The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

+48
BridgendBoyo
kiakahaaotearoa
TheGreyGhost
wayne
Dominic Dicoco
glamorganalun
Pal Joey
Luckless Pedestrian
FerN
jb1973
mr-bryns-attitude
manofgwent
Taylorman
Taffineastbourne
Josiah Maiestas
dogtooth
Cymroglan
andy powells minder
rodders
deadgoat
Ozzy3213
kingjohn7
deadfred
munkian
BlueNote
maestegmafia
Bullsbok
Comfort
nottins
Great White
BigTrevsbigmac
RubyGuby
TycroesOsprey
Biltong
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
chris_501
Totallybiasedscarlet
majesticimperialman
wales606
Gatts
Thespacedragon
nottins_jones
krusty
samuraidragon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
redrugbyexile
52 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 7 Empty Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by redrugbyexile Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Three weeks out, however things are begining to crystallise for September 11th. This is my team to face the Boks.

15 Halfpenny

14 North
13 Roberts
12 Hook
11 Williams

10 Jones
9 Phillips

1. James
2 Bennett
3 Jones

4. Wyn Jones
5 Davies

6 Lydiate
7 Warburton
8 Jones

Bench:
Mitchell, Burns, Faletau, Powell, Knoyle, Davies, Williams.

Reasoning:

1. Gethin- forget it at moment.
2. Bennett - best of bad bunch, but good in both England tests.
3. Faletau - need Ryan in the big one, Toby's time will come.
4. Jones/Hook - help me out here. I just think Roberts and Davies aint working. We need Hooks flair but the question is whether Jones is going to be up for this first game. All thoughts welcome.
5. Byrne, no form to merit being in the squad nevermind the team.

What do people think?

redrugbyexile

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 7 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

Bullsbok wrote:True biltong ! all i've heard over the last few weeks is how fit the welsh team is,its like people think the Boks have spent the last month chilling around a braai ? The welsh will be in for a massive suprise from the way they've been severely underestimating the World champions
I can only wonder from which orrifice you are "speaking" coz in my mental image your lips are not moving!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 7 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Cymroglan wrote:The world champions deserve respect but you recently have not looked like a world champion side.
You seem to be astounded that any side would dare think they have a chance of beating you

You do know SA have just beaten NZ ? You seem to be astounded that SA have a chance of beating Wales.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:54 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I can only wonder from which orrifice you are "speaking" coz in my mental image your lips are not moving!

🤦

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

Gawd you Saffers really are having a hissy fit aren't you? I haven't seen any of my fellow Welsh fans underestimating the task of beating SA, let alone writing your team off.

South Africa are rightly one of the giants of the game. Wales will be hard pushed to beat them at ANY time given the relative resources of the two countries.

But right now it is the World Cup. South Africa have an ageing side (I said ageing, not old) and a coach who plainly doesnt know his 'arris from his elbow. You have shown more frailty in the last 18 months than combined South African sides have in the previous 5 seasons.

So IF Wales are going to cause an upset (and yes, it WILL be an upset if it happens), their chances are better now than they have been for some time.

This isn't Wendyball - in our sport we dont have to seperate the fans, we all get along, we all love the game enough to appreciate the opposition's skills even if they are beating us.

Relax guys, enjoy a beer or two, enjoy the match! Good luck!

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:58 pm

nottins Did you actually watch the game? NZ broke through several times it was only that uncharacteristically
poor handling that stopped them scoring a few times.
When on earth did I say that SA could not beat wales ? or did you just make that up.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm

Cymroglan wrote:When on earth did I say that SA could not beat wales ? or did you just make that up.

Where on Earth did I say you did ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

biltong

DR no replacement for BB...the BB VM 2nd row is the core of your pack. Couldn't care less about DR being a thug/not a thug...you know who bangs on most about it YOU!!

I didn't say we were the only fit side...but Boks are characterising their whole campaign on experience and where wales may find the inches they need is 1. Fitness...means our last third strength is even more potent 2. Predictability of a side that is based on experience....we look at the stats and we can say with some authority that SA will take on the game in a certain way

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

nottins wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:The world champions deserve respect but you recently have not looked like a world champion side.
You seem to be astounded that any side would dare think they have a chance of beating you

You do know SA have just beaten NZ ? You seem to be astounded that SA have a chance of beating Wales.

There,,,, and for somebody that does not like text speak you use a awful lot of smileys you would not put up pictures in real life would you,

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
nottins wrote:

There,,,, and for somebody that does not like text speak you use a awful lot of smileys you would not put up pictures in real life would you,

Not wishing to get involved in bickering, but you are misreading what I wrote.

I'll use smileys as I like thanks as they are NOT text speak. Would you put multiple commas in the real life world ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

Nottins When did I say that that South Africa could not or even have a chance of beating Wales? You came on this thread and suggested I would be astounded if South Africa beat Wales.

Upset yes astounded no

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:21 pm

Gatts wrote:biltong

DR no replacement for BB...the BB VM 2nd row is the core of your pack. Couldn't care less about DR being a thug/not a thug...you know who bangs on most about it YOU!!

