The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

+48
BridgendBoyo
kiakahaaotearoa
TheGreyGhost
wayne
Dominic Dicoco
glamorganalun
Pal Joey
Luckless Pedestrian
FerN
jb1973
mr-bryns-attitude
manofgwent
Taylorman
Taffineastbourne
Josiah Maiestas
dogtooth
Cymroglan
andy powells minder
rodders
deadgoat
Ozzy3213
kingjohn7
deadfred
munkian
BlueNote
maestegmafia
Bullsbok
Comfort
nottins
Great White
BigTrevsbigmac
RubyGuby
TycroesOsprey
Biltong
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
chris_501
Totallybiasedscarlet
majesticimperialman
wales606
Gatts
Thespacedragon
nottins_jones
krusty
samuraidragon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
redrugbyexile
52 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 5 Empty Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by redrugbyexile Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Three weeks out, however things are begining to crystallise for September 11th. This is my team to face the Boks.

15 Halfpenny

14 North
13 Roberts
12 Hook
11 Williams

10 Jones
9 Phillips

1. James
2 Bennett
3 Jones

4. Wyn Jones
5 Davies

6 Lydiate
7 Warburton
8 Jones

Bench:
Mitchell, Burns, Faletau, Powell, Knoyle, Davies, Williams.

Reasoning:

1. Gethin- forget it at moment.
2. Bennett - best of bad bunch, but good in both England tests.
3. Faletau - need Ryan in the big one, Toby's time will come.
4. Jones/Hook - help me out here. I just think Roberts and Davies aint working. We need Hooks flair but the question is whether Jones is going to be up for this first game. All thoughts welcome.
5. Byrne, no form to merit being in the squad nevermind the team.

What do people think?

redrugbyexile

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 5 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by Gatts Thu 08 Sep 2011, 6:13 am

Jones the donkey and Powell the complete muppet...is this the best we can do.

RJ rampaged his way across the gainline in 2005, in fact he did an entire career's worth of carrying, my gran thought he was a legend and she was 92.....now his lumpy legs go all feeble if he goes anywhere near a gainline, sure he has had a bang on the head and now thinks the objective is to score on the touchline...can someone explain why he slowed down..did he bulk up?

Still, i 'd pick him every day instead of AP who is the ultimate OSW and comes across as one of the most stupid in international rugby

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well). - Page 5 Empty Re: Welsh Team To Face South Africa (Assuming all are fit and well).

Post by manofgwent Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:15 am

Ryan jones moves like a boxer dog who's back legs have gone and Powell just looks like a boxer dog!!!
Sorry. I just can't have jones at 10. He's knocking on 34 years of age. He makes Ryan jone look like usain bolt!
Gatland should have developed a 10 alongside jones, like the Irish have done with sexton. Instead, hook fits into the back-line whenever there's an injury and priestland made his first start in august. Now jones (who is forever injured) i's injured again, it'll come back to hook to fit in. How much confidence must hook take from never being backed as Wales 10. He played at 15 against England in the 6N's. Jones gets injured and he's playing 10. Come the warm up games and Stephen is starting again.
I wouldn't mind playing jones, but I can't remember his last good game for Wales. We've lost the last 8 games that jones has started at 10. He can't run, his restarts are shocking, his kicking isn't great. Oh I forgot. He can tackle. I couldn't give a toss if he can tackle or not. He's not our blindside forward. He offers nothing in attack.

Last edited by manofgwent on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing word.)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:19 am

Well boys, Bakkies Botha is not going to be risked, so in his place t is likely you'll see world cup no 8, Danie Rossouw in his place. Not a bad exchange, he is more disciplined, perhaps not so rough but yet a physical specimen of the highest order, and an excellent line out option. Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:24 am

Gatts wrote:Based on that thought process don't pick anyone who has lost to SA?!

