The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Team Naming Thread

+31
Glas a du
TheGreyGhost
funnyExiledScot
HURLEY_BURLEY
Feckless Rogue
Gibson
Sin é
DaDubs1
Artful_Dodger
greybeard
Notch
red_stag
KiaRose
valjester
Boyne
geoff998rugby
formerly known as Sam
Jenifer McLadyboy
MMC
ballroomhero
Thomond
rodders
dubh_linn
clivemcl
thebandwagonsociety
pete (buachaill on eirne)
RuggerRadge2611
WillyGilly
Effervescing Elephant
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
MBTGOG
35 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Irish Team Naming Thread - Page 4 Empty Irish Team Naming Thread

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:59 am

First topic message reminder :

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/ Leinster)
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
13 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/ Leinster)
12 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/ Ulster)
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/ Leinster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/ Munster)
1 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
2 - Sean Cronin (Leinster)
3 - Tony Buckley (Sale)
4 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain
6 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/ Connacht)*
7 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/ Munster)
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/ Munster)
17 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
18 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
19 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/ Munster)
20 - Kevin McLaughlin (St Mary's College/ Leinster)
21 - Isaac Boss (Terenure College/ Leinster)
22 - Felix Jones (Shannon/ Munster)*

Last edited by MBTGOG on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Irish Team Naming Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Irish Team Naming Thread

Post by greybeard Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

Gibson wrote:Hmmm. Mclaughlin in at 6. Leamy stays at 8. Has to be one of Ronan or McCarthy off/at 7. Depending who is still standing up, after the Scots feast on them. I dunno, not ONE of them are 7's. In fact, we only have one in the Country and it's NOT Wally. But that's for another game...

But Johnny O'Connor isn't in the squad Whistle

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

greybeard wrote:
valjester wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Notch wrote:
DaDubs1 wrote:I didnt even know this McCarthy chap was in the squad!

Kidney rates him very highly. I'd say he's got a real shot at making the cut.

If he does will we be complaining as loudly as when Strauss finally gets his cap?

They are not comparable situations.

Why not? He's English. Wasn't he a project player?

He has irish parents, and more importantly, he always wanted to play for Ireland unlike strauss who only wants to play for in Ireland after he realised he would never make the springboks.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
Gibson wrote:Im happy enough with it. Hayes & Horan - there for injury backup - so need to be tried. Front-row.. its time for Buckley, Cronin and Court to show up. Time is now. Cullen & Ryan. Strong 2nd-row. Starting Backrow .. ermm.. it will get mullered.. but I'll go with it in the circumstances. It will change in the 2nd half. Im betting a lot will change in the 2nd-half with some players shifting positions in the backline. Backs... grand. Could be exciting, if they get any service from the pack. Must use them all now Deccie - otherwise - its a waste picking them.

Believe. (We can give them a close game and learn something new about a few of our fringe players. Good OR bad.)

How positive. What's up with you?

I'm a very positive person... well.. Ok, Kidney left a lot of this late in the day. Should have been doing it last November. Trying out a new centre-pairing, for one. But, what can I do or say that will change it now? Its too late for the RWC. We are stuck with what we have now. I DID say it 2 years ago... No moaning - as long as Jennings gets a full game vs France or England - with SOB & Heaslip. And Mcfadden makes the plane. THEN watch me and us go... Wink
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

What think people about McFadden at 13? I think he has a real chance of nailing a starting berth if he can continue last year's form. (Not at 13 of course as Drico WILL be fit). angel
Slightly odd pack, but will be interesting to see how they look on Saturday.

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

A few bits and bobs I'd like to comment on:

1) I'd expect Jones for Kearney will happen although giving Sexton a break does seem like a smart idea too. Both moves are understandable.
2) Boss can indeed cover the wings and to a lesser extent 12.
3) Front row could be worse it isn't as bad as its being made out to be, replacement front row I am a tad more worried about
4) Second row looks very tasty
5) Back row was expected (Ronan aside) would have thought McLaughlin would have started but not the end of the world.
6) Bench is very interesting. Nice to see DK willing to go for a 5-2 if he wants it that bad. Wouldn't have had MOD in there considering McCarthy, Ryan and McL can all give lock a shot.