I didn't say we were the only fit side...but Boks are characterising their whole campaign on experience and where wales may find the inches they need is 1. Fitness...means our last third strength is even more potent 2. Predictability of a side that is based on experience....we look at the stats and we can say with some authority that SA will take on the game in a certain way

Bakkies gets replaced By Danie at the 60min mark every game anyway so yes he's a decent replacement!! Dont worry with Bakkies out the Boks lose their Chief Enforcer but with Schalla back we got one of the worlds best loosies on the park Smile as for the intimidation factor normally associated with the springbok pack, Bismarck Du plessis will fill in brilliantly off the bench . on a side note , Im curious why is it always the Welsh talking the most everytime . The world cup hasnt even started but we've had more press releases from the welsh camp than the Tri Nations combined.Everyone there seems to have something to say
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:26 pm

Bullsbok This is the world stage let's sell the game we need the coaches to talk the more the better.
Non believers think our game is dull let's show them it's not.
A bit of pre match shadow boxing works well in other sports.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
Gatts wrote:biltong

Bakkies gets replaced By Danie at the 60min mark every game anyway so yes he's a decent replacement!! Dont worry with Bakkies out the Boks lose their Chief Enforcer but with Schalla back we got one of the worlds best loosies on the park Smile as for the intimidation factor normally associated with the springbok pack, Bismarck Du plessis will fill in brilliantly off the bench . on a side note , Im curious why is it always the Welsh talking the most everytime . The world cup hasnt even started but we've had more press releases from the welsh camp than the Tri Nations combined.Everyone there seems to have something to say

if you had George north you would want to shout about it

do please enlighten us on how many press releases the Welsh have made

incredibly delusional really, you guys bang on about VM and BB but can't just accept his loss is significant. DR one of the world's best....utility forwards maybe. As for picking Smit over BDP...I suppose that makes sense too, pick the ageing general to steer an ageing side

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

ML wrote:Gawd you Saffers really are having a hissy fit aren't you? I haven't seen any of my fellow Welsh fans underestimating the task of beating SA, let alone writing your team off.

South Africa are rightly one of the giants of the game. Wales will be hard pushed to beat them at ANY time given the relative resources of the two countries.

But right now it is the World Cup. South Africa have an ageing side (I said ageing, not old) and a coach who plainly doesnt know his 'arris from his elbow. You have shown more frailty in the last 18 months than combined South African sides have in the previous 5 seasons.

So IF Wales are going to cause an upset (and yes, it WILL be an upset if it happens), their chances are better now than they have been for some time.

This isn't Wendyball - in our sport we dont have to seperate the fans, we all get along, we all love the game enough to appreciate the opposition's skills even if they are beating us.

Relax guys, enjoy a beer or two, enjoy the match! Good luck!

ML, it is not so much the fans that have written the Boks off, it is the media, ex players and pundits.

Are you aware of the fact that the All Black team's average age is actually higher than ours?

Oh and there is no hissy fit. kiss
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

Gentlemen, can I just make a kind reminder to everyone, we are two of the most passionate nations when it comes to rugby, I know things will get a little heated every now and then.

But let's just take it with a little understanding. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm

biltongbek wrote:Gentlemen, can I just make a kind reminder to everyone, we are two of the most passionate nations when it comes to rugby, I know things will get a little heated every now and then.

But let's just take it with a little understanding. Hug

Have you
a. banged your head
b. started sniffing glue
c. quit sniffing glue
d. any of the above

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:47 pm

e: All of the above.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm

biltongbek wrote:e: All of the above.
Yahoo

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

biltongbek wrote:
ML, it is not so much the fans that have written the Boks off, it is the media, ex players and pundits.

Of course they have. This is Wales - we only have Rugby , rain and sheep. People get bored of reading wet sheep stories so once every 4 years the media go WILD!

biltongbek wrote:
Are you aware of the fact that the All Black team's average age is actually higher than ours?

Yes - thats why I said ageing not old!

biltongbek wrote:

Hug Ale Ale

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:56 pm

Maybe we all need to take a valium, cause I am psyched out of my mind, it is now real. the teams have been selected and we can use the all Black game as an appetizer. idea
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm

ML wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Of course they have. This is Wales - we only have Rugby , rain and sheep. People get bored of reading wet sheep stories so once every 4 years the media go WILD!

biltongbek wrote:

Yes - thats why I said ageing not old!

biltongbek wrote:

Hug Ale Ale

Is the stat about NZ team average referring to sheep too...I think NZ have more sheep than we do in Wales by a coefcient factor of .276, so if you correlate that inversely with the potential pleasure from sheep love and square it you will find the answer is

Wales 17
South Africa 12

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:01 pm

Thanks for doing the half time calculation.

The rest of it goes like this.

Wales 17 + missed drop goal + forward pass+ missed penalty = 17
SA 12 + 7+3+5 = 27.

Yeah sounds about right. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:01 pm

I only leave here for a few hours and you're all arguing again - You're worse than my 2 kids - Now make up or I wont let you watch the games on the weekend Hug

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

Wales: Hook; North, J Davies, Roberts, Shane Williams; Priestland, Phillips; James, Bennett, A Jones, Charteris, AW Jones, Lydiate, Warburton (captain), Faletau.

