The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

+37
sensisball
demosthenes
LondonTiger
TJ
Artful_Dodger
nickj
yappysnap
lostinwales
des
Nematode
reallybored
bsando
Prothero
HongKongCherry
Hazel Sapling
RossAnderson
BigGee
Senlac
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
jimbopip
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
GLove39
Tattie Scones RRN
EST
Eejit
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
cakeordeath
EWT Spoons
George Carlin
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
41 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting   (click to show/hide):

Guinness Pro12

Edinburgh - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 action here.

Glasgow Warriors - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 action here.

Europe

Champions Cup - Glasgow Warriors   (click to show/hide):

Challenge Cup - Edinburgh   (click to show/hide):

1872 Cup

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Trophy

Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs

1872 Cup - Past Results   (click to show/hide):

The season has commenced

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 1347041234

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:23 pm; edited 40 times in total (Reason for editing : Added links to YouTube playlists of Pro12 highlights)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Perhaps he's replacing Sam Allardyce?

This is positive news, but only insofar as the SRU have a credible replacement in mind. I don't believe it should be one of the existing coaches.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by RDW Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Scottish Rugby can confirm Alan Solomons has today decided to step down as Edinburgh Rugby Head Coach.

Duncan Hodge [right] has been appointed to take on the role of Acting Head Coach with Stevie Scott and Peter Wilkins remaining in their current roles.

Scottish Rugby Chief Executive, Mark Dodson, said: “Alan came in as Head Coach at a difficult time in Edinburgh Rugby’s history and helped to stabilise and strengthen the club.

"He achieved some notable successes including leading the first Scottish team to a European Final of the Challenge Cup in 2015 and back to back 1872 Scottish Cup victories over Glasgow Warriors.

Duncan brings his recent coaching experience from the Scotland national team as well as his long playing career with Edinburgh into the role and he will receive our full support to keep moving the club forward.

- - Scottish Rugby Chief Executive Mark Dodson

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Alan for his significant contribution to the Edinburgh club and I wish him well for the future.”

Alan Solomons said: “I have decided to step down. I understand Scottish Rugby have appointed Duncan Hodge as the new Acting Head Coach and I wish him well.

I have greatly enjoyed working with the players and coaches and feel I have helped to put the club on a much stronger footing over the past three years and am leaving it in a better place than when I arrived.”

- - Alan Solomons

Duncan Hodge returned to Edinburgh Rugby as an Assistant Coach in November 2015 after working with Scotland national team coaching group full time since 2012, culminating with the 2015 Rugby World Cup. He played 150 times for Edinburgh over 11 seasons.

The promotion to Acting Head Coach now provides an opportunity to stake his claim for the role on a permanent basis in the Guinness PRO12 and European Challenge Cup.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:35 pm

To give Solomons some credit, we are in better shape than when he started, however I do feel that we could have been much further on.

I'm pleased with this development.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:36 pm

It's all happening today isn't it!

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:39 pm

McBumfertie wrote:"He achieved some notable successes including leading the first Scottish team to a European Final of the Challenge Cup in 2015 and back to back 1872 Scottish Cup victories over Glasgow Warriors.

A list really should have at least three things on it, though.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Hodge has to be the odds on favourite to get the job long term. The SRU clearly rate him, and if he doesn't totally suck during the next few games then he'll probably be given it full time. It's cheap and involves the SRU's patented approach of a thorough search and then appointing the person next door.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:49 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Hodge has to be the odds on favourite to get the job long term.  The SRU clearly rate him, and if he doesn't totally suck during the next few games then he'll probably be given it full time.  It's cheap and involves the SRU's patented approach of a thorough search and then appointing the person next door.

Sadly you're probably right. Who better to transform our fortunes than the existing group of coaches. I mean, Hodge has done a marvellous job with our backs thus far. Makes perfect sense.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Sadly you're probably right. Who better to transform our fortunes than the existing group of coaches. I mean, Hodge has done a marvellous job with our backs thus far. Makes perfect sense.