We wanted experimentation and we got it. Ok!

this is good guys, we may not win but we will learn a lot about our team and it will prepare us for the RWC. It will harden some players who need to be hardened.

We get to see:

Cronin up against a very serious lineout.

Kearney back at 15, and if he is fit, ready for match intensity and is more suited to the modern, quick ball, fast paced game.
McFadden in the centre.

A Sexton Wallace partnership.

TOL back at 9, and if he is fit, ready for match intensity and is more suited to the modern, quick ball, fast paced game.

We get to see jones at some point.

We are giving so many of our frontliners the rest and/or pre season they need.

Lots of positives guys
Well done DK

clap

(maybe leave Ronan aside next time though)

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Could have put Henry in at 7, would have felt better about that and neither our in the 43 man squad anyways

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

valjester wrote:He has irish parents

Fair enough, didn't know that.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

Gibson wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:
Gibson wrote:Im happy enough with it. Hayes & Horan - there for injury backup - so need to be tried. Front-row.. its time for Buckley, Cronin and Court to show up. Time is now. Cullen & Ryan. Strong 2nd-row. Starting Backrow .. ermm.. it will get mullered.. but I'll go with it in the circumstances. It will change in the 2nd half. Im betting a lot will change in the 2nd-half with some players shifting positions in the backline. Backs... grand. Could be exciting, if they get any service from the pack. Must use them all now Deccie - otherwise - its a waste picking them.

Believe. (We can give them a close game and learn something new about a few of our fringe players. Good OR bad.)

I'm a very positive person... well.. Ok, Kidney left a lot of this late in the day. Should have been doing it last November. Trying out a new centre-pairing, for one. But, what can I do or say that will change it now? Its too late for the RWC. We are stuck with what we have now. I DID say it 2 years ago... No moaning - as long as Jennings gets a full game vs France or England - with SOB & Heaslip. And Mcfadden makes the plane. THEN watch me and us go... Wink

Oh, Jennings can only play well when Heaslip and O'Brien are there as well? Wink

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

Seems like a sensible side considering you have 4 further matches to play after this. Giving Buckley and Court a start makes a lot of sense, and the Munster trio will I'm sure all make an appearance in the second half, particularly Flannery who could use some time.

2nd choice lock pairing needed time together, as do what I assume is the second choice centre pairing being given the chance to play with Sexton and form a midfield combination (Trimble gives them a target off the wing to create space for as well). Obviously Kearney needs a chance to rediscover form as well, so a pretty obvious pick.

Very much a reserve side with a couple of potential combinations given a chance. Still, looking at the Scotland side, I'd be disappointed if we didn't beat you.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Seems like a sensible side considering you have 4 further matches to play after this. Giving Buckley and Court a start makes a lot of sense, and the Munster trio will I'm sure all make an appearance in the second half, particularly Flannery who could use some time.

2nd choice lock pairing needed time together, as do what I assume is the second choice centre pairing being given the chance to play with Sexton and form a midfield combination (Trimble gives them a target off the wing to create space for as well). Obviously Kearney needs a chance to rediscover form as well, so a pretty obvious pick.

