The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Ins and outs

+28
NickisBHAFC
Aidan11
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
chrisss
hampo17
Shelsey93
HERSH
Gregers
skyeman
jbd349
Demon Racer
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mike Selig
LondonTiger
ShankyCricket
hodge
Bathite
jimbohammers
LOVERBOY
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
ChrisfromStroud
JDizzle
Carrotdude
Mat
Fists of Fury
MuchHappierSurreyFan
liverbnz
32 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

County Ins and outs - Page 2 Empty County Ins and outs

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have created this thread, in case of transfers between the different counties..If you hear of a deal being made, we can write it here, and see how activity there is between now and the start of the season Smile

Back to top Go down

County Ins and outs - Page 2 Empty Re: County Ins and outs

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:11 am

Chris Nash has signed a contract extension with sussex

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:56 am

Harinath has been given a one year contract with Surrey - hope he gets a decent opportunity in the first team.

Simon King has been released - which was probably what most Surrey posters expected...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:32 am

do u rate Harinath corporal?

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Nov 2011, 4:24 am

50/50 chance that he could develop into a decent county level opening batsman. The season before last he got quite a few games - sometimes batted for quite long periods without scoring a lot of runs - but eventually his confidence and form drained away and he was rightly rested.

But I think there's a fair chance that with that experience behind him he could do a good job for Surrey.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 14 Nov 2011, 4:32 am

Corporal - I recently learned that the night before his only CC game last season (when he fared badly against Middlesex at Guildford), he had his cricket bats stolen. Couldn't have helped his batting nor his peace of mind in the immediate build up to the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:57 pm

if not give him to essex Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:41 am

CF - I hope Adams considers sending some of our younger players out on loan to Div 2 counties next season so that they get more CC experience. So, you never know, Harinath might just open for your boys ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:43 am

hey we are not open to just giving playeers exprience :p

we are in it to get promoted Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:10 am

ESSEX sign Charl Willoughby on a 2 year deal Very Happy

fantastic signing add some much needed expeirence to our bowling attack Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:18 am

Very good signing for you guys, CF!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:21 am

very happy with that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:41 am

think Somerset are going for youth next season pushing guys like Dibble and Gregory more

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:06 am

Yeah, don't forget we do have guys like Kirby, who had a good season last year, and Gemaal Hussain who although he didn't have a great season last year at least has some potential. Would liked to have kept hold of Willoughby for another season though.

I think it will be very interesting to see who we get in as our overseas for thos year to replace Murali aswell!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:19 am

hopefully a seam bowler as its what we were lacking even with Willoughby, maybe Dale Steyn would like some practice in England before the test series Whistle

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:20 am

Essex have also signed all-rounder Greg smith from Derbyshire.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:23 am

I'd settle for Morkel though. He'd do for us! It does leave us a good spinner light though, especially in the shorter forms. Maybe Dockrell or Waller steps up this year though.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:25 am

think u boys could do with another middle order batsman. if injuries happen again, there isnt a lot of strength in depth with the batting...

also compton isnt great to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:59 am

Phil Jaques has signed as Yorkshires overseas player and Jason Gillespie as their first team coach.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:37 pm

very good signing for yorkshire. Their batting struggled badly, when they didnt have rudolph last year, although sadly his aussie career appears to be over..

he is much better than the ever awful phil hughes.

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

compton is a decent enough batter and offers something different in our middle order,

I imagine it will be Dockrell who steps up as spinner as well, with Suppiah as 2nd spinner

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

i dont think teams fear compton when he comes out to bat

Dockrell IMO is more a limited overs bowler, i think waller should be no1, legspinner fantstic variation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm

hodge wrote:hopefully a seam bowler as its what we were lacking even with Willoughby, maybe Dale Steyn would like some practice in England before the test series Whistle

When we had him down at Warwickshire he was incredible. Absolutely blew away all of the County batting lineups, shame the Saffers then had to go and pick him Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i dont think teams fear compton when he comes out to bat

Dockrell IMO is more a limited overs bowler, i think waller should be no1, legspinner fantstic variation.

thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm

CF and all - I think you could be right about Dockrell being more of a limited overs bowler. However, I still like the look of him. Reminds me a bit of Ansari at Surrey. Doesn't spin the ball massively but a clever, thinking bowler ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:28 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Phil Jaques has signed as Yorkshires overseas player and Jason Gillespie as their first team coach.

