The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Probables v Possibles to take place on 30th May

+42
BigTrevsbigmac
HammerofThunor
wales606
Cari
rainbow-warrior
SecretFly
Blueschief
sickofwendy
MMaaxx
No9
maverickmak
glamorganalun
Nematode
Rugby Fan
samuraidragon
TBJ9625
wrfc1980
BlueNote
irnbrew
Jimpy
PenfroPete
jimmyinthewell68
Poorfour
XR
lostinwales
welshy824 (new)
bluestonevedder
greygoose
Scratch
Scoped
Seagultaf
GavinDragon
Jhamer25
Cardiff Dave
Notch
The Saint
Knowsit17
bedfordwelsh
Coleman
Scrumpy
Norfolklass
munkian
46 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Welsh Probables v Possibles to take place on 30th May - Page 3 Empty Welsh Probables v Possibles to take place on 30th May

Post by munkian Thu 08 May 2014, 4:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

At the Liberty Stadium according to Twitter. Not seen it elsewhere yet.

Will be interesting to see who is available for selection and who they think are possibles

From a Dragon's point of view I'd like to see Amos, Rees, Lewis Evans, Cudd, Dixon and Tyler Morgan given a run.

Jordan Williams needs a run too ! Would like to see Gavlar too, shirts and skins, swit swoooo  Smile 

EDIT

Its yer

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/30400.php
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Welsh Probables v Possibles to take place on 30th May - Page 3 Empty Re: Welsh Probables v Possibles to take place on 30th May

Post by XR Tue 13 May 2014, 12:20 pm

It's the WRU, they do what they want!

XR

Back to top Go down

Welsh Probables v Possibles to take place on 30th May - Page 3 Empty Re: Welsh Probables v Possibles to take place on 30th May

Post by Seagultaf Tue 13 May 2014, 12:22 pm

Strange choices, surely it would be better to have your best 15 against the next best 15 rather than having second pick players on the probables bench?

Some strange choices; the two Dragons props who have not exactly impressed with their scrumaging skills this season. Also Jon Fox young brother, who I cant remember playing any games for the Scarlets.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 13 May 2014, 12:22 pm

gcBlues wrote:It's the WRU, they do what they want!

As long as there is somebody else to blame....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 May 2014, 12:56 pm

Some strange selections, I hope that some of those players don't make the final squad...

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 13 May 2014, 12:58 pm

lostinwales wrote:Lots of AP/T14 players listed. Are they all going to be available?

No.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 May 2014, 2:02 pm

What has Henson done to deserve a recall?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 13 May 2014, 2:13 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:What has Henson done to deserve a recall?

He did little wrong to lose his place in 2011 apart from breaking his arm/wrist vs. England in a RWC warm up game.
The slap he received at the start of the season has done him the world of good, nobody at the club have had a bad word to say about him all season despite him only playing a cameo role for Bath.

You could do a lot worse than Mr Henson.  thumbsup 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Tue 13 May 2014, 2:22 pm

cANNOT BELIEVE NO LEWIS EVANS HE IS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN SOME OF THOSE SELECTED

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 May 2014, 2:35 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:What has Henson done to deserve a recall?

He did little wrong to lose his place in 2011 apart from breaking his arm/wrist vs. England in a RWC warm up game.
The slap he received at the start of the season has done him the world of good, nobody at the club have had a bad word to say about him all season despite him only playing a cameo role for Bath.

You could do a lot worse than Mr Henson.  thumbsup 

Oh no, I fully agree about 2011. He was unlucky to get injured. But my impression was that he'd had a somewhat quiet season at Bath, with a few appearances off the bench. I thought a youngster in the regions might have put his hand up.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 May 2014, 2:39 pm

He is rated by the coaches down in Bath, hes had some good performances there, solid I think best describes him right now. Could the coaches see him as a utility back along with Hook? Covers 10,12 and 15.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 13 May 2014, 2:43 pm

His been ok for Bath nothing special but solid, he was never really a impact sub to be honest.

