The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

+65
robbo277
gelodge
The Boss
belovedfrosties
GLove39
sirBiggles
caz
Full Credit
Hood83
UlstermaninGlasgow
Luckless Pedestrian
Toohey
BamBam
Gibson
tazfalklands
bedfordwelsh
red_stag
Breadvan
Portnoy's Complaint
The Saint
R!skysports
GunsGerms
bsando
Hound of Harrow
thomh
Taffineastbourne
yappysnap
Standulstermen
BigTrevsbigmac
Feckless Rogue
fa0019
flyhalffactory
LeinsterFan4life
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
Pal Joey
Notch
jimmyinthewell68
bluestonevedder
theslosty
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
lostinwales
munkian
George Carlin
RDW
GavinDragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
pete (buachaill on eirne)
hodge
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
Rugby Fan
Scrumpy
Biltong
reallybored
nathan
sickofwendy
wales606
stevetynant
majesticimperialman
100%beefy
69 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 4 Empty Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by 100%beefy Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gatland states that the first 3 games will see every tourist getting a start on rotation. It means that speculation about test preferences based on selection is put aside for that period and gives Gatland the chance to see who is hungry and look at combinations, mix them up to give him maximum flexibility come test week.

Based on what i saw this weekend some players have squandered opportunities and others have pencilled their names in. POC was immense as was Philipps and Roberts; their Lions pedigree shone. The likes of Farrell have done themselves no favours and his liability at 10 is obvious....for me Hibbard and Lydiate needed a huge game. Maitland will be annoyed with himself but remains my bolter.

For the next game it is imperative Sam starts and if he doesn't then i think questions about his worth to the squad need to be asked. This is the team i want to see on Wednesday

Healy
Youngs
Cole
Evans
AWJ
Croft
Sam
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Manu
BOD
Bowe
Half

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 4 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by theslosty Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm

I agree with Gats' thinking that BOD is not a twelve. BOD's vision, soft hands and offloading game hides from many the fact that he is in fact a dreadful left-hand passer.
He is also far more suited to 13 in defence and wouldn't cause an attacking threat at 12 as he cannot crash-ball as Gatland likes and doesn't have enough pace to get through the defensive line from the 10-12 channel. However at 13 despite a lack of pace he still has the guile and that quick burst to get on the outside and feed his winger.
In general the key to BOD over the last couple of years is keeping him fresh: when he is sharp he is still up there with the very best 13s in the world IMO, he is one of few players who always seems to play his best when coming back from injury (2012 HC QF, SF and F; 2013 6N Wales; Munster in April).
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 4 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
thomh wrote:Brown has only played one game at full back for England since 2008, and since he has never once played wing for Quins that I can remember I don't think it's fair to judge him on his performances there at international level.

Having said that, he's done alright there for England anyway.
Hope England stick with him on the wing against us next year.

Thomh

He's clearly a good player, and an effective club FB, but he's been mismanaged at int level and the wing only highlights his weaknesses. You'd have to agree coming into a lions squad on average form out of position would be a bit of a risk, he hasn't played 3 games at test level at FB in a row

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree his form for England was a bit patchy, but given that he was playing in a position he's never once played at club level I don't think it's fair to criticise him for it. That was the only point I was making there. As a full back he's outstanding, and was one of the best in Europe at club level this season and last.

I would call up Foden ahead of him as things stand, as he has more international experience at full back, and a bit more pace and agility.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:46 am

Over to the Irish guys to take up the mantle tomorrow Wink

With a better coaching strategy, I'm sure we'll see better stuff from them than during an injury ravaged 6N.

BOD alongside Tuilagi could really improve Tuilagi's all round game. Both are game breakers in different ways, but BOD is such a good communicator with the players around him.

BOD made Roberts 'man of the series' on the 2009 tour imo.

Zebo or Foden to replace Kearney if he doesn't recover. An absolute bolter would be Eliot Daly, who (like Madigan) covers several positions and has a 60m penalty range.

