up to the team. If they can't beat Wales when they have been rested for 7 weeks prior to their last two tests, then they don't deserve to win the RWC anyway. nope
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

roddersm wrote:It looks like Stephen Jones might not be fit. Is Hook the back up 10?

I actually think Wales have a better chance if they play Hook at 10 and throw caution to the wind in this game. They'll get a 2nd bite of the cherry against Samoa and I think they really need to keep the ball in hand and be positive.

If they try and take SA on in a tight game then they'll come of second best I feel. Phillips can't get dragged into a confrontational battle with the SA backrow either, he needs to get the ball away quick and get on with his job.

In my opinion this is a simple forward battle....can Wales live with SA at the set piece....only if they suddenly have developed a master plan for the lineout, the scrummage should go with put in but with no jenks and rees our front row is seriously weakened. Boks will target it. Can Wales live with the physicality of the Boks at the breakdown and thier rampaging back row who i expect to pick and drive right into Hook's channel....well a lot of this will depend on fitness and interp of the rules....Wales might have an edge here, certainly in the last 1/3rd.

I think Wales comfortably have the ability to out think the bok backs but without possession or slow ball will be lateral. I think Boks will kick kick and kick some more, pinning us back and attacking our lineout.

The Boks remain favourites in my view, they are the big side with a big rep. Wales can do it, no doubt about that, i expect Sam W to have a huge game.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

biltongbek wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:Oh and we can win, probably wont and if we do it will be PDV's fault but we still can win.

In all honesty, if you do beat us you will have had to play great rugby, and we most likely will not have been playing well, PDv has had all the criticism he can face, it is now up to the team. If they can't beat Wales when they have been rested for 7 weeks prior to their last two tests, then they don't deserve to win the RWC anyway. nope
Fair comment.SA have given 2 fingers to the tri-Nations with their WC focus.They should be well-prepared.If they cant beat lowly Wales SA are in trouble.Imagine the momentum that Wales would gain if they bring down the SA giants. Wink

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:14 pm

Only way to compete with SA is to get up into their faces from the start.
Chase and hit anything that moves and as a first up match this could be one of the upsets.
Intensity is key. This world cup will be about big hits and sheer physical brutality at the tackles and breakdowns.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:24 pm

Wel,I put my bet on Wales to win today,so that is us stuffed.Sorry ,folks,you can all blame me!6/1 to win.SA 10/11.IF I should win this bet I will put the winnings on France to win the whole shebbang.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:02 pm

its quite interesting that people think bok backs have nothing on the fiery Welsh backline .They had better fire otherwise the gloating from me will be horrendous ,

second half look for messrs lambie, hougaard and aplon . Those subs should be interesting ...
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

Bullsbok wrote:its quite interesting that people think bok backs have nothing on the fiery Welsh backline .They had better fire otherwise the gloating from me will be horrendous ,
A gloating loud South African?Unheard of .Probably why you are so popular.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:23 pm

The game will be won up front. ie SA.
I'm glad that it looks like Stephen jones doesn't look like he'll be available, because I still think gatland would pick him. He's persisted with jones for far too long. He's been constantly sidelined with niggles.
Its time for butter fingers Bradley to show that he's not just an average 2nd row and AWJ will need to step up too. I feel we'll struggle in the front row, our line-out will be dominated by the springboks and therefore our talented back-line will be living off scraps.
Let's hope we don't get any more injuries as our must win game is the following week against Samoa.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

If Adam beasts the Beast we will be doing fine.Keep it tidy and tight.We can do this even with a weakened side.Keep Gethin for the big games!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

Bullsbok I just think the Welsh have a chance. Being first up for both its still a one off, both away from home. SA should win, but they've also yet to be convincing. Wales will be heartily pleased to win this given their later matches and oddly could still miss out qualifying should SA regain their composure and Samoa perform to their max.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:If Adam beasts the Beast we will be doing fine.Keep it tidy and tight.We can do this even with a weakened side.Keep Gethin for the big games!

With a weakened side eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:If Adam beasts the Beast we will be doing fine.Keep it tidy and tight.We can do this even with a weakened side.Keep Gethin for the big games!

With a weakened side eh?
We are only missing 2/3 British Lions but I would concede that our side is weakened.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:21 pm

But you have faith that your weakened side can do it
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:27 pm

biltongbek wrote:But you have faith that your weakened side can do it
Oh,yes.I have faith.Maybe misguided,maybe not.We will see what happens come Sunday if the coaches pick teams for a competition.At the best strength that we have available we can compete;if WG plays silly b*ggers to save players for the other games,who knows.I would like us to target SA as a must win game.Will WG?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:30 pm

faith is important bilton, faith in your family,faith in your close friends and faith in your country,and little wales has this in abundance, like s africa. Smile

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

Well good luck my friend, not long to go and our ramblings can turn to post mortems.
Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:48 pm

Taylorman wrote:Bullsbok I just think the Welsh have a chance. Being first up for both its still a one off, both away from home. SA should win, but they've also yet to be convincing. Wales will be heartily pleased to win this given their later matches and oddly could still miss out qualifying should SA regain their composure and Samoa perform to their max.

