The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

+65
robbo277
gelodge
The Boss
belovedfrosties
GLove39
sirBiggles
caz
Full Credit
Hood83
UlstermaninGlasgow
Luckless Pedestrian
Toohey
BamBam
Gibson
tazfalklands
bedfordwelsh
red_stag
Breadvan
Portnoy's Complaint
The Saint
R!skysports
GunsGerms
bsando
Hound of Harrow
thomh
Taffineastbourne
yappysnap
Standulstermen
BigTrevsbigmac
Feckless Rogue
fa0019
flyhalffactory
LeinsterFan4life
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
Pal Joey
Notch
jimmyinthewell68
bluestonevedder
theslosty
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
lostinwales
munkian
George Carlin
RDW
GavinDragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
pete (buachaill on eirne)
hodge
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
Rugby Fan
Scrumpy
Biltong
reallybored
nathan
sickofwendy
wales606
stevetynant
majesticimperialman
100%beefy
69 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 7 Empty Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by 100%beefy Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gatland states that the first 3 games will see every tourist getting a start on rotation. It means that speculation about test preferences based on selection is put aside for that period and gives Gatland the chance to see who is hungry and look at combinations, mix them up to give him maximum flexibility come test week.

Based on what i saw this weekend some players have squandered opportunities and others have pencilled their names in. POC was immense as was Philipps and Roberts; their Lions pedigree shone. The likes of Farrell have done themselves no favours and his liability at 10 is obvious....for me Hibbard and Lydiate needed a huge game. Maitland will be annoyed with himself but remains my bolter.

For the next game it is imperative Sam starts and if he doesn't then i think questions about his worth to the squad need to be asked. This is the team i want to see on Wednesday

Healy
Youngs
Cole
Evans
AWJ
Croft
Sam
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Manu
BOD
Bowe
Half

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 7 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by nathan Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:15 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Toohey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Toohey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Gibson wrote:Sexton will kick. Won't let anyone else near the ball while he's on the field. He's in the 90% range - just to dispel the online myths. Missed a few on Sat... but phookit. Weird weather conditions. And he opened the Baa Baas up like a hot knife through butter.

Think people should give young Farrell a break too. Its a high learning-curve for the lad. He will be getting lots of solid advice from those experienced heads around him. This will make him an even better player post Tour.

Its what the Lions are all about.

The lions is about trying to win a tour, not about teaching Farrell how to be a better player. He should be the best already.

I hope he starts to play well, a few people have said that his confidence has been rattled by poor performances in his last four or five big games.

Out of interest maestegmafia, if Farrell has a poor performance at some point that costs the lions a test will you blame the player for accepting a call up or Gatland for choosing him?
I am sure every player is trying their very best, whether their best is good enough is to be seen, so far I think we can all say Farrell wasn't at his best. The coaches and players will be hoping he can give a better showing.

Regarding selection, should he not improve or have a better game than showed last week, then yes it does fall on the coaches for calling him up to the squad. Certainly the ones who recommended he could do the job.

He has masses to prove after his recent form.

Pathetic. Get this in your head, the final selection (especially for such a pivotal position) was Gatlands and his alone. I think he is comfortable with that, why can't you handle it?

Wow you are a complete prat aren't you...

Mesa, attack the post not the poster...

nathan

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 7 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:16 am

Lovely to see a show-and-go from Sexton for the try.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:17 am

Sexton setting up his stall, good start for him
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:17 am

Yes, looking quite a good start

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Why is 1/2p kicking?

Jenkins wants all 3 options kicking at goals ASAP

Sexton just scored a try so as not to be left out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Toohey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Toohey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Gibson wrote:Sexton will kick. Won't let anyone else near the ball while he's on the field. He's in the 90% range - just to dispel the online myths. Missed a few on Sat... but phookit. Weird weather conditions. And he opened the Baa Baas up like a hot knife through butter.