But I am a Wasp Smile

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:38 am

1. Salesi Manu (8 SR)
2. James Hilterbrand (1 SR)
3. Salesi Ma’afu (72 SR, 13 Tests)
4. Toby Lynn (61 SR)
5. Phoenix Battye (11 SR)
6. Angus Cottrell (15 SR)
7. Matt Hodgson (c) (95 SR, 6 Tests)
8. Richard Brown (88 SR, 23 Tests)
9. Brett Sheehan (92 SR, 6 Tests)
10. Sam Norton-Knight (66 SR, 2 Tests)
11. Corey Brown (Uncapped)
12. Chris Tuatara-Morrison (Uncapped)
13. Ed Stubbs (6 SR)
14. Dane Haylett-Petty (9 SR)
15. Sam Christie (4 SR)

Reserves
16. Hugh Roach (Uncapped)
17. Sione Kolo (Uncapped)
18. Tim Metcher (Uncapped)
19. Ben Matwijow (Uncapped)
20. Lachlan McCaffrey (8 SR)
21. Alby Mathewson (97 SR, 4 Tests)
22. Nick Haining (Uncapped)
23. Junior Rasolea (10 SR)

SR = Super Rugby caps

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:42 am

Not one of that back line started Force's last two SR matches. Experienced half backs, but rest are very much novices.

I suspect that line-up is a long way from their strongest available.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:12 am

LondonTiger wrote:Not one of that back line started Force's last two SR matches. Experienced half backs, but rest are very much novices.

Ye hardly a team that inspires confidence, I mean even SNK desoite looking experienced was one of the worst and least hearted pro rugby players I have ever seen both in training and in match conditions, the Force mustve really been deserate to go fishing for him, and he's played a lot of rugby this season for them too Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 am

I guess some less experienced players can use this game to prove themselves to their franchise. So there is a hope that they are putting forward a decent team.

I honestly didnt realise Sam Norton Knight was still playing. He was pretty awful at Cardiff Blues, especially as a flyhalf.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 am

LondonTiger wrote:Not one of that back line started Force's last two SR matches. Experienced half backs, but rest are very much novices.

Yes Tiger - nobody could sit with a straight face and tell you that this isn't a 'B' team.

Couple of classy campaigners like Mathewson but mostly kids. Norton Knightmare has been much better this season than he ever was for the Blues but the revolving door defence remains and Manu should charge gleefully down his channel for the entire match. I liked BOD's quote yesterday that his gameplan will just be to follow Tualagi around as holes seem to just open up around him.

I'm really over worrying about whether the Super franchise games will be competitive or not. I mean, we know the score, don't we? If we run up a cricket score, it's because the teams are weakened so it's all worthless. If we get a scare or a Northern Transvaal Mark II happens, then it's asbestos underpants time because it was "only" a club side which beat us. You can hear the Aussie press from here.

I don't care. Just going to enjoy the game and want to see a progression in our tight play and fluency in recycling.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 am

it must be hard for the first choice players of force not be able to play against the lions . gutting i imagine

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 am

Experienced pack but that backline really shouldn't pose many problems.

I'd expect at least the same score as against the Ba Bas - anything less against that team would be a disappointment.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 am

George Carlin wrote:

Yes Tiger - nobody could sit with a straight face and tell you that this isn't a 'B' team.

Couple of classy campaigners like Mathewson but mostly kids. Norton Knightmare has been much better this season than he ever was for the Blues but the revolving door defence remains and Manu should charge gleefully down his channel for the entire match. I liked BOD's quote yesterday that his gameplan will just be to follow Tualagi around as holes seem to just open up around him.

I'm really over worrying about whether the Super franchise games will be competitive or not. I mean, we know the score, don't we? If we run up a cricket score, it's because the teams are weakened so it's all worthless. If we get a scare or a Northern Transvaal Mark II happens, then it's asbestos underpants time because it was "only" a club side which beat us. You can hear the Aussie press from here.

I don't care. Just going to enjoy the game and want to see a progression in our tight play and fluency in recycling.

The other issue though is that our focus will shift when coming up against weakened teams like this, after Deans comments the other day the lions should expect a fair few cheap shots, and they will want to come through unscathed.

The Barbs managed 30 minutes of competitive rugby which impressed me, then Rocko showed individual brilliance both in attack and defence, if the Force manage anything like the barbarians did first half I'll be pretty happy, although it won't be test level rugby it'll be enough for our players to stay sharp.

I remember the Aus comentators a few weeks ago talking about how the Force stood a chance at game 1, that they would be sending out their best team to catch the lions cold, and that the last mauling the Force got in Oz would never happen due to the pro nature of super rugby...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:55 am

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:it must be hard for the first choice players of force not be able to play against the lions . gutting i imagine

Especially when you take into account the only player ordered to rest is Cummins, the places still available in the Aus squad for a last second bolter, and the fact theyre being rested for the Tah's game on Sunday, a fixture they play a couple times a year.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:05 am

Straight from the horse's mouth (Western Australia Today):

Force rests big names for Lions clash
June 4, 2013 - 3:50PM

The Western Force have rested a host of big names for Wednesday night's rugby clash with the British and Irish Lions in Perth.

