The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Ins and outs

+28
NickisBHAFC
Aidan11
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
chrisss
hampo17
Shelsey93
HERSH
Gregers
skyeman
jbd349
Demon Racer
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mike Selig
LondonTiger
ShankyCricket
hodge
Bathite
jimbohammers
LOVERBOY
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
ChrisfromStroud
JDizzle
Carrotdude
Mat
Fists of Fury
MuchHappierSurreyFan
liverbnz
32 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

County Ins and outs - Page 9 Empty County Ins and outs

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:40 am

First topic message reminder :

I have created this thread, in case of transfers between the different counties..If you hear of a deal being made, we can write it here, and see how activity there is between now and the start of the season Smile

Back to top Go down

County Ins and outs - Page 9 Empty Re: County Ins and outs

Post by jimbohammers Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:48 pm

We have no reason to replace Bates though, he is a brilliant keeper, just needs to work on his batting.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:49 pm

Wheater hands down is better keeper....

I personally think that Bates will move....I think Wheater will take the gloves and probably bat 5.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

He is not going anywhere, signed a 2 year deal in November:
http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/news/12150/8217003/Hampshire-wicketkeeper-Michael-Bates-signs-new-two-year-deal-with-county

Like i said if Bates was to get injured we have no other wicketkeeper, probably why we have signed Wheater as back up.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 8:12 pm

trust me he wont be back up.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 01 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm

How is Wheater better than Bates? #HeadsGone

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:24 pm

well we have a lovely keeper situation as well, Kieswetter or Buttler Laugh No doubt England will want Buttler to keep regularly however from what I have seen Buttler is a far superior fielder to Kieswetter. Another county Vs country issue I fear here....

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

I'd expect both Wheater and Bates to play quite often - Hants aren't overwhelmed with batsmen and Bates has done enough (in terms of exceptional 'keeping and improvement with the bat) to at least start the season.

Wheater may well have moved because of the better chance of 'keeping, though I suspect the fact that getting in the Essex side has proved a bit difficult and the presence of Foakes (now an England Lion but yet to really feature for Essex) also played a part: with Foster not done yet one had to move on.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm

Hes no Chris Read Whistle
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:23 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:How is Wheater better than Bates? #HeadsGone

kiss

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

Wheater is a pretty good keeper, I'm gutted he left Essex.

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

A real blow for Essex losing Wheater purely as a batsmen let alone a keeper. With Foster already there and Foakes also in the production line it may well be a good thing from a player development point of view. Gutting for the Essex's fans on the board though I'd expect!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

Whenever I look up the Essex scorecards on BBC, there's usually been a top of the order collapse followed by a combo of Tendo, Wheater and Foster bringing us back into it. I think Wheater was 3 years or so too early for us, if he was 20yo now he'd be a prime candidate to take over from Foster at some point Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 07 Mar 2013, 1:25 pm

Agreed there Azzy. A few years later and he could've been a prime candidate to take over from Foster - with Foakes coming through on that timeline you haven't got too much to complain about on a replacement though! Everything I've seen and heard of him has been positive and he looks like a huge prospect. I just hope England nurture him well now by not overdoing it with Lions call-ups during the season until he's really banging the door down for Essex.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Mar 2013, 5:24 pm

im so glad that's there's finally another Essex fan on here!!

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:34 pm

CF wrote:im so glad that's there's finally another Essex fan on here!!

Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:03 am

Must admit I'm very excited about the prospects of Laurie Evans at Warwicksire. This should be his breakthrough year, and a stable, experienced middle order should allow him to prosper.

In terms of Warwickshire signings, I'm likewise excited by the arrival of youngster Sam Hain. He could be a fantastic player, if reports are accurate. Oliver Hannon-Dalby and Freddie Coleman also have promise - they're certainly in the right place to develop to their maximum potential.

I think Warwickshire have been pretty shrewd in retaining Jeetan Patel, who had a fine season last year, and adding promising youngsters to a very experienced and talented squad. It should provide the perfect environment for their development.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:24 am

One of the great things about cricket is that every season there are new names getting into the county game, rising stars that are breaking through. There are very few sports that can say the same.