But is SA the right place to throw a youngster from a Region into international rugby?  Headscratch 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 13 May 2014, 2:45 pm

On this feed http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/34376 - Kick off is scheduled for 7pm, subject to confirmation of broadcasters.

Can't open the WRU Facebook page in the office, but the summary after a Google search indicates Kick off will be after 7pm on Friday 30th.

Lord help us !!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 13 May 2014, 3:07 pm

Some fairly fringe characters, eg in the back row, but no Rob McCusker, Lewis Evans, Sam Lewis.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 May 2014, 3:08 pm

Scrumpy wrote:His been ok for Bath nothing special but solid, he was never really a impact sub to be honest.

But is SA the right place to throw a youngster from a Region into international rugby?  Headscratch 

I'd argue it is. I'd rather younger players have a tough time and work hard for a defeat, than go on a tour of Japan where victory is expected and then lose.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 May 2014, 3:12 pm

irnbrew wrote:cANNOT BELIEVE NO LEWIS EVANS HE IS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN SOME OF THOSE SELECTED

Here here that is the one big surprise for me and can't understand it guy must be gutted.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 May 2014, 3:24 pm

Ok so lets say none of the exiles will be available what sides are we possibly looking at:-

PROBABLES
Jenkins
Owens
A Jones
AWJ
Ball
Shingler
Faletau
Navidi

Rh Williams
Biggar

Amos
????
JD
Cuthbert

Li Williams

Seems very short on backs in that squad

POSSIBLES
Rh Jones
Rees
Andrews
B Davies
Evans
Coombs
Baker
Turnbull

G Davies
Morgan

???
Shingler
Allen
J Williams

Prydie

Will def need to do some deals for player release

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue 13 May 2014, 4:34 pm

I don't see the sense in some of Gatland and Co's decisions. I mean where has James Davies name come from. Nic Cudd, Lewis Evans, Sam Lewis, Ellis Jenkins should all be ahead of him.
Makes no sense what so ever. It's not like he has only just impressed overcome up from the U20's either. He is 24 with s regional appearances to his name (both LV cups as well).
Then their is Owen Evans in the probables, wtf is that about
We choose two looseheads in Owen Evans and Phil price who can't even impress in a poor dragons regional pack. Where is the sense.
I don't see what Gatland has against the likes of Richie Rees and Lewis Evans because they are 10 times more worthy of a place than the likes of Lloyd Williams, James Davies, and even aAaron shingler who has had hardly any game time these past few months

I know the U20's have a the world cup coming up soon but surly giving some players like Nicky Smith and Thomas, Jack Dixon and Scott Matthews a run out would be more beneficial for them, the junior team and the future.

Then there is the issue of will half of these players actually be allowed to play by there clubs, i want to go watch this game, but i won't be buying a ticket until we get closer to the game because god know whats going to be on offer.

But the worst think i have gathered form all of this, is the strength in depth in our backs.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Tue 13 May 2014, 5:14 pm

Let's be honest the only reason Henson is picked is as marketing ploy to drum up ticket sales. He has been a bit part player at bath making odd substitute appearances. The wru really do continue to lady of loose morals themselves out chasing the £

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 13 May 2014, 5:48 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Let's be honest the only reason Henson is picked is as marketing ploy to drum up ticket sales. He has been a bit part player at bath making odd substitute appearances. The wru really do continue to lady of loose morals themselves out chasing the £

Doubt it. Though it may have that effect i think selling tix for a fiver and not even having a time decided because tv schedules are booked up tells you they aren't out on a cash cow jolly.

Fact is Henson is the perfect experienced back up bench player against the Boks, and he has clearly had some sense knocked into him by Bath and his team mates.

Good luck to the lad i say, it's never too late. Just hope he makes it through the trial….remember RWC 2011

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 13 May 2014, 7:34 pm

Shocked that guys like Sam Davies, Shingler and Owen Evans can make the probables squad! Even more shocked to see this unknown James Davis picked over Lewis Evans in the possibles. Apart from that it's pretty spot on.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 13 May 2014, 7:41 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:

I know the U20's have a the world cup coming up soon but surly giving some players like Nicky Smith and Thomas, Jack Dixon and Scott Matthews a run out would be more beneficial for them, the junior team and the future.

