The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

+48
BridgendBoyo
kiakahaaotearoa
TheGreyGhost
wayne
Dominic Dicoco
glamorganalun
Pal Joey
Luckless Pedestrian
FerN
jb1973
mr-bryns-attitude
manofgwent
Taylorman
Taffineastbourne
Josiah Maiestas
dogtooth
Cymroglan
andy powells minder
rodders
deadgoat
Ozzy3213
kingjohn7
deadfred
munkian
BlueNote
maestegmafia
Bullsbok
Comfort
nottins
Great White
BigTrevsbigmac
RubyGuby
TycroesOsprey
Biltong
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
chris_501
Totallybiasedscarlet
majesticimperialman
wales606
Gatts
Thespacedragon
nottins_jones
krusty
samuraidragon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
redrugbyexile
52 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 6 Empty Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by redrugbyexile Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Three weeks out, however things are begining to crystallise for September 11th. This is my team to face the Boks.

15 Halfpenny

14 North
13 Roberts
12 Hook
11 Williams

10 Jones
9 Phillips

1. James
2 Bennett
3 Jones

4. Wyn Jones
5 Davies

6 Lydiate
7 Warburton
8 Jones

Bench:
Mitchell, Burns, Faletau, Powell, Knoyle, Davies, Williams.

Reasoning:

1. Gethin- forget it at moment.
2. Bennett - best of bad bunch, but good in both England tests.
3. Faletau - need Ryan in the big one, Toby's time will come.
4. Jones/Hook - help me out here. I just think Roberts and Davies aint working. We need Hooks flair but the question is whether Jones is going to be up for this first game. All thoughts welcome.
5. Byrne, no form to merit being in the squad nevermind the team.

What do people think?

redrugbyexile

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 6 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by BridgendBoyo Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

Ignoring all previous results between the two, ignoring form, ignoring the fact one team is 2x world champs, ignoring the fact one team always does well, ignoring the other fact the other team tends to get knocked out of the tournament by a pacific island nation, ignoring all logic......cant see past a Wales win really....cymru an byth Yahoo

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 6 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

The last time I listened to Aussie opinion was during the 1991 Cricket world cup.

Before the tournament one of the crowd was interviewed and said in typical Ozzie accent " South Africa is a third world country with thrid rated players."

We consequently went to beat Australia in the pool. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

BridgendBoyo wrote:Ignoring all previous results between the two, ignoring form, ignoring the fact one team is 2x world champs, ignoring the fact one team always does well, ignoring the other fact the other team tends to get knocked out of the tournament by a pacific island nation, ignoring all logic......cant see past a Wales win really....cymru an byth Yahoo

Yeah that is pretty much the way I don't see it. OK
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

biltongbek wrote:
BridgendBoyo wrote:Ignoring all previous results between the two, ignoring form, ignoring the fact one team is 2x world champs, ignoring the fact one team always does well, ignoring the other fact the other team tends to get knocked out of the tournament by a pacific island nation, ignoring all logic......cant see past a Wales win really....cymru an byth Yahoo

Knew we'd wear you down eventually Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Thing is, I could see SA drop a game and still win the tournament. I feel that might be a bridge to far for Wales.

Surely the generous thing to do, would be for SA to throw the game in order to give the Welsh a chance. A similar tactic to that adopted by NZ v France and Australia. We all have to have our pet other teams, after all.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

andy powells minder wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Knew we'd wear you down eventually Very Happy

Read again dear Sir.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Thing is, I could see SA drop a game and still win the tournament. I feel that might be a bridge to far for Wales.

Surely the generous thing to do, would be for SA to throw the game in order to give the Welsh a chance. A similar tactic to that adopted by NZ v France and Australia. We all have to have our pet other teams, after all.

So Greyghost is Wales your PET team?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

biltongbek I think it's you that should read it again Very Happy
You agreed that you cant see past a Welsh win.

Ahhh you edited your post.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:50 pm

The "don't" was there all the time.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:50 pm

No

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

No mate, I said "that's pretty much how I don't see it"

sometimes I get confused, no maybe I'm not. Headscratch
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm

This convo got boring days ago.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

nottins wrote:The "don't" was there all the time.

Thanks nottins, for adjudicating the matter.

would you mind being the TMO for our next test vs NZ?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:57 pm

If Springboks keep getting injured at this rate Biltong you might have to ask him to cover at lock instead.