Jaques is a great signing. Not sure about Gillespie as coach - but I bet he will prove me wrong. Signing Paul Farbrace as 2nd team coach is a good move.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:39 am

Tiger - I didn't know Paul Farbrace had ended up as the Tykes' 2nd team coach. He had been linked for the same role with Surrey. Ali Brown is now being increasingly mentioned in that regard - his appointment would be very well received by supporters ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:30 am

Dockrell is only young. He is defeinitely a limited overs guy at the moment but with a bit of practice he could become our go to guy in the 4 day stuff aswell. I really like Waller aswell though, he was great in the CLT20 before he went hom and I would like to see him get an extended run this year aswell.

Tres
Suppiah
Compton
Hildreth
Buttler
Kieswetter
Trego
Gregory
Kirby
Waller/Dockrell
Hussain

That looks a decent side. And we aren't a poor county so we should get a decent overseas aswell to compliment it!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:34 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/15740609.stm

For the first time some inside knowledge of mine has proved to be right! Yahoo

Been tipping Taylor to Notts all off season and I am glad to see it looking like it will go through. I think it is exactly what he needs to be honest. Although he had a decent CC season last year and a good List A with Leics, he looked like he was beginning to stagnate with them and problems of the pitch e.g. a club in turmoil, not having a batting coach, had been taking their affects. Good move for him, to Div 1. Here comes England!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:35 am

JD - are Gregory and Hussain good enough for you? I'm asking because I genuinely just don't know rather than implying they're not up to scratch!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:49 am

Damn it, had high hopes that Warks would be signing Taylor.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 17 Nov 2011, 4:59 am

Guildford - Gregory certainly will be. Maybe not next year, but in a few years time he will be a great player. His bowling in the CB40 last year was superb but he wasn't trusted as much in the CC to bowl. He might still be a bit raw next year but he needs game time to improve and get better as he will be a good County player at the very least.

Hussain has the jury out on him. He was poor last year, but I am willing to give him another season to prove himself. This is where I would be looking to get an overseas player anyway, in the bowling department. Probably a pace bowler to play instead of Hussain, as although not proven, we at least have other good spin option Dockrell, Waller etc.

Our first choice batting is strong, but one injury or England call up will change that so we need some reliable cover for that aswell.

Re, Taylor. Warks were the other county rumoured early, but as a neutral and only keen on seeing him improve as a players I think Notts is a better fit for him, can't really put my finger on why! He is good mates with Alex Hales judging by the Twitter banter they have, so that maye played a part in his decision.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:06 am

Middlesex have let Dalrymple go. It seems the guy wants to captain or coach, neither role was on offer at Middlesex.

Other comments on people's comments:
I think Dockrell is potentially a special player, I'd give him a go in the 4-day stuff as well. Never been over convinced by Waller's wicket-taking ability TBH, a bit of a Cam White type bowler for me.

Pleased that Farbie's been given a shot with Yorkshire's 2nd team. Feel it was rather mission impossible for him at Kent.

Great signing for Warks with Taylor.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:20 am

Thanks, JD. Good and helpful comments as ever. I'll be interested to see how Gregory and Hussain get on.

Your side looks good, certainly on the batting front. Difficulty is no one can tell what is waiting round the corner - particularly in November! You could well lose Kieswetter and Buttler to England (ODIs and T20s at least) some of next season. Same applies to Dockrell and Ireland. Suppose one or two others pick up injuries - a calm pond can soon turn into a raging sea ....