Then there is the issue of will half of these players actually be allowed to play by there clubs, i want to go watch this game, but i won't be buying a ticket until we get closer to the game because god know whats going to be on offer.

But the worst think i have gathered form all of this, is the strength in depth in our backs.

Nah, U20s is our 2nd team and those are some good U20 players there. We need a strong 2nd team so it makes sense, even Amos should have been left with the U20s.

I think your overly worried, remember there are a few backs unavailable due to play-offs and injury, some of which will be on the tour.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 May 2014, 8:08 pm

The Saint wrote:Shocked that guys like Sam Davies, Shingler and Owen Evans can make the probables squad! Even more shocked to see this unknown James Davis picked over Lewis Evans in the possibles. Apart from that it's pretty spot on.

I think S Shingler is a good pick but agree on the others after all our (Dragons) front row is abysmal at best so how come Evans and Price are in there god only knows and WTF L Evans has to do to get picked I just don't know.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 13 May 2014, 9:12 pm

To be honest id rather have a fully fit, fully functioning Henson at 12 and JD at 13 than Roberts and JD. But is he either of those at the moment??? Have seen lots of good comments coming out of Bath about him, and Mr Guscott has been singing quite lowdly too. But when was the last time he played a full game? Lets see how he does Wink
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 13 May 2014, 9:22 pm

Please lets not all get Gav love again, he's done nothing of note for a long while and yes I am sure the media will big it all up etc lets keep feet on ground.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue 13 May 2014, 10:15 pm

The Saint wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

Nah, U20s is our 2nd team and those are some good U20 players there. We need a strong 2nd team so it makes sense, even Amos should have been left with the U20s.

I think your overly worried, remember there are a few backs unavailable due to play-offs and injury, some of which will be on the tour.

Fair enough i thought the junior world cup was mid June but it's right at the start.
The depth in the front 5 is really good. We are covered at 9 with Gareth Davies and Rhodri looking really promising. 10 should be ok with bigger starting and Owen Williams as back up (hopefully) and Hook if the worst happens. Praying that Jamie, Jonathan and Cory all stay fit itherwise that will be an area for concern.
Back three is my biggest worry.
But the thing that really bugs em is that Gavin gets it, isn't getting any younger and is hardly the player he was. Yet Lee Byrne still in the form of his life, coming back to Wales next year and is still left out to bring through new talent.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 13 May 2014, 11:20 pm

Not sure, as I think Byrne has lost a fair bit of pace in his ripe old age, so wouldn't really be suited to dealing with some of SA's elusive runners in their back division. Brew however, might have been a better option.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Wed 14 May 2014, 4:35 am

What has Richie Rees done to offend Gatland? It must be serious.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 14 May 2014, 5:37 am

samuraidragon wrote:What has Richie Rees done to offend Gatland? It must be serious.

I think its more Howley than Gatland by all accounts from when both were at the Blues - or rumour has it anyway, now Lewis Evans on the other hand must have really peeved Gats off.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 14 May 2014, 6:44 am

Also I been thinking, we read about some players having to have surgery done in the off season now but who does have the final say is ith the Union, Region or the player.

Take Tipuric as the main example, his main competitor for the No7 jersey (Warburton) has already been ruled out so it would be a great chance for him to put a marker down but he's having surgery.

Now if it was me I would want to go on this tour at all costs but Navidi now gets the chance to put his casae forward, I know injuries are all part and parcel of the game and he would have to have the surgery at some stage but who does actually get the final say I wonder.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 14 May 2014, 8:04 am

bedfordWelsh i would say if tips was on a central contract it would be up to the WRU but hes being paid by ospreys so they would want him to have the op off season .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 14 May 2014, 8:07 am

i would think the squad list will change quite a bit especially if the English clubs won't release the Welsh players so perhaps rees and Evans will get their chance

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 14 May 2014, 8:11 am

if Henson fit and playing well i wouldn't mind him in next years world cup squad . perhaps that's gats thinking bringing him back

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 14 May 2014, 8:34 am

samuraidragon wrote:What has Richie Rees done to offend Gatland? It must be serious.

