The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

+65
robbo277
gelodge
The Boss
belovedfrosties
GLove39
sirBiggles
caz
Full Credit
Hood83
UlstermaninGlasgow
Luckless Pedestrian
Toohey
BamBam
Gibson
tazfalklands
bedfordwelsh
red_stag
Breadvan
Portnoy's Complaint
The Saint
R!skysports
GunsGerms
bsando
Hound of Harrow
thomh
Taffineastbourne
yappysnap
Standulstermen
BigTrevsbigmac
Feckless Rogue
fa0019
flyhalffactory
LeinsterFan4life
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
Pal Joey
Notch
jimmyinthewell68
bluestonevedder
theslosty
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
lostinwales
munkian
George Carlin
RDW
GavinDragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
pete (buachaill on eirne)
hodge
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
Rugby Fan
Scrumpy
Biltong
reallybored
nathan
sickofwendy
wales606
stevetynant
majesticimperialman
100%beefy
69 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 5 Empty Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by 100%beefy Sun 02 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gatland states that the first 3 games will see every tourist getting a start on rotation. It means that speculation about test preferences based on selection is put aside for that period and gives Gatland the chance to see who is hungry and look at combinations, mix them up to give him maximum flexibility come test week.

Based on what i saw this weekend some players have squandered opportunities and others have pencilled their names in. POC was immense as was Philipps and Roberts; their Lions pedigree shone. The likes of Farrell have done themselves no favours and his liability at 10 is obvious....for me Hibbard and Lydiate needed a huge game. Maitland will be annoyed with himself but remains my bolter.

For the next game it is imperative Sam starts and if he doesn't then i think questions about his worth to the squad need to be asked. This is the team i want to see on Wednesday

Healy
Youngs
Cole
Evans
AWJ
Croft
Sam
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Manu
BOD
Bowe
Half

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 5 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by RubyGuby Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

Just smash the feck out of them - put 100 points on them with no mercy - That'll get them to think again. Play what's in front of you as if your life depended on it. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 5 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:09 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Just smash the feck out of them - put 100 points on them with no mercy - That'll get them to think again. Play what's in front of you as if your life depended on it. thumbsup

Agree here, with the pre game talk of taking the lions apart limb by limb, and doing things that could get at the lions, then naming a weakened side the only way to respond is by total humiliation until the 80th minute. Be calm, be clinical and rack up the type of point margin that annoys the fans to criticise the club!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:11 pm

If the Lions are undercooked mind and AUS win the series off the back of it you'll probably hear force and AUS fans say.. fair game, the force did what they were told and they played a part in the series victory.

Pieter De Villiers spoke about the same thing in his autobiography from the last tour.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Sure there was 9 starting Welshmen v the BaBas.
That was largely because of player availability and aren't you talking about the team for the first test?

Yes. What would your team be?

Obviously

Vunipola
Youngs
Cole
Parling
Evans
Croft
Warburton
Heaslip/Faletau
Youngs
Farrell
North
Davies
Tuilagi
Cuthbert
Maitland

Whistle

[quote] so u both would leave Adam out Erm Erm

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

[quote="jimmyinthewell68"]
ChequeredJersey wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
That was largely because of player availability and aren't you talking about the team for the first test?

Yes. What would your team be?

Obviously

Vunipola
Youngs
Cole
Parling
Evans
Croft
Warburton
Heaslip/Faletau
Youngs
Farrell
North
Davies
Tuilagi
Cuthbert
Maitland

Whistle

so u both would leave Adam out Erm Erm

My post was a joke, hence it containing 8 (or arguably 12 Wink ) Englishmen and multiple people born outside the UK
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:41 pm

"Englishmen and multiple people born outside the UK."

That would be the England XV then thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

Or, as it happens, the Welsh XV thumbsup Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

Glass houses & stones Ruby Wink

For all of us Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

UKIP XV Whistle

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

Glass houses & stones Ruby

For all of us laughing

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm

Linebreaker wrote:UKIP XV Whistle

I don't think UKIP would be very happy with the Lions selection Gatland chooses, I imagine they'd say ... "I'm not racist but near every single one of the them is a jonny foreigner".

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:

Glass houses & stones Ruby Wink

For all of us Whistle

Not Scotland though..... Oh!

Rolling Eyes

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:How did a thread discussing the Lions game against Western Force descend into Anglo Welsh bickering? Headscratch

I despair.

Evolution RDW Evolution - Don't confuse it with Devolution though thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

Its like watching two rats fight over who gets first tabs on the crumbs to fall from the kings table huh RDW! Run

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

The 'Welsh' backs have really added to the English call-ups.

Gatts is blatantly biased towards English players. I'm surprised there hasn't been more outrage Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm

Cyzil strikes again...

Why any of you reply to his attempts to derail I don't know!

Anyhoo, back to the Force total disrespect of the Lions, rugby and competitive sports...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

Disrespect deserves Disrespect - Let's Disrespect them! thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Cyzil strikes again...