In fact if you were picking our biggest problem area under Solomons tenure it would be backline play in general (or lack thereof). Only natural for the backs coach to get a nice promotion out of it.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Hodge has to be the odds on favourite to get the job long term.  The SRU clearly rate him, and if he doesn't totally suck during the next few games then he'll probably be given it full time.  It's cheap and involves the SRU's patented approach of a thorough search and then appointing the person next door.

Sadly you're probably right. Who better to transform our fortunes than the existing group of coaches. I mean, Hodge has done a marvellous job with our backs thus far. Makes perfect sense.

Now, now the SRU may pull a stonker yet and sign another gem of a coach from abroad.

Matt Williams is free as far as I'm aware ;-)

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:56 pm

IF Glasgow are getting a very succesful Super Rugby Coach and we're getting Duncan Hodge I don't think weegies could ever complain against Edinburgh bias ever again.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:59 pm

With regards to Hodge and our stuttering (totally f'ing useless) backline, either Solomons didn't let them play anything other than forward orientated gameplan, or Hodge is just as inept. I'm really hoping it's the former and now the players will play eyecatching, expansive, winning rugby.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Maybe the training regime will change and give a bit more emphasis on skills such as passing rather than kick and chase.

Also Cotter is off to Montpellier. Got treated poorly and wish him well.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Shame this mess didn't resolve before Vern agreed to go to Montpellier. Would have loved him at Edinburgh

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:05 pm

The way Bristol are going, Robinson might also be free soon.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Interesting question - I keep reading that Edinburgh are near the top of the list for potential appointments for Stuart Lancaster, but Andy Robinson certainly puts the cat amongst the pigeons!

Ok my exfoliated, roll-neck jumper-wearing, jazz-flute enjoying brethren, which of the out-of-work former England coaches would you pick?

I'm definitely in #TeamStu.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:34 pm

This is how I imagine that conversation going Spoons;

"Hi Vern, take a seat

So Townie has told us he is leaving for Quins, Bath or another team with money unless he gets the Scotland job pronto. We desperately want him to stay.

We don't want to fire you though, instead we want to give you a promotion! To manage Glasgow I hear you say? No, no my dear fellow, we want you to manage Edinburgh! Solomons as you know has done a cracking job but unfortunately his carers are saying his memory is getting too far gone. He keeps selecting the same side thinking they are playing Stirling County in a friendly and tells the players "to take it easy on them."

Just imagine, you get to coach at Myrside in front of 2000 local protesters who will provide a far better atmosphere than in Murrayfield and your best number 10 is a castoff from Newport. If you can win the league with him, it would be the biggest achievement since Connacht won the league!"

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm

IanBru wrote:Interesting question - I keep reading that Edinburgh are near the top of the list for potential appointments for Stuart Lancaster, but Andy Robinson certainly puts the cat amongst the pigeons!

Ok my exfoliated, roll-neck jumper-wearing, jazz-flute enjoying brethren, which of the out-of-work former England coaches would you pick?

Isn't Lancaster currently employed by Leinster?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm

IanBru wrote:Interesting question - I keep reading that Edinburgh are near the top of the list for potential appointments for Stuart Lancaster, but Andy Robinson certainly puts the cat amongst the pigeons!

He is now Leinster defence coach!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Spoons beat me to it...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:This is how I imagine that conversation going Spoons;

"Hi Vern, take a seat

So Townie has told us he is leaving for Quins, Bath or another team with money unless he gets the Scotland job pronto. We desperately want him to stay.

We don't want to fire you though, instead we want to give you a promotion! To manage Glasgow I hear you say? No, no my dear fellow, we want you to manage Edinburgh! Solomons as you know has done a cracking job but unfortunately his carers are saying his memory is getting too far gone. He keeps selecting the same side thinking they are playing Stirling County in a friendly and tells the players "to take it easy on them."

Just imagine, you get to coach at Myrside in front of 2000 local protesters who will provide a far better atmosphere than in Murrayfield and your best number 10 is a castoff from Newport. If you can win the league with him, it would be the biggest achievement since Connacht won the league!"