Think people should give young Farrell a break too. Its a high learning-curve for the lad. He will be getting lots of solid advice from those experienced heads around him. This will make him an even better player post Tour.

Its what the Lions are all about.

The lions is about trying to win a tour, not about teaching Farrell how to be a better player. He should be the best already.

I hope he starts to play well, a few people have said that his confidence has been rattled by poor performances in his last four or five big games.

Out of interest maestegmafia, if Farrell has a poor performance at some point that costs the lions a test will you blame the player for accepting a call up or Gatland for choosing him?
I am sure every player is trying their very best, whether their best is good enough is to be seen, so far I think we can all say Farrell wasn't at his best. The coaches and players will be hoping he can give a better showing.

Regarding selection, should he not improve or have a better game than showed last week, then yes it does fall on the coaches for calling him up to the squad. Certainly the ones who recommended he could do the job.

He has masses to prove after his recent form.

Pathetic. Get this in your head, the final selection (especially for such a pivotal position) was Gatlands and his alone. I think he is comfortable with that, why can't you handle it?

Wow you are a complete prat aren't you...

Maesteg, I think we all now know how you feel about Farrell, no need to insult posters because they don't agree with you. What Toohey suggests is that Gatland makes the ultimate decision and your dislike of Farrell clouds your ability to accept any other explanation than your own.

I suggest you let it go now.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am

Excellent kick to touch, Force have barely had the ball
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 am

After Sexton and Farrell's misses on the weekend, I thought that would be obvious.

Come the Tests, the Lions cant afford to miss kicks, as it could be down to a 3 point game...

Loads of posters have been on Halfpennies back, but face it. He's the best option and the 15 shirt is his. He's great defence, attacking, and can kick from anywhere. He is also the 1st choice kicker. Anyone else wants his shirt they are going to play out of thier skin for it.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 am

Wow, Heaslip dumped by Norton night!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:23 am

Bowe looks so sharp!

Not hugely impressed with the forward carrying so far, which is disappointing considering this is a strong carrying pack
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 am

Bowe, Cuthbert and Halfpenny have to be a shoe in for the first test
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:26 am

Agree with that Wales606, big runners are yet to get into the game, Bowe has been exceptional and Sexton has looked good as well. Feel that Tuilagi and BOD will come into it more as the game progresses. Also can't wait to see how ben Youngs does when he comes on.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 am

Murray went the wrong way there. Scrum not as dominant as expected, Adam Jones look like the favourite so far
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:30 am

BBC website - Brian Moore refers to the opposition as the 'farce'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am

sirBiggles wrote:

After Sexton and Farrell's misses on the weekend, I thought that would be obvious.

Come the Tests, the Lions cant afford to miss kicks, as it could be down to a 3 point game...

Loads of posters have been on Halfpennies back, but face it. He's the best option and the 15 shirt is his. He's great defence, attacking, and can kick from anywhere. He is also the 1st choice kicker. Anyone else wants his shirt they are going to play out of thier skin for it.

Sexton's kicks werent particularly easy. If his kicking was poor then surely he should be given time to correct it. Otherwise unless 1/2 plays all three tests we will be in trouble.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am

Murray struggling a bit here

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am

wales606 wrote:Bowe looks so sharp!

Not hugely impressed with the forward carrying so far, which is disappointing considering this is a strong carrying pack

Bowe is a really classy player.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am

Poor discipline, the Lions should be aiming for a 0 on the scoresheet - Shaun Edwards will be crying at home if the Force score
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:35 am

Big black mark against this scrum
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am

Anyone else notice there's next to no gap at scrum time?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 am

Lineouts are awful

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 am

Some black marks by Best's name - 2 poor throws
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 am

GunsGerms wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

Sexton's kicks werent particularly easy. If his kicking was poor then surely he should be given time to correct it. Otherwise unless 1/2 plays all three tests we will be in trouble.