Replacements: Bevington, Burns, B Davies, Powell, Knoyle, Scott Williams, Halfpenny.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

We already made up, well I tried and then I was asked to share my glue.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:03 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Wales: Hook; North, J Davies, Roberts, Shane Williams; Priestland, Phillips; James, Bennett, A Jones, Charteris, AW Jones, Lydiate, Warburton (captain), Faletau.

Replacements: Bevington, Burns, B Davies, Powell, Knoyle, Scott Williams, Halfpenny.

from where? Ryan injured?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm

Why is Hook 15 and Priestland 10? Priestland is the better 15, and Hook is supposedly our 1st choice 10 now - so why move him around. Suprised that they've dropped Davies for Chateris, thought they would have gone for Davies grunt - but I'm not complaining - just glad Powell isn't in the team

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:05 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14774382.stm

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:07 pm

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:12 pm

We have stuck James Hook at fullback again so what was the point of taking an out of form Lee Byrne in the first place!

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:16 pm

Well it is a bold selection by Gatland, I will give him that! This really is a VERY attacking line up. Toby in instead of Ryan Jones (who doesnt even make the bench), Hook at 15 and Priestland at 10. I would rather have gone for the more defensively sound Byrne at 15 against the Boks who will pepper the back 3, but having both Priestland and Hook in the side is a far more attack-minded choice than I was expecting, and Hook is better than Priestland under the high ball.

I think this could all go horribly wrong, but the more I look at it, the more I admire Gatland's bravery in choosing the side.

He is going for broke in the first game, knowing that he can still qualify if they lose, but will get a HUGE advantage IF they can pull off a win.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:20 pm

Yes but charteris....why? Please explain why he has been picked OTHER than that he is taller than George North...and what is the huge advantage...win and we almost certainly would play NZ in the semi after playing Ire in a quarter

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:33 pm

Thats unfair on Charteris............he was VERY good against England, far better display than Bradley has put in for some time.

A huge advantage to win because it all but guarantees our progression to the QF and takes the pressure off to a certain extent.

And yes - I would rather play Ireland in a quarter final than Australia! Plus leaving the group unbeaten would give the squad an immense lift.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm

ML wrote:Thats unfair on Charteris............he was VERY good against England, far better display than Bradley has put in for some time.

A huge advantage to win because it all but guarantees our progression to the QF and takes the pressure off to a certain extent.

And yes - I would rather play Ireland in a quarter final than Australia! Plus leaving the group unbeaten would give the squad an immense lift.

yes of course you are right but i still think we want to be runners up.....say we beak Boks....aussies play ireland sept 17, same day we play samoa...if Ireland beat Aussies reckon we might lose to Samoa!! If Aussies win we will avoid them but we will face NZ in the semis.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:59 am

Just checked Wales caps...we have about 500 with another 80 0n the bench....

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:08 am

Gatts wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:I didn't say I think it'll happen. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a huge surprise if it did.

?

Why bother...of course it would be a massive surprise....a bigger surprise than waking up next to George North in fact

A side that has beaten New Zealand in two World Cups, and beat them in New Zealand a couple of seasons ago, beating them again - I wouldn't consider that a 'massive surprise' at all.

I don't think we're going to agree on this one! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:25 am

Anyway, on the Welsh team selection, I'm 100% happy with it. Let's take the game to them and let them worry about us. Fair play, Mr Gatland.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:29 am

Who's worried. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:31 am

Touche, Biltong! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:53 am

Morning chaps, you guys sleep well boxing

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:55 am

Morning Rubyguby, think about it, in 48 hours it is our turn.

CAN'T WAIT. Yahoo Springbok randy Wales
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:01 am

Its nice to see that sense of humour on fire Bilton - When I saw the welsh side I had the same feeling as I did when we played England at home recently, lightweight (ish), however we managed to win that by 10 and never really looked like losing when we scored the try, even though we had little posession - I think we have a 1 in 5 chance of winning this - Time to roll the dice I think - When I look at the SA bench and Wales bench I think there is a gulf there. Against those nasty Saffers there are likely to be injuries - Our replacements do not fill me with confidence but with that said - COME ON WALESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Wales Springbok Cry

Me and George Sunday night randy appletini

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:11 am

Man I am starting to feel for poor old George. 🤦
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:13 am

Fair point - Anyways I'm guessing you're George equivelant is someone like Juan Smit or John Smit - Who is it? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

Juan Smith, for me the quintessential honest hard working south african, an example of how to be a star on the rugby field and an example to young kids in our country.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

Well said, Biltong. Juan Smith is one of the greats and I imagine you'll miss him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:50 am

Cheers Bilton - Juan is a great role model and very much in the baby faced assasin mould thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

RubyGuby wrote:Cheers Bilton - Juan is a great role model and very much in the baby faced assasin mould thumbsup

Cant stop thinking of Leo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond whenever I see him. They're brothers! Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

Yeah, De Caprio is the ugly one though!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

compared to scott gibbs, they're both bluidy mona lisas Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next