Wow, now you put it like that I can't believe he's not stayed. Wink Wink

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Maybe a change of coach will make a difference, sometimes it does.

It is not as if Edinburgh don't have a decent squad, on paper they should be doing so much better than they do, but unfortunately Solly was not to be the man to get them to click.

Hodge has the chance to make the job his own, but if he can't get an improvement over the next couple of months, I am sure they will look elsewhere. There will be plenty of other coaches looking for new employment before the season is out no doubt!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Given Townsed was given the Glasgow job on the basis of his fantastic record as Scotland's backs coach it's not that far fetched to imagine that Hodge might get it on a permanent basis, either that or maybe Scott Johnson will come in and announce himself as "The interim one".

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:13 pm

You know, there are a lot of people in the west of Scotland (and a few in Essex) who even now have got the prayer mats out and are praying that Rab C Johnson gets the Luvvies' gig.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Or perhaps we all need to accept that a new approach is necessary:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Uncle_10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:52 pm

If Stevie Scott can get the forwards rumbling like we know they can, hopefully Hodge can get the backs strutting their stuff.  Fingers Crossed

I just don't know how the Edinburgh pack forgot how to dominate like they did [sometimes] last season. That was the only positive to take from last year (and imagine if they'd had an actual fly-half to direct that mostly aimless attack...).

This season, they have 2 top-notch fly-halves yet the pack seem to have withered. Headscratch
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Jobsworth McSoapdodger wrote:
Langilangi signs two-year Warriors deal
28/09/16 Posted in Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors are delighted to announce the signing of 27-year-old USA international Langilangi Haupeakui, subject to visa and medical.Langilangi Haupeakui has signed a two-year deal with Glasgow

The 6ft 1’ backrower has put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal at Scotstoun, joining from PRO Rugby side Sacramento Express.

He is expected to arrive in Glasgow within the next few days.

Starting his sporting career playing college football in San Mateo, California, Langilangi first took up rugby for the East Palo Alto Razorbacks where he was a teammate of former Warrior Folau Niua.

Impressive performances earned him a PRO Rugby contract and his first cap for the USA Eagles against Russia in June.

Speaking exclusively to glasgowwarriors.org, Langilangi spoke of his excitement at joining Glasgow.

He said: “There was interest from other clubs, but joining Glasgow Warriors was an easy decision.

"I've heard a lot of positive things about the club and the city from Greg Peterson and I'm looking forward to getting over to Scotland to start training with the squad.

“I’ve watched a few GUINNESS PRO12 matches and I’m excited about the physicality and speed of the game.

“There are some great players who play in the backrow at Glasgow, so I’m going to have to work very hard to earn my place, but it’s a challenge I’m looking forward to.”

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend added: “We’ve been working on getting Langilangi here for some time and we were aware that there was a lot of interest in him from other clubs. So we’re delighted that he’s joined us and we're looking forward to integrating him into our squad as soon as possible.

“He is a strong ball carrier and hits very hard in the tackle. There will be a lot for him to work on and learn about how we play, but he will bring a high level of physicality to our forward pack, as well as increasing our strength in depth in the backrow.”
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:23 pm

We have fond memories of Solomons at Ulster. But his success in professional rugby came in its early years. Nowadays he is a pretty average coach and was trying to turn around a below average performing Edinburgh side. The chances of him pulling it off were always slim. The problem Solomons has is that his CV isn't good enough to get a top coaching role and Edinburgh aren't big enough to get a big name coach. They were made for each other in that sense, but its difficult to see were a mediocre coach and a mediocre side are going to go and at 66 its difficult to see where Solomons goes from here.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:25 pm

What's Heyneke Meyer up to? Swap one Safa for another?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Interestingly on the Glasgow forum, some posters are suggesting that a buyer is interested in the Warriors and this is why the prospect is now being rushed towards the general meeting. In many ways that makes sense, or why would they be trying to rush it along.