I understand what you are saying and were Toby a few games more experienced than he is I would start him without a thought...that we are even debating this after 3 games indicates his class. He is the future no doubt but for me Ryan is the solid option, he brings more to the back row, leadership in a side without SJ, MW, GJ and what we need is experience of high pressure rugby.
The point that I was trying to make is that not all experiences are positive.If 2 players are in contention for a starting place I would favour the player with the least baggage.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:32 am

jb1973 wrote:If adam is fit our scrum should be ok, Ryan is no ball carrier at 8 and that is a worry but he is good leader, experienced and gives us a line out option. (which is vital against matfield)

Toby F is a ball carrier but did spill quite a few balls v england in cardiff and I don't think he is much of a line out option.

We could throw powell into the mix or even play toby f instead of lydiate and have him at 8 when it;s our scrum ball?

I'm not a phillips fan but he played well in the warm up games so who knows?

Priestland roberts and hook looks a better balanced midfield than hook roberts and davies to me.

I'd start with those 3 and have davies on the bench so we can always adjust if it isn't working

we won;t beat the boks playing 10 men rugby or by using two crash ball centres.

a 15 man game is the best option for us

JB,

Would you seriously pick Faletau over Lydiate at 6?

If Toby isn't experienced enough to play at 8 which is his normal position then why would he be experienced enough to play in the unfamiliat role of 6 and leave our best No6 out?

If Gats went with Faletau Powell and Warbs I would be seriously worried that we would be on the end of a hammering.

Lydiate and Warbs are def starters for me with Faletau or Jones as the only real otions at No8 - Dare I say we should have taken Delve.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:46 am

biltongbek wrote:Well boys, Bakkies Botha is not going to be risked, so in his place t is likely you'll see world cup no 8, Danie Rossouw in his place. Not a bad exchange, he is more disciplined, perhaps not so rough but yet a physical specimen of the highest order, and an excellent line out option. Yahoo

Pheeww, Botha out, Roussow in (sigh) feel much better now, thanks BB

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

Yeah Rossouw is more the straight up guy, he playes the game and not the player, in my opinion not a bad move at all, he is a great ball carrier, fantastic tackler, if you remember that try saving tackle in the 2007 RWC on Tait I think it was Rossouw was the man.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:10 am

Don't worry Bilton young George is chomping at the bit ready to run straight at Rossouw, Bakkies had obviously heard of George Hug

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:17 am

RubyGuby, mate the reason Bakkies is not playing is because they don't want him to hurt your golden boy.

Bakkies was like a rabid dog when PDV told him he is not allowed to play.

Have you ever seen such a big grown man cry? Cry

A sight to behold I tell ya.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:21 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:If 2 players are in contention for a starting place I would favour the player with the least baggage.

I'd favour the player more likely to cause the opposition problems. In this case it's Faletau.

But as I've said, Gatland's almost certain to pick Ryan Jones. In fairness, he had a good game when he came on at Twickenham, but I'd love to see us back ourselves rather than looking to contain the 'Boks. We need to be bold.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:22 am

No Bakkies and now no Habana?

I'm wondering whether PDV is assembling another camp in Rustenburg after it worked so well last time.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:26 am

Our man in Durban
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14828860.stm

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:28 am

Correct. Lydiate i's an absolute shoe-in. Along with warburton, they make a brilliant 6 and 7. Our back row has been excellent. Especially in defence in Cardiff. It's the front 3 and the over rated 2 in the 2nd row which concern me.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:39 am

I just love it.

"But all that said and done, it's a World Cup and they're still third in the IRB [International Rugby Board] rankings and they are a side capable of upsetting Australia and New Zealand, England, France, Wales on their day.

Unfortunately my friend, it is not an upset when we beat any team.

You must admit though, with all these news reports and opinions flying around some people are going to have a lot of egg on their face y sunday afternoon.

Keep writing us off boys, the hurt will just be so much more unbearable come sunday. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

Bilton - if you think 1 welsh person out of 3 million is writing SA off you are greatly misguided - Some optimists think we have a chance, possibly a 1 in 10 chance maybe a 1 in 5 but to assume that they are writing SA off is about the same as saying Wales are writing the All Blacks off - thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by deadgoat Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:49 am

Bakkies being out is a huge blow especially at scrum time, but at least we'll finally play 80 minutes with 15 men for a change thumbsup

Habana being out may seem like a blow for some but having watched him play for the Stormers and Boks he always has this urge to steal the limelight instead of doing his job. Rushing out of the defensive line when its not necessary, trying to take on defences by himself and getting isolated, trying to be the halfback at every chance. World class he may have been but he costs us a few points in every game

deadgoat

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:49 am

On 2nd thoughts Scott Gibbs will have egg on his face on Sunday.

