The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

+65
robbo277
gelodge
The Boss
belovedfrosties
GLove39
sirBiggles
caz
Full Credit
Hood83
UlstermaninGlasgow
Luckless Pedestrian
Toohey
BamBam
Gibson
tazfalklands
bedfordwelsh
red_stag
Breadvan
Portnoy's Complaint
The Saint
R!skysports
GunsGerms
bsando
Hound of Harrow
thomh
Taffineastbourne
yappysnap
Standulstermen
BigTrevsbigmac
Feckless Rogue
fa0019
flyhalffactory
LeinsterFan4life
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
Pal Joey
Notch
jimmyinthewell68
bluestonevedder
theslosty
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
lostinwales
munkian
George Carlin
RDW
GavinDragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
pete (buachaill on eirne)
hodge
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
Rugby Fan
Scrumpy
Biltong
reallybored
nathan
sickofwendy
wales606
stevetynant
majesticimperialman
100%beefy
69 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 10 Empty Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by 100%beefy Sun 02 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gatland states that the first 3 games will see every tourist getting a start on rotation. It means that speculation about test preferences based on selection is put aside for that period and gives Gatland the chance to see who is hungry and look at combinations, mix them up to give him maximum flexibility come test week.

Based on what i saw this weekend some players have squandered opportunities and others have pencilled their names in. POC was immense as was Philipps and Roberts; their Lions pedigree shone. The likes of Farrell have done themselves no favours and his liability at 10 is obvious....for me Hibbard and Lydiate needed a huge game. Maitland will be annoyed with himself but remains my bolter.

For the next game it is imperative Sam starts and if he doesn't then i think questions about his worth to the squad need to be asked. This is the team i want to see on Wednesday

Healy
Youngs
Cole
Evans
AWJ
Croft
Sam
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Manu
BOD
Bowe
Half

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 10 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:05 pm

Am I right in thinking that if Corbs is officially added to the squad then Healy cant take any further part or is that ruling just for official tournaments.

I seem to remember something involving Wade Dooley leaving the Lions due to his fathers illness but wasn't then allowed to re-join because a replacement had been called up.

Or am I wrong on this one?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Team selection: First Lions match in Aus - Page 10 Empty Re: Team selection: First Lions match in Aus

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:46 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Am I right in thinking that if Corbs is officially added to the squad then Healy cant take any further part or is that ruling just for official tournaments.

I seem to remember something involving Wade Dooley leaving the Lions due to his fathers illness but wasn't then allowed to re-join because a replacement had been called up.

The Home Unions decided not to allow Dooley to rejoin the tour in 1993, rather than it being a hard and fast rule. I do not believe there are any regulations governing squad sizes so nothing to stop Corbs and Healy both being in the squad. Similar to last autumn when NZ added several players to their squad when they had a few citing issues.

Also note trhat at the moment Corbs has been called up as cover.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:48 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Am I right in thinking that if Corbs is officially added to the squad then Healy cant take any further part or is that ruling just for official tournaments.

The Home Unions decided not to allow Dooley to rejoin the tour in 1993, rather than it being a hard and fast rule. I do not believe there are any regulations governing squad sizes so nothing to stop Corbs and Healy both being in the squad. Similar to last autumn when NZ added several players to their squad when they had a few citing issues.

Also note trhat at the moment Corbs has been called up as cover.

LT,

Cheers for that mate I knew there was something (or someone) stopping Dooley at the time maybe these days of professionalism things are done well more professionally Whistle .
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:52 pm

I may be wrong about the current rules, but in 93 it was the blazers harrumphing about the spirit of the game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:56 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I may be wrong about the current rules, but in 93 it was the blazers harrumphing about the spirit of the game.

Most likely correct butty after all old bum face was right when he called them 57 old farts in that it actually related to all governing bodies not just the RFU who he aimed it at.

On the playing front good news for Corbs as before injury he was in top form but harsh on James I feel, especially given fact James can play T/Head as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:57 pm

wales606 wrote:I just hope this favouring of English front row forwards (Hartley, Corbs and even Vunipola) doesn't extend to the test match squad

At the moment, Cole and Youngs are a long way from the starting 15 - I wouldn't mind Vunipola on current form though

Bit harsh to say that Youngs is a long way from the starting 15 given he hasn't started a tour game yet. Let's see how he goes on Saturday.