No suggestions as to who the investor might be though. Dobson has hinted at this before, so maybe there is something in it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Genuine question, how would an investor make any money given the pro teams make a loss of several million which is covered by the other SRU income streams?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:03 pm

Without knowing exactly what the proposed model is, it is hard to answer that.

I very much doubt if it would be ownership devoid of any subsidy though. The RFU still support their premiership teams, the recognition being that they still need to produce international players and need to be paid for that. That kind of agreement would have to be built in to any Scottish club deal, as it is even more important to us to develop SQ players.

There are all kinds of models around for professional sports teams, from supporter shareholders to the sugar daddy approach. It would be interesting to know just exactly what Glasgow are turning over now, on their own without SRU subsidy just to see what the kind of investment required might actually be.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Tom English summing things up well, justifiably levelling criticism st the SRU
BBC Sport wrote:
Alan Solomons was a lawyer by trade and adept at arguing his point in the face of consistent failure. He became a bit of an excuse-making machine, borne out of frustration at his inability to move Edinburgh forward. He ran the gamut of excuses - from a lack of conditioning among his players, to difficulties integrating so many foreign players, to injuries, to the weather, to officials making bad calls.

The case for the defence had grown tired long before his departure.

True, Edinburgh made a European Challenge Cup final on his watch but given the budget he had and the vast number of players recruited, mostly from the southern hemisphere, it was a desperately poor return.

Everybody waited for progress, but there wasn't any. Solomons was hugely committed to his job - and vastly experienced - but his team played dull, one-dimensional stuff. It was one forward-dominated grunt-athon after another. Little ambition, little joy.

They never made the top seven of the Pro12, never mind the top four. The SRU renewed his contract midway through last season when Edinburgh were sitting fifth in the Pro12. There was no need to do it. Edinburgh ended up finishing ninth.

He should have gone at that point but his employers allowed him to carry on. That was inexplicable. The SRU deserve a lot of criticism for that.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Also, should we read something into the fact that this was announced only an hour after the SRU stated that they were looking for outside investment, given that it was a story more newsworthy and therefore deflected all attention from the earlier announcement?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Also, should we read something into the fact that this was announced only an hour after the SRU stated that they were looking for outside investment, given that it was a story more newsworthy and therefore deflected all attention from the earlier announcement?

Depends if you think he walked or he was pushed.

I think he was probably worth a few more games before he should have been pushed and he seems to be an honourable guy. Perhaps he just woke up this morning and finally realised it was not happening for him and was not going to. If that was the case then good for him, doing one decent thing for the club before he goes.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:02 am

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Also, should we read something into the fact that this was announced only an hour after the SRU stated that they were looking for outside investment, given that it was a story more newsworthy and therefore deflected all attention from the earlier announcement?

Depends if you think he walked or he was pushed.

I think he was probably worth a few more games before he should have been pushed and he seems to be an honourable guy. Perhaps he just woke up this morning and finally realised it was not happening for him and was not going to. If that was the case then good for him, doing one decent thing for the club before he goes.

Steve Scott on twitter last night said that 'officially' he walked, but he would be surprised if he actually did. I realise this means nothing, but thought I'd share.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:02 am

EWT Spoons wrote:With regards to Hodge and our stuttering (totally f'ing useless) backline, either Solomons didn't let them play anything other than forward orientated gameplan, or Hodge is just as inept.  I'm really hoping it's the former and now the players will play eyecatching, expansive, winning rugby.

I think its option 3 - the players aren't good enough / are lacking in confidence. We played the last two seasons without a 10. No one in the side could catch a cold let alone a rugby ball. Need a new coach tho - someone who knows life outside of scottish rugby.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:12 am

Well then, I leave for a few days and this happens.

I am very glad Solomons has gone, he was taking Edinburgh nowhere quickly. I think a lot of the blame can be laid at the door of the SRU (as per), as Tom English mentioned, they had no need to give Solomons another year when they did.

I am pretty underwhelmed by the Hodge appointment, as I was when he was a player. I am willing to let him see what he can do, but my gut feeling is that he is not cut from the same cloth as Toonie.