I can't see past Warwick and Surrey dominating everything this year, two excellent teams imo. If only Essex had won the Olympic stadium, I might actually have been able to get to watch some games this year Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

They do look very strong, agreed, but you never know with early season conditions in England. If your batting isn't at the top of its game then you could quickly find yourself having played 3 lost 3 and your season takes on a whole new outlook.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:18 pm

That's if we actually get any cricket played before May...it's going to be a long, cold, snowy, floody winter. I'd be amazed if Worcester get any cricket early on anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:53 pm

Ha I know, ridiculous isn't it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

Worcester was my old stomping ground, I probably went to 50-60 4-day games during my teens. A beautiful ground, it's a real shame what's happened there over the last few years.

Best game I ever went to was a Warwick vs Worcester game at Edgbaston, Worcester posted a competitive total, Lara comes out and smashes the ball around, fell for 80-90 ish, Warwick needed about 4 off the last over, and David Leatherdale came in and bowled a maiden. What a game.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Must admit I'm very excited about the prospects of Laurie Evans at Warwicksire. This should be his breakthrough year, and a stable, experienced middle order should allow him to prosper.
Hi Fists,

There have been a few comments recently along similar lines about Laurie Evans on the Surrey thread. Find this a bit puzzling.

He was with us as a junior from the age of 12 and stayed for a decade progressing through the academy and second eleven sides. He consistently made good scores in that time and a very promising future appeared to beckon. However, like others before and since, Evans was hardly given any opportunity at first team level. Stories circulated that Evans was too strong minded and/or cocky for Chris Adams' liking and he was eventually released late in the 2010 season when he joined Warks (initially on a trial basis, I believe).

Whilst I'm sure Evans is still a reasonably good player (if not better than that), I'm struggling to immediately see why you and others think things will really open up for him this season. Other than some t20 matches, I don't think he's had that much of a look in at first eleven level to date for Warks. Unless someone has moved on that I'm not aware of, how and why is that going to change? Won't it again be hard for him to claim a place in the starting line?

That said, I hope my doubts are ill founded. Evans is now 25 and this is a very important season for him, likely to be breakthrough or swansong in my view. I would like him to do it for himself - there's certainly talent there, I saw him score a very decent 60 odd for Surrey seconds at Guildford - and to also prove Adams (who has too many favourites) wrong.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 5:34 pm

I know im an essex fan, however i hope Tremlett has a good season for you boys! Would be good to see him back in a england shirt, however i cant see it happening Sad Hopefully he takes bagfuls of wickets for you guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

CF - I'll be delighted to be proved wrong but I'll be surprised if Tremlett wears an England shirt again. Certainly not this season.

Surrey are very conscious of his injury record and will be managing him carefully. Even at best, I doubt he'll play more than two out of every three CC games. We have a lot of decent seamers (plus Lewis) in reserve so there's no massive desperation to get him on the pitch for every game.

Whilst I think that approach is sensible, I don't believe it'll be good enough to convince the England selectors that they can rely on Tremlett for a five day Test.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

At the moment my concern with our CC bowling line-up lies in Dernbach. For the last couple of seasons I've felt that his performances in FC matches haven't really warranted selection against the other options and I'm not overly optimistic that will change this season given that he's been concentrating on one day stuff with England (often unsuccessfully) throughout the winter!

At the moment I'd like to see

8.Batty
9.Meaker
10.Linley
11.Tremlett/Dernbach/Lewis

With De Bruyn offering a fourth seamer. To be perfectly honest with Tremlett's continued injuries, Lewis' age and Derbach's performances last season that last place doesn't fill me with confidence! I'm very hopeful Matt Dunn can kick on if given opportunities this season though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

King - I've replied on the Surrey thread which I thought was more its natural home. My fault and apologies for taking this thread a bit off topic.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 27 Mar 2013, 10:40 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Must admit I'm very excited about the prospects of Laurie Evans at Warwicksire. This should be his breakthrough year, and a stable, experienced middle order should allow him to prosper.
Hi Fists,

There have been a few comments recently along similar lines about Laurie Evans on the Surrey thread. Find this a bit puzzling.