With the Force also taking on the Waratahs on Sunday, the likes of five-eighth Sias Ebersohn, fullback Jayden Hayward, prop Pek Cowan, in-form centre Kyle Godwin, hooker Heath Tessmann, lock Sam Wykes and winger Pat Dellit won't feature against the Lions.

In addition, Nick Cummins and Ben McCalman couldn't be considered for selection due to their Wallabies commitments, while lock Hugh McMeniman isn't ready to return from injury.

In their place are a host of uncapped players, including winger Corey Brown, centre Chris Tuatara-Morrison and bench players, Hugh Roach, Sione Kolo, Tim Metcher, Ben Matwijow and Nick Haining.

The Force will unleash a strong back-row featuring Angus Cottrell, Matt Hodgson and Richard Brown, while their halves pairing of Brett Sheehan and Sam Norton-Knight also have the potential to cause some damage.

But the majority of their backline consists of fringe players, with the Lions sure to capitalise on their inexperienced opponents.

Force coach Michael Foley said the tight nature of the fixturing meant he simply couldn't play his strongest side against the Lions.

The Force outfit still contains six Test players, with Brown, Hodgson, Alby Mathewson, Norton-Knight, Sheehan and Salesi Ma'afu all boasting experience at international level.

Force: Sam Christie, Dane Haylett-Petty, Ed Stubbs, Chris Tuatara-Morrison, Corey Brown, Sam Norton-Knight, Brett Sheehan, Richard Brown, Matt Hodgson (capt), Angus Cottrell, Phoenix Battye, Toby Lynn, Salesi Ma'afu, James Hilterbrand, Salesi Manu. Res: Hugh Roach, Sione Kolo, Tim Metcher, Ben Matwijow, Lachlan McCaffrey, Alby Mathewson, Nick Haining, Junior Rasolea.

- AAP
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 am

I, and many Force fans on facebook, are extremely annoyed with this team selection. It is a joke. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, the SXV season is all but over for the Force, yet they're obviously prioritising their game over the Tahs more than selecting their strongest side to face the Lions. SAying that, I'll still be behind the team and look forward to seeing how some of them get on against likes of BOD and Tuilagi.

But here is a selection of quotes from Force fans on social networking...

"That team is a joke. What's the point of resting players for the Waratahs game? So the Force can try and finish 12th instead of 13th?! This is a once in a career opportunity. The last time the Lions were in Perth they scored 100+ points. This time a full strength Force team minus Wallabies would give them a really good run and give the people of Perth something to cheer about, but instead it will be 40-50 points easily. Those with tickets should ask for their money back." (6 Likes)

"Once in every 12 years and we don't put out our strongest team ! The Tahds game is a dead rubber" (4 Likes)

"If you think the game v Waratahs is more important than this re : team selection, then you don't understand rugby. Without slighting the players selected this is an insult to the Lions. ARU orders?" (8 Likes)

"Good luck to all the boys picked but I think the supporters are being seriously jipped with the backline, are we trying to play BOD and tuilagi into form? Would have been a great opportunity to test Godwin against those guys." (5 Likes)

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 am

Bsando - can you shed some light on any of these players??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:47 am

Well the backrow are definitely going to be competitive. I really rate Hodgson, I would have had him in my Wallabies squad. The Force are a team who usually boss up front with the pack and especially at the breakdown, I think the Lions pack will get a run for their money.

But some of the players in that backline are really inexperienced. North will run straight over Corey Brown if such an opportunity arises. Chris Tuatara-Morrison may well face up against Lions though. I think he's got a bit of weight on him and he was ex league player but swapped back to union. Those are the two uncapped players. As for Ed Stubbs, I can see why he is there, he's a bit lighter and probably likes to offload more. Think he has good hands as he was a sevens player for a while. But this centre partnership is much less appealing than the usual one. Godwin and Jacobs are much more experienced players, where as Stubbs and CTM have both recently gone back union in last two years. They might be able to handle it, but I think that BOD and Tuilagi will be too much for them to handle.