The SRU have some good coaches on the books just now: Jason O'Halloran, John Dalziel, Mike Blair (although he is very raw), Kenny Murray, Nathan Hindes (I think) etc. I think the new coaching team needs to be a complete break with the past, and that there is enough talent and creativity there to make a pretty decent coaching set up.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:15 am

George Carlin wrote:Or perhaps we all need to accept that a new approach is necessary:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 8 Uncle_10

Surely he's busy leading the Labour Party?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 am

George Carlin wrote:
McBumfertie wrote:"He achieved some notable successes including leading the first Scottish team to a European Final of the Challenge Cup in 2015 and back to back 1872 Scottish Cup victories over Glasgow Warriors.

A list really should have at least three things on it, though.

It does. That's two 1872 Cup victories.....just in case you'd forgotten....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:18 am

Lancaster would be ideal. It's just what the Edinburgh team needs, a series of Powerpoint presentations on what it means to be a rugby player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:21 am

BigGee wrote:Without knowing exactly what the proposed model is, it is hard to answer that.

I very much doubt if it would be ownership devoid of any subsidy though. The RFU still support their premiership teams, the recognition being that they still need to produce international players and need to be paid for that. That kind of agreement would have to be built in to any Scottish club deal, as it is even more important to us to develop SQ players.

There are all kinds of models around for professional sports teams, from supporter shareholders to the sugar daddy approach. It would be interesting to know just exactly what Glasgow are turning over now, on their own without SRU subsidy just to see what the kind of investment required might actually be.

I think the bigger question is how much "control" is the "owner" going to actually have. The SRU have already made it clear that there will be strings attached, including a requirement to pump in more money at a future date and a guarantee that the club will develop young Scottish players.

It leads me to ask what exactly the new "owner" will be buying, other than the opportunity to sit in the posh seats at Scotstoun next to Al Kellock, and had over lots of cash for the privilege.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:22 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Lancaster would be ideal. It's just what the Edinburgh team needs, a series of Powerpoint presentations on what it means to be a rugby player.

Composed entirely of motivational and managerial buzzwords. #carrythemhome

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:32 am

On the yank signing, he looks pretty rubbish. Yes, big and aggressive - but so is everybody these days. He reminds me of Amanaki Mafi, but without the rugby playing ability.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:36 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
BigGee wrote:Without knowing exactly what the proposed model is, it is hard to answer that.

I think the bigger question is how much "control" is the "owner" going to actually have. The SRU have already made it clear that there will be strings attached, including a requirement to pump in more money at a future date and a guarantee that the club will develop young Scottish players.

It leads me to ask what exactly the new "owner" will be buying, other than the opportunity to sit in the posh seats at Scotstoun next to Al Kellock, and had over lots of cash for the privilege.

You would imagine that no self respecting business person would hand over theirs or their company's cash without feeling that they had the degree of 'control' that they would wish for. If there is such a person who will give us a truck full of cash with no striings attached, then please bring them on.

The more I think about this though, the more you feel that there must be more to it. Why is it being rushed through in an emergency meeting otherwise. It all got a bit overshadowed yesterday when the news about Solly broke, again, which backs up the theory that he went of his own accord. If it had been planned then there is no way all this news would have come out within the hour. When things settle down a bit, we will likely here more about this.

There

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:38 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

This is a key factor.  Any investor is going to be constrained by the existing framework.  Both teams are operating at a loss, their stadiums are owned by external partners, Scotstoun is at capacity so limited opportunity to increase, Myserside is going to be roughly the same size as Scotstoun and we're not in a position to fill that yet, even once Edinburgh get enough fans to fill it, the clubs will still be loss making.  There is minimal scope for getting a return on any investment through folk through the door, without increasing ticket prices, which are already among the most expensive in the league.