Guildford I agree - it's really quite puzzling. I am half wondering whether he has got a better than average PR agent who has managed to get everyone talking about him.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:35 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Hi Fists,

He was with us as a junior from the age of 12 and stayed for a decade progressing through the academy and second eleven sides. He consistently made good scores in that time and a very promising future appeared to beckon. However, like others before and since, Evans was hardly given any opportunity at first team level. Stories circulated that Evans was too strong minded and/or cocky for Chris Adams' liking and he was eventually released late in the 2010 season when he joined Warks (initially on a trial basis, I believe).

Whilst I'm sure Evans is still a reasonably good player (if not better than that), I'm struggling to immediately see why you and others think things will really open up for him this season. Other than some t20 matches, I don't think he's had that much of a look in at first eleven level to date for Warks. Unless someone has moved on that I'm not aware of, how and why is that going to change? Won't it again be hard for him to claim a place in the starting line?

That said, I hope my doubts are ill founded. Evans is now 25 and this is a very important season for him, likely to be breakthrough or swansong in my view. I would like him to do it for himself - there's certainly talent there, I saw him score a very decent 60 odd for Surrey seconds at Guildford - and to also prove Adams (who has too many favourites) wrong.

Hi Guildford

He's is all set to bat at number four for Warks this year. Darren Maddy will be the likely man to make way, leaving a top order of Chopra, Westwood, Porterfield, Evans, Troughton, Ambrose and Clarke.

He's highly rated by the Warks hierarchy and the supporters, so it is certainly more than a successful PR exercise. He was indeed quite cocky when he joined from Surrey, but I don't see much wrong with that. After all, one of England's greatest ever batsmen is a cocky sod (or at least was during his earlier days) and he hasn't done too badly, has he? Sometimes it just rubs people up the wrong way, but I think the management team around Evans at Warks is perfect to get the best out of him and keep him grounded.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:21 am

Thanks, Fists.

That's a heck of a strong batting line up at county level. Apart from Porterfield and Ireland, you also have the bonus of being unlikely to lose batsmen to international call ups. In addition, I think Woakes is a decent bat who could get even better with the willow.

The one in your line up who has really surprised me is Chopra. I saw him at Guildford about three or four years ago playing for Essex and thought he was no more than ordinary at best. He's really kicked on the last two seasons.

I haven't looked at any stats but my immediate thought is to agree that Maddy would be the one most likely to make way for Evans. It just seems odd that Evans has had to wait until now if he's that highly rated at Edgbaston.

Whilst Surrey supporters generally don't like cocky sods (despite frequent media reports that we're full of them), there was a fair bit of unease and sympathy for Evans when he moved on or, more correctly, was moved out. Many supporters recognised his talent and were disappointed that he had been denied the opportunities given to others. The perception was that Evans didn't gel with Adams and, rather than Adams seeking to remedy the relationship, that was that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 28 Mar 2013, 12:31 pm

Evans himself stated that Adams, for some reason, just didn't like him when he was first interviewed after joining Warwickshire, pretty much. As to why he hasn't played, I guess he was bedding in, improving his game and maturing. Perhaps they now feel he has matured sufficiently and is ready to make that step. I trust their judgement.

I agree on Woakes, he really is an excellent bat - it's astounding to think he will be batting at 8 after averaging mid 40's for consecutive seasons. It gives Warks incredible depth and can make them a real trouble to bowl out. Keith Barker, another highly capable bat, comes in at 9.

In fact, last season I believe only Chris Wright at 11 failed to score a FC century. Even he knows how to hold a bat, too.

Chopra has come on leaps and bounds, you're right. He seems to have added a real discipline to his batting, and now looks a proper opening batsman. One would think he is surely on England's radar, despite no obvious opening slot at this moment in time.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:41 pm

I hope Evans does well - and Maddy is nearly 39. Rikki Clarke must be one of the strongest no 7 batsmen in the country.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:43 pm

John Hastings wont fulfill his commitment to sussex for the t20 due to an ankle problem

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 28 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

Rikki Clarke IMO should be near the England squad, top all rounder IMO

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:25 pm

Yeah, if England do opt to move Prior to 6 then Clarke and Woakes would appear to be in a straight shootout to bat at 7. Both more than decent bowlers, and terrific batsmen.