Jimmy Taylor is a class act. I hope he flourishes at Notts. Good call!
PS Have a look at Leff's post from early this morning about Larry Gomes on the ''England team in best 5 ever test teams'' thread. Backs up what we've both been saying about the importance of a disciplined player supporting a team of superstars.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:48 am

I am very interested to see who we get as an overseas. I'd expect us to go with a split season like last year, with someone for the first half before going on international duty who is then replaced by someone else. Hopefully they will be smart and get us a seamer for the earlu season green wickets, and then a spinner for June/July when it is turning!

Agree about Jimmy, he is a class player. Hopefully a 1000 run season in Div 1 will be enough to put him at the front of the selectors minds should Mogs slip up or there be an injury.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:49 am

maybe van der merwe will go back JD?

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 17 Nov 2011, 6:20 am

Maybe. That has been rumoured. I am not sure if he has signed for us yet, he might have done and I might have been talking rubbish for my last few posts! In fact I am fairly sure he has now you mention it. He will be a good List A and T20 signing, but not sure he is the player to guide us to CC success.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:51 am

bad news for sainty and lecisetshire

a couple of weeks after signing for Lecister, Martin Van jaarseveld has announced his retirement from f/c cricket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:49 pm

More news from Leicestershire...Tom New has had his contract cancelled for being rubbish.
That leaves them with Ned Eckersley and Paul Dixey as the wicket keepers, neither of whome has ever been a regular starter in any form of county cricket for anyone.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:06 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:More news from Leicestershire...Tom New has had his contract cancelled for being rubbish.

I assume you're quoting from the press release?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:11 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:More news from Leicestershire...Tom New has had his contract cancelled for being rubbish.

I assume you're quoting from the press release?

No the press release just said :
"The club thanks Tom for his services over the past eight years and wishes him well"

The facts say that he didnt get in the limited over sides at all and managed to avergae 17.something with the bat in the CC. By the ned of the season kept out of a bottom of the table side by a second X1 player. I dont think its unfair to surmise form that that his contract was cancelled due to a lack of ability. Perhaps the word "rubbish" is a touch abusive, but sums up the situation. Not up to standard for a County that can barely afford to operate. They need players who can do a job in all 3 formats, not squad fillers who didnt live up to their potential.
Leicestershire have been trying to ease New in as a batsman keeper to replace Nixon over teh last few seaosns, but he hasd never established himself as a genuine first team player and had a particulalry bad seaosn last year. Its no shock they have decided they are better off without him, but does leave them with a huge lack of experience in that area if a smaller wage bill.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Nov 2011, 3:33 am

heard a rumour that Tim Phillips could be moving to surrey Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 25 Nov 2011, 7:57 am

cricketfan90 wrote:heard a rumour that Tim Phillips could be moving to surrey Whistle

CF - talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. Laugh (Something I often do myself!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:heard a rumour that Tim Phillips could be moving to surrey Whistle

CF - talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. Laugh (Something I often do myself!)

the rumours true! he's clearing out his locker at chelmsford Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:18 am

He may be clearing out his locker - but that could just be to give it a clean Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 7:04 am

i have no idea how we are gonna squeeze Greg smith into our line up....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:23 am

sainty wont be happy

james taylor's move to notts has been confirmed today.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 02 Dec 2011, 6:24 am

cricketfan90 wrote:sainty wont be happy

james taylor's move to notts has been confirmed today.

JDizzle will be though! He knew about the move before Little Jimmy .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 6:41 am

Lecister's main focus might have to be the t20....

with taylor gone and van jaarsveld now not playing for them after retiring, i can see them struggling. Taylor was the main man and he has now gone

also for somerset, this could spell the end of compton's time there. Perhaps he could go in the opposite direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:08 am

Meanwhile, one of county cricket's worst kept secrets is out with Surrey's signing of Murali Kartik confirmed today.

Not overly thrilled - he was pretty useful at his peak but I fear his best days are behind him. Hope I'm wrong - guess we'll see soon enough ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:18 am

We aren't brilliant anyway, CF!

Disastrous few weeks for the Foxes!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next