Good summary
Murray not playing is a loss, would have liked for him to have got a game and this was his best chance IMO. Crying or Very sad

Sexton-Wallace-McFadden I think could be a very good midfield i worry about how much ball they are going to get however.
Come to think of it our front five isn't that bad and neither our our backs it's just backrow is very weak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
Gibson wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:

Oh, Jennings can only play well when Heaslip and O'Brien are there as well? Wink

Jennings can play well with anyone by his sides.He does his own job and is the best in the NH at it. Bar none. But when he plays with those 2 - we win HC Finals. He makes them better players. I still contend that is the backrow we must play vs Oz. Or we will lose. That's where we will lose it. Someone down & durty, needs to sort Pocock out, to give us an edge. IMHO.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

Jennings could be apprentice to Ross Rennie's master - watch and learn this weekend!!! Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

I'm just scouting on behalf of Munster. If Rennie is good enough we'll let him join us. Smile
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Jennings could be apprentice to Ross Rennie's master - watch and learn this weekend!!! Braveheart

Agreed. I hope Rennie intends to charge the Irish for the imminent masterclass!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:39 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Could have put Henry in at 7, would have felt better about that and neither our in the 43 man squad anyways

Henry is nearly even worse as a 7 than ronan. He is alright as a 6 or 8, but he is horribly under powered for international rugby and unfortunately faloon is probably the same. Such a huge shame that pollock had to retire, he had so much potential and, imo, would probably be at least as good as sob at this stage except he was an actual proper 7.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

red_stag wrote:I'm just scouting on behalf of Munster. If Rennie is good enough we'll let him join us. Smile

Beleive me he is good enough. It's only a matter of time though before a player of his caliber will leave the Burgh for pastures new. I'd be happier if it was somewhere like Munster rather than the Aviva Prem.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

What did they call it, in the end?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Buckley, Hayes and Horan as three of our props, I think its sickening.

I would far rather have the likes of Hagan, McAllister and Wilkinson than these 3 .....

Also were the hell has Niall Ronan come from....McCarthy....????

Some very odd decisions here, pleasantly surprised with the second row but other than that....

Sorry- meant to quote this one.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

But when he plays with those 2 - we win HC Finals.

🤦 I know you're old but it's the World Cup we're playing in Wink

Oh and I genuinely don't know how he would stop Pocock. Is Jennings better at cleaning out rucks than every other Irish forward?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:What did they call it, in the end?
Ireland - no originality Crying or Very sad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

Well Ronan is fairly underpowered too, hasn't been getting as many games as Henry either as far as I am aware. Could be wrong on that though.

He doesn't even bench for Munster really does he?

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

What happens if Wallace and McFadden both play blinders? Do we back Paddy who will play at 12, or do we back McFadden for 12 even though hes not playing 12 on saturday.

My issue with the utility back stuff is that if they play really well, we will call for their inclusion even if they havn't actually put in the performance in the most likely position they will be picked in.

We are surely limited in testing McFaddens ability as our starting 12 by watching him play 13.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:47 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Well Ronan is fairly underpowered too, hasn't been getting as many games as Henry either as far as I am aware. Could be wrong on that though.

He doesn't even bench for Munster really does he?

Well Ronan is a natural openside and that's probably why he's ahead. I'm being positive about him and think that we will get to see him play some of his exciting open brand of openside rugby.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:47 pm

valjester wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Could have put Henry in at 7, would have felt better about that and neither our in the 43 man squad anyways

Henry is nearly even worse as a 7 than ronan. He is alright as a 6 or 8, but he is horribly under powered for international rugby and unfortunately faloon is probably the same. Such a huge shame that pollock had to retire, he had so much potential and, imo, would probably be at least as good as sob at this stage except he was an actual proper 7.

Yeah a massive shame. You'd think that if it wasn't for those injury problems, he'd very likely be on the plane to New Zealand.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:47 pm

valjester wrote:

Hmm Henry is not a 7. He's not quick enough. Unfortunately he's not big enough to play 8 or 6. That said I was really impressed with him towards the end of last season for Ulster.

I disagree with regards Faloon though. I think he is a superb openside, really clever and strong with great hands and an excellent workrate. I think if he bulks up a bit he can be a top class player. Maybe in another season he'll be ready to push for International honours but I agree he's a bit too lightweight right now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

clivemcl wrote:What happens if Wallace and McFadden both play blinders? Do we back Paddy who will play at 12, or do we back McFadden for 12 even though hes not playing 12 on saturday.