Do you like that nice pic of young George slicing through the SA defence Bilton Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:52 am

RubyGuby wrote:On 2nd thoughts Scott Gibbs will have egg on his face on Sunday.

Do you like that nice pic of young George slicing through the SA defence Bilton Run

That was his first ry in that test?Yeah that came from first phase they set up a very nice gap for him with that try, I remember it very well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

Biltong, Ruby's right when he says that not every Welshman is as bullish about our chances as Scott Gibbs is; but you should also know that not every Welshman is as deeply in love with George North as Ruby is! Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:56 am

BB. It's the same old garbage we hear every time we play the all blacks.
I just don't know where we get this arrogance from.
If you think we're deluded and disrespectful towards SA. Just wait until this time next week when we'll be banging on about how many tries we'll run in against poor old Samoa.
I didnt realise how disliked welsh fans were until I got on the message boards a couple of years ago.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:00 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Biltong, Ruby's right when he says that not every Welshman is as bullish about our chances as Scott Gibbs is; but you should also know that not every Welshman is as deeply in love with George North as Ruby is! Wink

It's not love at all!!! It's just a flirtacious crush, probably get over it when he starts knocking on balls and missing tackles.

On a more serious note i have watched this guy for a long time and I was surprised even at the start of the 6 Nations that people were not including him in their teams. He and Warburton IMO are the first on the team list. Of course i know he's young and I only josh a little about him which makes for good banter, however I honestly believe that we are watching a young John Kirwan here; he is fast and brutal in contact and always breaks the gain line. Ruby heart George thumbsup

Watch him have a mare on Sunday now I've said that Sad

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

I was chatting with George a couple of weeks back at the Anglesey music festival he looked in great shape.
I have followed Georges career since he started playing for my local club Llangefni this boy will be world class.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

He could be one of the great Welsh wingers*, Ruby. I'm always reluctant to heap praise on a young player, though - the weight of expectation doesn't sit easily on some.

*Alongside the likes of Arthur Emyr, Glen Webbe, Hal Luscombe... Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Biltong, Ruby's right when he says that not every Welshman is as bullish about our chances as Scott Gibbs is; but you should also know that not every Welshman is as deeply in love with George North as Ruby is! Wink

laughing

Well, you have to admit he had a good start to his international career, but it reminds me of another fellow that everyone was freaking about not so long ago. A certain Mr. SBW, and now he is just another international player. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

RubyGuby wrote:

It's not love at all!!! It's just a flirtacious crush, probably get over it when he starts knocking on balls and missing tackles.

On a more serious note i have watched this guy for a long time and I was surprised even at the start of the 6 Nations that people were not including him in their teams. He and Warburton IMO are the first on the team list. Of course i know he's young and I only josh a little about him which makes for good banter, however I honestly believe that we are watching a young John Kirwan here; he is fast and brutal in contact and always breaks the gain line. Ruby heart George thumbsup

Watch him have a mare on Sunday now I've said that Sad

So it is what they call a "mancrush" Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:12 am

I think we all appreciate the likely outcome is an SA win. We always manage to delude ourselves that we're in with a real shout - maybe this time it isn't quite such a delusion to imagine that, but obviously SA are favourites.

I'd feel so much better if we had Matthew Rees or Hibbard playing.

Glad Bakkies isn't playing, we have a marginally better chance of keeping our players intact for Samoa.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:16 am

mog,

I know we have dis-agreed on this topic before, IMO I wouldn't say Davies and AWJ are over rated BUT I admit they are not on best form or playing to the ability.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:32 am

Bedford.
I think they're both fortunate that there aren't any young players ready to step up. We've seen warburton and lydiate oust the old guard. I wish they had more pressure on them for their jerseys. I find it so frustrating when players who aren't on form being guaranteed a start. eg. Lee Byrne.
Both AWJ on butter fingers have to really step it up.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

mog,

Totally agree on that point that they need serious competition to push them to reach their best.