Dane Haylett-Petty hasn't played much, although he was with Bairitz a few years and has been playing union his whole career. But these are two wingers who are not regulars for the Force.

Fullback - Well, Christie has played a handful of games this season. 2nd choice fullback, Sam Norton Knight has been covering FB mostly this season.

I'm interested to see how these guys get on against such huge opposition, but this is going to be bloodbath. Saying that, I think the Lions scrum will get a better test and the Lions backrow will need to be sharp.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:51 am

Its a bit s****y for the fans, because their team has been struggling a bit this season and i think they'll have been really looking forward to seeing the usual team run out (missing Honeybadger etc) and give the Lions a stern test. That is now extremely unlikely, and it is going to be a pretty one sided affair.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:57 am

I hope Gatland hasn't told Manu to be at the breakdowns. It's one thing that annoys the hell out of me when he plays for the Tigers. I do belive he has the skills to be world class but he isn't going to show it if he's always stuck at rucks.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 am

nathan wrote:I hope Gatland hasn't told Manu to be at the breakdowns. It's one thing that annoys the hell out of me when he plays for the Tigers. I do belive he has the skills to be world class but he isn't going to show it if he's always stuck at rucks.

I have no issue if he is first man there and protects the ball. Far too often though he is stood in the guard position. One of the forwards once arrived should shove him out of the way and back to his position in the backs. Annoys me too when we win quick ball only to find he was stood guarding the side of the ruck.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 am

LondonTiger wrote:
nathan wrote:I hope Gatland hasn't told Manu to be at the breakdowns. It's one thing that annoys the hell out of me when he plays for the Tigers. I do belive he has the skills to be world class but he isn't going to show it if he's always stuck at rucks.

I have no issue if he is first man there and protects the ball. Far too often though he is stood in the guard position. One of the forwards once arrived should shove him out of the way and back to his position in the backs. Annoys me too when we win quick ball only to find he was stood guarding the side of the ruck.

+1000

I know he always wants to be involved but he is a real threat with a bit of space and the ball- and is just another body if hes involved in a ruck

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:14 am

LondonTiger wrote:

OK

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 am

My team would be:

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Cole
4 POC
5 Grey
6 SOB
7 Tipuric/Warb
8 Healsip/Faletau
9 Philips
10 Sexton
11 North
12 roberts
13 Drico
14 Bowe
15 1/2P

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:23 am

GunsGerms wrote:My team would be:

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Cole
4 POC
5 Grey
6 SOB
7 Tipuric/Warb
8 Healsip/Faletau
9 Philips
10 Sexton
11 North
12 roberts
13 Drico
14 Bowe
15 1/2P

for the first test? I think it's way to early to predict what the first team will look like.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:31 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Experienced pack but that backline really shouldn't pose many problems.

I'd expect at least the same score as against the Ba Bas - anything less against that team would be a disappointment.

That side put out by the force is an absolute joke, no respect to the Lions tour or opponents, Sam Norton Knight was poor 15 years ago. This makes the attitude of the recent Baa Baas players seem totally professional and you cannae compare the quality of the Baa Baas 23 v Western Force. How can we evaluate and compare players performance

If we don't put 80 points against them I will be disappointed.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 am

10. Sam Norton-Knight

That's a 50pt advantage to the Lions straight away

Rolling Eyes

The worst flyhalf I have ever seen play the game against a triple heineken cup winner.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 am

nathan wrote:

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Cole
4 POC
5 Grey
6 SOB
7 Tipuric/Warb
8 Healsip/Faletau
9 Philips
10 Sexton
11 North
12 roberts
13 Drico
14 Bowe
15 1/2P

for the first test? I think it's way to early to predict what the first team will look like.

True but if I had to pick it now thats what it would be.

Top performers from game one for me were Roberts, POC, Davies and Philips. Philips needs to improve on passing though.

Tipuric, Hibbard, Falateu and Cuthbert were all good too.

Worst players were:

Lydiate, Maitland, Hogg, Vunipola and Farrell.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 am

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Cole
4 POC
5 Grey
6 SOB
7 Tipuric/Warb
8 Healsip/Faletau
9 Philips
10 Sexton
11 North
12 roberts
13 Drico
14 Bowe
15 1/2P

Only 7 Irishmen. Nice to see someone not being partisan for once...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:45 am

GunsGerms wrote:
nathan wrote:

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Cole
4 POC
5 Grey
6 SOB
7 Tipuric/Warb
8 Healsip/Faletau
9 Philips
10 Sexton
11 North
12 roberts
13 Drico
14 Bowe
15 1/2P

True but if I had to pick it now thats what it would be.