My issue with the utility back stuff is that if they play really well, we will call for their inclusion even if they havn't actually put in the performance in the most likely position they will be picked in.

We are surely limited in testing McFaddens ability as our starting 12 by watching him play 13.

We back wallace. Wallace has played well at 12 in the hec this year and he has played well against australia at 12 on a number of occasions. Its a no brainer imo.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:50 pm

Fingers crossed MBT.

I am actually quite happy with this selection in terms of keeping people fit and yet testing certain others I think the balance is great.

Like someone said above it looks as if McF will have some game time at 12.

Jones on for Kearney
Boss on for Sexton, Wallace to 10, McF to 12, either Boss or Fitzgerald to 13.

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

roddersm wrote:
valjester wrote:

Hmm Henry is not a 7. He's not quick enough. Unfortunately he's not big enough to play 8 or 6. That said I was really impressed with him towards the end of last season for Ulster.

I disagree with regards Faloon though. I think he is a superb openside, really clever and strong with great hands and an excellent workrate. I think if he bulks up a bit he can be a top class player. Maybe in another season he'll be ready to push for International honours but I agree he's a bit too lightweight right now.

Henry is quick enough but hands are good enough to be a linking 7 and he isn't good enough on the ground either. I love faloon as a player but realistically he is a bit small and I'm not sure he will make it as an international. He has done well to step up for ulster in the absence/aftermath of pollock and I wish he had started more last season. He might be able to make up the size difference because he tackles like a tank, but I think its a big ask.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

valjester wrote:
We back wallace. Wallace has played well at 12 in the hec this year and he has played well against australia at 12 on a number of occasions. Its a no brainer imo.

I think if McFadden plays a blinder though he could find his way onto the plane. Their will be question marks around D'arcy even if he does recover. I think if McFadden plays well it could be a two way fight between Trimble and Fitzgerald for the final spot on the backline.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:A few bits and bobs I'd like to comment on:

1) I'd expect Jones for Kearney will happen although giving Sexton a break does seem like a smart idea too. Both moves are understandable.
2) Boss can indeed cover the wings and to a lesser extent 12.
3) Front row could be worse it isn't as bad as its being made out to be, replacement front row I am a tad more worried about
4) Second row looks very tasty
5) Back row was expected (Ronan aside) would have thought McLaughlin would have started but not the end of the world.
6) Bench is very interesting. Nice to see DK willing to go for a 5-2 if he wants it that bad. Wouldn't have had MOD in there considering McCarthy, Ryan and McL can all give lock a shot.

We wanted experimentation and we got it. Ok!

this is good guys, we may not win but we will learn a lot about our team and it will prepare us for the RWC. It will harden some players who need to be hardened.

We get to see:

Cronin up against a very serious lineout.

Kearney back at 15, and if he is fit, ready for match intensity and is more suited to the modern, quick ball, fast paced game.
McFadden in the centre.

A Sexton Wallace partnership.

TOL back at 9, and if he is fit, ready for match intensity and is more suited to the modern, quick ball, fast paced game.

We get to see jones at some point.

We are giving so many of our frontliners the rest and/or pre season they need.

Lots of positives guys
Well done DK

clap

(maybe leave Ronan aside next time though)

Good summary Pete. I'd add on TOL that the experience is needed at scrum half with the backrow we have chosen to play with. Picking Murray would have been unfair on the kid because our pack might not get parity and he has never played with Sexton outside him so all that happening in a debut international would we really be able to assess how well he performs if the pack was going backwards and he was continuously checking a reversing pack against Sexton to see where he was. I think Murray should get a chance, but with Heaslip at 8 and ROG at 10 for that game (whichever game it might be).

But its the first warm up game. My primary hope is that the injured returning get a good run with no re-occurance of the injuries and a couple of the fringe players put their hands up for squad positions.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Fingers crossed MBT.

I am actually quite happy with this selection in terms of keeping people fit and yet testing certain others I think the balance is great.