Wait, I see your point, it's probably possible for him to do both.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

Yes, you got it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

Matfield out with a Hammy too? Crikey.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

At this rate Wales might just really fancy their chances.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

GreyGhost wrote

"Crikey, those Aussies have got a bit lippy of late haven't they?"

And who's fecking fault is that mate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

biltongbek

With all due respect I for one did fancy our chances.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:25 pm

CYmroglan, one thing I will always respect about the Welsh, they are as passionate about their team and their rugby as we are.

The point I was making is that we are losing a few players too many now, and it will be easier for Wales.

It is bad enough that our best forward Juan Smith couldn't make the plane due to injury, if we now have victor out, our best back up is Andries Bekker also home with an injury, and Bakkies is replaced by a fine player with over 50 caps, but still not Bakkies Botha.

I just hope if Habana is not playing they will put either Lambie or Francois Hougaard on.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

Bilton

Our powerful and reliable Captain Matthew Rees is at home, Gethin one of our top players is out and Morgan Stoddart an outstanding full back/wing who had become first choice is nursing a broken leg. To a smaller nation like ourselves these are comparable to losing 6 front line Saffers surely. I wont mention Steven Jones as i don't think he should be in the team at the moment. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

And Gavlar of course is injured thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:10 pm

Thanks rubyguby now I feel confident again, you see how beneficial it is to have a few mates abroad.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:35 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Thing is, I could see SA drop a game and still win the tournament. I feel that might be a bridge to far for Wales.

Interesting notion but if anyone is going to throw the game it will be Wales...almost ensures them being runner up and thus avoiding NZ semi.

of course that is all based on them being able to beat Samoa and Fiji to be runners up.

I only hope all the hype has some substance and is not founded in the usual blind Welsh optimism. Much as I love our often misguided passion and perception that 'on our day we can beat anybody' and am willing to get on the bandwagon with anyone, especially Scott Gibbs, in talking up our chances, the simple truth is such optimism is often crushed within a few minutes of the kick off. On our day we rarely beat anybody of note.

Cymru am byth.

And Scott can shag my sister

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

Gatts wrote:I only hope all the hype has some substance and is not founded in the usual blind Welsh optimism. Much as I love our often misguided passion and perception that 'on our day we can beat anybody' and am willing to get on the bandwagon with anyone, especially Scott Gibbs, in talking up our chances, the simple truth is such optimism is often crushed within a few minutes of the kick off. On our day we rarely beat anybody of note.

Cymru am byth.

And Scott can shag my sister

+1 with all of that, he can have my mum aswell!

Ale

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:02 pm

Hes already had my nan, and he said she was crap, barsteward!!

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

Gatts, are you seriously suggesting Wales shouldn't be aiming to win on Sunday?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:41 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Gatts, are you seriously suggesting Wales shouldn't be aiming to win on Sunday?

No not seriously...just biting on the gg wum.

I categorically do not advocate throwing a game and of course the taffs won't do it - sadly don't think they will need to try and lose - the quarter and semi route for the winner of the group, is almost certain to be a semi v NZ. The runner up is almost certain to face Aus in the quarter and Eng in the semi...know which i would prefer.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:50 pm

Is it really 'almost certain' that the All Blacks will beat France in their group match?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:55 pm

Not sure who said it but yes...i think it is more than almost certain i think it is practically definitely certain.

Fr constructively dismiss their coach just before RWC, ho wonderfully revolutionary of them. Everyone knows FR can upset the ABs and if they do it they will wint he group and play Arg or Scots so they will turn up, but i can't see france doing them in the group.

They will get Eng in the quarter and they hate playing Eng at RWC who shoudl be on a roll of 5 straight wins

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:20 pm

wales and newzealand would only meet in a final, or a bronze playoff maybe
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:24 pm

Wales win group they play RU from Aus group probably Ireland, if they beat them its almost certainly a NZ semi

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:29 pm

No, if they top the group they play Ire then NZ, if they come runner up, they play Aus then whoever (probably France/England)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

wales newzealand semi. ouch, if we even get that far.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

i think hook will play 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

That surprises me, Gatts. I'd say it's far from certain that the All Blacks will beat France, even though they'll start as favourites and rightly so.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:That surprises me, Gatts. I'd say it's far from certain that the All Blacks will beat France, even though they'll start as favourites and rightly so.

i'm listening...you think a French side, whilst traditionally mercurial, that is in disarray with a coach who was constructively dismissed before the RWC will turn up at eden park and turn over the favourites...