Top performers from game one for me were Roberts, POC, Davies and Philips. Philips needs to improve on passing though.

Tipuric, Hibbard, Falateu and Cuthbert were all good too.

Worst players were:

Lydiate, Maitland, Hogg, Vunipola and Farrell.
Can't agree at all with Vunipola being one of the 'worst'. He had a decent game.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am

lostinwales wrote:

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Cole
4 POC
5 Grey
6 SOB
7 Tipuric/Warb
8 Healsip/Faletau
9 Philips
10 Sexton
11 North
12 roberts
13 Drico
14 Bowe
15 1/2P

Only 7 Irishmen. Nice to see someone not being partisan for once...
It's actually 8 if Heaslip is in over Faletau Shocked

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Sure there was 9 starting Welshmen v the BaBas.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:08 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Sure there was 9 starting Welshmen v the BaBas.

That was not a test match though.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm

That Force team is an insult, clearly called by Deans
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm

That was largely because of player availability and aren't you talking about the team for the first test?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 pm

THe chances of there being more Irishmen than Welshmen starting is approximately 0.5%
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:11 pm

so given only Lynn and Hodgson are 1st choice players (in the worst SR side in AUS) what do people expect the score to be?

If the Lions don't beat this lot by more than 50 I'd be surprised. I'm expecting more myself.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 pm

fa0019 wrote:so given only Lynn and Hodgson are 1st choice players (in the worst SR side in AUS) what do people expect the score to be?

If the Lions don't beat this lot by more than 50 I'd be surprised. I'm expecting more myself.

I went for Lions by 45 on Superbru earlier. Before I'd seen the Force side Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:14 pm

I guess there's nothing to force these sides to play strong squads but this really could result in the Lions being undercooked at test time.

Pretty canny if that's the plan.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm

not canny given its what happened in every tour since 1997.. the last tour where the club matches were full strength was in 1993... when the lions lost 4 dirt-tracker matches.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:18 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
That was largely because of player availability and aren't you talking about the team for the first test?

Yes. What would your team be?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:18 pm

It really doesn’t sit well with me this. Very much against the spirit of rugby I think! The players and paying fans want the best available players to play against the Lions – it is a farce this is not the case.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I guess there's nothing to force these sides to play strong squads but this really could result in the Lions being undercooked at test time.

Australia dont have any warm up games so cant really use this as an excuse.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 pm

people should just accept it I'm afraid... we said the same thing 4 years ago... it won't change the policy.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
GG - Surely to feic it's too early to be naming test teams when half of the squad hasn't even made it on to the pitch yet?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I guess there's nothing to force these sides to play strong squads but this really could result in the Lions being undercooked at test time.

These AUS players have been playing with each other for a few years though.. their side is pretty settled and its not like the players aren't playing with each other each week in the domestic leagues... given that 3 sides dominate selection.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:24 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

Obviously

Vunipola
Youngs
Cole
Parling
Evans
Croft
Warburton
Heaslip/Faletau
Youngs
Farrell
North
Davies
Tuilagi
Cuthbert
Maitland

Whistle

ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

No idea yet. I'm not keen on making my mind up based on one game in appalling conditions against a poor Barbarians side. Especially considering we've not seen all the players yet.

Call me tentative, but I think I'll leave it a while yet.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

They don't need an excuse. The Wallabies and franchises can do what they like really. It's up to the Lions to put some kind of agreement in place for future tours but I can't see that happening and it would be really difficult to police.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

No idea yet. I'm not keen on making my mind up based on one game in appalling conditions against a poor Barbarians side. Especially considering we've not seen all the players yet.

Call me tentative, but I think I'll leave it a while yet.

Yes well bear in mind Im just basing it on what I have seen of each player of late. Plenty of rugby to be played and no doubt some injuries.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

They don't need an excuse. The Wallabies and franchises can do what they like really. It's up to the Lions to put some kind of agreement in place for future tours but I can't see that happening and it would be really difficult to police.

Cyril.. I agree.

Its why I think the Lions should prepare with games at home before going to AUS with 1 or 2 matches vs. AUS "A" and some select side. Perhaps a few matches vs. Italy, France, Argentina etc or some major club sides.

Lions tours are an amateur model in a professional game... it doesn't fit anymore.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next