Jones on for Kearney

Is it not more likely to be wallace to 10, fitz to 12, kearney to wing and jones to 15?

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:56 pm

valjester wrote: I love faloon as a player but realistically he is a bit small and I'm not sure he will make it as an international. He has done well to step up for ulster in the absence/aftermath of pollock and I wish he had started more last season. He might be able to make up the size difference because he tackles like a tank, but I think its a big ask.

I agree but he is only young so I wouldn't right him off. Lack of physicality can be addressed, especially in a young player but you can't the natural teach instinct, aggression and footballing ability that Faloon has. I'll be keen to see how he goes next season after a good preseason because he looked a bit burned out towards the end of last year. I think he can be a top player but we'll see.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:57 pm

roddersm wrote:
valjester wrote:

I think if McFadden plays a blinder though he could find his way onto the plane. Their will be question marks around D'arcy even if he does recover. I think if McFadden plays well it could be a two way fight between Trimble and Fitzgerald for the final spot on the backline.

Possibly but it all depends on Kidney and we know he likes fitz but he also rates trimble so that would mean mcfadden has to play extremely well. Having looked back at the six nations games and last year's summer tour in the last few weeks, I want darcy starting less than I already did. The amount of times he destroyed attacking moves by taking the wrong option, running into contact or most annoying of all running back the direction the ball came from in a large arc making no ground at all and blowing the 2 man overlap that was available in the other direction is amazing.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

valjester wrote:

Jones on for Kearney

Is it not more likely to be wallace to 10, fitz to 12, kearney to wing and jones to 15?

You are almost right, but mcfadden to 12 and fitz at 13 with jones coming on for sexton like you say.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

no don't think so. I can't see Kearney playing a full 80 anyway considering this is his first game in 10 months or something like that.

it starts this

TOL-Sexton
Wallace-McF
Fitz-kearney-Trimble

I imagine it ends like this

TOL-Wallace
McFadden-Fitz/Boss
Fitz/Boss-Jones-Trimble

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

roddersm wrote:
valjester wrote: I love faloon as a player but realistically he is a bit small and I'm not sure he will make it as an international. He has done well to step up for ulster in the absence/aftermath of pollock and I wish he had started more last season. He might be able to make up the size difference because he tackles like a tank, but I think its a big ask.

I agree but he is only young so I wouldn't right him off. Lack of physicality can be addressed, especially in a young player but you can't the natural teach instinct, aggression and footballing ability that Faloon has. I'll be keen to see how he goes next season after a good preseason because he looked a bit burned out towards the end of last year. I think he can be a top player but we'll see.

Yeah I know, I'm probably overly harsh on him because he isn't pollock which is harsh on any player. God this is making me depressed, I truly believe that we would be taking about pollock v pocock this world cup if it weren't for the f****g injuries.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

valjester wrote: I truly believe that we would be taking about pollock v pocock this world cup if it weren't for the f****g injuries.

What an exaggeration.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:no don't think so. I can't see Kearney playing a full 80 anyway considering this is his first game in 10 months or something like that.

it starts this

TOL-Sexton
Wallace-McF
Fitz-kearney-Trimble

TOL-Wallace
McFadden-Fitz/Boss
Fitz/Boss-Jones-Trimble

I remember ulster throwing Boss at FB a few times out of necessity, but surely for Ireland it isn't necessary. Has he played back 3 for Leinster? I'm fairly certain he has never been used here for Ireland, and I'd be very surprised if it were an option Kidney was interested in looking at.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

red_stag wrote:
valjester wrote: I truly believe that we would be taking about pollock v pocock this world cup if it weren't for the f****g injuries.

What an exaggeration.

Why?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

valjester wrote:

Yeah I know, I'm probably overly harsh on him because he isn't pollock which is harsh on any player.