It would be great for the comp, especially if Wales have beaten SA as we would meet them in semi; France traditionally fire during the knockout stages but i would rather play them than NZ any day

i just can't see France doing it.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:28 pm

I didn't say I think it'll happen. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a huge surprise if it did.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:40 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I didn't say I think it'll happen. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a huge surprise if it did.

?

Why bother...of course it would be a massive surprise....a bigger surprise than waking up next to George North in fact

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:48 pm

BOk SQUAD Announced . www.sarugby.co.za

15 Frans Steyn (Racing Metro, France) - 43 caps
14 JP Pietersen (The Sharks) - 38
13 Jaque Fourie (Western Province) - 64
12 Jean de Villiers (Western Province) - 69
11 Bryan Habana (Western Province) - 70
10 Morné Steyn (Blue Bulls) - 29
9 Fourie du Preez (Blue Bulls) - 57
8 Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls) - 42
7 Schalk Burger (Western Province) - 63
6 Heinrich Brüssow (Free State Cheetahs) - 15
5 Victor Matfield (Blue Bulls) - 107
4 Danie Rossouw (Blue Bulls) - 58
3 Jannie du Plessis (The Sharks) - 26
2 John Smit (captain) (The Sharks) - 106
1 Tendai Mtawarira (The Sharks) - 28
Replacements
16 Bismarck du Plessis (The Sharks) - 38
17 Gurthrö Steenkamp (Blue Bulls) - 33
18 CJ van der Linde (Golden Lions) - 72
19 Johann Muller (Ulster, N Ireland) - 23
20 Willem Alberts (The Sharks) - 4
21 Francois Hougaard (Blue Bulls) - 10
22 Butch James (Golden Lions) - 41
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:50 pm

Best cut and paste this onto the thugs page...

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:51 pm

I should not laugh Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:05 pm

817 caps in the run on team, that is huge experience.

A shame the main thug is not there. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:10 pm

That's one heck of a strong and experienced Boks side. I think Wales could get blown away in this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

I dont get this....for days we have been discussing how Wales could beat boks even after SA squad picked...most of us knew what was coming and yet now everyone has gone all weak at the knees.

What i see is the massive loss of Botha and a semi fit VM...DR is no replacement for BB. I see an opportunity for a young and super fit side to take ti to a tried but tested SA side with no real surprises who still insist on benching their best forward.

Shane, Jones, AWJ, RJ, MP, Hook, JR

All hugely experienced

North...loves the Boks and SW the form 7

Come on stop behaving like we are about to lose our virginity

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:22 pm

Rugby World Cup: Wales team announcement v South Africa: 10.45pm tonight

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

north loves the boks? he's played against them once people!! And Danie Roussow is a more than capable replacement for Bakkies,heck for other countries Danie would be starting .

Bissy and Alberts off the bench will be a massive boost for the Boks so too the fiesty hougaard
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:33 pm

Gatts do you really think Wales are the only fit team out there?

Danie Rossouw may not be the same intimidating player Bakkies is, but many would rate Bakkies as a risk to the team, something Rossouw doesn't portray.

You guys need to decide whether Bakkies is a thug or a world class player, because from what I have seen over the past few weeks the latter didn't feature much.

As for thinking the Boks won't offer any surprises, and you base our effectiveness on that one aspect you aren't very realistic.

Your team will bring passion, fitness, intensity and pride to the match, but remember the Boks are bringing the same elements to the party.

It surprises me still that people get on the same bandwagon of the Boks don't bring anything new. The truth is whether you believe we bring nothing or not, we are the one team able to negate the All Blacks game plan, and if we have the ability to be effective against them, then all the more likely to Wales
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:39 pm

True biltong ! all i've heard over the last few weeks is how fit the welsh team is,its like people think the Boks have spent the last month chilling around a braai ? The welsh will be in for a massive suprise from the way they've been severely underestimating the World champions
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:44 pm

The world champions deserve respect but you recently have not looked like a world champion side.
You seem to be astounded that any side would dare think they have a chance of beating you

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next