Also, best slip fielder in England bar none.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm

Fists OK

Also im not too convinced by Compton at the top of the order. Would like to see:

Cook
Root
Trott
Pieterson
Bell
Prior
Clarke
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:52 am

Having made my own positive comments about Rikki Clarke, I must say that I very much doubt that he will now become an established international. Already past 31, with too many seasons when things didn't work out for him, he's at the stage where he's now delivering at county level and is a prized player for a club like Warks. I expect he is really working hard to make sure that he will be able to look back on a career with satisfaction, which could be the case if Warks continue to win trophies. He's ideally placed to contribute where a county already has strong batting and bowling - he can really help to press home that advantage.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

Corporal - I very much agree that Clarke playing seriously and on song (which he seems to be consistently doing now in contrast to his younger Surrey days) is an extremely valuable county player.

I feel he's at his own right level now - a regular and dependable member of a top county side. For me, he's - particularly his bowling - not quite of the calibre of a Test all rounder although I certainly accept that he's better than several others who have been tried and found wanting over the years.

His worth to the Warks team now reminds me of Trevor Jesty at Hants forty years ago (wouldn't expect many posters other than you and Kwini to follow that! Smile )

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

Guildford - very much agree. A highly valuable player in a top county side. But only twice has he taken 5 wickets in an innings in first class game; (also "only" 14 first class centuries). The bowling record suggests he is unlikely as a fifth bowler to bowl out test sides on a good batting track. And certainly could not be contemplated as the fourth bowler.

I would not tho be in the least surprised to see him have a few more purple patches for Warks over the next three or four seasons especially with bat...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:32 pm

guildford thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 30 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

guildfordbat wrote: His worth to the Warks team now reminds me of Trevor Jesty at Hants forty years ago (wouldn't expect many posters other than you and Kwini to follow that! Smile )
Indeed, and I recall it was a bit of a surprise at the time that Jesty never played a test match. He ended up with 19 five wicket hauls (as compared with Clarke's current two). Jesty was also a medium pacer with a much better economy rate than Clarke, at his rather brisker pace. I think that's one of the things that would count against Rikki. There's a fair chance that at test level he would leak runs too fast, so he couldn't necessarily be used to hold up an end.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Mar 2013, 4:50 pm

Clarke is certainly in england's selectors thoughts however is he international standard? I think not.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:43 pm

As biased as I can be, don't really think Jesty was Test class - a very busy County player when that really meant something, but his batting was never Test class and his bowling was about third change, as efficient as he so often was.
Plus, of course, he was playing in an era when Hampshire cricketers were seldom selected for England, regardless of Championships won.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 02 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

I think Woakes is probably the better option of the two anyway...plus years ahead of him in which to improve and learn. Clarke would be a short-term option, nothing more.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Aug 2013, 8:41 am

Gambhir has joined Essex until the end of the season Very Happy

anybody know if there is any truth in the rumour that Trescothick is set to retire at the end of the season??

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:35 am

CF wrote:Gambhir has joined Essex until the end of the season Very Happy

anybody know if there is any truth in the rumour that Trescothick is set to retire at the end of the season??
I haven't heard a Trescothick rumour.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 5:14 pm

Monty signs for essex!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

on loan until the end of the season

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 19 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm

CF wrote:Monty signs for essex!!!!!!!!! Very Happy:D

on loan until the end of the season
Laugh Laugh  Essex sign a spinner - sounds like the news CF has been waiting for pretty much since this site opened? Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 19 Aug 2013, 6:33 pm

Heard a rumour that he will be replaced as captain next season. Could be that he would chose to retire at the same time.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 6:40 pm

Gambhir and Panesar, maybe our season can be rescued from the doldrums?

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 19 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm

hodge wrote:

Heard a rumour that he will be replaced as captain next season. Could be that he would chose to retire at the same time.
Any idea who will replace him if this is true? Compton would be the obvious one, but he is out of contract at the end of the year too. Kieswetter maybe?

Shame if he does quit, he hasn't been at his best this year but he was my first cricketing hero. Legend.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next