Bedfordwelsh is correct, Howley doesn't think too much of Rees.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 May 2014, 8:45 am

wrfc1980 wrote:Let's be honest the only reason Henson is picked is as marketing ploy to drum up ticket sales. He has been a bit part player at bath making odd substitute appearances. The wru really do continue to lady of loose morals themselves out chasing the £

£5 an adult ticket with the proffits going to charity along with an extra donation. Yeah, they are cashing in there...  Rolling Eyes 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 9:28 am

So how much will the players be earning for this game?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 14 May 2014, 11:56 am

Scrumpy wrote:So how much will the players be earning for this game?

Naff all I guess.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 May 2014, 2:22 pm

The chance to go on tour to SA or possibly future Wales selection is a big enough draw to play 1 game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 14 May 2014, 2:30 pm

Must be mixed feelings at the Dragons. (Ricky Jnr) Evans and Phil Price are probably the two big suprises, both seem to really struggle in the scrums, so why? must be the question. Phil John has been the best loose head in Wales this season and whilst he is no spring chicken he would keep the scrums competitive,

On the other hand the excellent Lewis Evans has again been overlooked and the completly unknown James (brother of JD2) Davies has been included. Also Tyler Morgan, who along with Hallam Amos looks a fantastic prospect. May be a bit early to consider him at 13 but he has the pace for wing and should have been considered ahead of Harry Robinson.

And what about Jason Tovey, Ospreys 3rd choice Matthew Morgan and Sam Davies who plays most of his rugby at 15 both picked ahead of him!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 May 2014, 2:39 pm

Selections are a bit mad but I'd rather Evans be over looked and remain uninjured than get smashed in this aggressive cuddle tour to SA

Cudd has been very consistent too and is an actual 7.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 2:40 pm

IronMike wrote:

The chance to go on tour to SA or possibly future Wales selection is a big enough draw to play 1 game.

But what happens if you pick up a career ending injury?

Its only a exhibition game, Gats and Co already know their squad so it would be a bit of a wasted effort unless you are chasing your 1st cap.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 May 2014, 2:42 pm

You could pick up a career ending injury in any training session... I don't get your point ?

If Bath hadn't done a 'liverpool' and blown play off spot then James or Gavlar could've been injured in the Aviva semi final
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 2:46 pm

munkian wrote:You could pick up a career ending injury in any training session... I don't get your point ?

If Bath hadn't done a 'liverpool' and blown play off spot then James or Gavlar could've been injured in the Aviva semi final

But they would be getting paid to do their job, this game is pointless!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 May 2014, 2:48 pm

The money is going to charity isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 May 2014, 2:51 pm

Yes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 2:51 pm

So its a charity game?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 3:10 pm

Any Celebs or retired players taking part?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 14 May 2014, 3:16 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Any Celebs or retired players taking part?

Yes, Henson!!!!!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 3:20 pm

Laugh  Not taking part just yet, so don't get your hopes up.

Its a shame Shane isn't playing seeing as he was a B+I Lion last summer.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 14 May 2014, 3:46 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Laugh  Not taking part just yet, so don't get your hopes up.

Its a shame Shane isn't playing seeing as he was a B+I Lion last summer.

isn't it…..poor shane was the best option winger Gats could call on, just nobody else with any class available in B and I.  thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 May 2014, 6:19 pm

Really surprised by our props getting in, though I do think they would look better in a stronger front row and Price is pretty capable in the loose. Gutted for Lewis Evans and Richie Rees, but then the less people we have in South Africa, the better. This game is pointless anyway, as the squad is getting named like a day later or something, so not much is going to change Cement Head's mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if Taulupe was the only Dragon to tour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next