The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Manny v Mosley discussion

+41
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
The Galveston Giant
Davie
Boxtthis
joeyjojo618
HumanWindmill
talkingpickle
eddyfightfan
Kay Fabe
skidd1
AlexHuckerby
David Tails
dangerous_mouse
licence_007
Youarethegreatest
Sugar Boy Sweetie
TRUSSMAN66
MickeyGoldmill
Lumbering_Jack
ArchBritishchris
Rowley
Bob
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AdZacO
pacman79
hitmansam
Scottrf
wow_junky
coxy0001
Valero's Conscience
Fists of Fury
Imperial Ghosty
beastfromthesoutheast
BALTIMORA
ONETWOFOREVER
azania
Cotto89
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
D4thincarnation
oxring
45 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Post Manny v Mosley discussion - Page 17 Empty Post Manny v Mosley discussion

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2011, 5:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Made me long for the heady days of Hopkins/Calzaghe!!!

Off to bed, no further comment to make on that snore-fest except to say that Mayweather should sign to fight Manny IMMEDIATELY

Last edited by Hero on Sun 08 May 2011, 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thouhgt it best to contain all post fight articles in one thread with a title that explains that)

Back to top Go down

Post Manny v Mosley discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: Post Manny v Mosley discussion

Post by Rowley Mon 16 May 2011, 11:24 am

Balti only put them in as they are one of the few modern bands I have heard of, my knowledge of modern music makes my knowledge of modern boxing look encyclopedic.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post Manny v Mosley discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: Post Manny v Mosley discussion

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 May 2011, 11:32 am

rowley wrote:Dan Brown or Norman Mailer?

The Spice Girls or Arcade Fire?

Pirates of the Caribbean or The Lifes of Others?

There is no correlation between number of sales and quality. Manny is a superstar, there is no denying that, is a fact most accept and accepted before the fight took place. The figures have merely confirmed what everyone knew and accepted beforehand. Does not in any way mean this was a valid match up. Most accepted it was a poor match up beforehand and the fight confirmed this when it took place. Struggle to see what the PPV figures chance apart from confirming what everyone knew and accepted weeks ago.

They also used Mosley's name to sell the fight Manny wouldn't have did these numbers against Timothy Bradley for example.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 16 May 2011, 11:49 am

Who do people think were watching the fight?

It was boxing fans, and while music taste can varries and excitining fight is an exciting fight and exciting fighters are exciting fighter.

Comparing music and books to boxing are not really valid analogies.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 16 May 2011, 11:55 am

D4thincarnation wrote:Who do people think were watching the fight?

It was boxing fans, and while music taste can varries and excitining fight is an exciting fight and exciting fighters are exciting fighter.

Comparing music and books to boxing are not really valid analogies.

Ignoring the terrible English; The Mosley fight was not very exciting, nor were the performances of the two participants. It was a damp squib. A let-down.

Who was watching it? People who fell for the hype, perhaps. People who thought Mosley would SOMEHOW be more capable than he was in his previous two fights, despite being older and clearly past it.

The analogies are perfectly valid: they demonstrate that critical acclaim and actual quality are no guarantee of financial and commercial success, and vice versa.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 16 May 2011, 11:59 am

The analogies are perfectly valid: they demonstrate that critical acclaim and actual quality are no guarantee of financial and commercial success, and vice versa.

Agree wholeheartedly, the overarching point people are making is massive sales are no guarantee of quality or merit. Take That sold a lot of concert tickets this year, are still bobbins.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 16 May 2011, 12:01 pm

Music is much more subjective.

Boxing is not, that is why the analogy does not work.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 16 May 2011, 12:01 pm

It's only your opinion that those books/artists are not of quality though. A lot of people would disagree, that's why they are successful. Isn't quality being able to satisfy your target market?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 16 May 2011, 12:04 pm

Scottrf wrote:It's only your opinion that those books/artists are not of quality though. A lot of people would disagree, that's why they are successful. Isn't quality being able to satisfy your target market?