Anyhoo, back to the Force total disrespect of the Lions, rugby and competitive sports...
I was actually responding to Ruby's post regarding England's 'foreign legion' OK

Cheer up you old curmudgeon Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

I was actually responding to Ruby's post regarding England's 'foreign legion' OK

I agree Blues, his comments are really dumb. It was a clear yet poor attempt to derail after other posters played down RG's post in a light-hearted manner.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:46 pm

Never mind the b*ll*cks....It the Lions tour !

rose Wales Braveheart Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 5 1660915282

Play what is infront of you, ignore the mindgames
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

The Saint wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

I agree Blues, his comments are really dumb. It was a clear yet poor attempt to derail after other posters played down RG's post in a light-hearted manner.
Welcome back Morg Very Happy

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

i could pick a whole Welsh first test team but i ll let gats do that Whistle only joking Hug four nations one lions Very Happy

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm

When they win, they're the B&I Lions. When they lose, I suspect they'll be the 'Welsh Lions.' You can't have it both ways so how about some gratitude for the Welsh Lions after winning their opening game Whistle ...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:39 pm

I couldn't careless if Western Force or anyone else puts out a weakened team, at the end of the day their still Aussies and Aussies hate losing so lets smash them and enjoy the wins. Very Happy
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:48 pm

VictorU3 wrote:I couldn't careless if Western Force or anyone else puts out a weakened team, at the end of the day their still Aussies and Aussies hate losing so lets smash them and enjoy the wins. Very Happy

I wouldn't say "hate", Victor. I'd say we prefer not to lose.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

VictorU3 wrote:I couldn't careless if Western Force or anyone else puts out a weakened team, at the end of the day their still Aussies and Aussies hate losing so lets smash them and enjoy the wins. Very Happy
[quote] jimmyinthewell68 likes this . OK

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

Linebreaker wrote:

Laugh In the same way that I'd *prefer* not to stand on an upturned plug wearing just my socks.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:45 pm

Ouch! Did you get that very sharp localised pain? I hate that! Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Ouch! Did you get that very sharp localised pain? I hate that! Very Happy
Cry
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:02 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:

Laugh In the same way that I'd *prefer* not to stand on an upturned plug wearing just my socks.

Plugs though are fairly obvious and should be avoidable.

Try random pieces of lego, sneaking up on unclad feet - especially when going down stairs.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

It's just the same old, same old Aussie trick - don't give a sucker an even chance.

It's Ashes year and they won't give a hint of their potential - especially if they're in for a trouncing.

http://www.espn.co.uk/lions-tour-2013/rugby/story/184319.html makes my heart bleed as the 'Force' (sic) cry all the way to the bank.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm

greytiger wrote:It's Ashes year and they won't give a hint of their potential - especially if they're in for a trouncing.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-champions-trophy-2013/engine/match/634966.html

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:23 pm

greytiger wrote:It's just the same old, same old Aussie trick - don't give a sucker an even chance.

It's Ashes year and they won't give a hint of their potential - especially if they're in for a trouncing.

http://www.espn.co.uk/lions-tour-2013/rugby/story/184319.html makes my heart bleed as the 'Force' (sic) cry all the way to the bank.

Quote of the day:

"We spent a lot of time looking at the selection and picking the number of senior players we have, and the number of internationals in key positions, probably reflects the seriousness we take the Lions game."
You're absolutely right about that, Michael Foley. I'm not sure on a biomolecular level it's actually possible for you to give less of a sh!t about this game.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm

Is this going to be a precedent for the S15 side games, weakened sides? I know their bread n butter is the league but kinda takes the edge off these warm up games.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:46 pm

Surely the Reds have to play Cooper to help Deans decide whether to play him or not?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:52 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Surely the Reds have to play Cooper to help Deans decide whether to play him or not?

Yes Cooper will play for the Reds. It will be interesting to see if Cooper can perform in weaker side. If he is as good as his fans say he is then this is he chance to show his worth and he should stand out.

If he doesnt play well no doubt Deans will use his performance to justify not selecting him which it seems is what Deans wants to achieve from all of this.

Cooper is bad news, the Reds had to hire a life coach for him just to get his head straight. The guy is a liability and Deans knows it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:58 pm

My wishlist for this game:

1: No injuries
2: Some of the players who encourage a "wider" game (Croft, Sexton, BOD) have good games and stamp their mark on it.
3: We see improved skills (humidity in HK was massive lets prove we can pass)
4: This lock pairing raise the bar again from last Saturday
5: Gatland's round the corner blue print continues to settle with the players
6: 1/2p shows us why he should be in the test team when he is not kicker

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

I'd like to see a more flexible centre pairing rather than a straight inside-outside combination, both players have the ability to play both positions and I'd like to see them mix and match to keep the opposition guessing, at a push O'Driscoll could go first receiver and allow Sexton to go out wider occasionally as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:07 pm

Serious question do you think Gatland would pick a Test side without an Englishman on it.

Yes you pick the side that is best for the team but would picking the below team (no English or Scottish players in the starting team but still a possible enough selection) lead to much controversy.