For me I just wish I Evans could have a complete injury free season as he does look to have that mean streak in him that we need.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

"So it is what they call a "mancrush" "

No Bilton - It's what George will be doing to Aplon on Sunday thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

It does sound like you have a bit of anaffinity for him, Rubyguby.

If george wants to Hug aplon, he will have to catch him first. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

when is Gats naming the side??

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

Not sure he was most likely waiting to hear whether Bakkies botha will be on the wing to face the GEORGE. laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

Wales team announcement v South Africa: 10.45pm tonight

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

Cmyro the MOMENT it is announced, post a team thread! thumbsup
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:48 pm

Consider it done Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

Another one? Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

Not sure where gatland's announcing his team, but I can guarantee huw Bennett will be on his knees under the desk when it's being read out. A commandant lusard police academy moment.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

Articles on Wales.

did wales succeed with their warm ups? check
Did Gatland make the right selections? check
Can we beat Fiji? check
Can we beat Samoa? check
should we consider beating SA? check
Now that we know we will beat SA, by how many will we beat them? check
George North is my hero! check.

and now a team sheet? Headscratch
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

You may wish to edit the OP and say that it´s 3 days out and not 3 weeks out. It makes your team look like a retrospective team that would´ve beaten the Boks if they´d been picked.

But well done to you Welsh lads. You can always rely on you to fill up a post related to Wales.

Wales has to dominate in the scrum as no doubt SA will dominate in the lineout, even without Botha if he doesn´t play. No aimless kicking with poor chasing and Wales have to attack the Bok line with ball in hand and do it at pace.

A huge game first up but Wales have to treat the game as though their tournament hopes depend on it as that may well be the case further down te line. So it should be a great game and good luck to you all.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:06 pm

deadgoat wrote:Bakkies being out is a huge blow especially at scrum time, but at least we'll finally play 80 minutes with 15 men for a change thumbsup

Habana being out may seem like a blow for some but having watched him play for the Stormers and Boks he always has this urge to steal the limelight instead of doing his job. Rushing out of the defensive line when its not necessary, trying to take on defences by himself and getting isolated, trying to be the halfback at every chance. World class he may have been but he costs us a few points in every game

He put in a couple of brilliant covering tackles in the PE 3N game. Cowan was 5 meters from the line already thinking about his post try celebration. I was celebrating already, and Habana traveled from the ten meter line on the opposite side of the pitch to cut him down, even against the angle Cowan was running to the corner flag. It was just insane.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

biltongbek
What's the problem ?I'm sure that you are aware this is a rugby forum.
Do as I do if a particular thread is of no interest to me I simply don't get involved in it.

Last edited by Cymroglan on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

Yeah, he showed some serious pace to get there, and a well executed tackle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

Cymroglan wrote:biltongbek
What's the prober ?I'm sure that you are aware this is a rugby forum.
Do as I do if a particular thread is of no interest to me I simply don't get involved in it.

I made a funny, lighten up mate. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

biltongbek wrote:Yeah, he showed some serious pace to get there, and a well executed tackle

I bet that's exactly how you put it at the time too, ...

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

Not sure where gatland's announcing his team, but I can guarantee huw Bennett will be on his knees under the desk when it's being read out. A commandant lusard police academy moment.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Wales team announcement v South Africa: 10.45pm tonight

Read the above.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:13 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Yeah, he showed some serious pace to get there, and a well executed tackle

I bet that's exactly how you put it at the time too, ...

I may have been a little more over zealous at the time, but not that much more. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

If habana is even slightly injured he should be rested!! His workrate will be missed but in Aplon and Hougaard we get an extra attacking option . I'd still start Habana in a tight game coz his workrate and defence is top class.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

The Aussie coaching staff have apparently given neither Wales nor South Africa a chance of winning the tournament anyway.

So you can see those Aussies think you're both irrelevant.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5589835/Leading-coach-McKenzie-dismisses-Springboks

Not that I'm stirring or anything. Crikey, those Aussies have got a bit lippy of late haven't they?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next