Should be interesting , a very very confident fired up Welsh side vs a Springbok side which apparently is there for the taking ,hasn't been convincing ,can only kick and cant play rugby , has a non existent backline which will be bested by the Welsh (did i miss anything ?)

i will just like to say this for all you naysayers, no Bok team is more likely to click and destroy the opposition than a Bok team thats been written off....
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

biltongbek wrote:Well good luck my friend, not long to go and our ramblings can turn to post mortems.
Very Happy
Likewise,Good luck to you and your side.I hope both sides play as well as they can and that the right side wins.(Red jerseys prefered!)

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

Missing Jenkins and Rees won't weaken us as Bennet (yes Huw!) and especially Paul James have showed up very well and will match or beat the Bokke scrums! Assuming Adam Jones will still be playing and fit; this is at least until SA bring on a fresh front row.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:02 pm

I'd pick

byrne

north

hook
roberts

shane

jones if not fit priestland
phillips

james
bennett
a jones

awj
davies

lydiate
warburton
ryan jones

bench

bevington owens charteris toby f knoyle halfpenny j davies

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

Hook has to be 10. We haven't won a game with Stephen jones at 10 for 18 months. We've lost the last 8 games he's started.
When was the last time our back-line fired with jones at 10?

The game will be won by the SA pack. Wales have no set-piece and are certain to have far less possession and and struggle for field position. If we don't get any ball we'll be steam-rolled. Simples!!

I look forward to welsh fans showing little respect for Samoa this time next week!

Last edited by manofgwent on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing word)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:37 am

Hmm, looks like Bakkies and Victor might miss the game.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Lock-crisis-in-Springbok-camp-20110905

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:03 am

Victor's playing Bakkies is the one in doubt.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:27 am

FerN wrote:Hmm, looks like Bakkies and Victor might miss the game.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Lock-crisis-in-Springbok-camp-20110905

Least the boys won't have to wear their eye shields Whistle
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:36 am

munkian wrote:

That's burger you numpty, and it happened once being reckless, let's not go there again.

It has been done to death, and we won't agree on the intent issue.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:41 am

The team's announced on Friday, am I right?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:46 am

biltongbek wrote:
munkian wrote:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2utr011/Lock-crisis-in-Springbok-camp-20110905

That's burger you numpty, and it happened once being reckless, let's not go there again.

It has been done to death, and we won't agree on the intent issue.

No, Burger is ANOTHER SA player done for gouging, Botha was suspended for 8 weeks for 'attacking the face' Erm
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:31 am

Ok, I tell you what, becuase this is the world cup and I do not have time to argue about irrelevant name bashing, I'll save you some time and some words.

All SA players are bullies, thugs, unpleasant people who have no regard for laws or respect for their opponents.

There, now we can carry on, and play against that lilly white innocent young bunch of Welsh rugby players..

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:40 am

That's a bit over the top Bilton - I think that Aplon chap is quite nice along with the gentle giant Matfield thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

RubyGuby wrote:That's a bit over the top Bilton - I think that Aplon chap is quite nice along with the gentle giant Matfield thumbsup

Very Happy I am just getting so tired of the same old $ hit. We are all excited about the world cup and then some furious cannot let the past go.

I would much rather talk rugby than listen to the same rants week after week.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

Then stop being so quick to "bite" all the time. If I'm honest I would give anything to have the nastiest 8 forwards in the game. I grew up in the 70's with the Ponty front row and some real head bangers in the side. We now have the nicest forwards going and it gets us nowhere. I'm not condoning violence but there is little room for angels in the loose and more often than not its the retaliation that gets picked up. Take a ChileRalapele pill and stop biting so quickly. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

biltongbek wrote:We are all excited about the world cup and then some furious cannot let the past go.

Who mentioned Jonny Wilkinson's drop goal? Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

huh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

Sorry Biltong, it was meant to be a joke. Some England fans can't let the past go when it comes to a certain match in 2003...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:02 am

No worries.

I guess there are just people that loves to lable a person as a thug and then completely forget that the person involved is also a rugby player.

Fact is you can't excuse any foul play, for for goodness sake, there are surely more important things to discuss than something a player did many moons ago.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

There doesn't seem much point Biltong, I agree. It's not as though no Welsh player's ever been discliplined for foul play.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

I like what I'm seeing from the Welsh camp. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a narrow Welsh victory here, maybe 5 points. Yes I'm being serious.

You heard it here 1st Wink.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next