Might I also add that there were concerns about the size and physicality of a certain young chap from blackrock when he was 21. I think over the next couple of seasons we should see if Faloon can compete with the big boys but for me another stone of muscle and a bit more experience is all he needs.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

Overall not a bad team choice,these guys need game time anyway, Ronan is a scary though but besides that it's not too bad. You could always move Leamy to centre in the second half or move TOL around the backline.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

As while I accept he could have travelled I don't think he was gonna be challenging McCaw and Pocock just yet.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:09 pm

clivemcl wrote:
valjester wrote:

Jones on for Kearney

You are almost right, but mcfadden to 12 and fitz at 13 with jones coming on for sexton like you say.

My 2c

Kearney off Jones to FB

Sexton off Boss to sh.

Every one move up in the bed and Tol to the wing.

i.e. Paddy gets a run at 10.
Ferg gets a run at 12
Fitz gets a run at 13
And Tol shows us what a good winger he is.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

red_stag wrote:As while I accept he could have travelled I don't think he was gonna be challenging McCaw and Pocock just yet.

Why not some people feel that sob is going to be able to do that and imo pollock was at least as good as sob.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

clivemcl wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:no don't think so. I can't see Kearney playing a full 80 anyway considering this is his first game in 10 months or something like that.

it starts this

TOL-Sexton
Wallace-McF
Fitz-kearney-Trimble

TOL-Wallace
McFadden-Fitz/Boss
Fitz/Boss-Jones-Trimble

I remember ulster throwing Boss at FB a few times out of necessity, but surely for Ireland it isn't necessary. Has he played back 3 for Leinster? I'm fairly certain he has never been used here for Ireland, and I'd be very surprised if it were an option Kidney was interested in looking at.

He's played at 12 adn 13 for Leinster and I think on the wing too.

Eh...I can see him wanting TOL to play 80, but he needs scrumhalf cover in case.
He would like to see Wallace at 10 in this (the easiest game of the 4) and more importantly would like Sexton not to be pushed too close to 70 mins as he had a lot of hard games to play in at the end of the season. Reckon Sexton won't play the following week.

Leamy centre???????????? Have I missed something here!?!?

I agree with jens thoughts and her awesome wording!!! OK

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

roddersm wrote:
valjester wrote:

Yeah I know, I'm probably overly harsh on him because he isn't pollock which is harsh on any player.

Might I also add that there were concerns about the size and physicality of a certain young chap from blackrock when he was 21. I think over the next couple of seasons we should see if Faloon can compete with the big boys but for me another stone of muscle and a bit more experience is all he needs.

Yeah but there is a difference between backs and forwards. Time will tell, I'm not writing him off. I'm just not overly confident of him making it.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
But when he plays with those 2 - we win HC Finals.

Irish Team Naming Thread - Page 4 1505004552 I know you're old but it's the World Cup we're playing in Wink

Oh and I genuinely don't know how he would stop Pocock. Is Jennings better at cleaning out rucks than every other Irish forward?

High-level HC games are the closest thing we have to Tests. They are the best backrow UNIT in the NH. He did it to the best of the French, English and their International players.He would meet and greet them again with relish. He's the best player to secure the ball at the breakdown and win us vital posession. The key to beating the Aussies. SOB and Heaslip are fairly handy at cleaning out rucks also. Its the balance he brings to the table that helps makes them what they are for Leinster. He gives them the freedom to bust loose and do that voodoo... they do... so well. FACT. zen

But, Kidney's blindspot may cost us. Unless...

Anyway off-topic... for now. Scotland to try and deal with 1st. It wont be pretty...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

SOB isn't that great at cleaning rucks,Ferris is far better,for the gmae we play I think Wallace is a better option.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

Irish Team Naming Thread

"shall we call the 2nd the Wolfhounds?"

"No! Thats a shoite name!"
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

He's the best player to secure the ball at the breakdown and win us vital posession.

This is what I disagree with. He might be able to steal ball or slow it down but when it comes to securing possession, he isn't any better than anyone else.

Anyway off-topic... for now. Scotland to try and deal with 1st. It wont be pretty...

You might be surprised from an Irish point of view.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next