Absolutely and on those grounds Haye Harrison was a corking success, does not mean it was an entertaining match up or anything other than a farcical match up. And when it comes to Dan Brown, he is rubbish and I am right in saying that, anyone who disagrees is clearly wrong.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 16 May 2011, 12:05 pm

I find Dan Brown's books entertaining, they are good for what they are. Not a literary masterpiece like Kane and Abel though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 16 May 2011, 12:08 pm

rowley wrote:
Scottrf wrote:It's only your opinion that those books/artists are not of quality though. A lot of people would disagree, that's why they are successful. Isn't quality being able to satisfy your target market?

Absolutely and on those grounds Haye Harrison was a corking success, does not mean it was an entertaining match up or anything other than a farcical match up. And when it comes to Dan Brown, he is rubbish and I am right in saying that, anyone who disagrees is clearly wrong.

And thats why they are much more subjective.

Think of the most boring fighter, do you think any boxing fans see that boxer as the most exciting?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 16 May 2011, 12:09 pm

Why is it so important, anyway ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 16 May 2011, 12:40 pm

Boxing is every bit as subjective. Some people on here will say they prefer to watch technical finery, others prefer to watch a brawl. The Matrix movies are 2/3 pap. They were still massive commercial successes. Same with Pirates of the Caribbean. Shawshank, as I've already pointed out, performed poorly at the box office, yet is regularly in peoples top ten film lists. D4, you are talking poopy again.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 16 May 2011, 12:42 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
rowley wrote:

Think of the most boring fighter, do you think any boxing fans see that boxer as the most exciting?

Ali was an exciting fighter who had quite a few boring fights which stank arenas out.

Mosley v Pacquiao, by overwhelming opinion throughout the boxing world, was a simply awful fight.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 May 2011, 12:50 pm

Why are Take That bobbins????

Don't like them myself but the fact they are massive and sell out arena's kind of suggests alot of people like their music.....

The difference with Boxing as opposed to music is that people will pay to watch exciting fighters who aren't as good like micky Ward, Bruno, Katsidis etc... because they are looking to be entertained..

Music sells in the entertainment industry...skill + Excitement sells in the Boxing industry..

Different entirely..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 16 May 2011, 12:50 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
rowley wrote:

Ali was an exciting fighter who had quite a few boring fights which stank arenas out.

Mosley v Pacquiao, by overwhelming opinion throughout the boxing world, was a simply awful fight.

The point is the are generally agreed upon.

Someone could think that Take That is the greatest band in the world and another person would think they are the worst.

That is because music is very subjective, boxing is nowhere near those extremes, and thats why I dismiss that analogy.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 May 2011, 12:55 pm

You think Mayweather is the anti-christ and Manny is God....

You're not the right guy to talk about extremes and subjectivity...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 16 May 2011, 1:14 pm

Sorry D4 but what you view as an exciting fight may not be the same as mine, for instance I would not pay to watch Gatti go life and death with a C level fighter in Ward not kind of thing would far rather watch a clinical display of perfection.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 16 May 2011, 1:17 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
rowley wrote:

The point is the are generally agreed upon.

Someone could think that Take That is the greatest band in the world and another person would think they are the worst.

That is because music is very subjective, boxing is nowhere near those extremes, and thats why I dismiss that analogy.

The reason you dismiss that analogy is for no reason other than that it doesn't support your rather myopic view.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 16 May 2011, 1:20 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Sorry D4 but what you view as an exciting fight may not be the same as mine, for instance I would not pay to watch Gatti go life and death with a C level fighter in Ward not kind of thing would far rather watch a clinical display of perfection.

So you didn't like the Gatti vs Ward fights?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 16 May 2011, 1:29 pm

Not particularly no, they were wars yes but the standard of actual boxing and ability was too low for my liking

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 19 May 2011, 10:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f8LKu5v_nso

Mosley on the George Lopez show talking about the Pacquiao fight, Mayweather and his future.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 19 May 2011, 10:05 am

It looks like Pacquiao has retired Mosley as well

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 19 May 2011, 10:06 am

D4thincarnation wrote:It looks like Pacquiao has retired Mosley as well

Pity Mosley didn't retire before the fight.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 19 May 2011, 10:12 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

Bit harsh Windy I thought he met us halfway and retired during the fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 19 May 2011, 10:13 am

rowley wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Bit harsh Windy I thought he met us halfway and retired during the fight.

Never write off a great fighter, jeff.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17