01 Cian Healy
02 Richard Hibbard
03 Adam Jones
04 Alun Wyn Jones
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Sam Warburton (c)
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Jamie Heaslip
09 Mike Phillips
10 Johnny Sexton
11 George North
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Brian O'Driscoll
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Rory Best
17 Mako Vunipola
18 Dan Cole
19 Richie Gray
20 Sean O'Brien
21 Ben Youngs
22 Owen Farrell
23 Stuart Hogg

If there would be controversy is that a good enough reason to opt to include Cole or Youngs or Gray or Maitland or Tuilagi in the starting XV.

How big an issue is national representation and is there much backlash by leaving out some nations?

Would it be better for a coach to ensure that all 4 nations have some representation and they can sidestep the questions and distractions that would follow in the prematch build up.

(BTW Im not saying thats the best team - this is more a debate about whether all nations need representing (especially the big nations) - you could make a perfect team with no Irish and minimal Welsh players too).

Last edited by red_stag on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

123456789 wrote:I'd like to see a more flexible centre pairing rather than a straight inside-outside combination, both players have the ability to play both positions and I'd like to see them mix and match to keep the opposition guessing, at a push O'Driscoll could go first receiver and allow Sexton to go out wider occasionally as well.

Not a bad idea and thats probably what they will do.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

Sounds like BOD-JD2 to me
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:50 pm

Are you seriously suggesting Hogg and Lydiate were amongst the worst players against the Baa Baas........... or are you just kidding?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:54 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting Hogg and Lydiate were amongst the worst players against the Baa Baas........... or are you just kidding?

100% serious. Both made a lot of mistakes. Hogg played like a headless chicken and Lydiate knocked the ball on and turned over call a number of times and was ineffective compared to most of the other forwards.

Both will need to improve a lot to get into the test team.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Hogg played like a headless chicken and Lydiate knocked the ball on and turned over call a number of times and was ineffective compared to most of the other forwards.

That's harsh on Hogg. He ran some great lines and had the ball not been a greasy lump of sweat he could have been in for two scores. I think you're probably thinking of his first catch and counter, in which he got smashed by Lualua. Fair enough, he did just run into him, but once he got up and dusted himself off, he was pretty decent for the rest of the match, including a lovely piece of composed play to get out of his 22.

The Baa Baas didn't kick much ball to the back, meaning that Hogg's big strength, his counter-attacking, didn't really come into play. He still made some good attacking incursions though.

Not a vintage performance, but I disagree with the view that he played poorly.

As for Lydiate, he did his job, no more no less. Tackled his heart out. His big threat will come from Tom Croft, who is capable of both the grunt work and more eye-catching charges around the park.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

+1 FES. Talk about players being "bad" in an uncompetitive first game played in a Turkish bath is completely pointless. I don't think you can say that anyone played "badly". Even Maitland, who was incredibly quiet as he had bugger all to do defensively and all the attacks came down the right or were forwards dominated.

The real tour (and being able to judge players' performances) starts now.

Oh, and the Reds will definitely play Cooper for the simple reason that McKenzie wants Deans' job and fully intends to polarise opinion by seeing Cooper play well against the Lions, followed by Deans either not selecting him at all or adding him to his training squad two weeks later than he should have been. McKenzie thinks that if he leaves Cooper out and the Lions take the series, then that is plenty of rope for Dingo to hang himself with. Every pundit I've read agrees.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:41 pm

Cooper vs Farrell - now there's a clash of styles if ever there was one!

Anyway, does McKenzie really want Deans' job? I heard that it was the Edinburgh job he really wanted..... Run

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:39 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

100% serious. Both made a lot of mistakes. Hogg played like a headless chicken and Lydiate knocked the ball on and turned over call a number of times and was ineffective compared to most of the other forwards.

I think Hogg was okay. I don't ever remember Lydiate doing any of that though. He tackled well, carried well and took his try well. You lot really dislike Danny Lydiate for some reason.

Why can't we be more supportive. The Scots are hating on Mike Phillips, the Irish are hating on Dan Lydiate and everybody is hating on Owen Farrell. Get behind the Lions!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

Lydiate will always get my backing but I think he is one of those players that will also always have his knockers no matter what he does.

He wasn't upto his best but he lasted the pace well and will only get better and for me I would start him at 6 everytime.

Farrell and Phillips both had mixed bags good and bad, farrell place kicking was pretty much spot on but from hand was poor yet he stood his ground and proved that the Lions are not going to be bullied (99 anyone).

Its not just other fans that give Phillips grief, trust me us Welsh give him some to. His passing in general was ok but there were his customary loose ones, yet he proved what a handle full he is and how much problem he can cause.

Lets see all players in action first in more testing games before we make to many decisions.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

I hope Farrell gets a chance vs the Force...! He needs a good game to prove he can cut it at this level. He was a complete liability in the Saturday match.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

Thats harsh for you Maes, I didn't think he was as bad as some are making out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next