Everyone was up in arms when Hartley was picked over Best, but now that "error has been righted" - and Best was one of the worst players on the pitch today. Maybe Hartley wasn't such a bad pick after all.

Similar with Vunipola, not sure how you can say he's there ahead of more deserving candidates when he's started the tour on fantastic form. He was brought for his carrying game and his work around the park and both areas have been phenomenal, with his scrumaging holding up too. Similar to Youngs though, Jenkins will get his chance on Saturday but Mako is worth his place.

Corbisiero is a marginal call over James and Grant, but some of the stuff that's been said on here is just wrong. For example, Corbisiero took part in the Autumn Internationals starting the games against South Africa and New Zealand and more than held his own in both. I can't think of a time where Corbs has been shown up at International level. He's not played any high profile games in 2013 but he's put a run of games together for his club, got back to full fitness and is the most talented option out of himself, James and Grant.

The only puzzler for me in the front row is Stevens. Out of all the players picked to tour he was the one I couldn't quite get my head around, and he hasn't shown much in his two substitute appearances. He'll get a go on Saturday, sure, but I'm not expecting too much.

It may be that no English front-row player starts in the tests, but to say that there is some kind of favouring going on is wrong in my book, they're all very good players and the calls that have gone the way of the England front row players are no more marginal than the calls that have kept out other English players such as Launchbury, Robshaw, Wood, Morgan and Care.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm

I actually believe that Youngs and Sexton will make the strongest possible Lions pairing, in the cold light of day. Phillips and Murray are far too similar and predictable. Oz have being watching carbon copy sniping SH's. They will cut them down at source.

Youngs and Sexton together, could cause unpredictable havoc. They get my vote for the Tests.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:25 pm

I'm afraid you can believe all you want Mr G but when the test team is picked it will be Mike Phillips at 9. You can bet your clogs on that!

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:27 pm

It will be Phillips at 9 without doubt.

I'd agree though Gibson, Youngs would be my choice at 9. Not many 9's have outplayed Genia but Youngs has done it twice now which is some feat.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:03 am

Maybe Gats is looking for the best combo (English or Irish combo) with Phillips on the bench.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:06 am

RubyGuby wrote:I'm afraid you can believe all you want Mr G but when the test team is picked it will be Mike Phillips at 9. You can bet your clogs on that!

I would bet my clogs on it Ruby. But we will lose the Series (as per), if he does.

We need inspiration and the right dynamics at midfield to finally win a series. Phillips and Murray are so alike and so predictable. Sniping and sometimes selfish at key times. Oz can shackle that easily. They will be shut down at source. Too easy. Youngs and Sexton combined invention and unpredictability, would tear them up.

Just my valued, vastly experienced and correct opinion mind. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:24 am

Phillips is the experienced head of the Lions backs - he is far and away the best 9 for the Lions at the moment, and our chance of winning the series will be less if he doesn't start the tests.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Jun 2013, 5:51 am

Youngs has a great opportunity to impress his skills on the coaches this weekend.

He is a massively talented player but he can be dominated by other scrum halfs, and struggles if his pack aren't dominant.

He should have an armchair ride infront of the forwards selected this week. It is a great opportunity for him, and Farrell to launch their tours.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:16 am

I've been impressed by Youngs's kicking recently, especially for touch. That's not Phillips's strongest suit.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm

Gibson wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:I'm afraid you can believe all you want Mr G but when the test team is picked it will be Mike Phillips at 9. You can bet your clogs on that!

I would bet my clogs on it Ruby. But we will lose the Series (as per), if he does.

We need inspiration and the right dynamics at midfield to finally win a series. Phillips and Murray are so alike and so predictable. Sniping and sometimes selfish at key times. Oz can shackle that easily. They will be shut down at source. Too easy. Youngs and Sexton combined invention and unpredictability, would tear them up.

Just my valued, vastly experienced and correct opinion mind. OK

Yeah you're right. If we the lose the series it will because of Phillips picard.
I'm guessing Gatland might go with one from each; Youngs and Sexton with Phillips on the bench. Though I believe he might start with Phillips for the first test.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10