I'm not sure how long the BT deal operates for, but sponsorship is limited at the moment because of it, so there is no real scope currently to improve that, and even when that deal expires, will that be within the remit of the clubs to sort themselves?  if so who would want to sponsor one of Edinburgh or Glasgow?  There isn't much exposure via tv/media nor are there huge numbers coming through the gates.  If for example Glasgow is bought/invested in then the new owners/shareholders could increase their media exposure, but they are still constrained by the existing tv deal for the league, so there is only so much they can do there.

There are no transfer fees etc (generally) in rugby, so again no return on investment that way.

I could be missing some huge opportunity here, but from the outside looking in, there seems to be little reason for anyone to invest other than to make themselves feel important, or they have a load of cash and are looking for some kind of plaything (watered down version of Ambrovich at Chelsea)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:39 am

EST wrote:On the yank signing, he looks pretty rubbish.  Yes, big and aggressive - but so is everybody these days.  He reminds me of Amanaki Mafi, but without the rugby playing ability.

An unknown quantity to be fair. Toonie clearly fancies a punt on him, or why give him 2 years. He has been right before, so lets give him the benefit.

He will need some time to get fit enough and to get up to speed though, so I don't see him being the immediate answer to our back row problems.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

This is a key factor.  Any investor is going to be constrained by the existing framework.  Both teams are operating at a loss, their stadiums are owned by external partners, Scotstoun is at capacity so limited opportunity to increase, Myserside is going to be roughly the same size as Scotstoun and we're not in a position to fill that yet, even once Edinburgh get enough fans to fill it, the clubs will still be loss making.  There is minimal scope for getting a return on any investment through folk through the door, without increasing ticket prices, which are already among the most expensive in the league.

I'm not sure how long the BT deal operates for, but sponsorship is limited at the moment because of it, so there is no real scope currently to improve that, and even when that deal expires, will that be within the remit of the clubs to sort themselves?  if so who would want to sponsor one of Edinburgh or Glasgow?  There isn't much exposure via tv/media nor are there huge numbers coming through the gates.  If for example Glasgow is bought/invested in then the new owners/shareholders could increase their media exposure, but they are still constrained by the existing tv deal for the league, so there is only so much they can do there.

There are no transfer fees etc (generally) in rugby, so again no return on investment that way.

I could be missing some huge opportunity here, but from the outside looking in, there seems to be little reason for anyone to invest other than to make themselves feel important, or they have a load of cash and are looking for some kind of plaything (watered down version of Ambrovich at Chelsea)

This.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am

BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

You would imagine that no self respecting business person would hand over theirs or their company's cash without feeling that they had the degree of 'control' that they would wish for. If there is such a person who will give us a truck full of cash with no striings attached, then please bring them on.

The more I think about this though, the more you feel that there must be more to it. Why is it being rushed through in an emergency meeting otherwise. It all got a bit overshadowed yesterday when the news about Solly broke, again, which backs up the theory that he went of his own accord. If it had been planned then there is no way all this news would have come out within the hour. When things settle down a bit, we will likely here more about this.

There

This is the only explanation I can think of. Either they are just testing the waters and trying to look proactive or there is something we're not being told, because as I said above, on the surface there is seemingly little to attract investors.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:42 am

BigGee wrote:
EST wrote:On the yank signing, he looks pretty rubbish.  Yes, big and aggressive - but so is everybody these days.  He reminds me of Amanaki Mafi, but without the rugby playing ability.

An unknown quantity to be fair. Toonie clearly fancies a punt on him, or why give him 2 years. He has been right before, so lets give him the benefit.

He will need some time to get fit enough and to get up to speed though, so I don't see him being the immediate answer to our back row problems.

There are several comments (mostly from him & toonie to be fair) saying there was a lot of interest from other clubs. I agree that he doesn't look up to much, but I'm hopeful that they have seen something in him, other than he's a bit big (only 6.1 though) and apparently has a bit of pace.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:47 am

Why would you have an emergency general meeting to test the water? Get everybody worked up about it, then nothing happens.

I would go with the, we are not being told the whole story approach. You can understand as well that any potential investors would like to remain incognito until they know if it is even going to be possible to invest.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next