Wasnt suggesting Sexton wasnt a good kicker. What I am saying though is just because he is wearing 10 doesnt make him first choice kicker, and if Halfpenny is playing Halfpenny will be first choice to take the penalties.

As for Halfpenny playing all 3 tests, if he stays injury free, yes he will... as I believe Sexton will and he will be an able backup to Halfpenny for the penalty taking.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 am

Far too many penalties
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 am

sirBiggles wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

Wasnt suggesting Sexton wasnt a good kicker. What I am saying though is just because he is wearing 10 doesnt make him first choice kicker, and if Halfpenny is playing Halfpenny will be first choice to take the penalties.

As for Halfpenny playing all 3 tests, if he stays injury free, yes he will... as I believe Sexton will and he will be an able backup to Halfpenny for the penalty taking.

Nothing is a dead cert yet.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am

Best unfortunately carrying on his awful throwing form. Generally the pack looks lacklustre.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am

BOD still has it - could have been a second for Sexton though
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am

GunsGerms wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

Yup, and Farrell's misses - 1 out of 7.

I despair. Time to move to another forum.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 am

nathan wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

Of course its not... but in the driving seat...

Whistle

And that conversion SHOWS WHY Halfpenny is 1st choice kicker...

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 am

BOD, Sexton, Bowe and Croft are the best on show so far

Outstanding kick from Halfpenny - clear test kicker for me
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am

wales606 wrote:BOD, Sexton, Bowe and Croft are the best on show so far

North is looking good as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am

Oh dear, Healy looks to be badly injured :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:46 am

sirBiggles wrote:
nathan wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

Of course its not... but in the driving seat...

Whistle

And that conversion SHOWS WHY Halfpenny is 1st choice kicker...

Have to admit, he's a close as a dead cert as you can get!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:46 am

Biltong wrote:
wales606 wrote:BOD, Sexton, Bowe and Croft are the best on show so far

North is looking good as well.

He is starting to get into it now
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 am

North, 1/2p, Bowe would be my test starters.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 am

2 weeks until the first test, real blow for Healy

Call up for Paul James with Gethin needing a run on Saturday.

Big blow, hope he can recover, but it will be difficult

Healy accused of biting too, :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 am

Hope that's not Healy's tour over... not a nice way to go home...

Fingers crossed for him...

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

If that is Healy out, think it should be Ryan Grant for a call up

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 am

Mako showing his class

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 am

Easy in the end, Croft on Norths wing
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 am

Lets hope Healy is OK, it will be a real shame if he doesn't play in the tests.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:56 am

Another excellent kick
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 am

That's why he is kicking tonight and why he should kick in the tests.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:58 am

Another lovely conversion from Halfpenny... Think that underlines who the 1st choice kicker is and has to be... I wont labour that point any more...

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:59 am

Big blow losing Healy – one of the top LH in Europe IMO, particularly with questionnmarks over Gethin’s fitness.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Riskysports wrote:If that is Healy out, think it should be Ryan Grant for a call up

Grant has looked good, but James has the advantage of his combination with Adam and Hibbard
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Big blow losing Healy – one of the top LH in Europe IMO, particularly with questionnmarks over Gethin’s fitness.

After a couple of weeks of games and training Gethin was back to his best in the 6Ns - im sure he will be up to speed by the first test. Still, it's a huge chance for Vunipola
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:02 pm

sirBiggles wrote:Another lovely conversion from Halfpenny... Think that underlines who the 1st choice kicker is and has to be... I wont labour that point any more...

Good...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:03 pm

wales606 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:If that is Healy out, think it should be Ryan Grant for a call up

Grant has looked good, but James has the advantage of his combination with Adam and Hibbard

Possibly, but if going on form, then Grant is the top choice (should have gone before Jenkins at the start

Although actually happy for Grant to stay with Scotland, as that is almost as exciting a tour

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Could just be a sprained ankle for Healy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next